Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,316 members, 7,819,071 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin (31148 Views)

Buhari Accepts Bible Gift At Meeting With Northern Christians / Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja / 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by isalegan2: 1:18pm On Oct 29, 2013
nchewi wrote:

Dialogue panel chief incites thugs against Oshiomhole
Posted by: Osagie Otabor and Ben Ogbemudia
Benin in Featured, News 6 hours ago

The national dialogue roadshow went awry yesterday in Benin City, the Edo State capital.

A meeting of the Presidential Advisory Committee on National Dialogue in the Southsouth zone ended in a fiasco at the Imaguero Hall. The delegates left after comments by Governor Adams Oshiomhole caused an uproar.

The hall was virtually empty by the time some ethnic groups and individuals were presenting their memoranda.

The meeting that began at about 2pm ended at 4:30pm after committee Chairman Femi Okunrounmu declared that its members’ lives were not safe in Edo.

The Isoko, Urhobo, Itsekiri and Bini had presented their stand before the fracas.

It was as if some people were hired to disrupt the event when somebody from the audience interupted Oshiomhole a few minutes into his speech.

The voice said” “Two minutes”. “I will do more than that,” Oshiomhole replied.

The governor went on:
“I want to make my own comments. They are my views and not the views of Edo State. It is not the view of any particular ethnic nationality. I think as a Nigerian we all have stake in this country and we have a duty to lay a solid foundation for the future of this country. I have a duty to be honest and truthful on the views and position that I canvass. My views are different. I asked the question, why are we having a national conference?”

“I believe that anyone who convenes a meeting must be clear why he convened a meeting. I have the opportunity to travel far and wide. You don’t assemble people and then ask them, what do we talk?. Whoever wishes to convene a meeting must be clear on what the issues are. When you have stated why the meeting was convened, you can then ask what should be added or deleted. You have hundreds of agenda. When I was the NLC, a former president convened a national conference and up till now…

Another interruption. Oshiomhole said: “You cannot shout me down. I know some persons were hired to be here.” He continued: “People from various states converged, money was spent and in the end I can’t remember what came out of that conference. It is a valid point to make that we failed before, we can make amend but it is important we learn from our history. I will be surprised if anything changes. As a
leader, I have no business to mislead anyone. This conference will not be different from any previous conference.

Some ethnic nationalities, mainly from Bayelsa and Delta states, were accused of joining to shout down the governor. A member of the committee, Col. Tony Nyiam, stood up and made some unprintable remarks about Oshiomhole which led to a near free for all on
the high table.

Nyiam stood up, banging the table and screaming: “No!”, “no!”, “no”. The ex-soldier was restrained by other members of the committee who appeared shocked at his behaviour. The committee members hurriedly left after thugs invaded the hall.

The governor was still making his contribution when Nyiam started screaming for him to sit down. He was then joined in by the thugs who disrupted the proceedings and many scampered for safety as a result of the unruliness of the committee member and the thugs.
The governor, who insisted on concluding his remarks, yielded the floor to the thugs, who were getting violent.

The National Anthem was hurriedly played as the governor took his exit. In a statement last night, the dialogue panel condemned the “unruly conduct” of one of its members for joining the crowd to heckle the governor.

At a visit to him in his office by members of the committee led by Senator Femi Okurounmu either Oshiomhole said he had no faith in the process.
He said: “All I owe Nigeria now is to speak my mind. It could be error of my head, but certainly not of my heart. As much as I wish you well, I just want to say that I have no faith in this process and I do not think it was necessary at all.”

The governor added: “I am unable to find any basis to give me some illusion that this exercise will be different from the others.
He lamented that 53 years after independence, Nigerians still prefer to look at themselves from their ethnic origin rather than being Nigerians. “For me, I am just a Nigerian,” Oshiomhole said.

Oshiomhole said: “I do not think that more than 100 years when we have set aside billions of naira to celebrate our centenary the fact of our
amalgamation of the North and Southern Nigeria, and we have lived together as one country for over a 100 years, and we have gone through independence, we have been free for 53 years and we are coming back to ask the question, how could we be there?

“I think Nigeria needs to address very serious issues. When I see eminent Nigerians discussing this issue, I am sure they know that Nigeria’s
problem is not this politics of sharing, which the national dialogue is all about; who is getting what, who has this natural endowment, who should do this or not do this. For me, this is the act of perfecting poverty.

“The real challenge is getting Nigeria back to production. The real challenge is creating base and this cannot be resolved through conferences. We have moved from parliamentary system in our own wisdom to the presidential system. We have test-run it and it was aborted by the military and it has re-incarnated in the present
form,” he said, adding:

“Nigeria does need a serious reflection about how to return to those core values that made Nigeria work before. Those healthy competition between the governments, visit the whole question of attitude and unless that changes, I do not see how any dialogue can work”, he said.
The Governor said: “I was discussing with somebody last week and he noted that this is the eleventh conference and I ask what ten
conferences could not do, how would the eleventh one do it? Why do we think we can continue doing the same thing the same old way and think that this time the outcome would be different?”

The Governor said nobody convenes a meeting without stating the agenda and asking others to draw up the agenda for that meeting. “From conception we know we want to talk, but we do not know what we want to talk about.”

Okurounmu said the committee was in Benin as part of its tour of the six geopolitical zones to get their input into the content of the agenda, the duration, choice of delegation and legal framework of the proposed dialogue. Okunroumu expressed happiness over the impressive turnout by Nigerians at the different venues of its sittings. “Nigerians have accepted the need to have this conference. We have been to four centres Minna, Akure, Jos and Calabar, and the turnout has been impressive and overwhelming.

“In all the centres, Nigerians came from the rural areas, even from the remotest villages to make presentations to us and there are “no-go areas at all. “We are to listen to all Nigerians and I am happy that the turnout has been encouraging to the extent that we requested for bigger halls,’’ he said.

The chairman noted that “we have been listening to different groups and views, but no single group who threatens to dismember Nigeria has come before us. “Nigerians all over the world are entitled to submit their views, but they must not be in the committee
to air their views. They have our e-mail address. “Let them submit their memo to us and their views will be acknowledged. This is the essence of the committee.

“That is why we are going round to know what are the things agitating the minds of Nigerians.
“We will include these views in our report and these will definitely set the agenda for government and tell government how they want to be governed,’’ he said.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sounds like he personally does not want disintegration of Nigeria and would prefer we work out our differences amicably. At least, that what he says he believes.

So, this is Edo-style wahala town meeting? shocked grin Where's the wonderfully brilliant Bini Prince PhysicsOPP to break it down for us? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by amakenny: 1:22pm On Oct 29, 2013
homesteady: I just watched the video on channels news!
Very good! He thinks he can play politics with every case!
How I wish people stoned him with pure water! angry
National conference that many people have been waiting for, he is now trying to demonize it, just because his master(tinibu) said he should do so!
Oshiomhole, okorocha and Amaechi are struggling among themselves to become VP to Born To Rule under Tinubu APC.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by talktimi(m): 1:31pm On Oct 29, 2013
amakenny: Oshiomhole, okorocha and Amaechi are struggling among themselves to become VP to Born To Rule under Tinubu APC.
amaechi isnt struggling with anything apart from his tongue, the moment he learns how to control that organ, the sky will be his limit.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 29, 2013
musiwa112: look at the video, we are an independent country. And Jonathan can not bring Ijaw from the east there. And not only that. sparrow. Jonathan is playing with Fire.

Jonathn will die if he create 6 zones. They will kill him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5595ejgxWVo
mumu anaylsis when did ijaw come from the east,i guess u are a yoruba man who think other tribes in the niger delta are ibo .get ur facts correct.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by obailala(m): 2:01pm On Oct 29, 2013
vislabraye: Adams Oshiomole should be carefuL. I don't even trust his so called APC.

Nigerians are such strange people... You dont trust APC which hasn't been tested but you trust and prefer the status-quo PDP which has ruined the nation for 14yrs?... Its strange that most Nigerians have embraced the principle of "the devil you know".... a lot of people genuinely want PDP to just rule forever without any change.. I really dont get it undecided undecided...

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by davidflo(m): 2:04pm On Oct 29, 2013
DEATH MACHINE:
mumu anaylsis when did ijaw come from the east,i guess u are a yoruba man who think other tribes in the niger delta are ibo .get ur facts correct.
from ur name it is clear u should be ignored
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by obailala(m): 2:06pm On Oct 29, 2013
naptu2:

They certainly didn't act like people who deserve respect. We don't all have to agree. People are not robots. Differences of opinion are expected in a democracy. You settle matters by dialogue or at the polling booth, not by violence.

Is this what we should expect at the dialogue? Should we expect to see people throwing chairs and shoes?

He has his opinions. Those who disagree with him should have countered his opinions with superior arguments, rather than getting rowdy and attempting to lynch him.
grin grin
I have always asked this same question to the die-hard proponents of a national dialogue. In the Nigeria we know as it is today, what would be the most likely outcome of a national dialogue??... Will it not eventually end in a brawl??... will a national dialogue build roads or equip schools??... can someone knowledgeable enough in these things please prove me wrong

What we see happening in Edo state is just a tip of the icebeg
cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by smart7: 2:10pm On Oct 29, 2013
@ JMOI][b]:All the adversaries of GEJ and Ndigbo are being disgraced one after the other.

Mur mur dey worry u, is oshiomole not in Tinubu camp?. Ewu like u. Dumb ass head, olodu.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by Alikaxon(m): 2:11pm On Oct 29, 2013
yelsew80: After sampling Dilish's 'sampoto' he wants to play petty politics with a peoples destiny. Na God save that hin short short legs.
shut up boy! Wat hav u nd ur fellow stupid nigerians achieved with past conferences?? U pple are so ignorant, yet u open ur mouth anyhw nd talk without thinkin. A single brave man "oshiomole" could dare the fg against unimportant nd money waisting avenue. How wil d conference affect d ASUU strike. Half of dat money spent in organisin it can pay ASUU's demand. "stupid all of u dat are blind to see d truth" 2moro u pple wil complain...
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 29, 2013
bloggernaija: Edo state may be grouped under the niger delta geographically but their mentality ,history, core values and culture is very different.
Look at the sort of people who were brought in to attend a strategic conference.
They are not different from the legions of political thugs ,touts,area boy and street urchins you see everyday on TV .
The itshekiris and binis have already made their submissions in AKURE .
Oil block sharing is the least of their problems.
They want a clearly delineated territory with people with whom they share an history culture and heritage ,from where they can choose their friends and alliances.
my bridal you spoke my mind. oshomole is not speaking for edo ppl. he is speaking for himself note he like to draw attentiion to himselfmy broda you spoke my mind oshomole is speaking for himself not edo ppl. Note he like to draw attention to himself.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by ladenz(m): 2:35pm On Oct 29, 2013
obailala:

Nigerians are such strange people... You dont trust APC which hasn't been tested but you trust and prefer the status-quo PDP which has ruined the nation for 14yrs?... Its strange that most Nigerians have embraced the principle of "the devil you know".... a lot of people genuinely want PDP to just rule forever without any change.. I really dont get it undecided undecided...

My dear, if APC was really really offering anything new or different from what we have been seeing in the past 14 years, I assure you many Nigerians will support them. The truth is that its the same old people, the same old policies, the same old practices with a new name.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by joseph1832(m): 2:44pm On Oct 29, 2013
I now believe we Nigerians never learn! Infact many of us are just outrightly pig headed. What do many of you guys clamouring for this Nat Confab bullshit hope it will accomplish?. What did the other Nat Confab accomplish?.

If many of us are looking for a platform to discuss our many problems we should be smart enough to know that after such deliberating and discussing we will only succeed in making ourselves more bigoted!.

And believe me you, we Nigerians are one of the most sentimental and bigoted people to ever walk the face of this planet!.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by touchmeder: 2:44pm On Oct 29, 2013
What a poor poor reporting done by ITV. A report should make things clear without fear or favour and not leave one wondering about the crux of the matter. I had to continue reading comments to actually find out WHAT OSHIOMHOLE SAID that lead to the uproar. Having said that, i sort of agree with him. Too many national dialogue with no result, wasting money that they claim they dont have. HISS

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by ocelot2006(m): 3:48pm On Oct 29, 2013
Kai....APC's not having a good week at all. And it will get worse.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by Jbluv55(m): 4:14pm On Oct 29, 2013
Willywilly7: Oshiomole should be careful with Yorubas around him, he should stop following them, they going to lead him into ditch
Interesting ..... Very interesting
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by omon24(m): 4:55pm On Oct 29, 2013
I hate to join issue with anybody especialy nairalanders, a nigerian, not just an ordinary nigerian, a sitting governer statd his personal opinion and he got this!!!, hmmm,In ma own humble opinion,i tink wat hapend in Benin yday is uncalled for, i am begining to hav doubts concerning this conference, i av never bn a prophet of doom,so all i cud say is, i pray and hope this conference achieve its purpose, and i hope @ d end of d exercise there will be no national regrets? GOD BLESS Nigeria.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by gayman99: 5:22pm On Oct 29, 2013
bloggernaija: Edo state may be grouped under the niger delta geographically but their mentality ,history, core values and culture is very different.
Look at the sort of people who were brought in to attend a strategic conference.
They are not different from the legions of political thugs ,touts,area boy and street urchins you see everyday on TV .
They want a clearly delineated territory with people with whom they share an history culture and heritage ,from where they can choose their friends and alliances.

You must be very stupid. In the first case i wondered if u watched the clip with ur 3310 nokia phone. For your information, not only Edos were in the meeting.

Kind regards sha grin
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by menix(m): 6:03pm On Oct 29, 2013
Tired of dis national dialogue fin... Gawd mk a way 4 national sovereign conference mk dis nairaland hatin stop...
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 29, 2013
theshadyexpress:
its better to leave a bad situation as it is than worsen it in the pretence of remedying it Mr fool
U have to spell it out, how it is worsening,A.s.s.Licker !!
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by Johnthespecial(m): 6:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
They've not commence the Conference, they have started fighting. What will happen when the conference kick off. grin
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 29, 2013
taharqa: He asked you to SHUT It. Plz, take his advice....
Talaka, U too should take my advice,hmm ... Just Shut it !!!
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by Nobody: 7:11pm On Oct 29, 2013
Na swear dey worry oshiomole
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by russellino: 7:25pm On Oct 29, 2013
Oshiomole is in power so he would like the status quo to continue. A labour leader who could never hold a strike together for more than four days.

How could he say he has no confidence in the conference because there was no agenda when the committee is going round the country trying to generate an agenda. He had nothing to offer and he went there anyway to talk nonsense. I don't blame Tony Nyiam for shouting him down. Nonsense
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by emmatok(m): 8:04pm On Oct 29, 2013
russellino: Oshiomole is in power so he would like the status quo to continue. A labour leader who could never hold a strike together for more than four days.

How could he say he has no confidence in the conference because there was no agenda when the committee is going round the country trying to generate an agenda. He had nothing to offer and he went there anyway to talk nonsense. I don't blame Tony Nyiam for shouting him down. Nonsense

See the way you're worshipping NYIAM the coup plotter.
This Conference will be subjected to the National Assembly, and want will happen the National Assembly constitutional amendment.

Rise above sentiments and emotions.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 29, 2013
There are actually few who have expressed their views here without tribalistic or zonal interest. It is rather a selfish approach. Sometime ago some southerners were agitating for control of oil wealth. An agreement that involves a 13% derivation fund was reached. Few years on, while the average niger deltan is still wallowing in the shackles of poverty some so called agitators are busy buying private jets and opening universities in places far from home in another country. Some have big hotels, cars, homes etc. GOD IS WATCHING. In 2011 when presidential campaigns began, I saw little hope from all the candidates, not even GEJ. The problem was you will be attacked by the south south man for saying this. But just months into his rule and moving into a new year the subsidy issue came. That episode quenched the hopes that GEJ was the Moses of the Niger Deltans. The government knows that because Nigerians are selfish, they will have the cards played back into their hands. To that effect they have allowed this much publicised event take place. As far as I am concerned this exercise is unneccesary
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by russellino: 8:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
emmatok:

See the way you're worshipping NYIAM the coup plotter.
This Conference will be subjected to the National Assembly, and want will happen the National Assembly constitutional amendment.

Rise above sentiments and emotions.

But we know that the only difference between him and respected coup plotters like ibb, buhari, abdulsalam and danjuma is that he wasn't successful.

Nyiam, Gideon Orkar and co were looking to cleanse this country of their ilk and set the record straight once and for all.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by Waspy(m): 9:01pm On Oct 29, 2013
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by amakenny: 9:06pm On Oct 29, 2013
Nigerians are in a big problem.
Many members of the leadership class do not tell those they lead the truth. Here both Oshiomhole and Okurounmu did not tell even themselves the truth.

Oshomwhole apparently wanted a return to the administrative system that made Nigeria progress fast before the present unitary govt system was adopted. But he did not specify how we could return to that system. But Oshiowhole ought to have known that given the lopsided population of the National Assembly due to the skewed distribution of states between the south and the north, there is no way we can obtain from the National Assembly a restructuring of the polity for a strong regional or stronger state govt system and a weaker central govt system .

On the part of Okurounmu, he knows that since he has agreed that the outcome of the conference shall be subjected to the National Assembly for acceptance or rejection, any outcome of the Conference which may stipulate empowered regional govts system, or more powers to the states, but weaker central govt system must surely be thrown out of the windows in the National Assembly, given that the core north that refuses weak central govt unduly overpopulates the National Assembly.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by emmatok(m): 9:15pm On Oct 29, 2013
russellino:

But we know that the only difference between him and respected coup plotters like ibb, buhari, abdulsalam and danjuma is that he wasn't successful.

Nyiam, Gideon Orkar and co were looking to cleanse this country of their ilk and set the record straight once and for all.

So you agree he is a coup plotter.

Welcome to Nigeria.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by adeprinze(m): 9:45pm On Oct 29, 2013
Please some one remind me of what came out of a certain held sometime in the ninety(s), oputa panel, etc. We all know the Obvious truth that this dialogue thing is just a ploy by pdp to garnish gej's speech on independence day and you'all are again accepting their hidden agenda to take u us for a fool again. Osho is very right in my opinion.
Re: Oshiomhole Escapes Being Beaten At Meeting Of National Dialogue In Benin by obailala(m): 11:07pm On Oct 29, 2013
ladenz:

My dear, if APC was really really offering anything new or different from what we have been seeing in the past 14 years, I assure you many Nigerians will support them. The truth is that its the same old people, the same old policies, the same old practices with a new name.

Yes APC is no different from PDP but the issue is, if APC and PDP are one and the same, why are most Nigerian so disturbed about the existence of APC??...

I find it quite strange that lots of people now genuinely support PDP and if u ask them why, they would say, "APC and PDP are the same"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Govt Inherited Nothing From Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan – Buhari / Ohanaeze Accuses FG Of Bias In Call For Kanu’s Re-arrest / Buhari's Nationwide Broadcast, A Farewell Speech - Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.