Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,998 members, 7,866,778 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 03:33 AM

I’ve No Power To Appoint Judge – Uduaghan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ve No Power To Appoint Judge – Uduaghan (622 Views)

I’ve No Northern Agenda – Buhari / Dogara Resists APC Leaders' Move to Appoint Gbajabiamila as Majority Leader / Our Biggest Mistake Was To Appoint Fani- Kayode As Jonathan’s Campaign Manager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’ve No Power To Appoint Judge – Uduaghan by nelsonegware: 8:17am On Oct 19, 2013
I’ve no power to appoint Judge – Uduaghan

By EMMA AMAIZE, Asaba
GOVERNOR of Delta State, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, Friday, said he had no power to unilaterally appoint a judge in the state, declaring that the authority rested with the National Judiciary Council, NJC.

Speaking in Asaba, where he inaugurated three part-time members of the State Judicial Council, Messrs Patrick Oganwu, Peter Wanogho and Francis Omatseye, he said the guidelines and processes for appointment of judges, as well as approval were entirely that of NJC with little input from the executive.

Charging the newly inaugurated members to render quality and selfless service at all times, he said, “Only those who meet the 10 years post-qualification guideline and approved by the NJC will be appointed judges. I have little input on who can be appointed, as the NJC must screen and approve the people to be appointed. I cannot unilaterally appoint anybody as a judge”.

He told them to help “chart a robust Judicial Service Commission, capable of producing judicial officers and staff that will offer to the public transparent and unimpeachable justice”.

While reaffirming government’s support for the Commission and the state’s judiciary in the discharge of their respective functions, Governor Uduaghan assured them of government’s readiness to meet their needs within the limits of available resources.

He commended members of the Commission for their invaluable services and enjoined the new members to improve on the achievements on the ground.

Barrister Patrick Oganwu, who responded on behalf of the newly inaugurated members, commended Governor Uduaghan for the massive infrastructure development in the judiciary in the last two years and assured him of the willingness of members to contribute their quota to the development of the judiciary in the state.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/ive-power-appoint-judge-uduaghan/#sthash.ZWxq16c3.dpuf

1 Like

Re: I’ve No Power To Appoint Judge – Uduaghan by nelsonegware: 8:31am On Oct 19, 2013
You are right sir. Powers to appoint Judges actually is vested on the NJC. The Governor can only act based on the recommendations of the NJC. SEE Section 271 of the 1999 Constitution as amended. 271. (1) The appointment of a person to the office of Chief Judge of a State shall be made by the Governor of the State on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council subject to confirmation of the appointment by the House of Assembly of the State.

(2) The appointment of a person to the office of a Judge of a High Court of a State shall be made by the Governor of the State acting on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council.

(3) A person shall not be qualified to hold office of a Judge of a High Court of a State unless he is qualified to practice as a legal practitioner in Nigeria and has been so qualified for a period of not less than ten years.

(4) If the office of Chief Judge of a State is vacant or if the person holding the office is for any person unable to perform the functions of the office, then until a person has been appointed to and has assumed the functions of that office, or until the person holding the office has resumed those functions, the Governor of the State shall appoint the most senior Judge of the High Court to perform those functions.

(5) Except on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council an appointment pursuant to subsection (4) of this section shall cease to have effect after expiration of three months from the date of such appointment and the Governor shall not re-appoint a person whose appointment has lapsed.
Re: I’ve No Power To Appoint Judge – Uduaghan by obazman(m): 1:56pm On Oct 19, 2013
Good talk by EEU.
Re: I’ve No Power To Appoint Judge – Uduaghan by Oildichotomy(m): 6:11pm On Oct 19, 2013
In other words, he never influenced their selection.
And we should believe because he said it.
By the way, the problem with the state infrastructurally rest squarely with the Executive and Legislature. The Judiciary is least of the problems even though they downed tools for some time last year with a strike owing to unpaid allowances and what not.
The Government should focus abeg
Re: I’ve No Power To Appoint Judge – Uduaghan by UYCO: 6:33pm On Oct 19, 2013
The people's governor has said it all. Kudos to the man wey Sabi
Re: I’ve No Power To Appoint Judge – Uduaghan by Garrithe1st: 6:43pm On Oct 19, 2013
Basin-Head Uduaghan.....

Mtscheew......

This one na news??

1 Like

Re: I’ve No Power To Appoint Judge – Uduaghan by oagbanashiymai: 11:08pm On Oct 19, 2013
The Governor is informed and sound ! Garri, learn how to talk in the public domain pls. Na advice oooo
Re: I’ve No Power To Appoint Judge – Uduaghan by Oildichotomy(m): 11:36pm On Oct 19, 2013
Informed and sound??
Niggas please!
Re: I’ve No Power To Appoint Judge – Uduaghan by festusijomoni: 8:27pm On Oct 20, 2013
Uduaghan has said it all. Not more nothing less.

(1) (Reply)

Since Young Black Men Avoid High Maintenance Ladies / Do You See Nigeria Dividing After Her First Centenary Celebration? / I Did No Wrong - Stella Oduah Faces House Committee Hearing Over Car Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.