Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,753 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review (13160 Views)

ALBUM: Brymo - Tabula Rasa (the Gift) Full Album Download / Album Review: Psquare Double Trouble. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by tnature: 6:39am On Oct 21, 2013
[img]http://4.bp..com/-ltt_G87seyE/Ul9zQlWPKOI/AAAAAAAACWs/9UMYro1VjuY/s576/Brymo-MDS-Art.jpg[/img]

Brymo is one of the artists in Nigeria that has differentiated himself with his kind of music. He has a coarse voice that might not necessary have to move through wide ranges on the octave but even at that, his voice stands out and his kind of music is definitely for the more matured minds. It is interesting to note that in a Nigerian music scene flooded with party music and noise making, some people still choose to stick to their kind of slow paced, philosophical master pieces that hold lyrical depth and beautiful acoustics rather than a combination of artificial combination of beats over fruity loops.

We decided to review Brymo's latest album titled "Merchants, Dealers and Slaves". Let me say that this Album is fantastic, but whether the Nigerian market would appreciate this talent is a different case entirely. That being said, this is a music for the world. If well pushed, Brymo can become a true representative of African music to the world. The album does not lack lyrical depth, acoustic simulation…it sure showcases the depth of the mind of this young man. I am excited for him and I am excited for Nigeria.

First up!!

1. Truthfully

One would almost mistaken this song for an appreciation to a higher being because of the way he says the person is his "blueprint" but lo and behold, he mentions "honey." With a "boom, boom, bap" beat, Brymo delivers a fantastic love song, an acoustic rock instrumentation, a subtle use of vocal harmony, acoustic sonority, and intricate melodic phrasing. He introduces the drums right on the bridge which takes the song to another level just before the rock guitar comes in. This track scores 8/10.

2. Down

The strength of this track is in the traditional drums and the philosophical lyrics. You could easily think he was telling an African folktale to a gathering of young people. He addresses the ills of the society talking about "the thief" that everyone know is a thief and the society seems not to bother because the said thief is a main contributor to the economy of the society. He perfectly uses the string ensemble on this track and at this point listening, I was so sure that this songs could not have been produced by "Jesse Jagz" or "Chopstick" of the Chocolate City because this is definitely not in their genre. Click here to listen to Down

3. Eko

Respect to the Afrobeat movement. This is probably the fastest paced song on the album delivered on strictly Afrobeat with a mild rhythmic syncopation. A good dose of acoustic guitar picking', upbeat lyrics and a tone that seems more like an acoustic rhythm piano. He sings about "Eko", the Yoruba name for the state of "Lagos" - the financial capital of the western African nation of Nigeria. He sings about the goodies of the land like it was his lover in the verse, and then mentions a lady he fell in love with in Lagos on the second verse and finally on the last verse, he dumps the lover. This track is probably the one song with a sing along chorus on the album; just keep shouting "Eko". Click here to listen to the song.

4. Everyone gets to die

Then we cross over to reggae. If you still doubt that Brymo is a class act, then you probably do not appreciate good music. Like I said, the album is strictly a master piece for matured minds. With reggae beats and a rock guitar, Brymo lyrically discusses the ills of the Nigerian society again; he mentions the varying situational needs of the poor and the rich but then emphasizes that regardless of this differences "Everyone gets to die." He also talks about the disparity in his own mind when it comes to moral good. Only a few artistes in Nigeria can boast of such lyrical depth; Nosa, Asa…I can count them on my fingers.

5. Money Ft David

A seemingly Afrobeat mash up on this one too. I like the way whoever has been producing for Brymo chooses to experiment not so familiar tunes and instruments. You would almost think the chief instrument again was a rock guitar but it definitely sounds different from what we have heard before. Money is the topic on this track……"do you like to spend money, do you like to dine and party" he screams on this track, he says "if you go into depth because of such spending habits, you will definitely pay". This is a mixed acoustic and electric guitars presentation, folk influences and upbeat lyrics.

6. Cheap Wines

Wow!! I had to listen to this over and over again. So much depth to this song and its like telling a tale with metaphors and irony. He starts by saying "he is high on some cheap alcohol, flowing over the clouds" and then switches to how he is just a normal man seeking a normal life but history and the environment seems to be against him. The drums, the guitar play a major part on this track as it progresses through varying ranges and elevations.

7. Se Bo'timo

9ice has always been the chief propagator of deep thinking Yoruba songs in Nigeria. This track easily places Brymo as his Number one competition. The Acoustic guitar and the rhythm piano help propagate his message of patience and how everyone should ride of the wings of faith (fate) and allow a manifestation of their season. He says the tortoise keeps moving regardless of what the society thinks of it, it keeps moving. (move at your own pace and you will surely get there) A wonderful string ensemble in my opinion.

8. Dear Titilope

A 15 second interlude

9. Merchant, Dealers and Slaves

The title song of the album is deep thinking single versed philosophical track. Its lack of verses makes it hard to determine what his message is on this track. I will ask him when I see him.

10. Grandpa

Afrobeat again, sings about his grand father. I think its a cynical and ironical song about the man. One of the few groovy tracks on the album that you can actually bump your head to or even dance. I'm particularly interested in the producer of this track. The name of the studio was mentioned on the track. A superb mash up of Afrobeats and modern instrumentation, drums, strings and the rhythm piano.

11. Purple jar

With similar instrumentation like we see on most of the tracks on the album, he talks about how he cheated on his lover; she left him and all he is left with are the memories and a purple jar. The purple jar must definitely mean something worthwhile for the relationship between the lover and the loved. The song transcends between strings, wind and keys.

"Merchant, Dealers and Slaves" is a masterpiece that every one should get. The music is one that can be exported outside the shores of Nigeria. With superb video production for some of this tracks, maybe Nigeria would be looking at a Grammy (or maybe I am just overexcited)…all I am saying is that this is GOOD MUSIC.

I am here already thinking about possible remixes and collabos. A duet with Waje on Purple Jar or Truthfully wont be a bad idea at all. Also a rap verse from MI on Grandpa will also sound good.

You can get the album on iTunes.

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/10/album-review-merchants-dealers-and.html

9 Likes

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by prymesolution: 10:29pm On Nov 23, 2013
Nice review. Whatever happened to his case with Choc City?

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by tnature: 10:58pm On Nov 23, 2013
prymesolution: Nice review. Whatever happened to his case with Choc City?
Thanks, not sure about the status of the case.
Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by alfredo4u(m): 1:07pm On Nov 24, 2013
I didn't c Goodluck Jonathan name there.

Pls go and review your article. Goodluck has hand in everything in Nija.

Strike - Jonathan
Anambra Election - Jega
Nimozin - Stella
Eagles - Keshi
B*mb - BH

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by OuchDaddy(m): 1:08pm On Nov 24, 2013
Space-BOOKED........who go buy?? FOR SALE!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:08pm On Nov 24, 2013
I ll rate it when I listen to the tracks.
Exit thread.
Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by Crixina(f): 1:11pm On Nov 24, 2013
The album title is quite different from the average nigerian album title,I can only hope the content is too.

@Op cool review.

2 Likes

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by imsparkling(f): 1:13pm On Nov 24, 2013
Chughariwa'm na twitter @joyswtie2.................................................................................................................its CHRIST D KING DAY!! Indeed JESUS BU eZE! Ogbara nkiti okwu juru onu! Ogbajiri igwe kpo ya nku! Oji bible agho mgbo! Dike na agha! Jesus oti mbodombo! Nwoke no na elu ogodo ya na akpu na ala! Ukpaka na agba na udu mmiri! JESUS iGWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
tnature:
Thanks, not sure about the status of the case.

Nice review.
Would you be kind as to review Jesse Jagz' "Jagz Nation, Vol 1: Thy Nation Come"
Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by kingthreat(m): 1:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
The album cover art really sucks. It looks like a book cover for those creepy ghost stories.. The creative director behind it needs to be re-examined. He should have consulted the pros in Nairaland's Graphic section, they could have done something more appealing.
Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by Bash92(m): 1:21pm On Nov 24, 2013
Like the guy, most of the track in is last album were really good too. My favourite from is last album are :
If you were mine
See me.
Rendezvous (although very short)
Your Love
Life is too short

2 Likes

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by ifyalways(f): 1:25pm On Nov 24, 2013
First off,I love Brymo's voice. Its husky,rugged and yet finely exciting. Makes one curious,want more.

I love his music. He's different from the "crowd". Does his own thing.

"Eko" is simply the bomb. Cool track. I and my boys sing and dance along. The lyrics is on point, message soo true(reminds me of late Dagrin's "sisi eko"). "Down" is another banger .

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by babadey(m): 1:30pm On Nov 24, 2013
kingthreat: The album cover art really sucks. It looks like a book cover for those creepy ghost stories.. The creative director behind it needs to be re-examined. He should have consulted the pros in Nairaland's Graphic section, they could have done something more appealing.

That's why you've done nothing to add to someones life either it not appealling,more appealling or appealling, the dude did something. Maybe SEUN will pay you for this your comment like brymo paying the dude for his creativity.

Frustrated NigeriEn undecided

4 Likes

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by alaoeri: 1:31pm On Nov 24, 2013
BrymO what a talented dude don't know why he's lagging behind among his contemporaries.
Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by ifyalways(f): 1:32pm On Nov 24, 2013
Ekoooooo kiss

I go go Lagos
I go get money
I go change my life
Get honey
Fine fine girl
Dem go come mo mi
I spend the cash
Gbogbo won judi
Everybody knows
Mo mi igboro
One by one
Two by two

Eko
No let me go
Eko
Your love e sweet me so
Eko
Love you, never let you go
Eko
Tell Titilope I know Lagos

She be fine baby
She dark and lovely
Nwa sisi
Fine fine boys dem dey like to taste
She no get time to waste
Tonight she no mind I go spend the naira
One by one
Two by two

Eko
No let me go
Eko
Your love e sweet me so
Eko
Love you, never let you go
Eko
Tell Titilope

See you no carry come
carry go
Dance the way the show go
Shey you know..ha
Give me more
Want you so
Eko eko….eko eko
Eko eko….eko eko
Hmm hmm hmm
Ha ha ha

Eko
No let me go
Eko
Your love e sweet me so
Eko
Love you never let you go
Eko
Tell Titilope I…

Eko
No let me go
Eko
Your love e sweet me so
Eko
Love you, love you
Eko
Tell Titilope I….

I’m crushing on you too long
Pack my bags I’ll be gone
Love is all I seek for
You let me down just too long

cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
Brymo is the truth. He is a very talented musician and is definitely not a crowd follower. One can obviously tell from his songs and videos. That being said, my best track in this album is "Down". The song is very captivating and has a powerful message behind it.

2 Likes

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by Chanchit: 1:40pm On Nov 24, 2013
alfredo4u: I didn't c Goodluck Jonathan name there.

Pls go and review your article. Goodluck has hand in everything in Nija.

Strike - Jonathan
Anambra Election - Jega
Nimozin - Stella
Eagles - Keshi
B*mb - BH

E be like say u don lick xpired taba..

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by Thayay(m): 1:40pm On Nov 24, 2013
I love eko and down so much.....omoge campus makes me feel better too.....this guy inspires me with his songs

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by ichommy(m): 1:40pm On Nov 24, 2013
alaoeri: BrymO what a talented dude don't know why he's lagging behind among his contemporaries.

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by moshoodn(m): 1:45pm On Nov 24, 2013
Brymo is a classic masterpiece....

Been following him since "Ara".

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by odizeey(m): 1:48pm On Nov 24, 2013
Brymo na boss na,beta bY far musician,sings with understanding no b shake ur bum bum wen our boys dey sing

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by ajasa4link: 1:50pm On Nov 24, 2013
nice review, am getting this album along with iceprince's FOZ tomorrow at alaba ( though I heard the FOZ is not that tight)...Never knew brymo has a new album in the market

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by azimibraun: 1:56pm On Nov 24, 2013
Buying the album 2morow. Dis review gt me racing againts time. Mk I no come hia say the album don finish for market. Nice review anyways, gives me hope once again. Reviews lk dis cld go a long way in making dis morrons we call artiste step up. I jst wonderd, busy signal and dem oda jamaicans wld mk sense in thia music and we nigerians can't. Danm! I miss majek, Raskimone et al. Next review artiste side y side pls. Artiste works shld b compared side by side. Lk brymo and jesse, 2face and Dbanj, Mi and Mode 9 dt way we cld start gettin dept. Nw thia is fire on the mountain. Artiste go begin deny dia songs nw.
Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by horlajide: 1:57pm On Nov 24, 2013
Great work OP. IMO I think Brymo is one of the most underrated artistes in Nigeria but I believe the underdog will rise to the top one day.

prymesolution: Nice review. Whatever happened to his case with Choc City?
Brymo was not represented at the court. It seemed Choc City's legal consultants, failed to serve Brymo the court notice.
The case has been adjourned till 5th of December.

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by camronid(m): 1:58pm On Nov 24, 2013
@op, excellent review, Brymo is simply fantastic. IMO; this the album of the year.

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by tnature: 1:59pm On Nov 24, 2013
mxxpunkxx!:

Nice review.
Would you be kind as to review Jesse Jagz' "Jagz Nation, Vol 1: Thy Nation Come"

Thanks for the encouragement. Will definitely look into it. wink
Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 24, 2013
Brymo's a poet, definitely getting the album. Amazing review by the way.

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by azimibraun: 2:02pm On Nov 24, 2013
Did I hear sm1 saying party songs dnt need to hv dept and make any meaning? Oga wey dey review can u pick all of shaggy's party songs, R kelly, Usher, busy signal, Nas, Jarule an the rest hit dt rocked the world and even dos of 2face and see if dey all dt carry msgs ins dem? All d songs that rocked the world in terms of groove conveyed specific msgs the artiste wanted dem to and wia all nicely done. Except dos of nigerians dt an artiste wld use him mouth to b completeing beats. With no specific mesg to it. 2 face keep on rocking still carry better msg inside. Iheneme carry mesgs wich one all dis caro and skelewu dem carry and ur waist my waist and ginger swagger carry?
Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by tnature: 2:04pm On Nov 24, 2013
camronid: @op, excellent review, Brymo is simply fantastic. IMO; this the album of the year.
Thanks, you can look up FOZ and BGEL album reviews on the site as well - InfoNubia[dot]com
Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by chucky234(m): 2:08pm On Nov 24, 2013
BRYMO!!! Sabi boy.
Iceprince owe Brymo big time for the success recorded by Oleku, that song is crap without Brymo's melodious husky voice.
One of Naija's finest.

1 Like

Re: Brymo - Merchants, Dealers And Slaves - Album Review by azimibraun: 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2013
BB thinz. Bungalow Brain Thinz. Nothing upstairs. Abeg what is wrong with the track Dobale Mode9 did with on fella Mr Gentle? Is that nigerians dnt like and appreciate gud music or Mode 9 no do am well? Still havnt heard the song on any radio station or any outlet on the streets. Dobale needs a review pls. ASAP for that matter. Wtf! Song wey I dey play 100 times a day.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Phyno Ft. Olamide - Augment (Video) / Davido - "Baby Tomato" Video (Unreleased Song) / Download Hiphop Interface Mix Ft. Jay-z, Migos, Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, Drake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.