Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? (1453 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? / The Igbo Values Of Success, Education And Hardwork: A Case Of The Robeson Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Fulaman198(m): 9:24pm On Oct 22, 2013
I want to hear what everyone thinks of this? Since most cultures are male dominated, do people think that it is men who want to hold onto traditional cultural values? And do they believe it is women who tend to rebel against traditional cultural values when women leave their home town/home country?
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by bigfrancis21: 11:24pm On Oct 22, 2013
I'll say Men are the custodians of culture. They are they ones who keep it and ensure that it is maintained in the society. While women/mothers are the transmitters of the tradition/culture from generation to generation given that they spend more time with the children than the fathers do. They are the ones who make the cultural impression on children at an early age.

3 Likes

Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Fulaman198(m): 12:16am On Oct 23, 2013
bigfrancis21: I'll say Men are the custodians of culture. They are they ones who keep it and ensure that it is maintained in the society. While women/mothers are the transmitters of the tradition/culture from generation to generation given that they spend more time with the children than the fathers do. They are the ones who make the cultural impression on children at an early age.

Very nicely said, who else has opinions on this?
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by MamiWata: 11:24am On Oct 23, 2013
I agree with bigfrancis21. Women will raise our children in ways that are consistent with our own cultures as long as men allow our cultures to survive and be seen as valuable. What I mean is that men fight most of the battles (political, territorial, etc.) that determine whether cultures live or die.

1 Like

Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
First, can we spell out these traditional cultural values? Then we can take it up from there why anyone would rebel against the status quo and why the other would like to maintain it. Let's list them, first.
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Fulaman198(m): 6:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
stillwater: First, can we spell out these traditional cultural values? Then we can take it up from there why anyone would rebel against the status quo and why the other would like to maintain it. Let's list them, first.

Cultural values include but are not limited to: language, music, food, tradition, behaviour, etc. etc.
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
Fulaman198:

Cultural values include but are not limited to: language, music, food, tradition, behaviour, etc. etc.

Take out language, music, food, don't think anyone would rebel against such, lol unless you want things like hunger to kill you.

Anyway what I meant was listing general traditions women are rebelling or would rebel against and traditions men uphold.

1) the idea of men being the provider and women not working (which I believe is a borrowed tradition because in traditional African setting women worked). Today you hear of some women saying their husbands don't want them working. But you have to agree the general consensus is for the man to be the provider across cultures.

So I want us to be specific and list what exactly is causing the divide.
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Fulaman198(m): 7:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
stillwater:

Take out language, music, food, don't think anyone would rebel against such, lol unless you want things like hunger to kill you.

Anyway what I meant was listing general traditions women are rebelling or would rebel against and traditions men uphold.

1) the idea of men being the provider and women not working (which I believe is a borrowed tradition because in traditional African setting women worked). Today you hear of some women saying their husbands don't want them working. But you have to agree the general consensus is for the man to be the provider across cultures.

So I want us to be specific and list what exactly is causing the divide.

In some societies, women play very pivotal roles. That's why I didn't mention work, because in Fulbe society (Fulani society) women work very hard. They work just as hard if not harder than men. What I meant is the teaching of traditional things like music, language, food, discipline (which comes from both parents), etc.
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Nobody: 1:35am On Oct 24, 2013
Fulaman198:

In some societies, women play very pivotal roles. That's why I didn't mention work, because in Fulbe society (Fulani society) women work very hard. They work just as hard if not harder than men. What I meant is the teaching of traditional things like music, language, food, discipline (which comes from both parents), etc.

I think such things are generally taught by women to their kids. And I don't think women have rebelled against such. undecided
To the bolded, the problem here was that despite working, women not men were/are still primarily expected to take care of the home front as nurturers.
It would have been easier to do that in those days, because people were literally their own bosses (as in have their own farms, you can take your child to the farm) and it was a communal society with families living together, so kids have people looking out for them. This african proverb even puts it to light - It takes a village to raise a child. grin
This is not practical today because you are likely to work for someone else, you can't take your kid to work and you don't even live with your extended families.
But men would rather maintain the status quo (so far it worked for our ancestors, right, why can't it work for us- according to them) and it comes across as if women are rebelling against their nurturing disposition by preaching partnership between husband and wife. Times have changed and some traditions like this need to be tweaked.
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Nobody: 4:12am On Nov 01, 2013
Fulaman198: I want to hear what everyone thinks of this? Since most cultures are male dominated, do people think that it is men who want to hold onto traditional cultural values? And do they believe it is women who tend to rebel against traditional cultural values when women leave their home town/home country?

I think both hold onto traditional cultural values for the most part. Especially when it comes to food, music, and most traditions. However, being that many cultures are male dominated, there are obviously some "values" i.e behaviors, that are abruptly and rightfully chucked out as unfair/unimportant by women ( and men).

Having grown up in the West, I've learned some aspects of the culture from my mother and some from my father, some from both, some through stories of their lives growing up( not through applied practice within our home), and more still through visits back to the home country.

It was not as if my mother was swiftly dropping the traditional cultural values every chance she got and my father was right behind her making sure the dropped items did not fall to the ground, holding onto them for dear life, the sole preserver.

LOL, that i some picture you've helped me paint, Fula.
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Fulaman198(m): 8:05am On Nov 01, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

I think both hold onto traditional cultural values for the most part. Especially when it comes to food, music, and most traditions. However, being that many cultures are male dominated, there are obviously some "values" i.e behaviors, that are abruptly and rightfully chucked out as unfair/unimportant by women ( and men).

Having grown up in the West, I've learned some aspects of the culture from my mother and some from my father, some from both, some through stories of their lives growing up( not through applied practice within our home), and more still through visits back to the home country.

It was not as if my mother was swiftly dropping the traditional cultural values every chance she got and my father was right behind her making sure the dropped items did not fall to the ground, holding onto them for dear life, the sole preserver.

LOL, that i some picture you've helped me paint, Fula.

Lol interesting insight Enlightened, I appreciate your thought process on this
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Nobody: 12:07am On Nov 02, 2013
Fulaman198:

Lol interesting insight Enlightened, I appreciate your thought process on this

No problem. smiley If I could think of one thing, I'd say the importance of keeping the language was stressed by my father. When we were kids, any other language (at home) was discouraged. It was kinda tough because my siblings and I were already linguistically confused from the constant moving around that took place due my father's job.

1 Like

Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Fulaman198(m): 12:09am On Nov 02, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

No problem. smiley If I could think of one thing, I'd say the importance of keeping the language was stressed by my father. When we were kids, any other language (at home) was discouraged. It was kinda tough because my siblings and I were already linguistically confused from the constant moving around that took place due my father's job.

That makes sense, but good of your father for stressing the importance of keeping the language. Would your mother have cared if you did not speak Somali?
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Nobody: 12:39am On Nov 02, 2013
Fulaman198:

That makes sense, but good of your father for stressing the importance of keeping the language. Would your mother have cared if you did not speak Somali?

She cared. She would tell us to speak it as well, but she'd still converse with us if/when we didnt. If we did the same to father, he'd say "come again?" or keep silent until we figured out that he wanted us to say it in Somali. This is at home.

There are other languages. We picked up the Afar language while we were in Djibouti and use phrases of it our speech. Arabic was learned for the understanding of religious text and also due to our stay in Egypt yearssss ago, French is our code language out in public when we dont want people to understand what we're saying (I was actually born in France myself, it's where my parents met). Italian is my father's language of choice for swearing! Perhaps that is because he's the only one who understands/speaks it.

1 Like

Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Fulaman198(m): 1:21am On Nov 02, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

She cared. She would tell us to speak it as well, but she'd still converse with us if/when we didnt. If we did the same to father, he'd say "come again?" or keep silent until we figured out that he wanted us to say it in Somali. This is at home.

There are other languages. We picked up the Afar language while we were in Djibouti and use phrases of it our speech. Arabic was learned for the understanding of religious text and also due to our stay in Egypt yearssss ago, French is our code language out in public when we dont want people to understand what we're saying (I was actually born in France myself, it's where my parents met). Italian is my father's language of choice for swearing! Perhaps that is because he's the only one who understands/speaks it.

Wow, that's a lot of different languages. I'm sure speaking Somali though there is a less probability people would understand you than if you spoke French. There are far more French speakers than Somali speakers. Africa alone has 27 French speaking countries. I guess if you are at a Somali meeting you can speak French since Somali Djiboutians can speak French and Somalis from Somalia can not.

I like your father's and mother's thought process.
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 07, 2013
Fulaman198:

Wow, that's a lot of different languages. I'm sure speaking Somali though there is a less probability people would understand you than if you spoke French. There are far more French speakers than Somali speakers. Africa alone has 27 French speaking countries. I guess if you are at a Somali meeting you can speak French since Somali Djiboutians can speak French and Somalis from Somalia can not.

I like your father's and mother's thought process.

Yes, but It's rare to come across French speakers where I live.

1 Like

Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Fulaman198(m): 7:20am On Nov 07, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

Yes, but It's rare to come across French speakers where I live.

In all honesty, I'm not a fan of euro languages, but if it is a means that Africans of various ethnic backgrounds must use to communicate with one another, then I'll do it.
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 07, 2013
Fulaman198:

In all honesty, I'm not a fan of euro languages, but if it is a means that Africans of various ethnic backgrounds must use to communicate with one another, then I'll do it.

I've noticed you have a strong viewpoint. What brought it about, if I may ask?
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Fulaman198(m): 7:40am On Nov 07, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

I've noticed you have a strong viewpoint. What brought it about, if I may ask?

When some Nigerians abroad attempted to speak with a hardcore wannabe British or American accent and thinking that speaking in such a way is superior. Also, when you speak your native tongue to them, and they answer you in a Euro language, that started my anti-campaign of the utilisation of Euro languages.
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 07, 2013
Fulaman198:

When some Nigerians abroad attempted to speak with a hardcore wannabe British or American accent and thinking that speaking in such a way is superior. Also, when you speak your native tongue to them, and they answer you in a Euro language, that started my anti-campaign of the utilisation of Euro languages.

Lool, their thinking so does not make it a truth. And I don't think it warrants a campaign, we're utilizing a Euro language right now? A pro ( African languages?) campaign is would be more fitting, and positive to boot.
Re: Do Men Want To Hold Onto Traditional Cultural Values Moreso Than Women? by Fulaman198(m): 8:29am On Nov 07, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

Lool, their thinking so does not make it a truth. And I don't think it warrants a campaign, we're utilizing a Euro language right now? A pro ( African languages?) campaign is would be more fitting, and positive to boot.

That is true

(1) (Reply)

100 Things You Did Not Know About Africa/black People / Ooni Of Ife Offered Pastor Adeboye The Highest Sit In The Palace / What Ikwere People Told Igbo Man Claiming Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.