Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,629 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? (1549 Views)

I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria / Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? / Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by Queenisha: 1:55am On Jul 06, 2008
I hear the new trend now is kidnappings and asking for large ransoms.
Are you as concerned as I am?
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by gbeborun(m): 11:44am On Jul 06, 2008
Sorry to disappoint you, no one will abduct you. They have better targets to get to, the fact that you're abroad (that's if you're not in africa) wont make you a target. Never mind my dear, just visit. No one will see you cos u aint a vip
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by lucabrasi(m): 4:41pm On Jul 06, 2008
its all about the mind set,i go everywhere and actually prefer going on walks on the main road,everywhere than driving,people just blow things out of proportion
@poster
as long as you r not staying in the ketus,iyana ipaja e.t.c and theres a generating set,airconditioned house and car then u will have the time of your life
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by brownbonno(m): 5:41pm On Jul 06, 2008
Queenisha:

I hear the new trend now is kidnappings and asking for large ransoms.
Are you as concerned as I am?

Not an inch of concern.They will always be kidnapping all the looyer of government treasuries,ritual killers,swindlers not a common man/woman like.They will tell you welcome.
Only,i said only if you one of those who want to pose that you are from abroad and every other person there is class less.Them you better don;t go there.
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by DisGuy: 6:21pm On Jul 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

its all about the mind set,i go everywhere and actually prefer going on walks on the main road,everywhere than driving,people just blow things out of proportion
@poster
as long as you r not staying in the ketus,iyana ipaja e.t.c and theres a generating set,airconditioned house and car then u will have the time of your life

So its better to be confined to only lekki, VGC and the co to enjoy Lagos?
prisoner in our own state
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by benincitys(f): 11:26pm On Jul 06, 2008
yes i am scared because i have a 14month old baby who is half Nigerian and half Germany i don't want anybody to kidapp my baby she is my life , but god know i am going to Nigerian next year after 7year of not seeing my family , i need to no matter what , there is no place like home.
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by lucabrasi(m): 12:21am On Jul 07, 2008
Dis Guy:

So its better to be confined to only lekki, VGC and the co to enjoy Lagos?
prisoner in our own state
of course not,i personally go everywhere but its best not to frequent them areas plus the hub of clubs and what not on the mainland is ikeja and on the island v.i lekki vgc e.t.c
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by EloSela(f): 10:47am On Jul 07, 2008
I am scared of going to Nigeria. My family are from the Delta region and the last time I touched down there was in 2006. It is ironic that the richest part of Nigeria hardly had any electricity and as soon as it was dark (around 9pm) criminals and other non-entities took over the street.

I find it really funny that people will suggest that if you want to go to Nigeria that one should stay away from the places like Ketu and the like which to me are places that are very real to most Nigerians in that 70% of the populous live like that. To advise one to just stay in places like VGC and Lekki which to me are areas in Lagos that are trying so desperately hard to be westernised and only a minimal amount of Nigerians live that way is quite pretentious in my book. What every happened to sampling the real Nigeria?
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by lucabrasi(m): 11:21am On Jul 07, 2008
well the poster said she s scared of going to nigeria specifically because of the kidnapings and i guess crimes generally,so how is telling him/her to stay away from areas where theres a higher chance of crime being pretentious?
if you ll rather contend with mosquitoes,dirty environment,higher chance of being a crime victim e.t.c because you want to "be real"then good for you and good luck,even in the united states and united kingdom we know there are areas where you are more likely to be a victim of crime than other areas so please,
living in the real nigeria and sampling it are two diffrent things, you can live in a safe area and go check these places out.
that means in the name of sampling the real nigeria the poster might as well visit ateke tom and his millitants,go chill out with the people smoking hemp under the bridge,chill out with the area boys and watch them in operation,take a ride in a couple of molues
@poster
lagos is perfectly safe as long as you watch yourself and take sensible precautions same as any country, u will not leave your child unattended here for instance as therea danger of paedophiles,neither will u leave your mobile phone or money laying aroung because you r abroad
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by komekn(m): 2:46pm On Jul 07, 2008
The watchman watcheth but in vain without the Lord, if you are under his shadow then NO shakin !!!

Otherwise open your eye be wise and sensitive to your environment, if you look like and act like and talk like your not down with the programme and wet behind the ears, you will run the high risk of being a victim. It doesn't matter where you are, Liberty city- Miami; Peckham- London; Enerhen Jct-Warri or Ojuelegba the same rules apply blend or stand out and be marked out.

When i am in Lagos i drive around right up to the early hours no problem, but then i am in right standing with God.

I see people who have been abroad for just a few years, shouting out loud with their newly acquired half accents to announce to all and sundry i am coming from AWAY make una recognise and hail me. Indeed they will get their reward.

All said and done i think Nigeria is just FUN X FUN + GOOD TIMES can't wait to come back. grin
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by Evept(f): 10:23am On Jul 09, 2008
@benincitys
i just came back nigeria a month ago, to be honest i was very scared of kidnaps,arm robbers and i find it dificult to trust people ,even my own family memembers cos of whats going on there.

im married to a white guy and most people over there think im living in paradise which is not so and i couldnt travel with my husband home cos of security.
but anyway,u can go but just be careful,dont out late at night or some setting areas etc ,i wish u a safe journey.
Evept
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by 8ball(m): 10:52am On Jul 09, 2008
EloSela:

I am scared of going to Nigeria. My family are from the Delta region and the last time I touched down there was in 2006. It is ironic that the richest part of Nigeria hardly had any electricity and as soon as it was dark (around 9pm) criminals and other non-entities took over the street.

I find it really funny that people will suggest that if you want to go to Nigeria that one should stay away from the places like Ketu and the like which to me are places that are very real to most Nigerians in that 70% of the populous live like that. To advise one to just stay in places like VGC and Lekki which to me are areas in Lagos that are trying so desperately hard to be westernised and only a minimal amount of Nigerians live that way is quite pretentious in my book. What every happened to sampling the real Nigeria?

I guess the problems in Naija has been overtly blown out of proportion.I guess the way we're being seen by the international community has more than played a significant role to this end.In any case,the truth of the fact is that as long as u maintain the basic safety rules,u'r very much safe.Just that the utter dearth of many social basic ammenities in the country makes it an unattractive destination for naijas abroad but HOME as they say is HOME.4get the media hype,we're not as bad we've painted to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

naiaralanders abi i no talk una mind?
Could s/one rise up to my defence there?
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by ayomifull(f): 4:29pm On Jul 09, 2008
8ball:

I guess the problems in Naija has been overtly blown out of proportion.I guess the way we're being seen by the international community has more than played a significant role to this end.In any case,the truth of the fact is that as long as u maintain the basic safety rules,u'r very much safe.Just that the utter dearth of many social basic ammenities in the country makes it an unattractive destination for naijas abroad but HOME as they say is HOME.forget the media hype,we're not as bad we've painted to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

naiaralanders abi i no talk una mind?
Could s/one rise up to my defence there?

U are right it has been overblown out of proportion and its really sad. I was to participate in a programme called 'No place like home' where i would be interviewed right here in my house and office and then the crew will go to Nigeria to meet my family and friends, interview them etc and it would be featured on a National TV here. We had everything planned out, all paperworks done and all that only for me to be given one funny excuse why it could no longer be possible at the time (last year), after a while a colleague whose friend happens to be part of the crew secretly told me they heard that all whites were being kidnapped in Nigeria. Can you imagine! as if i didn't tell them the family and friends they were to meet stays in Lagos and Oguns state not Niger Delta. The fear of kidnapping is now the beginning of wisdom, not just in the East but now everywhere in Nigeria. Pity.
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by ifyalways(f): 9:33pm On Jul 09, 2008
Blend and mix freely with the ppl.stand out,get marked out lipsrsealed
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by GoldFinch(m): 9:55pm On Jul 09, 2008
Questions most Nigerian ask:

Then: How can we make Nigeria better?

Now: How can we get out of Nigeria?
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by dreeldee: 10:09pm On Jul 09, 2008
Joseph Yobo's brother is yet to be released after he was kidnapped in PH, as far as you're not a joseph yobo family or the like, you're safe. they kidnap only popular figures especially the affluent one but that doesn't mean you should go back home and start making announcement that you're new in town, that's simply endangering your life. No place like home
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by akinalabi(m): 10:42pm On Jul 09, 2008
Don't worry, you will not be kidnapped. grin

At least, me I've not been kidnapped yet. cheesy grin
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by Ijiji1(m): 10:49pm On Jul 09, 2008
akinalabi:

Don't worry, you will not be kidnapped. grin

At least, me I've not been kidnapped yet. cheesy grin

See your life, who wan kidnap you sef. Money you no get, abeg to sit down grin tongue
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by ty4real(m): 1:38am On Jul 10, 2008
Ijiji1:

See your life, who wan kidnap you sef. Money you no get, abeg to sit down grin tongue

No be mekunus den dey kidnap now!I laugh tire o jare grin grin grin grin grin grin grin!
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by tRoOE(f): 2:03am On Jul 10, 2008
If you are scared of going to Naija, abeg no go, abi na by force
No place is safe jare, only the grace of Almighty God that is keeping us alive.

Why won't your be scared since majority of your are going home to show off, even though your are not living a great life abroad.

@benincitys
lmfao cheesy cheesy cheesy what a joker
So you think your baby girl would be kidnap because she's mix ahahahaha, abeg go site down my friend

I had  lot of mix cousins, who lived in Naija for a little while and some still do, the last time i checked none of them were kidnapped yet grin grin

Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by ty4real(m): 11:20am On Jul 10, 2008
tRoOE:

Why won't your be scared since majority of your are going home to show off, even though your are not living a great life abroad.

@benincitys
So you think your baby girl would be kidnap because she's mix ahahahaha, abeg go site down my friend

I had lot of mix cousins, who lived in Naija for a little while and some still do, the last time i checked none of them were kidnapped yet grin grin

Ododo Oro!Some people just like to make noise over what is not,if you dont want to be kidnapped,dont do laulau when you arrive in Nigeria,Keep a low profile grin grin grin grin

Come to think of it ,Why should I be scared of going to Nigeria,Nigeria where make me tough and rugged!Abeg leave
that thing joooo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by benincitys(f): 1:12pm On Jul 10, 2008
tRoOE:

@benincitys

I had  lot of mix cousins, who lived in Naija for a little while and some still do, the last time i checked none of them were kidnapped
[email][img][img][img][flash=200,200][flash=200,200][flash=200,200][flash=200,200][flash=200,200][flash=200,200][flash=200,200][flash=200,200][flash=200,200]
[/code][code]
[/flash][/flash][/flash][/flash][/flash][/flash][/flash][/flash][/flash][/img][/img][/img][/email]

who are you to tell me abeg go site  down  ?  i am not going to Nigerian to show off  i am going to   Nigerian to visit my belove ones , 3years old British was kidnapped at gun point by Nigerian gunman that brings the total upto 200 personal taken by force since 2006 and guess what money is often paid to  release them, the criminal minds thinks not once before they do such act , i am not here to talk of my baby i just say my mind , so please stop   judging people i am here to say what i think not what you think.
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by lucabrasi(m): 1:45pm On Jul 10, 2008
benincitys:

who are you to tell me abeg go site down ? i am not going to Nigerian to show off i am going to Nigerian to visit my belove ones , 3years old British was kidnapped at gun point by Nigerian gunman that brings the total upto 200 personal taken by force since 2006 and guess what money is often paid to release them, the criminal minds thinks not once before they do such act , i am not here to talk of my baby i just say my mind , so please stop judging people i am here to say what i think not what you think.
what she and others are saying is that just cause your daugher is mixed doesnt mean kidnappers automatically will kidnap her,there are thousands of mixed kids in porthacourt who are liasons between nigerian women and expatriates,besides millitants only kidnap expatriates or very rich people/politicians children,we all go to nigeria and we have not been kidnapped yet,i personally drive from the mainland to the island at all hours of the night and i go out at least 5 times a week,so same as britain,america,europe anywhere in the world, dont advertise that u just came back from abroad because in that case they v got no use for your daughter but will set out to rob you,also lets ur wits be about you and like anywhere else be security conscious
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by komekn(m): 2:31pm On Jul 10, 2008
The idea that if you stand out you will be marked out is true no matter where you are, the issue is whether you’re being marked out is in the negative or positive.

However, sometimes there is not much you can do, (Benin-city) if you are married to a white guy in a black environment, whether that environment is Chapel town Leeds, SC Los Angeles, or Nigeria you are distinctively noticeable. In Benin-City there is a unique social perspective that is made in the general of such relationships /marriages as ill informed as it may be, it puts you in a somewhat vulnerable position.

Nonetheless, there are exceptions I have an acquaintance who is white Scottish who works for a Multinational oil company he speaks Itsekeri and Uhrobo better than I can, he moves around the whole Warri town with impunity no fear, no problem and he’s not a Christian. In addition having lived there in excess of twenty years and several wives/ concubines to show he is regarded as a Warri man and his colour incidental. Because of the legacy of sailors past there are lots of mixed race children in Warri, who are living far from affluent lives so the idea that being mixed race equates to $$$ & £££ is not true at least in the Delta, so kidnap is not done on the basis of colour, so worry not.

My advice is to know exactly who you call beloved, why you do and if they consider you as their beloved or a big pays
check coming from Spain to be looted. We have a sister Church in Barcelona that I visit and I have heard some disturbing stories. Furthermore, thought about inviting them your family to Lagos where you can stay with relative security or better still stay in Warri or Sapele.

But fear not just be led -- as the steps of the righteous are ordered by -------
All said and done I just can’t wait to touch down and say thank God I’m back again, Naija we hail thee light or no light.
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by benincitys(f): 3:19pm On Jul 10, 2008
of course
benincitys:

who are you to tell me abeg go site  down  ?  i am not going to Nigerian to show off  i am going to   Nigerian to visit my belove ones , 3years old British was kidnapped at gun point by Nigerian gunman that brings the total upto 200 personal taken by force since 2006 and guess what money is often paid to  release them, the criminal minds thinks not once before they do such act , i am not here to talk of my baby i just say my mind , so please stop   judging people i am here to say what i think not what you think.
not , dat why i said no matter what i AM going to Nigerian next year
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by onyinye2(f): 3:23pm On Jul 10, 2008
well the first time i went to Naija, i was like nine. so i was scared out of my mind. i went with my mom and siblings. i pretty much was sick on the plane. and then my first night was horrible. i silently cried on my bed for my daddy caused i didnt want to be there.
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by Queenisha: 3:30pm On Jul 10, 2008
tRoOE:

You know,it's optional to respond to a thread.
Especially if you sound  erm erm

how do I say this mildly

If you sound illiterate
Re: Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? by Reese1: 4:04pm On Jul 10, 2008
Just take the same precautions you would anywhere else. I don't care if I'm staying in a country rated as the safest to live by some world ranking or whatever, I still go shine my eye well well wherever I am shocked

(1) (Reply)

Tuition Free University For 1year / African Garden Lodge, Omole Phase 1 / How Can I Bring My Family To The States Without Her Waiting For 5 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.