Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,970 members, 7,828,440 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Taking A Year Off To Travel The World - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Taking A Year Off To Travel The World (537 Views)

Are Somali/Ethiopian People Taking Over Modeling? / Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? / Are Igbos Taking Over Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taking A Year Off To Travel The World by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 18, 2013
There are some Americans/Western Europeans who take a leap year (many times right after graduating college or just to take time off work).

A leap year is just a year off on vacation. Many use this as an opportunity to travel around the world and experience new things/cultures.

A lot see this as a luxury so I can imagine that this is not a priority for most Nigerians.

But for the few Nigerians who are interested in the idea...is this something you plan to do in future?

How and in what ways are you planning for this?

For those Nigerians who HAVE done something like this, how was this possible as far as budget, money, family ties, etc?

More importantly, how were you able to access and experience many countries given "the experience" of being Nigerian (tight visa policies, general prejudice towards Nigerians/Africans)?

Input highly appreciated cheesy.
Re: Taking A Year Off To Travel The World by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 18, 2013
Some people have lived their lives as perpetual travellers for years on end, who technically don't work a 9-5 job but either choose to adventurously live hand-to-mouth or have enough cash to burn.

All their possessions in just 1 or 2 suitcases. Would be interesting to hear from Nigerians like this.

Although I have a feeling that most of the replies here would be from people who travel as part of their jobs.
Re: Taking A Year Off To Travel The World by ccollins(m): 11:07pm On Nov 21, 2013
Same applicable to the founder of rotract club. Travelling has its own rich experience but I do not think it is well valued in nigeria
Re: Taking A Year Off To Travel The World by ccollins(m): 11:08pm On Nov 21, 2013
Nysc is our version after school
Re: Taking A Year Off To Travel The World by EfemenaXY: 10:04am On Nov 24, 2013
I think it'll be a lot harder (financially) for a Nigerian based in Naija wanting to travel round the world, compared to their western counterparts or even fellow Nigerians based in the west.

Besides, the priority for many secondary school graduates in Nigeria is to get into Uni asap, as opposed to travelling round the world.

Finally, I don't want to sound mean, but can you really compare the educational standard of your average Nigerian secondary school graduate, to their western counterpart at the same level upon graduation??

(1) (Reply)

What Attracts You? The Topic Or Expected Comments? / Ibibio Language / Who Prices Most; Beautiful Or Ugly Girls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.