Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,978 members, 7,828,464 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday (19337 Views)

Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by samtin(m): 1:29pm On Oct 24, 2013
R I P legend yekini.... how i wish naija knows how well to treat players... we wouldn't be losing players to death and those who nationalize to other countries!
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by dblock(m): 1:29pm On Oct 24, 2013
When I used to frequent this forum, I thought the forumers were dumb....but the level things are at now...is on another level entirely.

Every thing is end time tinz and first to comment. Is it because schools in Nigeria are striking? Or is it because the average age on here is 6 years?

1 Like

Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by 3rdeye1(m): 1:34pm On Oct 24, 2013
pendusky: NA WASH! WHY DIDN'T HE REMEMBER HIM WHEN HE WAS ALIVE?
wetin u wan make he do for him na....na him born am? All man for himself ma brother
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by McLuhan(m): 1:37pm On Oct 24, 2013
I loved Yekini in his heyday and I still love him today. So gifted, yet so humble! He achieved something that today's gang of arrogant mediocrities can never achieve: the lasting affection and respect of millions of football fans both within and outside Nigeria. Live on, gangling Yekini! You will never die in the hearts of those who loved you and who still appreciate your worth.

2 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by Sike(m): 1:38pm On Oct 24, 2013
Wow!! Just Wow.
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by nerodenero: 1:41pm On Oct 24, 2013
kinggsley939: [img]http://top.c-stat.eu/c.php?u=36252[/img]
Are you not tired of posting this on every thread?
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by nerodenero: 1:44pm On Oct 24, 2013
dblock: When I used to frequent this forum, I thought the forumers were dumb....but the level things are at now...is on another level entirely.

Every thing is end time tinz and first to comment. Is it because schools in Nigeria are striking? Or is it because the average age on here is 6 years?
What are you saying?For you,you made sense but for me,it is senseless.
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by naptu2: 1:44pm On Oct 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXxsP2GNc3k

naptu2: One of his two goals against South Africa in October 1992. He received an impossibly high pass, controlled the ball in the air and blasted it into the goal.

Nations cup 1994 when he received a long pass from Oliseh, lobbed the keeper and headed the ball into the net.

naptu2:

Nigeria 7 - Burkina Faso 1

Yekini made an off the pitch contribution to Nigeria's success in that game. Just as the match was about to start, it was discovered that an NFA official forgot the Eagle's shorts @ their camp in Ota. The NFA were in a fix. They didn't know what to do. CAF refused to delay the game and if the Eagles didn't file out it would mean that the game would be forfeited.

Yekini suggested that they should cut the tracksuit trousers with razor blade and use that to play the game. The Eagles played the first half wearing the improvised "knickerbockers" while the official rushed to Ota to get ythe shorts, which the Eagles used in the 2nd half.

naptu2: This was a save, but it's one that I'll never forget.

African Champions Cup (forerunner of African Champions League) 1988. Africa Sports of Ivory Coast vs Iwuanyanwu Nationale of Nigeria.

Thunderous shot from Yekini (of Africa Sports). No other African keeper would have made the save. But Iwuanyanwu's keeper was Edward Ansah (Ghana's first choice and one of the best African keepers ever). He made the save, but the shot was so hot that he spent the next 5 to 10 minutes flat on the ground.

1 Like

Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by Orikinla(m): 1:47pm On Oct 24, 2013
Yekini was destined to make that historic achievement.
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by Orikinla(m): 1:48pm On Oct 24, 2013
McLuhan: I loved Yekini in his heyday and I still love him today. So gifted, yet so humble! He achieved something that today's gang of arrogant mediocrities can never achieve: the lasting affection and respect of millions of football fans both within and outside Nigeria. Live on, gangling Yekini! You will never die in the hearts of those who loved you and who still appreciate your worth.
You are right.
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by naptu2: 1:52pm On Oct 24, 2013
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by PBundles(m): 1:54pm On Oct 24, 2013
It was like yesterday....the Bulagrian coach was bragging that Nigeria couldnt be his team,afterwards they had all those international stars. Then during the game, Yekini scored the opening goal and ran towards the net and let out a roar as he shook the net fiercly as if to say we are here, we are here. The image believe it or not has and will never leave me. Rest on, you are loved and respected, we the nation salute you and you will always be part of our history. Never forgotten..................

1 Like

Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 24, 2013
nerodenero: Are you not tired of posting this on every thread?

So no b only me dey notice the guy... lol
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 24, 2013
Rashidi. Eshin makanaki.

Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by nerodenero: 2:06pm On Oct 24, 2013
McLuhan: I loved Yekini in his heyday and I still love him today. So gifted, yet so humble! He achieved something that today's gang of arrogant mediocrities can never achieve: the lasting affection and respect of millions of football fans both within and outside Nigeria. Live on, gangling Yekini! You will never die in the hearts of those who loved you and who still appreciate your worth.
Well said!!!
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by shadrach77: 2:07pm On Oct 24, 2013
This guy's family just wasted his life for nothing. I assume he would have lived longer were it not for his wicked family. They foolishly plucked out the shining star in their family. They will live to regret their decision sha. RIP Baba Yekini sad sad sad
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by IYANGBALI: 2:07pm On Oct 24, 2013
Now in heaven playing for HEAVENS UNITED

1 Like

Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by WaziriFamily(m): 2:08pm On Oct 24, 2013
pendusky: NA WASH! WHY DIDN'T HE REMEMBER HIM WHEN HE WAS ALIVE?
Tell Them!!!!
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by AbuMikey(m): 2:25pm On Oct 24, 2013

Glory,truly it lasts forever embarassed

Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by Roughbook: 2:26pm On Oct 24, 2013
rest in perfect peace mallam yekini, you might have gone but Africa and the rest of the world still see and remmenber ur talent. goodbye the gangling strike
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by QMark: 2:33pm On Oct 24, 2013
Brymo: u can just imagine,dats y its hard to see a patriotic Nigerian,a white man goin ahead of us to remember the legend.

Who says I didn't remember him this morning?
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by Goke7: 2:36pm On Oct 24, 2013
naptu2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXxsP2GNc3k

Those were the days we had a striker, we could easily predict the outcome of games cos of Yekini, what a legend. R.I.P. The present eagles should sit and watch some of those games, they will be inspired.
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by Reski2500(m): 2:36pm On Oct 24, 2013
ahoy LT: And our so called NFF or NFA are not aware of this!!!! What a country.
bros no vex wen he's 100 we'll rememba him
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by babsthegreat: 2:45pm On Oct 24, 2013
May his soul rest in peace(amen)
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by saintNinoBran(m): 2:51pm On Oct 24, 2013
R.I.P to you my great legend and hero Rashidi yekini.
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by saintNinoBran(m): 2:51pm On Oct 24, 2013
babsthegreat: May his soul rest in peace(amen)
AMEN...................
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by LeStylo: 2:53pm On Oct 24, 2013
Donovan: Why didn't Sepp Blatter remember Rasidi when he was roaming the street of Ibadan?

Sun re o egbon oninu re.
We love u buh God loves u more.

Did your own soccer administrators remember him today?! His very colleagues shunned his burial!

Weldone Blatter, at least you remembered him where his very brother faltered!
Re: Sepp Blatter Remembers Yekini On 50th Birthday by nijanigga: 2:57pm On Oct 24, 2013
Donovan: Why didn't Sepp Blatter remember Rasidi when he was roaming the street of Ibadan?

Sun re o egbon oninu re.
We love u buh God loves u more.
Another useless brainless typical street roaming Nigerian. Did any of your govt officials or any sensible Nigerian remembered him, when he was in need? After his death Kwara state govt said they're giving his kids one million naira and scholarship. Any Nigerian player today must demand cash up front before playing . Nigeria is not worth sacrificing your life for.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Iceland Vs Croatia: World Cup, (1 - 2) On 26th June 2018 / Asisat Oshoala Wins Chinese Women’s Super League 'Best Striker for 2017 Season' / Kevin De Bruyne Wins Premier League Player Of The Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.