Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,742 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington (4078 Views)

Bayelsa Govt. Reveals Real Cause Of Alamieyeseigha’s Death / Cause Of Lagos Explosion Revealed / Mark Begs Britain To Assist Nigeria On Insecurity (2) (3) (4)

Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Nobody: 6:16am On Oct 22, 2013
Corruption, Cause of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington

A former United States ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Walter Carrington, on Monday said that insecurity and the developmental challenges confronting Nigeria were caused by corruption.

Carrington therefore advised the citizens to hold the leaders accountable and tasked the electorate to ensure that their votes served as an instrument to bring development.

He spoke at the 29th convocation lecture of the University of Ilorin, Kwara State. The lecture was titled, ‘On the dawn of Nigeria’s second century: challenges to a new generation.’

He counselled that corrupt and inefficient leaders should be voted out of power.

He said, “The problem of corruption leads to other problems, problem of insecurity and others. The good thing about democracy and the right of people to vote is that the people also have a responsibility to keep those who govern accountable to them.

“A cure must be found for the corrosive cancer of corruption.

“It is important, it seems to me, to insist that in future election, you demand that corruption be not only an issue to be discussed, the people who seek your vote will tell you exactly how they intend to fight corruption and if the ones in power do not do so, you can use your power to continue to remind them and in the next election, you vote them out of office. That, it seems to me, is the only way that it can be done in a democracy.

“But it is important to realise that from the very bottom-up, how serious the whole corruption is; whenever there is a story on television or newspapers about some misdeeds by some elected officials, my wife always say, ‘that will be nothing in Nigeria. They will never even be questioned.’ Whereas in US, they end up in jail for things that you will not even often question people about.

“So it is extremely important that there will be transparency and that you insist that every money that comes into the treasury is accounted for so that the people know how their money is being spent. That happens in US.”

He said that efforts must be redoubled to create an environment in which character and virtue are rewarded and not scorned.

The ambassador said it was regrettable that there had been many good people of high character who later yielded to corruption after putting up a good fight.

He noted that the country was blessed with great human and material resources. He said Nigeria had unmatched pool of human resources, adding that no country in Africa had such a richness of human capital, regretting however that many bright Nigerians were forced to leave the shores of the country during the military era.

“What made Nigeria the country that I looked up to for so long was the fact that it produced some of the most educated, most talented black people to be found anywhere on earth,” he said.

Carrington said that women should be given more opportunities to showcase their talents and potentials, describing them as a veritable force in national development.

He also said the country should diversify its revenue base from oil and gas to agriculture and other sectors of the economy, adding that there was the need to boost the processing industry such that Nigeria could process more of its raw materials which are currently being exported.

He said, “Nigeria has been too long an underperformer on the world stage. It has ceded to South Africa the pride of place as Africa’s leading spokesman. When the G-8 or other gatherings of the world’s most powerful nations occur, it is more often to Johannesburg that they call than to Abuja on those all too rare times when they seek an African perspective.

“In its second century as more than a geographical entity, Nigeria must at last realise its full potential. Even now, as woefully neglected as it has been, its manufacturing sector produces a large proportion of West Africa’s goods and services.

“What it has done for the region, it can certainly in the years ahead do for the entire continent.”

Source

Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Extom(m): 7:27am On Oct 22, 2013
We tell you say we nor know where the problem dey come from
All we want is a solution to the problem, not the cause... We always knew the cause right from the inception.

Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by dridowu: 8:41am On Oct 22, 2013
Ds is not news anymore, we know our challenges in ds con3. Lot of corruption here and there from the root to d top.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Myque1(m): 9:02am On Oct 22, 2013
Something new please...
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by strawgirl(f): 9:03am On Oct 22, 2013
On point. But... We need the way forward. Let's stop talking and ranting....and start ACTING.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Big4wig(m): 9:03am On Oct 22, 2013
Buh we all know dat corruption is d main ingredient dat has been killing dis nation for decades now,so its no news

btw av u heard dis
««MTN I DON PORT OOO FOR ASUU»»

My School don dey portable,
E mean say,
I fit to carry myself go Ghana,
Easy,
Enjoy the Lectures wey no get part2,
ahhh-- ahhh ,
The Matric number wey I dey use now and before,I go carry am go there,
I don Port ooo, I don Port oo, I don Port oo go Ghana,
Kirikata, Kirikata,Kirikata,Kirikata,
Carry the same Course go,
I don upgrade to non-striking....
SWITCH TO GHANA UNI
Retain your Matric Number before you get Old...

#BIGWIG reporting

Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Youngzedd(m): 9:04am On Oct 22, 2013
We knew it already.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by costandi(m): 9:07am On Oct 22, 2013
Big4wig: .
Don't worry you won't get likes this time.

Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by mrperfect(m): 9:07am On Oct 22, 2013
Well, he didn't say anything new, aren't we aware of it?
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Big4wig(m): 9:08am On Oct 22, 2013
costandi:
Don't worry you won't get likes this time.
e go shock u for balls
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by fishmakas: 9:09am On Oct 22, 2013
Dat na una wahala
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Lilimax(f): 9:14am On Oct 22, 2013
Corruption? undecided angry?
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 22, 2013
Ofcousre,He's on point and everyone knows dat.

I once said that the PDP brought the said corruption in its fullness in the 2nd Republic and it's been consolidated by the present for-runners and apostles.

These days in Nigeria,politicians are celebrated after indulging in an obnoxious act,pardoned,freed as the case of The former Govs whose files are pending in the court without been tried.

U're @ your own peril if you criticise the government without being an eminent figure with security aid or in the diaspora as the case may be else,your case will be forgotten no sooner.

The whole system is corrupt and as my Lecturer in school will always say 'anything goes on in Nigeria'.Mark my words,the embattled Aviation Minister,Stella.O would still be left off the hook and the juniour staff who revealled this will be nailed as time elapses.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Ola2njee: 9:17am On Oct 22, 2013
Everybody say ''ALL IZZ WELL''
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by hairbraiding: 9:19am On Oct 22, 2013
Yes. Sadly the same corruption has eaten deep into all facets of the society. So, not just the leaders, but apparently everyone is guilty of it.

Even your dog Bingo, no go stay for house if you no give am "Roger" smiley

http://www.hairbraidingnetwork.com/
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by prodam(m): 9:20am On Oct 22, 2013
For those of you saying we know it, we know that. You knew it and you have failed to provide a solution to it, that means you know nothing. The first step in solving a problem is to first identify and understand that problem.
If all this while, we still have some people, mostly youths who still condone this current government and can still give up their lives to make sure they rule again, then we don't know anything.
it is because of the fact that we don't know anything, that caused a sympathizer to intervene.
Thank him and stop insulting him.

Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Keffebabe(f): 9:23am On Oct 22, 2013
I said Nigeria is hvn problem wit corruption but uncle Jona said corruption is in third position..things they surpose to face they wont,just be doing unnecessary things around
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Pukkah: 9:25am On Oct 22, 2013
On another thread a few days ago, I had reasons to mention that corruption is the greatest facing the country. Surprisingly, one of the Pay Per Post/Page (PPP) government apologists said the problem was not corruption but 'structure'.

Many people are even aware that the faulty structure got there courtesy of corruption. Unfortunately for Nigerians, the present government either lacks the guts or the ability to fight corruption.

The EFCC is broke. A former governor was pardoned. Ministers are doing what they like. Nigeria is paying pension to retired British colonialists. Oil theft is massive and unprecedented. Ex-militants now own private jets and universities. Oil subsidy skyrocketed. Refusal to implement Oronsaye Committee's recommendations to reduce waste in government, etc

Where is that PPPP (Paid Per Page Poster) to come and explain himself or earn his 'Pay'?

Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by shangpearlz(f): 9:25am On Oct 22, 2013
Nigeria will get dere by force,by fire or by revolution...
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 22, 2013
Pukkah:
Many people are even aware that the faulty structure got there courtesy of corruption. Unfortunately for Nigerians, the present government either lacks the guts or the ability to fight corruption.

This much is clear even to the dog on the street.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by zonalmarket(m): 9:28am On Oct 22, 2013
what so disappointing in the country is not the so called Corruption, is that every 1 here know it and each just trying to use it for achievement.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by eluquenson(m): 9:34am On Oct 22, 2013
Its the simple truth, but nigerians don't want the truth anymore cos they admire lies.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by nerodenero: 9:45am On Oct 22, 2013
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by tchaik(m): 9:46am On Oct 22, 2013
[quote
author=prodam] For those of you saying we know it, we know that. You
knew it and you have failed to provide a solution to it, that means you
know nothing. The first step in solving a problem is to first identify
and understand that problem.
If all this while, we still have some people, mostly youths who still
condone this current government and can still give up their lives to
make sure they rule again, then we don't know anything.
it is because of the fact that we don't know anything, that caused a
sympathizer to intervene.
Thank him and stop insulting him. [/quote]

Thank you so much!!!

GREED + INDISCIPLINE = CORRUPTION.

Lets focus on these two 1st.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 22, 2013
the ambassador gave you the solution for a way forward in first paragraph; hold the leaders accountable and use your vote to effect desired change [my understanding of what he said].

if nigerian are truly anti corruption and eager to move from criminal mindset and the tribal with religious dogmas, by now somebody should be talking about the snow job that needs do over that iweala okonjo is covering your eyes with. she is a bad actor unless she impressing those who do not know what good performance is.

gej needs to be taken to task by the nigerians and don't guarantee his second term until he begins to act like president of nigeria instead of 'can we all get along' half asleep leader who is best as pretense while many knows he is an oil baron, directly and through his wife and her affiliates.

look if i live in nigeria, and i have enough money to waste on these two clowns of president and educated but definitely over praised minister of finance who has done nothing, i will get a battery of good lawyers to sue them, every where in the nation so that they can sit up instead of slouching and nigeria is worse every day they are leading her people.

how is the president and the finance minister not ashamed that ghana is better than nigeria and today we have association of unemployed graduates, coupled with university degree is not the entry level for a truck driver under dangote? wow. get and iweala. wow.

if only there were socially conscious lawyers ready to fight these two pretenders.

Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by danny301: 9:59am On Oct 22, 2013
Extom: We tell you say we nor know where the problem dey come from
All we want is a solution to the problem, not the cause... We always knew the cause right from the inception.

You cannot find any meaningful solution to any problem if the problem itself is not well analysed... You may know the problem yet lack understanding of it... The man is on point.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by norigams(m): 10:12am On Oct 22, 2013
[quote author=tchaik]

Thank you so much!!!

GREED + INDISCIPLINE = CORRUPTION.

If no be corrupion d 2 hav no room 4 dis con3
Lets focus on these two 1st.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Lucaskid(m): 10:25am On Oct 22, 2013
Oga na solution we need jare.Mtcheew
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by trolling(m): 10:28am On Oct 22, 2013
corruption it is but you guys can't do jack about it, the inhabitants of the earth will always be in darkness till Light comes.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by gerrardomendes(m): 10:30am On Oct 22, 2013
Big4wig: Buh we all know dat corruption is d main ingredient dat has been killing dis nation for decades now,so its no news

btw av u heard dis
««MTN I DON PORT OOO FOR ASUU»»

My School don dey portable,
E mean say,
I fit to carry myself go Ghana,
Easy,
Enjoy the Lectures wey no get part2,
ahhh-- ahhh ,
The Matric number wey I dey use now and before,I go carry am go there,
I don Port ooo, I don Port oo, I don Port oo go Ghana,
Kirikata, Kirikata,Kirikata,Kirikata,
Carry the same Course go,
I don upgrade to non-striking....
SWITCH TO GHANA UNI
Retain your Matric Number before you get Old...

#BIGWIG reporting
with dis kine talent, u no nid skul.
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 22, 2013
ebenezer4o2: Ofcousre,He's on point and everyone knows dat.

I once said that the PDP brought the said corruption in its fullness in the 2nd Republic and it's been consolidated by the present for-runners and apostles.

These days in Nigeria,politicians are celebrated after indulging in an obnoxious act,pardoned,freed as the case of The former Govs whose files are pending in the court without been tried.

U're @ your own peril if you criticise the government without being an eminent figure with security aid or in the diaspora as the case may be else,your case will be forgotten no sooner.

The whole system is corrupt and as my Lecturer in school will always say 'anything goes on in Nigeria'.Mark my words,the embattled Aviation Minister,Stella.O would still be left off the hook and the juniour staff who revealled this will be nailed as time elapses.

Don't say what u don't know. Oduah will surely be sacked!
Re: Corruption, Cause Of Nigeria’s Insecurity – Carrington by Eigegejames(m): 10:57am On Oct 22, 2013
Mr carrington may God bless you for us talk to them about that corruption on our behalf. Thanks you shall live long you shall inherit your offsprings in Jesus name.

Fashola Blasts TAN, Says Jonathan Govt Has Nothing To Offer Nigerians / TY Bello Shares A Very Powerful Photos Of GEJ And Buhari / Meet Sani Abacha's Daughter Sagesse Gumsu And Her Lovely Son Aboubakar(pics)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49