Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans (2062 Views)

Banks Refused To Give Me More Loans That's Why I'm Owing - Aregbesola / Kaduna, Nigeria’s Second Most Indebted State – El-rufai / Imo State Banned From Borrowing More Loans. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans by eaglechild: 8:37pm On Oct 27, 2013
bestview:

They are only warming to pounce on the resources of Anambra to further enrich themselves. They have just rendered Imo state useless with heavy debt now with nothing on the ground for okorocha to show for it.
I really hope that doesn't happen.
Peter Obi is not perfect but his ability to erase all the states debt despite some massive capital project is commendable.
I only wish he allowed soludo a chance.

Imo's case is indeed disturbing, APC party ideologies with debt is not at all encouraging.
I hope Anambra doesn't get entangled with debts if APC wins which is very unlikely.

2 Likes

Re: Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans by bestview: 8:41pm On Oct 27, 2013
eaglechild:
Peter Obi is not perfect but his ability to erase all the states debt despite some massive capital project is commendable.

Imo's case is indeed disturbing, APC party ideologies with debt is not at all encouraging.
I hope Anambra doesn't get entangled with debts if APC wins [/b]which is very unlikely.

The highlighted should never be in your dictionary, because it is easier for ANC of South Africa to win in Anambra than the Islamic Yorobar APC..
Re: Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans by ballabriggs: 8:52pm On Oct 27, 2013
eaglechild:

I hope Anambra doesn't get entangled with debts if APC wins which is very unlikely.

That one Peter Obi does not borrow, does that make it appropriate?

The fact is, being below an optimum debt level could be as bad as exceeding it. It is about optimality.

Also can you finance development in Anambra without debt? Where will the funds come from?

Fact is, to develop Africa you will need to seek finance from outside as Africa cannot meet its development finance requirements. To praise a man for not seeking debt finance could be ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans by eaglechild: 9:13pm On Oct 27, 2013
ballabriggs:

That one Peter Obi does not borrow, does that make it appropriate?

The fact is, being below an optimum debt level could be as bad as exceeding it. It is about optimality.

Also can you finance development in Anambra without debt? Where will the funds come from?

Fact is, to develop Africa you will need to seek finance from outside as Africa cannot meet its development finance requirements. To praise a man for not seeking debt finance could be ignorant.

Really?

I am not an advocate of Peter Obi, so i wouldn't want to go singing his praises,
The facts are he is a seasoned economist, who inherited a heavily indebted state and was able to turn that around, i don't see any ignorance in commending that.
He laid an economic foundation by focusing on projects that will generate revenue, state oil refineries, breweries etc, therefore he was able to reduce his borrowing to a minimum, with this he was able to sustain his capital expenditure and clear his debts.

1 Like

Re: Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans by ballabriggs: 9:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
eaglechild:

Really?

I am not an advocate of Peter Obi, so i wouldn't want to go singing his praises,
The facts are he is a seasoned economist, who inherited a heavily indebted state and was able to turn that around, i don't see any ignorance in commending that.
He laid an economic foundation by focusing on projects that will generate revenue, state oil refineries, breweries etc, therefore he was able to reduce his borrowing to a minimum, with this he was able to sustain his capital expenditure and clear his debts.

Yes to accelerate the development of Africa, you need debt finance from external sources. That Dubai you see today grew with a lot of debt finance. Islamic finance, bonds etc It is needed to speed-up development.

Of what use is it that he reduced debt and Anambra remains a shit hole after 8 years. What revenue are we talking about? Max at N2 billion per month. Can that meet a quarter of the States development needs? Where will the rest come from?

1 Like

Re: Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans by eaglechild: 9:37pm On Oct 27, 2013
ballabriggs:

Yes to accelerate the development of Africa, you need debt finance from external sources. That Dubai you see today grew with a lot of debt finance. Islamic finance, bonds etc It is needed to speed-up development.

Of what use is it that he reduced debt and Anambra remains a shit hole after 8 years. What revenue are we talking about? Max at N2 billion per month. Can that meet a quarter of the States development needs? Where will the rest come from?
Well do you want it to be the same as Lagos.
I can assure you Anambra has one of the best rural road networks in Nigeria, and is not poo, it also has one of the lowest poverty rates in Nigeria, as well as one of the highest literacy rates, is the state with the third highest number of professors in Nigeria, it is also one of the newer states.
Is among the second tier states after Lagos where cashless banking was started.

No need to get derogatory and pull stats out from nowhere.

Anyway lest we lose focus, we are talking about LAGOS' INDEBTEDNESS AND BORROWING CRAZE.

1 Like

Re: Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans by atlwireles: 9:46pm On Oct 27, 2013
taharqa:

As long as those loans are Foreign loans with very low Interest Rates (and as long as the FG keeps a lid on them), I reali don't have much of a problem with it. What I generally have a problem with are Local loans with their high Interest Rates and hellish shorter Repayment period.

Institutions, Govt and Private, would need to borrow from time to time. They just need to be extremely Cautious and Smart, though; and, must make sure the monies borrowed go to only those Project for which they were met, which should be Productive Projects ab initio...

You have always maintained this position, and your arguments have remained the same, regardless of the person involved.. My problem lies with the crowd coming out to defend Lagos now, but spew garbage when Jonah went to china, and basic got almost $4b at 2% interest. They cried bloody murder.

5 Likes

Re: Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans by eeeeeee: 10:04pm On Oct 27, 2013
atlwireles:

You have always maintained this position, and your arguments have remained the same, regardless of the person involved.. My problem lies with the crowd coming out to defend Lagos now, but spew garbage when Jonah went to china, and basic got almost $4b at 2% interest. They cried bloody murder.
That is the problem.
They will defend anything once it is their own people and condemn everything once it is not their people.
Very pathetic way of life.

2 Likes

Re: Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans by eaglechild: 11:00pm On Oct 27, 2013
atlwireles:

It is double standards.
And no one has been able to answer the questions I asked.
I believe Lagos' economy should be self sustaining.
And not sinking deeper in debt.

1 Like

Re: Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans by eeeeeee: 7:25am On Oct 28, 2013
eaglechild:
It is double standards.
And no one has been able to answer the questions I asked.
I believe Lagos' economy should be self sustaining.
And not sinking deeper in debt.
The bigots have all run away and the mods have sworn not to put it on the front page.

Not surprising.

1 Like

Re: Indebted Lagos State Goes For More Loans by eaglechild: 11:30pm On Oct 29, 2013
eeeeeee:
The bigots have all run away and the mods have sworn not to put it on the front page.

Not surprising.
Lol this seems to be true.
We need topics that fuel intellectual debates.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obong Victor Attah Gets A Heroic Reception After The 2014 National Conference / Would GEJ Dare Campaign As "Fresh Air" Or "Boy With No Shoes" Today? / Who Will Pastor Adeboye Bless Now:Pastor Osinbajo Or President Jonathan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.