Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,440 members, 7,954,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:19 AM

Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems (14705 Views)

NISDEBATE: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems. / ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? / ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by kcjazz(m): 3:57pm On Oct 24, 2013
Unfortunately, strike is an option because of our type of leaders. Dialogue is good but when it fails then it is a problem. What are the alternatives?
1. Invest more in education per UNESCO, most importantly measure outcomes.

2. Encourage more private universities. NUC needs to step up measures to improve quality. More so most private universities are failing cos they are Jack of all trades, be like Lagos Business School, nothing wrong in having a university of Law degrees rather than stretching funds.

3. Invest in our National Scholarship fund to include private universities.

4. There should be a pension pool for both private and public lecturers. Reduces the power of the union and helps private universities get better lecturers.

5. FG should hire professional negotiators. Can't understand how you agree to something and can't fulfil it. Pay scale should be set and reviewed every 10 years taking account of inflation.

6. Remember the goal is for a better education. Every party needs to chill and be patriotic.

1 Like

Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by TheLastNazgul(m): 4:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
Insomuch as strikes birth several problems- bringing the educational sector to a halt, et al , I still think they are the best option for a clime like Nigeria where we have a headstrong government. I believe if ASUU was a bankruptcy threatened private jet manufacturing company or a money laundering agency, government would have done the right thing by now, pulled out all stops to end the impasse . The truth is you put your money where you mouth is, and it is shamefully obvious that the maw of the government is anywhere but in the education sector hence the insipid disinterest. BTW, I'd really like to know what other options exist aside strikes cos it's seems there's a stark paucity of other options hence strikes are readily employed by aggrieved workers.
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Davo93(m): 4:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
@Lord Babs; Your choice of words are too strong... You can make your positions known without insulting anyone. Please try and work on that.

BTW, As per your question on the current ASUU strike, the article is neither justifying the FGN or ASUU but rather trying to explain why strike is not a good approach to our educational problems.

Another option to strike? I guess you didn't read the whole 'voluminous' write-up. I suggested two ways;
1. Strategic Dialogue
2. Court Action

The strategic dialogue i mean here is trying to carry some necessary groups along. In a situation whereby we realize we have a stubborn government in power, there is a need to be more smart in dialogues. I believe involving the lawmakers of our land in such crucial matter will be helpful. They are in charge of the budget allocation verification and approval. I believe once they are successfully integrated in such dialogue, they will have to let the FG be aware of their commitements whenever a budget is passed before the house thereby compulsorily ensuring that provision is made for such agreement in the budget plan. Also, the masses should not only get to know what is going on only when a strike has been initiated. They too need to be carried along.
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Tinkybabe(f): 4:19pm On Oct 24, 2013
Lord Babs: Are you minding the clownish write-up? Even an industrial nationwide strike becomes almost immune to the Nigerian Government, let alone dialogue, which hitherto, had burgeoned the government's deliberative table. Besides, framing Strike as 'archaic' is hypothetically crucifying and subjugating the expediencies of RADICALISM, since the subject matter is one of the fulcra of radicalism. And by the way, it's only a mischievous f00l or ignoramus that will say Nigeria needs no holistic metamorphosis!

Easy on the grammar man cheesy.Nigerian students are on strike.

The strike which should have been the effective way of making the government hearken to these demands doesn't seem to be achieving it's desired result and the reason isn't far-fetched.
The government is aware that there are alternatives to federal university education-private and other universities that didn't partake in the strike action.Given this,there's no extra pressure on them to implement the signed agreement.

If the sector affected were to have a heavy and direct impact on the aggregate production of the country,they(the government) would have yielded a long time ago .

And quite frankly,if strike doesn't work,I doubt any other national action would except we seek international intervention.

It's just so sad that the innocent ones(students)are the ones to suffer the brunt of this.
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by danny301: 4:28pm On Oct 24, 2013
There are different approaches to addressing issues in life but the approach on uses in addressing an issue depends not only on the person he is dealing with but also the society in question... It's true that strike has its negative effects on our universities but it is equally true that the negative effects on the universities cannot be more terrible than what lack of infrastructures, maintenance, funding etc have already done to these universities... In addition, we all know that the government of Nigeria does not understand any other language that violence... Lecturers are on strike today not because they loved to strike like thunder but because that was the last weapon available in their arsenal after federal government failed to honor its own agreement... All of us know that the court cannot compel the government to fund schools so why suggesting it.
I am not a Lecturer and I am not holding brief for the Lecturer but I make bold to say that the they (Lecturers) are fighting a just fight to secure a place for our education system in the world... The average Nigerian is naturally intelligent compared to other nationals but hardly will a graduate from a Nigerian university be considered for post-graduate (masters) admission in many universities in America, Europe and even Asia because what we called Universities in Nigeria are just big fences and mighty gates... Our politicians know how important good facilities in the universities are to the academic ( intellectual) well being of the students that is why the sent their children to universities with very good facilities outside the country... They have over 3 billion to build houses for the four principal officials of the national Assembly (even when these officials are staying where millions of Nigerians can never stay for the whole their lives), they have money to be maintaining ten air-crafts in the presidency, only one agency under the ministry of aviation had 255m to buy cars for a Minister who already had many cars, etc but they do not have money to fund the universities... For me,the Lecturers should keep on striking even harder than thunder until their requests are granted...

3 Likes

Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Memyselfu2009(m): 4:32pm On Oct 24, 2013
Strike is not the way forward but if unions are on strike an negotiation re going on it best union call of strike to show d government that they re really fighting for d interest of others as for ASUU if they have oriented student about d reason why dey want to go on strike it would ve been better and also the timing is bad meaning universities mean they would have allow d semester to end before d strike now d strike have done more harm 1. D academic calendar have change 2. Final year student wouldn't graduate 3. Law students wouldn't go to law sch.
Most of us only find out the reason why ASUU was on strike online nd they say they re fighting for us

2 Likes

Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Memyselfu2009(m): 4:34pm On Oct 24, 2013
Well i now understand that ASUU re selfish ASUU, saying that most of their demands are not applicable in any part of the world. “You can tell the future of a nation by the state of the schools, and the state of schools in the country is pathetic,” he said. “Where else in the world do you pay for examination allowance?  Is that not the job of the lecturers? You pay for postgraduate project supervision: is that not the job of the professors?”
Indeed they re greedy
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by McLuhan(m): 4:38pm On Oct 24, 2013
Nigerians easily forget that it took five years of arduous negotiations (2004-2009) for the FG and ASUU to arrive at that agreement. Afterwards, the union wrote 52 letters of reminder between 2009 and 2011, pleading with government to implement the agreement. ASUU also adressed scores of press conferences, embarked on countless courtesy visits to public office holders, religious leaders and traditional rulers, appeared before the Senate and House of Representatives committees on education, and held public enlightenment rallies - all to no avail. It took a warning strike in December 2011 for government to even acknowledge the existence of the agreement and to condescendingly and grudgingly implement just one of its provisions, which had to do with the retirement age of professors.

So when people deploy disingenuous arguments to absolve government of blame in this crisis, I simply laugh. It is either they don't know what they are talking about or may have been sponsored as purveyors of government's apologia. Nobody should attempt to cover their clever lies and artful inexactitudes by couching them in grammatical flourish and rhetorical unctuousness. Nigerians are not fools; they know who caused this avoidable crisis.

For the avoidance of doubt, I should like to add that ASUU is not the problem of tertiary education in Nigeria, nor will long essays on Nairaland provide the solution. The problem lies with a government that prioritizes the maintenance of a 10-aircraft presidential fleet and the acquisition of exotic bulletproof cars for cabinet ministers, while neglecting the education of its citizenry. The solution lies with a sensitized citizenry who will wake up and say no to the continued mortgaging of their children's future.

1 Like

Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Davo93(m): 4:45pm On Oct 24, 2013
Memyselfu2009: Well i now understand that ASUU re selfish ASUU, saying that most of their demands are not applicable in any part of the world. “You can tell the future of a nation by the state of the schools, and the state of schools in the country is pathetic,” he said. “Where else in the world do you pay for examination allowance?  Is that not the job of the lecturers? You pay for postgraduate project supervision: is that not the job of the professors?”
Indeed they re greedy
I appreciate those statements pal. In as much i wouldn't want to take side in this imbroglio because i believe the two sides have their blames, i will not also fail to say ASUU's demands are very questionable. If truly the current strike is really targetted at what they make Nigerians believe it is as against their sole benefit, i think there are lots of things that should have preceeded the strike even if at all they will go on strike.

You are telling us your primary fight is to find solution to the rot in the education sector. Are Universities the only section of the education sector that you want 50% of their allocation to go to universities??

1 Like

Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by liteville: 5:38pm On Oct 24, 2013
I think your article is a classical example of naivete at its peak. It's quite glaring whose sides you're on. Firstly, the premise on which your analysis is based is largely flawed; who said strike action is violent? I am sure you are not aware of the so many mass protests and strike action that Martin Luther King was involved with. The problem with most Nigerians is that we're always focused on the immediate gain. We don't look at the effect the rot in the sectors has on the system holistically; and we will continue to shortchange ourselves until we learn that, we have to make sacrifices to eventually get what we want.

I also do not think your article was well researched, otherwise you would have known the many overtures ASUU has made to the Federal Government (FG) to reach an agreement devoid of strike which yielded no fruitful result. The most important question should be, why should the FG enter into an agreement she wasn't interested in honoring? The terms of the agreement should be mutually binding on the parties involved and if that's not the case, the erring partner should be brought to book unless there is a new agreement that has been mutually committed to.

As far as I'm concerned, if the strike is going to take 2 years to resolve, then so be it, if that will bring some level of sanity to the educational sector. Indeed, what are you learning in these schools anyway? Even in some of the supposedly best universities in the country, the level of dilapidation the institutions are faced with is alarming. The infrastructures are nothing to write home about. Even more worrisome is the quality of human resources in our universities. The really good hands are old and retiring and the universities are unable to attract the best of hands anymore. You have a case of frustrated graduates (after looking for job for God-knows-how-long) returning to man the affairs in the universities. They have no thorough grasp of what the subject matter is all about and they are more concerned about meeting their basic needs than attending to the needs of the students.

You also don't quite believe that ASUU is fighting what they claim they are fighting for; how exactly do you measure genuineness. Have you seen the terms of the agreement? Only when you have done so would you understand. The only reason why strikes have not been effective is because they are not being done well. It should be a case of "strike until meaningful results" are obtained. That's the only effective language that is understood if only it is done well. Mind you, the dialogues they have had are countless. Several warning strikes have been embarked upon to no avail. FG has shunned several meetings and you still don't think the strike action is worth it? Curiously though, why is it that ASUU gets the most flak when it comes to strike actions? Why can't we turn the table and say - FG, honor the terms of agreement once and for all and let's see if they give results.

The educational sector is a shadow of itself; nothing in that system works. Again, If it's going to take a 24-month strike to bring some sanity into the system, then so be it. Whatever is worth doing at all, it's worth doing well. If we are going to have a university education, the least we deserve is the best, anything short of that is unacceptable.

4 Likes

Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by orgasticdance: 5:48pm On Oct 24, 2013
a major thrust of ur essay seems to be that increasing the allocation towards education would end most of the problems that bedevil it. i'll say that even if u increased the allocation to 100% politticans and the di.ck heads that make up nigeria's ledaership elite would simply gravitate towards the educational sector with their rent seeking mentality and other well known vices. here's precisely what the lecturers want: to be on the same level with politicians. naija has become this gravy train and every one wants in on the action. if u think about it hard and long enough. all the money allocated to education will not create jobs. what this society need is jobs for its citizensand not too much theory. tertiary education has to be pruned down to size.the ever swelling rank of unemployed graduates who have no jobs post graduation should have convinced everyone by now undecided.

1 Like

Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Davo93(m): 6:17pm On Oct 24, 2013
liteville: I think your article is a classical example of naivete at its peak. It's quite glaring whose sides you're on.
Your thinking anyway. I not supporting an action initiated by ASUU obviously seems i'm on the FG's side but thats not true. If you read carefully, there are places i debunked some of the FG's actions.

Firstly, the premise on which your analysis is based is largely flawed; who said strike action is violent? I am sure you are not aware of the so many mass protests and strike action that Martin Luther King was involved with. The problem with most Nigerians is that we're always focused on the immediate gain. We don't look at the effect the rot in the sectors has on the system holistically; and we will continue to shortchange ourselves until we learn that, we have to make sacrifices to eventually get what we want.
Violent in the sense that, it poses forceful bad effects on our education. Immediate gain you say? The long term effects of strike are even worse than its short term effects. This is also explained in the piece. Still don't forget, i'm not encouraging the continued decay of the sector.

[s]I also do not think your article was well researched,[/s] otherwise you would have known the many overtures ASUU has made to the Federal Government (FG) to reach an agreement devoid of strike which yielded no fruitful result. The most important question should be, why should the FG enter into an agreement she wasn't interested in honoring? The terms of the agreement should be mutually binding on the parties involved and if that's not the case, the erring partner should be brought to book unless there is a new agreement that has been mutually committed to.
I sincerely blame the FG at this point for failing to keep to terms of agreement. Its disgusting!

As far as I'm concerned, if the strike is going to take 2 years to resolve, then so be it, if that will bring some level of sanity to the educational sector. Indeed, what are you learning in these schools anyway? Even in some of the supposedly best universities in the country, the level of dilapidation the institutions are faced with is alarming. The infrastructures are nothing to write home about. Even more worrisome is the quality of human resources in our universities. The really good hands are old and retiring and the universities are unable to attract the best of hands anymore. You have a case of frustrated graduates (after looking for job for God-knows-how-long) returning to man the affairs in the universities. They have no thorough grasp of what the subject matter is all about and they are more concerned about meeting their basic needs than attending to the needs of the students.
Even if it will take 2 years to 'resolve'? Are you a student in the university at the moment?
@Bolded part; the assurance is not guranteed but the damaging effects are so sure. I also agree with those damaging effects you mentioned.

You also don't quite believe that ASUU is fighting what they claim they are fighting for; how exactly do you measure genuineness. Have you seen the terms of the agreement?
There are so many reasons to justify my proposition that the primary aim of this strike is not to salvage the education sector rather than what i regard as 'purse enriching struggle'. Yes, i have gone through the agreements, its a very great one except for some one or two that i don't personally fancy.

The educational sector is a shadow of itself; nothing in that system works. Again, If it's going to take a 24-month strike to bring some sanity into the system, then so be it. Whatever is worth doing at all, it's worth doing well. If we are going to have a university education, the least we deserve is the best, anything short of that is unacceptable.
We all admit there are problems in the sector but strike is not an efficient tool to resolve it. Hence, a very wrong approach. The yorubas would say, ''the medicine for headache is not beheading oneself"

Thanks
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by tomzman: 6:25pm On Oct 24, 2013
Op, though I couldn't finish your writeup, I must commend the writer for some good writing skills i noticed.
Now to the main issue. I think the question we should ask ourselves is 'who or what is the cause of the incessant strikes we have been exeriencing ever since?' I'm sure your answer would be the government. The truth is that the country's educational system is in ruins and the government is not ready to act. We all know that strike is not a good thing but someone or something has to force the government to act and from what I have seen so far, strike is that thing. A government that signed an agreement since 4 years ago and did not implement it, do you think such a government would do anything if the lecturers continue to teach in the name of 'strike is not the way forward'. Let's stop deceiving ourselves with grammer and sentiments, until we stand up and address the cause of the problems facing the system, things would not be right.
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by LordBabs(m): 6:35pm On Oct 24, 2013
Davo93: @Lord Babs; Your choice of words are too strong... You can make your positions known without insulting anyone. Please try and work on that.

BTW, As per your question on the current ASUU strike, the article is neither justifying the FGN or ASUU but rather trying to explain why strike is not a good approach to our educational problems.

Another option to strike? I guess you didn't read the whole 'voluminous' write-up. I suggested two ways;
1. Strategic Dialogue
2. Court Action

The strategic dialogue i mean here is trying to carry some necessary groups along. In a situation whereby we realize we have a stubborn government in power, there is a need to be more smart in dialogues. I believe involving the lawmakers of our land in such crucial matter will be helpful. They are in charge of the budget allocation verification and approval. I believe once they are successfully integrated in such dialogue, they will have to let the FG be aware of their commitements whenever a budget is passed before the house thereby compulsorily ensuring that provision is made for such agreement in the budget plan. Also, the masses should not only get to know what is going on only when a strike has been initiated. They too need to be carried along.
Sheer misrepresentation. First, you don't teach me diction, ok? Second, I don't remember insulting anybody; reread my posts. Third, sequence of dialogue had been herein before adopted by the warring party futilely. Court action is demonstrably an appeal to dissuasion and time wasting(coming from a Barrister in training). Hence, the invalidity of the sententious write-up. Time betrays me...I would dwell more for reaffirmation.
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Davo93(m): 6:39pm On Oct 24, 2013
tomzman: Op, though I couldn't finish your writeup, I must commend the writer for some good writing skills i noticed.
Thanks

Now to the main issue. I think the question we should ask ourselves is 'who or what is the cause of the incessant strikes we have been exeriencing ever since?' I'm sure your answer would be the government. The truth is that the country's educational system is in ruins and the government is not ready to act.
I agree with you and also the problems spiced by the employees in numerous ways.

We all know that strike is not a good thing but someone or something has to force the government to act and from what I have seen so far, strike is that thing. A government that signed an agreement since 4 years ago and did not implement it, do you think such a government would do anything if the lecturers continue to teach in the name of 'strike is not the way forward'. Let's stop deceiving ourselves with grammar and sentiments, until we stand up and address the cause of the problems facing the system, things would not be right.
FG is largely insecere, no doubt! My brother, since you admit strike has very dangerous effects on our education, then why proposing injuries on our sores. I still propose a 'strategic dialogue'. I so much have a huge believe in its effectiveness.
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by LordBabs(m): 6:54pm On Oct 24, 2013
Davo93: My brother, since you admit strike has very dangerous effects on our education, then why proposing injuries on our sores. I still propose a 'strategic dialogue'. I so much have a huge believe in its effectiveness.
Just a question: why does every country own an army? At least, the ICJ and other courts are there to adjudicate on conflicts, while employing all possible manners of 'strategic dialogue'. Or are soldiers trained in dialogue or war? Going by your line of thought, we could as well say that we don't need soldiers, police and other special forces in the world, because their official deeds have a dangerous effects on the polity. Subscribe to logic and see thoughts swayed from infantile petulance.

Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Davo93(m): 7:04pm On Oct 24, 2013
Lord Babs: Sheer misrepresentation. First, you don't teach me diction, ok?
Alright! It was just an advice.

[s]Second, I don't remember insulting anybody; reread my posts.[/s]
Third, sequence of dialogue had been herein before adopted by the warring party futilely.
I think it must be more strategic, i explained what i mean by that earlier.

Court action is demonstrably an appeal to dissuasion and time wasting[b](coming from a Barrister in training)[/b]. Hence, the invalidity of the sententious write-up. Time betrays me...I would dwell more for reaffirmation.
So you mean there is no hope in the judiciary where you serve on this matter? Good to know i'm discussing with a barrister to be. Nice meeting you sir cheesy

1 Like

Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Davo93(m): 7:17pm On Oct 24, 2013
Lord Babs: Just a question: why does every country own an army? At least, the ICJ and other courts are there to adjudicate on conflicts, while employing all possible manners of 'strategic dialogue'. Or are soldiers trained in dialogue or war? Going by your line of thought, we could as well say that we don't need soldiers, police and other special forces in the world, because their official deeds have a dangerous effects on the polity. Subscribe to logic and see thoughts swayed from infantile petulance.
Hehe... wonderful thinking tho! But let me draw your attention to the weakness of your example in expansiating your claim by asking you this simple question. Does the going into war of those soldiers with pin point accuracy profer the needed solution at most times? I wonder what could have happened if the US had eventually gone into war with Syria on the alledged use of chemical weapons saga.

I do hope you follow thesame EXIT door to come and answer this cheesy
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by 0monnakoda: 7:18pm On Oct 24, 2013
Davo93: @Lord Babs; Your choice of words are too strong... You can make your positions known without insulting anyone. Please try and work on that.

1. Strategic Dialogue
2. Court Action

Striking is not a good approach even the lecturers agree.There is no argument there. There just is not a better approach. "Dialogue" in this context means NOTHING. As a digression Stephen Keshi has not been paid for 7 months why?

Our President probably has more planes than his Chinese Counterparts while eating 1 billion naira cassava bread. If we cut out all these frivolities and get our priorities right we should be able to fund our Universities. Besides government should look into getting STUDENTS TO CONTRIBUTE T THE COST. With a population as big as ours free or subsidized university education is unrealistic. I am sorry to say University is for the rich and those truly EXCEPTIONAL students who can get scholarships. Government should only award scholarships on merit and only to those whose parents cannot pay. Everyone else should pay . Universities should be run as a business
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Davo93(m): 7:35pm On Oct 24, 2013
0monnakoda: Striking is not a good approach even the lecturers agree.There is no argument there. There just is not a better approach. "Dialogue" in this context means NOTHING. As a digression Stephen Keshi has not been paid for 7 months why?
I don't seems to understand the point your making with the bolded portion.

Our President probably has more planes than his Chinese Counterparts while eating 1 billion naira cassava bread. If we cut out all these frivolities and get our priorities right we should be able to fund our Universities.
Nice suggestion and i just pray some of their online agents are seeing this.

Besides government should look into getting STUDENTS TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE COST. With a population as big as ours free or subsidized university education is unrealistic. [s]I am sorry to say University is for the rich and those truly EXCEPTIONAL students who can get scholarships.[/s] Government should only award scholarships on merit and only to those whose parents cannot pay. Everyone else should pay . Universities should be run as a business
Is there still anything called free education in Nigeria?? I don't think so! I strongly disagree with the crossed portion. Are you saying an average Nigerian's right to education should be abolished?
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Anuoluwap(m): 7:44pm On Oct 24, 2013
@Davo93, Your point is quite convincing but you should also be aware that there have been so many meetings on the agreement, so many dialogues since 2009.
But FG ignored it all, now, my bro which other method do you think the union should use? Lobbying?
Don't forget you're in Nigeria not white land, here the FG isn't easily convinced, if you think you can take them to court and win and they'll eventually succumb to the court's decision then you should rethink.
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Davo93(m): 7:51pm On Oct 24, 2013
Anuoluwap: @Davo93, Your point is quite convincing but you should also be aware that there have been so many meetings on the agreement, so many dialogues since 2009.
But FG ignored it all, now, my bro which other method do you think the union should use? Lobbying?
Don't forget you're in Nigeria not white land, here the FG isn't easily convinced, if you think you can take them to court and win and they'll eventually succumb to the court's decision then you should rethink.
Quite persuasive! Like i said, there is still need for more strategic dialogue.

Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Davo93(m): 7:59pm On Oct 24, 2013
Tinkybabe:

...And quite frankly,if strike doesn't work,I doubt any other national action would except we seek international intervention.

It's just so sad that the innocent ones(students)are the ones to suffer the brunt of this.
Do you mean there is no local medicine to our sickness?? cry
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by SaintChukz(m): 8:48pm On Oct 24, 2013
Davo93: Quite persuasive! Like i said, there is still need for more strategic dialogue.

@ Op.....Dude honestly, i couldn't help but comment on this post. The truth be told, all this while, i have been reading all your counter reactions to other posters and so far but there has only being one constant and that is you are struggling so hard to convince us because right inside your head you know that your write-up can't even convince a lay man talkless of someone who is literally and technically proficient. You have kept on insisting on a "smoke-screen" approach by sticking what you refer to as strategic dialogue. please where is the strategy in all that bulky but weightless arguments you have been trying to shove down our throats...or i don't understand the meaning of the word 'strategy' anymore? Look...friend you are just wallowing in an abyss of your own aperture. Dump your sentimental bullshits and come down to earth to face reality, what will only work in Nigeria as far this grossly irresponsible government is concerned is STRIKE. And if the lasting solutions we seek will emanate from this strike action, of course i don't even see anything else working, then let the strike continue. And one last piece of advice, if you still doubt the fallibility of your write-up and its potency to convince the people on NL. Simply conduct an opinion poll or a kind of referendum on NL to find out those who will be for it/against it.
Good Luck...!
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by SaintChukz(m): 8:48pm On Oct 24, 2013
Davo93: Quite persuasive! Like i said, there is still need for more strategic dialogue.

@ Op.....Dude honestly, i couldn't help but comment on this post. The truth be told, all this while, i have been reading all your counter reactions to other posters and so far there has only being one constant and that is, you are struggling so hard to convince us because right inside your head you know your write-up can't even convince a lay man talkless of someone who is literally and technically proficient. You have kept on insisting on a "smoke-screen" approach by sticking what you refer to as strategic dialogue. please where is the strategy in all that bulky but weightless arguments you have been trying to shove down our throats...or i don't understand the meaning of the word 'strategy' anymore? Look...friend you are just wallowing in an abyss of your own aperture. Dump your sentimental bullshits and come down to earth to face reality, what will only work in Nigeria as far this grossly irresponsible government is concerned is STRIKE. And if the lasting solutions we seek will emanate from this strike action, of course i don't even see anything else working, then let the strike continue. And one last piece of advice, if you still doubt the fallibility of your write-up and its potency to convince the people on NL. Simply conduct an opinion poll or a kind of referendum on NL to find out those who will be for it/against it.
Good Luck...!
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by 0monnakoda: 8:59pm On Oct 24, 2013
Davo93: I don't seems to understand the point your making with the bolded portion.

Nice suggestion and i just pray one of their online agents are seeing this.

Is there still anything called free education in Nigeria?? I don't think so! I strongly disagree with the crossed portion. Are you saying an average Nigerian's right to education should be abolished?

You are just an attention seeker working desperately to build a silly thread. You do not have have any practical or meaningful alternatives and are quite empty honestly. What do you mean by "RIGHT TO EDUCATION" who gives such rights ,where? Is there a "RIGHT TO FOOD" ?? If you want food you have to pay for it and food is even more important than education. There is no "right" to education in Nigeria.

PS are you the author of the article ?? Some posters here seem to think so and by failing to correct them you are tacitly claiming ownership.
Your spelling and grammar are atrocious by the way
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by tomzman: 9:01pm On Oct 24, 2013
@Davo93, I see a lot of sense in your posts. The issue of strategic dialogue makes a whole lot of sense. However, let me quickly remind you that this is Nigeria, I doubt if such idea would work. The legislature is also part of government and the Nigerian government as a whole is insincere. We all know the benefits of the PIB, yet the same legislature has refused to pass it. Do you want to tell me that the legislators do not know that the amount allocated to education in the annual budget is far below standard, why haven't they been speaking out or rejecting the budget? Dimeji Bankole visited a number of universities when he was the speaker of the lower house, what effort did he make bring about a change? Let me also remind you that ASUP carried the legislature along all through their own negotiations (to the best of my knowledge), yet they have nothing to show for it now. Finally do you also realise that ASUU is not the only union on strike as of now? See, the truth is the Nigerian government as a whole is grossly insincere and the way things are now, strike is the only way to re-awaken the government.
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by tomzman: 9:40pm On Oct 24, 2013
^^^ POC...'what effort did he make to bring about a change?'

*my phone is not good at modification*
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by ferking(m): 10:24pm On Oct 24, 2013
in a family where the is no understanding, the is balm to be problem,chaos and crisis,even when the were good motive, life is all about understandind during negociation.and in negociation it must always favour the both party,i'm not saying that ASUU or other labour union should not have aspiration for greatness but the fact is as you are aspiring you should also put your legs in the other person shoes and see if it size will,even in a supper market that prices are Tah in all commodity it also gives room for negociation and discount in Some cases,We should no that We are not americans or Ghanains,and every country have their peculia problem.i no that education is very important in every nation which nigeria is not excluded,but the truth is that even all our anual budget is lebel to education it will not still salvage the problem of education in our country since We have so many issue on ground to settle without good seculrity no matter what , education will not successed,which We all no that the government need alot of capital to battle it.
No matter the amount of money put into education,if the is no electric power it will make the effort a total waste of time and resource,which We all no that the government are trying to improve it, in nigeria We have alot of sectors that need urgent attention.though it is a proper thing to aspire for devolopment,but whethere We like it or not,it doesn't happened automatic, but it take gradual process,so if We see the kind of stage that our nation is into then We want every sectors in it to change automatically it will lead to the collapse of our country economy,and if the economy collapses i don't think that our infratructure will b able to bail us out.
Though the government sigh an agreement that ASUU force them to sigh that was against their will but for the fear of what the students was going through.the problem is not forcing somebody to go into an agreement with you that you know it may not be possible to fulfil it,because when the time to dò the contain of the agreement and the is no capacity, the is nothing you can dò about it.
If you see the level of the increase it was not going to be possible,how on earth dò you think that a country that is struggling in all sector will increase a particular ration in the budget from 9% to 23% is not possible.if ASUU will continue on their stand the strike may not end even after ten years because another administration will not dò it,and even if they dò it they will not continue it for along time.
Let mé assume that the are genue in their demand,but i doubt it because the way i'm seing things It's the jealousy of ASUU over politicians that make union plan on an agreement that will make them richer than the politician and every other sector in the country,ASUU negociation should not always favour you with 100% but Some time less than that.
Afterall ASUU didn't build the university with their personal money,but the government build it and employ you to manager or run it,so you Don't have to kill nigeria because We can't make our university the best in the world for now. We will get there one day not long from now.the best way to win in argument is not always emerging the winner but Sometime losser win in a long run.
Take my advise ASUU.
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Caracta(f): 11:16pm On Oct 24, 2013
Good one OP. That's a good writeup. Very impressive. I noticed the progress too cheesy

Do you mind having this published on an online newspaper? Please send me a PM if you don't mind. Thank you.
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by Isahalbash(m): 11:28pm On Oct 24, 2013
Owk!I don hear,u people dat r saying dere shud be oda ways ov drawn govt attention rather than goin on strike...Abeg,mk wuna gv us d ways nah..

I hv nt even seen 1 alternative u pple hv gvn rather dan saying.....gibberish
Re: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems by KingIOb: 5:12am On Oct 25, 2013
Lord Babs: like in this ongoing imbroglio: give just one other way....

PROTEST

Like the fuel subsidy protest (you know that was not strike). ASSU can declare a day or two weekly for protest while not disrupting the academic calendar. The students can even join them on such protests. Dont forget what the press can achieve when such protests are carried out (eg quick resolution of the subsidy protests.)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Smart Brains; Answer This! / JAMB Sanctions Officials For Asking Female Student To Remove Her Hijab / How To Prepare And PASS WAEC Examination In ONE Sitting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.