Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project (7735 Views)

Senate To Contractor: Stop Work On Otuoke Road Project / Ganduje In Caterpillar, Commissions A Road Project (Photos) / Okorocha’s House Demolished In Orlu For Road Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by smemud(m): 1:33am On Oct 22, 2013
No fewer than 100 buildings were demolished on Monday and countless persons displaced when the Ogun State Government embarked on its road expansion project.
The demolition, which began around 9am, affected structures on both sides of the Ojodu/Alagbole road at Yakoyo and the Sango/Ijoko road all the way down to Ogba-Ayo.
Shops, residential buildings and shanties were lost to the demolition which was carried out to clear structures within 22.7 metres from the road. It was said to have lasted well over six hours.
At Ogba-Ayo along Ijoko road, a shopping complex housing over 70 shops, two petrol stations and scores of residential buildings were destroyed. As of 4pm, Sango residents, whose buildings had also been marked for demolition, were seen hurriedly moving their valuables in preparation for the demolition that would continue on Tuesday (today).
Some landlords and few of the residents at Yakoyo, who spoke withPUNCH Metro,lamented the demolition of their buildings without adequate notice to prepare them for the exercise.
They alleged that the Governor Ibikunle Amosun administration did not compensate them or map out a resettlement plan for the people affected by the demolition.
The owner of a two-storey building at Yakoyo, Mr. Nuhu Aruwa, said he built his house with the money he had saved from 35 years service as an officer of the Nigeria Customs Service.
He said, “I have been living here for the past 26 years. I am a retiree and I manage a paint manufacturing company here. Early last year, the Bureau of Land and Survey came and marked our houses, saying it wanted to expand the road and that people should file their claims for compensation.
“We told them to let us know how they intend to compensate us. At least, my present house is worth N50m.
“Later in September this year, the ministry officials said we should await letters of acquisition and after we agreed on the value of our houses, we could move out.
“They said they would pay us first before we would move out.”
Aruwa, who hails from Kogi State, said he was awaiting the letter when he was told that his house would be demolished on Monday morning.
He said, “No kobo has been paid, no alternative has been provided and they now say I should move out. Move to where? Are we goats? We have children schooling here. Do we terminate their academic programmes? I have served this nation for more than 35 years. I am now retired, and they want to take all I have built in my whole life away from me.”
Another landlord, Mr. Moshood Yusuf, said he built his house in 1986 and caters for his15 member family with the money he makes from rents.
He said the state governor disappointed residents when he visited the area a day to the demolition, without interacting with the landlords to know how they felt.
He said, “The permanent secretary and governor came here yesterday (Sunday). Amosun merely walked with his entourage from Alagbole to Yakoyo Bus-stop without talking to anybody. And all he said was that work would start today and left.”
It was learnt that many of the landlords were confused because their buildings had been marked three different times.
A source said the state government had said initially, that it would only clear structures within 5.2 metres distance from the road. This was later increased to 13 metres and then 22.7 metres.
Many residents were caught unawares by the demolition and appealed for time to evacuate their property. Others protested the demolition and were seen making frantic calls to officials of the state government.
PUNCH Metroobserved that some residents were not at home when the caterpillar began pulling down some structures.
Around 9.30am, an officer from the Bureau of Lands addressed a group of landlords.
The unidentified officer said, “All I will advise you is that you should take the pictures of your property and take to the Bureau of Lands for documentation. The issue of forms and letters do not concern the governor. Once he comes and gives orders that work should begin, we must begin to work. If there is any report that nothing has been done, they could send in policemen and I don’t want that here. Just get evidence that you are the owner of the house.”
As the demolition continued, some of the residents wept.
A resident, Rukayat Moshood, said, “We didn’t know it would happen like this. It was too sudden. At first, we were told it would only affect the shops and a little part of the building. Then the governor came yesterday and said work would begin. We don’t know where we are packing to now; we have no idea.”
The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure, Kayode Ademolake, told our correspondent on the telephone that the residents were opposed to change in the state.
He said, “They were served two years ago and even in the last three months, we still reminded them. But you know that even if you give some people 1,000 years, they will still continue to be there. When development is about to take place, there will be resistance, so we are not surprised.
“No responsible government will however continue to watch a road that has been degraded for over 30 years without doing something about it.
“Some of these people don’t even have proper documentation for their houses, and yet the government is ready to compensate them for their losses.”
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:25am On Oct 22, 2013
You id!ot with a 'sourceless' story!

If only u av realized that no 'credible' news agency will come forward and say demolished structure's owners were duly compensated.

This is Ogun State!

Let's talk abt ur erosion ravaged land!
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by ifyalways(f): 6:22am On Oct 22, 2013
Berger - akute road nko? That road is beyond horrible !
Demolition is easy na to build the "road" afterwards be the main koko.

2 Likes

Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Ismahill(m): 6:40am On Oct 22, 2013
Hnmm.dis country,even if dy dn mark d building since 2011.people go say govt no gv dm notice.bt nt really happy 4 nt been compesated.
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 22, 2013
The people should know dat other people's houses were demolished for them to ply the roads they've been plying.

in ibadan and ogbomosho, house were demolished, even my granny's house too but with due compensation to follow. You need to see the good roads they are mounting which opens up such areas, something PDP couldnt do after 10yrs in office.

up APC.

4 Likes

Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Big4wig(m): 9:30am On Oct 22, 2013
Don't be surprised if ur told dat some of them were not settled,,its regrettably lugubrious....

#BIGWIG BIGWIG,NASO U TAKE LIKE FP POSTS
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Lucaskid(m): 9:31am On Oct 22, 2013
Hmm amosun is working,ogun is getting better while some pple re crying for aus demonish #turning ogun to new york lolz
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Maczeelly(m): 9:32am On Oct 22, 2013
Gud 2 hear..,..hahahaha
#Amosun is working.... Ogun is moving forward#

1 Like

Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Hamazz1: 9:32am On Oct 22, 2013
Talk abt giving d people dividends of democracy.keep it up.
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Pretyangel25(f): 9:33am On Oct 22, 2013
Hmmmm
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Myque1(m): 9:34am On Oct 22, 2013
Interesting.
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by icekidjten(m): 9:36am On Oct 22, 2013
smemud: No fewer than 100 buildings were demolished on Monday and countless persons displaced when the Ogun State Government embarked on its road expansion project.
The demolition, which began around 9am, affected structures on both sides of the Ojodu/Alagbole road at Yakoyo and the Sango/Ijoko road all the way down to Ogba-Ayo.
Shops, residential buildings and shanties were lost to the demolition which was carried out to clear structures within 22.7 metres from the road. It was said to have lasted well over six hours.
At Ogba-Ayo along Ijoko road, a shopping complex housing over 70 shops, two petrol stations and scores of residential buildings were destroyed. As of 4pm, Sango residents, whose buildings had also been marked for demolition, were seen hurriedly moving their valuables in preparation for the demolition that would continue on Tuesday (today).
Some landlords and few of the residents at Yakoyo, who spoke withPUNCH Metro,lamented the demolition of their buildings without adequate notice to prepare them for the exercise.
They alleged that the Governor Ibikunle Amosun administration did not compensate them or map out a resettlement plan for the people affected by the demolition.
The owner of a two-storey building at Yakoyo, Mr. Nuhu Aruwa, said he built his house with the money he had saved from 35 years service as an officer of the Nigeria Customs Service.
He said, “I have been living here for the past 26 years. I am a retiree and I manage a paint manufacturing company here. Early last year, the Bureau of Land and Survey came and marked our houses, saying it wanted to expand the road and that people should file their claims for compensation.
“We told them to let us know how they intend to compensate us. At least, my present house is worth N50m.
“Later in September this year, the ministry officials said we should await letters of acquisition and after we agreed on the value of our houses, we could move out.
“They said they would pay us first before we would move out.”
Aruwa, who hails from Kogi State, said he was awaiting the letter when he was told that his house would be demolished on Monday morning.
He said, “No kobo has been paid, no alternative has been provided and they now say I should move out. Move to where? Are we goats? We have children schooling here. Do we terminate their academic programmes? I have served this nation for more than 35 years. I am now retired, and they want to take all I have built in my whole life away from me.”
Another landlord, Mr. Moshood Yusuf, said he built his house in 1986 and caters for his15 member family with the money he makes from rents.
He said the state governor disappointed residents when he visited the area a day to the demolition, without interacting with the landlords to know how they felt.
He said, “The permanent secretary and governor came here yesterday (Sunday). Amosun merely walked with his entourage from Alagbole to Yakoyo Bus-stop without talking to anybody. And all he said was that work would start today and left.”
It was learnt that many of the landlords were confused because their buildings had been marked three different times.
A source said the state government had said initially, that it would only clear structures within 5.2 metres distance from the road. This was later increased to 13 metres and then 22.7 metres.
Many residents were caught unawares by the demolition and appealed for time to evacuate their property. Others protested the demolition and were seen making frantic calls to officials of the state government.
PUNCH Metroobserved that some residents were not at home when the caterpillar began pulling down some structures.
Around 9.30am, an officer from the Bureau of Lands addressed a group of landlords.
The unidentified officer said, “All I will advise you is that you should take the pictures of your property and take to the Bureau of Lands for documentation. The issue of forms and letters do not concern the governor. Once he comes and gives orders that work should begin, we must begin to work. If there is any report that nothing has been done, they could send in policemen and I don’t want that here. Just get evidence that you are the owner of the house.”
As the demolition continued, some of the residents wept.
A resident, Rukayat Moshood, said, “We didn’t know it would happen like this. It was too sudden. At first, we were told it would only affect the shops and a little part of the building. Then the governor came yesterday and said work would begin. We don’t know where we are packing to now; we have no idea.”
The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure, Kayode Ademolake, told our correspondent on the telephone that the residents were opposed to change in the state.
He said, “They were served two years ago and even in the last three months, we still reminded them. But you know that even if you give some people 1,000 years, they will still continue to be there. When development is about to take place, there will be resistance, so we are not surprised.
“No responsible government will however continue to watch a road that has been degraded for over 30 years without doing something about it.
“Some of these people don’t even have proper documentation for their houses, and yet the government is ready to compensate them for their losses.”
k
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by 3ace(m): 9:37am On Oct 22, 2013
Thank God o, finally the road will be expanded. What that fool Gbenga failed to do. The slowpoke said the people of that area didn't vote for him and as such they wouldn't taste development. The fact is you become everybody's leader whether they voted for you or not. And not leader of those who voted for you.
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by bastien: 9:37am On Oct 22, 2013
I just pity d people involved, watched it on TVC yesternight,saw a matured man,(I mean someone's father) crying and those mumu people still video am dey ask am question!!

2 Likes

Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by eaglechild: 9:38am On Oct 22, 2013
Very despicable act by an insensitive APC govt.
Demolition of structures should always be done following adequate notice and due compensation.

3 Likes

Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by oluwashaddow(m): 9:38am On Oct 22, 2013
ifyalways: Berger - akute road nko? That road is beyond horrible !
Demolition is easy na to build the "road" afterwards be the main koko.
it is dat Same road dat leads to berger,and I guess dey will b doing it section by section since it is divided into almost four sections bt all dsame na to give us good roads na im mata
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by warlei(m): 9:39am On Oct 22, 2013
Sacrifice...
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by ShenTeh(m): 9:39am On Oct 22, 2013
Feofle will camflain anyway.

Trabelling through Agbomasho zhe oather day, that road prom zhe city linking zhe new highway to Ilori, I noticed zhat zhe demolition being done zhere appected more recent buidings than more aged buildings. Why? Our genaration has a knack por daring zhe law.

One Naijiriya Mallam Gwamna. Keef it uf.

3 Likes

Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by datola: 9:39am On Oct 22, 2013
Kudos to Ogun state government on the road construction going on every where. They should however compensate all the people affected.

2 Likes

Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Incrizz(f): 9:43am On Oct 22, 2013
smemud: As the demolition continued, some of the residents wept.

'Don't know why I feel sad.
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by alaoeri: 9:44am On Oct 22, 2013
So happy am from SW, we moving other regions are beefing.
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Truthisit: 9:49am On Oct 22, 2013
bastien: I just pity d people involved, watched it on TVC yesternight,saw a matured man,(I mean someone's father) crying and those mumu people still video am dey ask am question!!

Dera Governor Amosun, Kindly look at the plight of these people. The only houses that has been of abode for them for decades are being pulled down. Please compensate them adequately.

Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by jammyunn(m): 9:51am On Oct 22, 2013
did anyone else notice that the title of this thread is grammatically wrong?

i hope the government pays some compensation.
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 22, 2013
icekid-jten:
k
Durrhhh! Are you a he-goat? No lemme hammer u with e-slap o! Oluku oshi...
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by eaglechild: 9:52am On Oct 22, 2013
bastien: I just pity d people involved, watched it on TVC yesternight,saw a matured man,(I mean someone's father) crying and those mumu people still video am dey ask am question!!

We need to be empathic when we approach such sensitive issues, imagine one's life savings and toil swept away in the blink of an eye.
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Onyenna(m): 9:55am On Oct 22, 2013
Damn
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by HisMajesty1(m): 9:57am On Oct 22, 2013
The above mentioned Mr Aruwa is a friend's uncle... Damn this is sad!
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Burger01(m): 10:20am On Oct 22, 2013
The last time I went to Abeokuta I was like "what bulldozer hit the town?". All in the name of Road Projects houses were being demolished like say na pure water.

angry
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Wittywizard(m): 10:37am On Oct 22, 2013
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by Wittywizard(m): 10:42am On Oct 22, 2013
SLIDE waxie: You id!ot with a 'sourceless' story!

If only u av realized that no 'credible' news agency will come forward and say demolished structure's owners were duly compensated.

This is Ogun State!

Let's talk abt ur erosion ravaged land!
what is this 1 saying... Between d mod & u who is sayin nonsence... Abeg... Take go & c for urself & stop being toothless & handless askin for source... Id!otic non§ence
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by gboye1999: 10:49am On Oct 22, 2013
Development comes with some price particularly where there hasn't been any Urban Plan being followed or enforced over decades. There will be the attendant need to remove obstacles to infrastructure projects...we can not have truly urban cities without well paved roads, drainage systems, well laid out residential towns. Where we have decided to break away from such past there will be some pains.

It is however the responsibility of any sane government to mitigate or reduce the effect of these pains on its people.
It is sheer wickedness, height of irresponsibility were buildings are pulled down without compensations or alternatives provide. Our governments must learn how to engage its people. No reason why a governor can not engage his own tribe, people right on streets he may have provided with their common wealth or taxes.

The government is being hasty if indeed no compensation has been paid.
Re: Over 100 Building Demolish For Ogun Road Project by DrMuzungu(m): 11:20am On Oct 22, 2013
Building can only be demolish[b]ed[/b], not demolish.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reps Summon MTN, Glo, Others Over Job Losses / Traditional Ruler Drowns In Delta Floods / An Okada Man (hausa) Stabs A Trader To Death (igbo) Naij.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.