Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia (12913 Views)

Help For Sickle Cell Anemia And Stroke- Any Hope? / Thiocyanate: An All Natural Cure For Sickle Cell Anemia?i / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by kokolet: 5:41pm On Jun 09, 2006
cry Good day every one, I am new here, but I would need your help, someone told me I can get good advice here and people here tend to be nice and supportive.

Please I have a problem, there is this guy I am dating, I just met him and he is such a nice person and I love him so much, he does same too. He just told me he has sicle cell anemia and I am really confused, thought I have made up my mind to marry him as he is asking me to, but I just want people to enlighten me about this thing, is it that he will not live long or he will die soon, he is about 38 years now, he does not look like someone that has sicle cell.

What should I do

I AM IN LOVE cry
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by ikamefa(f): 6:12pm On Jun 09, 2006
to start with are you SS too or AS , because you did not mention anything about your blood grp if you are not and you are ready to stand by this guy through thick and thin, i mean if u really love him like u said go for it, marry him.people with sickle cell anemia have normal lives too.
thats my 2 cents peace!!!! cheesy
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by diddy4(m): 6:17pm On Jun 09, 2006
i cant remember vividly but i know that if your blood group is AA or AB or O u are can go ahead and marry him cuzz your kids have more chances of not being SS. its all about love. even if your blood group aint like the ones i mentioned above, just follow your heart and goodluck with any decison u make.

my 7 cents. grin
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by mrmayor(m): 8:10pm On Jun 09, 2006
Hi kokolet,
I'm sorry your man has Sickle Cell,
ikamefa:

to start with are you SS too or AS , because you did not mention anything about your blood grp if you are not and you are ready to stand by this guy through thick and thin, i mean if u really love him like u said go for it, marry him.people with sickle cell anemia have normal lives too.
thats my 2 cents peace!!!! cheesy

Please get yourself tested,you both need serious counseling,consider all your options before making up your mind.I wouldn't want to be in your position
check out this link,i hope it helps
http://www.scinfo.org/

Cheers
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by hotangel2(f): 8:23pm On Jun 09, 2006
You should test yourself. And if u really love him, GO FOR IT!
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by bluenubian(f): 8:32pm On Jun 09, 2006
this is a very serious issue, and i insist you do your research b4 taking the plunge, first you have to ask if he has the sickle cell trait -AS or the actual disease SS, if he has jus the trait and u have none then u shud have no problem, it greatly reduces your kids chances of having the trait, u might love him now, but u have ask yourself, what about the kids, if your kids turn out to have the sicke cell, that could be the worst emotuonal stress ever and if are you ready to deal with that, then again you might just be the perfect women for this guy , so ask him more questions and learn more about him, the worst years are when they are kids, so find out how his childhood and how often he got sick. know what you are getting into, before you do, so you dont get hit with surprises down the road
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by diddy4(m): 8:38pm On Jun 09, 2006
true talk,
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by Rhodalyn(f): 12:46am On Jun 11, 2006
all i can tell ya is ''together U can go thru it, thats love, U both gotta fight 4 his Survival besides not all of them die young So all the best kiss kiss

but dont give Up, even when there seems to be no hope, just dont give Up kiss
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by profess: 11:47am On Jun 11, 2006
Hi all,

I have Sickle Cell Anaemia.

I was in a slightly different situation. I met the 'perfect' woman (you know when you've met them), however, she has Sickle Cell Trait (AS). Now, I would not want to put my child through ANYTHING like what I've been through! I have control over that. So me and the 'perfect' woman broke up, and the rest is history.

There is lots to think about but it's mostly it's to do with having children.

Get yourself checked first. But go for it!

Take a look at my website at www.sicklecell.tk. Hopefully it will explain a few things. Please bear in mind that it is MY experience of Sickle Cell.

Osei
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by diddy4(m): 2:45pm On Jun 11, 2006
i feel for u man.
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by kokolet: 7:55am On Jun 12, 2006
Thank you all for your contributions, I am so happy to recieve all your advice and it has given me hope on the whole issue.

well I am O+ and AA genotype, as for that I know I can marry him.

He also told me that he has never recieved blood transfussion, as the mum has always been there with everything. Personally I wouldn't have known he was if he did not tell me. He is so healthy though he is not fat. but he has not physical triat of a Sickle Cell Patient. I love him so much and I am sure we can make it together.

Well I will suggest to him that we go to the clinic to do some test to check our compatibility, I think that is very important.
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Thanks all.
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by diddy4(m): 10:17am On Jun 12, 2006
damn u have same blood type with me. im also O+ and AA genotype. goodluck and extend the wedding invitation to this place. cheesy cheesy cheesy

your kids wouldnt face the problem of the SS thingy.
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by bluenubian(f): 4:16pm On Jun 12, 2006
thingy? undecided
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by diddy4(m): 4:18pm On Jun 12, 2006
come on hun. u know what i meant baby. cheesy cheesy
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by bluenubian(f): 4:23pm On Jun 12, 2006
hmm yeah, thats an european thing
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by diddy4(m): 4:25pm On Jun 12, 2006
yup baby, it is. u got it. bravo. **clapping***. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by chinani(f): 6:29pm On Jun 13, 2006
My dear, I don't know what you should do. I think others have spoken well already. I just wanted to say Good luck w/ everything & stick to your love so that he may cling to you as well! Be blessed! kiss
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by spikedcylinder: 6:43pm On Jun 13, 2006
Goodluck to you o but if you guys are not compatible,dont do it!
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by TESS75(f): 6:53pm On Jun 13, 2006
well if is really love then go for it. i wish you the best . pray always so that you will have the strenght to carry what ever comes.
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by g2drax(m): 11:10pm On Jun 13, 2006
Advice,  Just marry the guy ffs!!! make little babies,  rule the world,  the last thing u want to do is tell urself "I shuld have, ".
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by queen2006(f): 9:40pm On Jun 14, 2006
Well if you don't have sickle cell then I believe you can have healthy babies. It only becomes a problem if both parents have it. Sickle cell anaemia patients, if they take their medication should be fine. It's just like diabetes or high blood pressure that stays with you for your lifetime but can be controlled with medication. Research has developed to a point where the iron levels in the blood can be controlled. A good friend of mine has it and she is doing just fine.

Follow your heart!

Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by ToyM28(f): 1:19am On Jun 15, 2006
Good luck on ur quest it looks like u've gotten d best advice from da best peeps.

But true love shld be followed.
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by tariq: 7:08pm On Jun 15, 2006
hello,
as somebody said already the only problem is if u are A.S/SS if not any of this then you are good to go just follow your heart.
even if you are A.S/S.S you still can have healthy babies but that costs alot (genetics have to be altered).
good luck and i believe God will guide you
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by babadee(m): 8:17pm On Jun 15, 2006
since you are AA, then i dont see much of a problem so go ahead and wear the ring, just remember to extent the chop chop IV here.
good luck
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by nikitareal(f): 12:45pm On Jun 16, 2006
when one is in love,(s)he 4gets 2 considerate what is supposed 2 considered.i ld advise u 2 leave him irrespective of wt u ve(LOVE).xcepf if u r AA.u dnt want 2 bring forth children who wld suffer,do u?its very dangerous.dts wn we come across d sayin"love is blind.love is also stupid as wel as deaf.i ve lost 2 friends 4rm a family cos they were SS.its not 2 late.pray u wldnt bite ur finger and say i thy know.pls think wel.
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by mekoyo(m): 10:33am On Sep 24, 2007
If you are AA then you can go ahead. You have no rpoblem with that.
Moreover he is over 25 already. So you are safe but please be prayerful and be sure he'd God's will for you.
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 24, 2007
simple! keep loving him but DONT MARRY HIM O! shocked
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 29, 2009
it's a good thing 2 be in love,but u have 2 take certain things into consideration
are u AA ?
do u think u can really cope with this ,if yes i advise u 2 go ahead with d relationship
and 4rm d look of things ur guy has a better chance of surviving (u said he's 38 ).
may god help u
don't u try it if u are AS or SS cos even if u have d money 2 know the child genotype b/4 birth
can u risk abortion if u find out it's SS?
pls if u are AS or SS forget abt him cos im talking from what happen 2 my friend
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by bintab(f): 8:00am On Oct 03, 2009
kokolet:

Thank you all for your contributions, I am so happy to recieve all your advice and it has given me hope on the whole issue.

well I am O+ and AA genotype, as for that I know I can marry him.

He also told me that he has never recieved blood transfussion, as the mum has always been there with everything. Personally I wouldn't have known he was if he did not tell me. He is so healthy though he is not fat. but he has not physical triat of a Sickle Cell Patient. I love him so much and I am sure we can make it together.

Well I will suggest to him that we go to the clinic to do some test to check our compatibility, I think that is very important.
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Thanks all.
My dear, you on the right track of love if your genotype is AA.sickle cell anemia does not limit one potentials especially one that have all the support in life.We have people who are living a fulfil life, i have guys who are health fit trainers in their 50s,some medical doctors,some refined nurses and i have couples in US navy.sky can be some people limit. If you truly love this guy go ahead with your marriage. It does'nt seems the guy have sickle cell anemia with the features you described it might be a thalasemia which usually undiagnosed properly in west africa due to sophisticated reagents fot its differential diagnoses. Well all the best as some had written do not forget to invite us for the wedding.
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by notisha(f): 11:54am On Mar 15, 2010
My boyfriend has sickle cell

I Have been dating my boyfriend for a year now and we have been good cos he hasnt had any crises since we started dating but now he has proposed and i told my family members,they all trying to talk me out saying im making a mistake for life but i love him but im scared and im beginning to get confused.wat should i do?
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by notisha(f): 12:00pm On Mar 15, 2010
i am AA and he is SS, he is 30 years old. and he doesnt look it, wat should i do
Re: I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia by MCLOVIN: 12:40pm On Mar 15, 2010
@OP
The guy in question shld be abt 42yrs old this year. I hope you made the right choice.
@Notisha
this is the bain in the life of the SCD patient. If your not lucky you die before 25th birthday. If your not lucky u'll survive well into ur 30s fall in love with an AA person whose family will scatter the whole thing for you.
If you really love the guy sit ur parents down and have an objective discussion with them on why you must 'do what you have to do'.
If they still insist, dont go against them and marry him without their blessing, you'll only be setting yourself for big time problems later.
If after that you need to break up with him dnt betray him or immediately start dating another guy. That way you can avoid killing him with grief. He will eventually get over the relationship and move on.
Im only talking frm experiences of some stuff ive seen and frm what close friennds have experinced.
Hope that helps.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tips On Gaining Weight / Lassa Fever: Anambra Bans Drinking Of Garri / Echendu Foundation Shares Food, Cash Donations, Relief Materials In West Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.