Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,739 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Please I Need Volvo S8o Information - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Please I Need Volvo S8o Information (2892 Views)

Urgent Need. Volvo XC 90. 2005. 3rd Row Seat / Need Volvo 240/740 Wagon / I Need Volvo S40 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by arixreal: 11:14am On Jul 05, 2008
Does anybody no about volvo s80, how good is the car, the maitainance and the fuel consumption. is it low maintainace? these is the car information
* Engine: 6 Cylinders
* Transmission: 4 SPD AUTO
* Drivetrain: FWD
* Doors: 4
* Wheelbase: 109 Inches
* Pass key Security System, Air Conditioning, 16 inch Rim Size, Power Brakes, Power Steering, Dual air bags front, head and sides/active belts, 4 speed automatic Transmission, AM/FM Cassette, 178 Cubic Inch Displacement, Tilt Wheel, Front Wheel Drive, Power Windows, 4 wheel standard Anti-lock Brakes, 6 Cylinders*FREE GIFT WITH EVERY PURCHASE, NEW 4/09 PA STATE INSP, 27 MPG, NEW MICHELIN TIRES, HTD LEATHER, SERVICE RECORDS, OWNERS MANUAL, NEW TIMING BELT, DUAL CLIMATE CONTROL, FACTORY FLOOR MATS, 2 SETS OF KEYS W/REMOTES, FOLDING REAR SEATS, ABS, Air Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Radio, Bucket Seating, CD Player, Cruise Control, Driver-Side Airbag, Passenger-Side AirBag, Side-Impact Airbags, Power Locks, Power Mirrors, Power Seats, Power Steering, Radial Tires, Power Windows, Rear Bench Seat, Rear Window Defroster, Remote Alarm Control, Remote Keyless Entry, Sun Roof, Tilt Wheel, Tinted Glass, Traction Control.

Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by nkc(m): 11:27am On Jul 05, 2008
d car is not low maintenance, and it drinks fuel as a normal 6 cylinder would its an l6

in naija u may not have good experts who know about volvo, incase u have problem, but all in all, d car is off da hook grin grin grin
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by gaskinachi(m): 7:23am On Jul 07, 2008
murderer,murderer,murderer
alternator alone cost 60k, cant even buy that yet cos its insane,just had plug connectors changed, 48k, blew battery had to replace.this car is one sick animal, run as fast as ur legs can carry you.
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by nkc(m): 8:36am On Jul 07, 2008
gaskinachi grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin why u dey run naaaaaaaaaaaaa, s80 is a beast in movement tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by gaskinachi(m): 4:48pm On Jul 07, 2008
did i add that this animals engine cost 600k to replace, just run and dont even try lookin back

@nkc
omo my padi get this ride, the guy don almost die ontop maintenance.by the way where u in lag this weekend?saw a vw just like urs, pz-kja number, was that u?
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by nkc(m): 6:54pm On Jul 07, 2008
well volvo is for d made only grin grin grin grin grin

nope i was not in lag, and when u see me u will know, brand new vw passat, plate number is ? symbol grin grin grin
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by viperman: 11:00am On Jul 08, 2008
I nearly bought this car, had a HUUUUGE crush on it. grin
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by Ivvie: 10:36pm On Jul 08, 2008
`
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by viperman: 9:50am On Jul 09, 2008
vie has spoken cool
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by Ivvie: 3:30pm On Jul 09, 2008
`
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by sojioguns(m): 3:32pm On Jul 09, 2008
I have been doing some research on Volvo cars for the past 3 weeks and I am in love with them. As a matter of fact, I am getting the S60 soon. One thing is: Get a Volvo that is model year 2002+ Cos there were issues with 2002 and earlier models. The ECM (engine computer) needs a lot of software upgrades. This is the thread I was posting on. I asked for some advice and got this:

Well that's a very open-ended question and hundreds of people will give you different responses, and a lot of them just as vague.

For starters, also as a previous owner of japanese only cars and coming from a family loyal to the Honda/Toyota/Acura/Lexus name (I'm the first since my dad's Dodge Dart to own something not japanese) you should have checked the theft rates. Since Japanese cars (specifically hondas) are the most purchased vehicles on the road their parts are often stolen and often so are the entire vehicles. Back when I had CarFax I would be able to give you an accurate number but if you check any car web pages database you'll see that japanese cars tend to top the list in the most unexpected ways. You expect to see Escalades, Hummers, Mercedes, or the likes up on that list (and you do) but instead you see a lot of Accords, Camrys, Integras, and Acuras.

Volvo is not nearly as often stolen because they have a long-standing image as simple, safety-boxes and therefore the demand for them is less.

Now, IN MY OPINION, as a previous japanese car owner that also switched to Volvo here are the top things that I found very very different:

1. Repair & Maintenance: These cars are not nearly as easy to work on yourself as a Honda or Toyota. There are also less mechanics out there for these swede cars, and the ones you will find are fairly expensive. Finding an honest mechanic with reasonable prices is just as hard and important as finding the perfect Volvo. Make sure you shop around for a good parts store and a good mechanic. But be wary that maintenance will be at least double what you paid for your ricer.

2. Uniqueness: This is a great thing in my opinion. One of the main reasons I chose Volvos were because it is a smaller market place. Whenever I see another Volvo driver on the road (especially an s60 or 850) I feel a small connection with them. I remember the day I decided NOT to get a honda: when one day in the parking deck of my apartment complex I stood up out of my girlfriend's Accord and counted all of the Honda's I could see without moving - eight. BMW's - three. Lexus - three. Volvo - one (850)

3. Handling and Ride Quality: Depending on the car you came from depends on the difference. Stock Volvo's tend to feel sort of like driving a small boat (only my experience with S60, S80, S40). The newer Volvos (especially S40) are getting sportier, but they tend to not feel sporty. My Accord, even though just a 4-banger, handled more like a sport car than my turbo S60. But don't let that deceive you: my S60 can get up and GO unlike that Accord could. With the right mods you can make the car feel like a sports machine - but they're not really built for that purpose. They're much more luxurious, have a softer and quieter ride. The ride quality is great - feels the same at 80MPH as at 30MPH. Unlike that Accord which bumped at 30 and felt like it would fly off the road with a good gust of wind at 80.

4. Mods: If you're big into mods the place to check out is ipdusa.com, and also volvospeed. If they don't have it or can't tell you where to get it chances are it doesn't exist. ipd has a great selection and the best mods out there, but to be straight and honest there aren't even 1/2 as many mods for Volvos available as there are just in body kits for Hondas. If you want to customize your volvo it'll take a lot more work and $$$ then would for your Accord.

5. Lifetime: I believe very strongly that Volvos are built to last longer than Hondas. BUT unlike Hondas you have to baby this swedish brick. My sister has drove her Accord over 30,000 miles with oil changes every 5k, tire rotation/balance/alignment, and nothign else. No servicing beyond that, and her car still runs great. I know my Volvo would never be able to do that. But honestly if you baby the car and take care of her you'll find she'll get you far - just look at all of the old Volvo's still banging out there on the road.

That's it for my essay,
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by sojioguns(m): 3:38pm On Jul 09, 2008
Another thing I forgot to add was, STAY AWAY FROM THE HIGH PRESSURE TURBO versions. You can easily tell by the badge. Any model that has a T6 (S80) or T5 (S60) is a high pressure turbo version. But the 2.9T (S80) and 2.5T (S60) versions use low pressure turbo. Personally, I would stay away from all turbo versions. Reason is they generate a lot of heat and even add weight to the engine, not to mention the complexity.
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by sojioguns(m): 3:45pm On Jul 09, 2008
How much is the S80 in the pic? wink
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by Ivvie: 4:12pm On Jul 09, 2008
`
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by Ivvie: 4:15pm On Jul 09, 2008
`
Re: Please I Need Volvo S8o Information by nkc(m): 8:57pm On Jul 09, 2008
Ivvie:

In terms of ride and performance, I disagree to generalise on all Volvo's. My Volvo with its stock shocks are firm and the ride is harsh. It glues the road and there is not a sway when turning nor nose-dive when heavily braking. The issue is the stock go bad quickly. I currently use Bilsteins and will need to replace the springs because it's the culprit for the harsh comfort. Most performance springs are lowered but wouldn't be best because it floods in Houston.

The true Volvo's were the 850 series and up. The S40 is a derivative of Ford Focus. The S60 is the only Volvo designed today still retaining the Volvo platform and Ford is calling it "quit" soon. The Ford Edge and 500 is a rebadged S70.

Many buyers are shying away to the VW / Audi because of the par level of safety and its high side impact safety. Not to also neglect its elegance.

The weight turbo adds to the engine is negligible. It is simply a blower.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 2000 Model / 2000 Nissan Quest, SPACE BUS...........NEWLY ARRIVAL / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.