Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,102 members, 7,835,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia (13543 Views)

Scientists Find Black Hole Spewing Iron, Nickel In Powerful Jets / Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito / Scientists Find "God" Particle! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by skimarvel: 9:40pm On Oct 24, 2013

It's true - money does not grow on trees. But gold does, at least according to a group of scientists who have confirmed the presence of the mineral in the leaves of some plants.

Australia based researchers found the gold particles hidden within eucalyptus tree foliage, indicating that gold deposits may also be buried many metres below.

The grains growing within the leaves are approximately one fifth the diameter of a human hair, making the discovery unlikely to start a gold rush. However, it can provide a unique opportunity for mineral exploration.

Geochemists from Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRPO) said eucalyptus trees in western Australia are drawing up gold particles from the earth via their root system and depositing it their leaves and branches.

Although the amounts found were tiny, their presence could indicate gold ore deposits buried up to tens of metres underground and under sediments that are up to 60 million years old.

Lead author of the study, Dr Mel Lintern, said the team used CSIRO's Maia detector, a machine that uses x-rays to probe matter in great detail, to search for gold deposits. They were able to produce images of gold found in the leaves, bark and twigs of some of the trees.

Their research, published in the journal Nature Communications, suggested plants were absorbing gold particles found around the soils of eucalyptus trees, Dr Lintern explained.

“The eucalypt acts as a hydraulic pump – its roots extend tens of metres into the ground and draw up water containing the gold.

"As the gold is likely to be toxic to the plant, it’s moved to the leaves and branches where it can be released or shed to the ground.

“The leaves could be used in combination with other tools as a more cost effective and environmentally friendly exploration technique.”

Dr Lintern added that by using this technique of sampling and analysing vegetation for traces of minerals, it may be easier to observe what occurs below the surface without the need to drill. He said: "It’s a more targeted way of searching for minerals that reduces costs and impact on the environment."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/money-doesnt-grow-on-trees--but-gold-does-8898467.html

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by delpee(f): 9:50pm On Oct 24, 2013
Interesting!
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by ndufrank: 9:53pm On Oct 24, 2013
Good discovery
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by kkkp: 10:00pm On Oct 24, 2013
Pics and source
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by mumumugu(m): 10:16pm On Oct 24, 2013
Nigerian university scientist are busy discovering that magnet prooves homosexuality wrong

17 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by mumumugu(m): 10:26pm On Oct 24, 2013
I think gold grows on banky w head

4 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 24, 2013
diamond fit grow out of a newborn baby's toothgum nowadays sef and lapalapa fit change to silver precipitate for person head too grin

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by vallycan: 10:44pm On Oct 24, 2013
waw... wat a gud discovery I wud luv to own an cultivate dis tree.....so dat ma money wud finally grow like grass....
thump up to dis scientist if it was Nigeria all d discover is aw finger battery cud b use to generate light in d absence of nepa...

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by skimarvel: 11:03pm On Oct 24, 2013
kkkp: Pics and source
source:naij.com
pics:book d next flight to australia

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by Napoleondegreat: 11:15pm On Oct 24, 2013
Which one be under sediment up to 60million years old? How old is the earth itself?
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by gboso1ne(m): 12:21am On Oct 25, 2013
mumumugu: I think gold grows on banky w head
bros na ur own discovery b dt?i am not suprised tho coz as d yoruba ppl will say 'oruko lon ro ni'

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by 9jahubcom(m): 6:06pm On Oct 25, 2013
wa.oo.. dats good news
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by gbanikiti(m): 6:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
Pictures or it didn't happen! angry
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by cherisskenzy(f): 6:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
grin grin ;DI get the tree for my backyard

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by Sllowppoisoon: 6:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
Money now grow on trees

Rite time for gurls to start dating monkeys lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by Lilimax(f): 6:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
But this Eucalyptus Plants have some medicinal properties undecided
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by AbuMikey(m): 6:13pm On Oct 25, 2013

Cool! wink

OP beat me to this yesterday tongue

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by spade: 6:14pm On Oct 25, 2013
Nah.
It's just elemental Gold, not quite mineral gold. Plus, it's just 0.0000005% percent of gold found on each leaf.
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by zolajpower: 6:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
mumumugu: Nigerian university scientist are busy discovering that magnet prooves homosexuality wrong
atleast it is also a means of discovery& research methodology. It is called permautation research grin
mumumugu: Nigerian university scientist are busy discovering that magnet prooves homosexuality wrong
atleast it is also a means of discovery& research methodology. It is called permautation research
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by dridowu: 6:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
Where can i get eucalyptus plant , i need to make some money

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by nnocurruption: 6:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
nothing Nigeria scientist go gree discover.

which kind country be this self.

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by mkmyers45(m): 6:23pm On Oct 25, 2013
Napoleondegreat: Which one be under sediment up to 60million years old? How old is the earth itself?
4.6 Billion Years

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by Big4wig(m): 6:24pm On Oct 25, 2013
I'm still waiting for the day that I will actually use x² + y +8 [(x + 2y ² = a-z] + 2x ³ + (- 2z = 2. 4) + 10y - 5Z ³= k= 9 in real life to make money.".

5 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 25, 2013
Pls what are eucalyptus plants. I had started buying and growing them
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
Big4wig: I'm still waiting for the day that I will actually use x² + y +8 [(x + 2y ² = a-z] + 2x ³ + (- 2z = 2. 4) + 10y - 5Z ³= k= 9 in real life to make money.".

The phone u are using and electricity resulted from things like this, so if u are not making money from it some people are

4 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by Sllowppoisoon: 6:32pm On Oct 25, 2013
cheris skenzy: grin grin ;DI get the tree for my backyard
And ure still here refreshing nairaland FP every seconds jus to make FP grin grin grin
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by TheLastNazgul(m): 6:32pm On Oct 25, 2013
cheris skenzy: grin grin ;DI get the tree for my backyard
It's not there anymore.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by Coldfeet(f): 6:33pm On Oct 25, 2013
Nna mehn! Make I shaperly go put barb wire plus electric wire round my garden o!! e grow for my back yard!! grin
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by stan4b(m): 6:34pm On Oct 25, 2013
I tink i should start making plans to travel to d village,may b i ll find d tree dere. As of dis moment,i know d trees in lag r already occupied.
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by tmtech: 6:36pm On Oct 25, 2013
Napoleondegreat: Which one be under sediment up to 60million years old? How old is the earth itself?

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years (4.54 ×
109 years ± 1%).[1][2][3] This age is based on evidence
from radiometric age dating of meteorite material and is
consistent with the ages of the oldest-known terrestrial
and lunar samples. Following the scientific revolution
and the development of radiometric age dating,
measurements of lead in uranium-rich minerals showed
that some were in excess of a billion years old.[4]
Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by Big4wig(m): 6:37pm On Oct 25, 2013
Promhize:

The phone u are using and electricity resulted from things like this, so if u are not making money from it some people are
ode who is saying results here...

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia by scholes23(m): 6:37pm On Oct 25, 2013
Abeg I wan know if we get that tree 4 9ja Cos I wan harvest my own gold sell am SHARP SHARP b4 govt and 9jaDelta go begin fight 4 gold. NO TIME.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Mirror The Galaxy S6 Screen To A Samsung Smart Television / The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. / Arab Man Spotted Using A "Rugged " Robot As A Bodyguard At A Mall (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.