Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,359 members, 7,860,958 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:49 PM

TRACTATES{1} :: "Detachment".. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / TRACTATES{1} :: "Detachment".. (583 Views)

It Is Better To Be Far From Worldly Atmosphere To Get Detachment From It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TRACTATES{1} :: "Detachment".. by philfearon(m): 8:42am On Oct 19, 2013
I promise i was gonna bring this exposê,and so here i am...
This Tractates{teachings} will run in 3 topics,and "Detachment" will be the first of them....
TOPIC: Detachment
SCOPE : God,Mysticism,The Soul,Humanity and Self-awareness..
FOR : Everyone
Sit back,relax and read on as i will slowly take you into the Mystic,opening your eyez and heart to The things Which you have not yet fathomed...
N:B - This is no cult,and please,no cult following{if you understand what i mean}...Thanks!
Re: TRACTATES{1} :: "Detachment".. by philfearon(m): 8:45am On Oct 19, 2013
Re: TRACTATES{1} :: "Detachment".. by philfearon(m): 8:46am On Oct 19, 2013
Re: TRACTATES{1} :: "Detachment".. by badmeat(m): 8:58am On Oct 19, 2013
Mtcheeew!undecided
Re: TRACTATES{1} :: "Detachment".. by philfearon(m): 9:12pm On Oct 19, 2013
bad meat: Mtcheeew!undecided
I understand your frustration..I Will start Dropping them later bro..Just wait a little bit more
Re: TRACTATES{1} :: "Detachment".. by philfearon(m): 9:13pm On Oct 19, 2013
bad meat: Mtcheeew!undecided
I understand your frustration..I Will start Dropping them later bro..Just wait a little bit more..
Re: TRACTATES{1} :: "Detachment".. by philfearon(m): 11:53am On Oct 20, 2013
I have read many writings by heathen philosophers and sages,of the old covenant and the new,and have sought earnestly and with the greatest diligence to find the highest virtue.This is the virtue which will enable someone to knit closely to God and in which he is most like his examplar,as he was when he was in God,when there was no difference between himself and God,bèfore God created creatures.And having studied all these Scriptures to the best of my ability,i find that this virtue is none other than absolute Detachment from all creatures.Our Lord said to Martha,"only one thing is needed"{Luke10:42},which is as good as saying that anyone who wishes to be serenf and pure needs only one thing:Detachment..
........Our doctors sing love's praises,as did St.Paul,who said "if i.......have not love,i gain nothing"{1Cor13:3}..But i extol detachment above any love.First,because at best,love constrains me to love God.Now it is far better for me to constrain God than for me to be constrained by God..My eternal happiness depends on God and me becoming one;but God is more inclined to adapt Himself to me and can more easily communicate with me than i can with Him..Detachment forces God to come to me..The reason why i say this is that everything likes to be in its own natural state..God's own natural state is unity and purity,and these come from Detachment.Hence,God is bound to give Himself to a heart that is detached..
.......Secondly,i rank Detachment above love because love constrains me to suffer all things for God's sake,whereas Detachment constrains me to recieve nothing but God.Now it is far better to accept nothing but God than to suffer all things for Gods sake..For in suffering,one is concerned with creatures from whom the sufferings comes,but Detachment is free from Creatures..I can demonstrate that Detachment accepts noone but God in this way:
*anything that is recieved must be recieved in something.But Detachment is so nearly nothing that there is nothing rarefied enough to stay in this Detachment,except God..He is so simple,so ethereal,that He can live in the solitary heart..Detachment, then accepts God alone..Anything which is recieved is recieved and grasped by its reciever in accordance with the make-up of the reciever.And so anything concieved is known and understood according to the mind of him who understands,and not according to its own innate concievability..
......The masters praise humility more than most other virtues..But i rank detachment before any meekness,and for the following reasons..Meekness can be without detachment,but complete Detachment is impossible without Humility ..
Perfect humility lies in making the self nothing,but detachment approximates so closely to nothing that there remains no room for anything between Zero and absolute Detachment.Therefore,without humility you cannot have complete detachment....And two virtues are alwaz better than one..
Another reason why i rank detachment higher than humility is this: humility means abasing self before all creatures,and in that same abasement,one goes out of oneself to creatures..But Detachment stays in itself.Now,no going out of oneself,however excellent,is better than staying still..As the prophet has it, "All glorious is the princess within....."{Psalm45:13}..
Perfect Detachment pays no attention to creatures.It is without lowliness and loftiness.It has no interest in being below or above.It is intent on being master of itself,loving noone and hating no one,having neither this nor that,being neither like nor unlike any creature..But,it has no desire at all to be either this or that.He who is this or that is something;but Detachment is absolutely nothing.It leaves things unmolested..
At this point,someone may object: 'but surely in our Lady,all the virtues flourished in perfection,and among them,absolute Detachment.Now,granting that Detachment is better than humility,why did our Lady glory in her lowliness instead of her detachment,and say, "He has been mindful of the humble state of his servant" {Luke1:48} ?
.......My answer is that in God,there is both detachment and humility- so far as virtues can be attributed to God.When God was made Man,it was His loving meekness that made Him stoop to enter human nature while it remained motionless within itself.And it was in meekness that he created the heavens and the earth,as i shall show you later..And when our Lord chose to be made man,he persisted in His motionless detachment..That was how our Lady knew that He expected her to be the same,even though for the time being,He paid particular to her lowliness,and not in her detachment..Had she but once said "He regarded my detachment....",her detachment would have been disturbed and would not have been absolute and perfect,since a going out has taken place..And there,you have the explanation of Our Lady's glorying in her lowliness instead of her Detachment..
To be Cont'd........
Re: TRACTATES{1} :: "Detachment".. by philfearon(m): 1:09pm On Oct 20, 2013
Cont'd:
The prophet said,"i will listen to what God the Lord will say"{Psalm85:8},as though to say,if God would confer with me,then he must come in,for i will not go out..It is Boethius who exclaims,"You men,why do you look without for that which is within You?"..
I prize detachment more than mercy too,for mercy means nothing else but a mans going out of himself because his heart is wrung and goes out to his fellow men in their need..Detachment is free from this;it stays within itself,allowing nothing to disturb it.In short,when i reflect on all the virtues,i find not one so wholly free from fault,so able to unite me to God,as detachment..
It was Avicenna the philosopher who said,"The mind detached is of such nobility that what it sees is true,what it desires comes about,and its wishes must be obeyed"..For you must know that when the free mind is quite detached,it constrains God to itself.If it could remain formless and free from outside events,it would take on the nature of God.But God grants this to noone except and apart from Himself;so,God can do no more for the solitary soul than make it a present of Himself.The man who is in absolute Detachment is carried away into eternity where nothing temporal affects him nor is he in the least aware of any mortal thing.The world is well and trully dead to him,for he has no taste for any earthly thing.St Paul meant this when he declared,"For me,to live is Christ and to die is gain"{Phil1:21}..
Perhaps you will say,'what is detachment then,that it should be so nobble in itself?'
........True detachment means a mind as little moved by what happens,by joy and sorrow,honour and disgrace,as a broad mountain by a gentle breeze.. ..Such motionless detachment makes a man godlike.For God is God because of His motionless detachment;He gets his purity and His simplicity and His unchangeableness from His detachment..If then,a man is going to be like God,so far as any creature can resemble God,it will be by detachment..This leads to purity,and from purity to simplicity,and from simplicity to immovability..This three constitute the likeness between man and God,and this likeness is of grace,for it is grace which draws a man away from mortal things,and purges him from corruptible things.I Would have you know that to be empty of creatures is to be full of God,and to be full of creatures is to be empty of God ..
Now,it must be remembered that God has always existed in this unchanging detachment,and does so still.When God created the heavens and earth,He might not have been making anything at all for all that it affected His detachment..Indeed,i say more than this: prayers and good works performed by a man in time no more affect the divine detachment than if no prayers or virtuos works had taken place in time.Nor is God any more kindly disposed towards such a man than if his prayers and deeds had all been left undone.Further,i declare that when the Son is in His Godhead was pleased to be made man and lived on earth and suffered martyrdom,God's motionless detachment was no more disturbed than if He had never been made man..
Maybe you will say 'i gather then that prayers and good deeds are useless since God takes too little interest in them to be affected by them..And yet it is said that God likes to be prayed to on all occassions?'..
Now mark this,and if possible,understand it..In His first Eternal Glance{if a first glance may be assumed},God saw all things as they would happen,and in that same glance,he saw both when He would make creatures.He saw the humblest prayer that will be offered,the least good deed that anyone would do,and moreover,he saw which prayers and worship He would hear..He saw that tomorrow,you will call upon Him sincerely,desperately pleading with him,and He saw that,nor for the first time,he would grant your request:he has granted it already in His eternity before you ever became man..Suppose your prayer is foolish or insincere,God will not say no to you tomorrow - HE has already said No in His eternity..Thus, God,who has seen everything in that first eternal glance,in no way acts from any cause at all,for everything is a FOREGONE CONCLUSION..
......But though God alwaz remains in motionless detachment,yet men's prayers and good works are not all in vain,for the man who does well is rewarded well..As Phillipus says,"The Creator God holds all things in the course and order he gave them from the beginning."..With Him,nothing is past and nothing is future,and He loves all His saints just as he saw and loved them before ever the world became..Yet when the things which He contemplated in eternity come to pass in time,then people think that God has Changed His mind..But whether he is angry or Gracious,it is we who change and He who remains the same,just as the sunshine hurts the weak eyes and helps strong eyes while the light itself remains unchanged..God does not not see in time,nor is His Outlook subject to Altercation...
To be cont'd..
Re: TRACTATES{1} :: "Detachment".. by philfearon(m): 9:11am On Oct 22, 2013
I will Be back

(1) (Reply)

it's evil;stop nw! / Is It Biblical For Women To Be Pastors / Is The Surname Of Jesus Christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.