Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,240 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Beards! - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Beards! (661 Views)

Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? / Is It Compulsory For Muslim Men To Leave Their Beards Unkempt? / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beards! by golpen(m): 12:14pm On Oct 21, 2013
Salaam to everyone...

Please share what you know about keeping beards, the advantages/disadvantages, islamic views or otherwise.

Is it compulsory a muslim keeps it?, how does one take care of it? And many more.

Reasonable contributions please...thanks
Re: Beards! by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 21, 2013
wa aleykum salaam wa rahmatUllah.

definitely it is sunnah because there is a hadith about it; how it should be kept and its difference from those of jews, etc who grow beard, too.

some say it is found in the Quran as a command; in addition to verses that say follow, obey Muhammad [SA] as to being witness over you, accepting what he commands you and avoiding what he forbids you, the verse that says one should not imitate the opposite gender is considered specific for keeping facial hair.

the advantage is simply; you are identified as a muslim and in itself is a means of guarding yourself, personally. you can have a big beard and be chasing after a woman like others can without the beard.

the disadvantage, i do not know unless you are not sincerely wearing it for its islamic value. the islamic view is similar to wearing the kimar for women; highly recommended, without anyone telling you that it is recommended not to have beard, but to shave.

you keep it as you keep yourself; clean.

i like it. i have worn beard more than all the years i didnt counting all the years before i spouted a single hair on my chin with it. i cant imagine my face without it. it defines who i am now.

1 Like

Re: Beards! by lanrexlan(m): 5:44pm On Oct 21, 2013
Waleikum Salam brother,you can download this pdf file.It talks a lot about keeping of Beards.
www.kalamullah.com/Books/beard.pdf
Re: Beards! by golpen(m): 7:20pm On Oct 21, 2013
Jazakumullahu-khairan brothers...

I'm very much aware of it as sunnah and I so much love to wear it too. But as a very sweaty person, I don't enjoy it during hot weather and aside sunnah, shaving is not always an option because I have bumps doing that.

I would have loved to download that file, but my device is not pdf compatible...I guess I just have to make some research..

Btw, just out of curiosity. Is it compulsory that a muslim wears it?
Re: Beards! by lanrexlan(m): 7:44pm On Oct 21, 2013
golpen: Jazakumullahu-khairan brothers...

I'm very much aware of it as sunnah and I so much love to wear it too. But as a very sweaty person, I don't enjoy it during hot weather and aside sunnah, shaving is not always an option because I have bumps doing that.

I would have loved to download that file, but my device is not pdf compatible...I guess I just have to make some research..

Btw,just out of curiosity. Is it compulsory that a muslim wears it?
Wa Iyyakum bro.According to what I read,It is Wajib(Compulsory) for all males you are capable of doing so.All the Ulama of Salif-Uh-Sahih including the Four Imams(Hanbali,Maliki,Hanafi,Shafii) says It's Haram to shave the beard.They considered the man who shaved his beard effeminate.
Ibn Abd Al-Barr said:It is prohibited to shave the beard and it is not done except by effeminate men[At-Tamid].
Ibn Tamiyyah stated:It is prohibited to shave the beard[Al-Ikhitiyarat Ul-Ilmiyyah].

The Extent Of Beard
The Prophet(pbuh)'s command is that the beard should be spared and moustaches should be trimmed[Reported by Muslim and Al-Bukhari].The prophet(pbuh) and his companions all keep beard and there's no authentic Hadith that says Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) trimmed his beard.However,there are authentic reports from Sahabas like Abu Huraira,Ibn Umar,Ibn Abass(May Allah be pleased with them) indicating that they used to cut what extended beyond a fist length.
When Abdullah Bin Umar(May Allah be pleased with him) went for Hajj or Umrah,he used to hold his beard with his fist and cut off anything that extended beyond the fist[Al Bukhari]
Thus,the general command of sparing the beard should be restricted to the understanding and practice of the Sahabas, and its length below the chin shouldn't exceed a man's fist.Allah knows best.....Peace
Re: Beards! by golpen(m): 10:36am On Oct 22, 2013
^^

May ALLAH bless you in all ways... Very helpful response.
Re: Beards! by eposho: 8:30am On Oct 23, 2013
Banned already for saying nothing, as if the mod can read my mind.

(1) (Reply)

Myths About Islam Explained! Why Bokoharam Will Rot In Hell / Preparation For Eid / Argentina Helping Iran Cover Up Its Bombing Of A Jewish Community 21 Yrs Ago

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.