Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,093 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Why Is Electoral Violence Prominent In The South West - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Electoral Violence Prominent In The South West (513 Views)

12 Prominent Nigerian Leaders Yet To Congratulate President-elect, GMB / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission / Nigeria Is Not Prominent In 2014 Corruption Perception Index (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Electoral Violence Prominent In The South West by grafikii: 11:03am On Oct 23, 2013
I have always wondered why we like to fight and kill each other over politics in the south west, i have not heard of violence in Anambra all through but same cant be said of Ekiti, osun and even ogun that would not not hold elections this year.

What is the problem? Sane contributions only.
Re: Why Is Electoral Violence Prominent In The South West by bloggernaija: 11:29am On Oct 23, 2013
It is the blowback from the corrupt electoral system foisted on the region from Abuja .
When the electoral register is as bad as it is,
You can always expect to gangster within the process.
you can also expect the people to react to the actions of the gangsters
Re: Why Is Electoral Violence Prominent In The South West by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 23, 2013
CRIME CAPITAL OF NAIJA - enugu

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Electoral Violence Prominent In The South West by 0Willywilly0: 12:32pm On Oct 23, 2013
grafikii: I have always wondered why we like to fight and kill each other over politics in the south west, i have not heard of violence in Anambra all through but same cant be said of Ekiti, osun and even ogun that would not not hold elections this year.
What is the problem? Sane contributions only.
Operation Wetie Wetie, Akintola VS Awolowo.
Just a normal Yorubas way of Life, Culture
Re: Why Is Electoral Violence Prominent In The South West by 1MCN: 12:51pm On Oct 23, 2013
Am Nwa'fo Igbo, and not Yoruba. But I hate it when we make blanket accussations like this. Although we've recorded more thuggery and violent disagreements in anything group in the SW (politics, labour, unions, etc). But I think the issue is not entirely a SW issue. There's also political disagreement in other parts of Nigeria that've resulted at some points to violence, SS, SE, NE, NC, NW, everywhere.

The OP sounded like a Yoruba, and someone has been quick to remind him Awolowo-Akintola debacle and the fight in the Western House of Assembly back in the days due to Coca-cola and the other gains-related fued. I'd suggest that when next you want to discuss such unpatriotic issues about a people you belong with, you should try to be a bit diplomatic else you set yourself up for a tribal debate here on NL that'll end up hurting your tribal dignity. (Not that you should brazenly defend evil, pls).

Just my little piece of advice.

(1) (Reply)

Stella Oduah Armoured Car Scandal House Committee Hearing – Live Updates / Video: Ifeanyi Ubah Exposes Failures Of Peter Obi’s Administration / Help Ophans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.