Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,455 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

About Sap? - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / About Sap? (144956 Views)

Lets Talk About Sap!!! / Knowledge Is Power! Lets Talk About SAP! / What Do You Know About Sap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (48) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About Sap? by Moves: 4:30pm On Feb 18, 2009
Kiwi99, Thanks for you efforts, Man u dey do u own to change our country, abeg hook me up wit wetin dey, ma id na smoves 79@gmail.com
Thanks ma brother
Re: About Sap? by Luchitec(m): 5:02pm On Feb 18, 2009
Kiwi,
I don spend hours dey read all di things u don write about SAP. Thanks bros, you dey 2much. Though, me i still dey a bit confused abt wich option i go follow sef (background na civil engineering), abeg throw dat link come to mai address;mytotalpeace@yahoo.com
Later o.
Re: About Sap? by scorpio1(m): 5:06pm On Feb 18, 2009
Pls abeg una, where i go fit get a practise software of this SAP to learn with, any body who can help me out make u helep me know, Una well done ooo!!!
Re: About Sap? by Puvguy: 5:55pm On Feb 18, 2009
kiwi
i dey Finland and SAP jobs just full everywhere so I wan take advantage b4 9ja guys know about amsmiley (just Kidding) I don order for the SAP stuff on ebay as the doctor yarn. Make u no vex say I dey hussle u like this na only say I wan be like u. u don hammer for life I dey smell success thru ur yarnings.
Re: About Sap? by uchek7(f): 9:17am On Feb 19, 2009
Hello kiwi,

thank u verymuch for the info, i have been really enlightened. i will like to know what aspect of SAP i can go into. my back ground include: Bsc. microbiology, CCNA certification, Autocad Certified.

Is there a SAP office in Lagos?

hope to hear from you soon.
Re: About Sap? by Druss(m): 10:38am On Feb 19, 2009
Real impressed ,  and indeed SAP is where the big money comes from - pity i found that out after i had chosen my venture. It is now I am having headache trying to figure how to train for it!

as uche above me asked - is there an office - i cant go fulltime on a course - but would loved to do a part time one,
Re: About Sap? by kiwi992(m): 11:22am On Feb 19, 2009
Hi All,

PUV, LUCHI and MOVES

A don dooam fo ona.  Mkae ona dey luuk inside ona domot fo Internet.

Moves, e be like sey yoo no enta yuua address propa propa.  A korekt am small.  De leta wey a send yuu neva come bak so e be like sey e don go reech yuu.  A go chek again.

GOBI

A still dey wait fo yuu.  Man dey luuk yuua face.  No vex bot a fo like mkae yuu nak yuua native grama plos broken fo mee, propa, propa.  A onli fit helep yuu eef yuu na awa broda abi sista.  Just nak yuua native grama and speek de brokin like dem dey nak am fo 9ja.

UCHE

You should know by now that I do NOT live in Nigeria (and haven't done so for the past 34 years), so, don't know what's happening in Lagos or our country for that matter.  Please do a search for SAP in Nigeria as I heard there is an office in Abuja.

In terms of your academic and professional background:

MICROBIOLOGY

SAP AG does offer an industry solution for the pharmaceutical industry.  You might need to look into that.

CCNA

I happen to have that qualification as well.  Routing, switching, inter-networking to be precise.  There is SAP Router but not that great - I mean, not much to it, if you see what I mean and it isn't certifiable.  Personally, I'd look into BASIS (Enterprise Portal) on account of this qualification.

AUTOCAD

This is a very good qualification for engineering, architecture and similar.  You really ought to get a good job working with that qualification 'cos I did have a friend over here - an Architect.  He is English but could never get a job as an Architect, after spending seven (7) years at uni, until he did the AutoCad course.  He is now sorted and doing very well, thank you very much.

As regards its relevance in your future SAP studies, I think you should look into PM - Plant Maintenance.

You must make your choice solely based on where your strengths lie (and demand), but definitely not for the money.

SCORPIO

I don't quite understand you!

I did sponsor you some days ago - as per page seven (7) of this thread.  Sadly, you never even bothered to reply to my e-mail to acknowledge it or indeed, come here to show your appreciation by saying a simple 'thank you' as everybody else does.  I think anybody would consider that as being ungrateful, wouldn't you?  

You are now back here asking for some software with which to practise.  Mate, you need to make good use of the link that I gave to you and go through it judiciously.  You'll get all what you want there, okay?

kiwi992.
Nigerian jobs for Nigerians
Re: About Sap? by markos: 12:56pm On Feb 19, 2009
Seen a lot of threads posted in here, seems some people want to jump on the SAP bandwagon because of the potential high income SAP consultants earn, dont know if this is a good reason to start a SAP career

AS Kiwi pointed out, you have to choose carefully what SAP module you want to train with, you have to look into your academic background and see if the modules fits, you cant become an FICO consultant without any finance background, it just dont work, these days the in-demand skill in SAP is related to business process expert, not just having FICO or SDMM, HR, SRM skills, you have to be able to apply the business process skill to your client demand

Like i said earlier, i was lucky to work for a company back in 1998 in South London who had just implemented SAP version 3.1, basically worked my way up the ladder, joined the in-house SAP support team, left after 5 years to become an independent consultant, 4 years later, i am on my 5th contract working for a major telecommunications client in Sweden, been here for 2 years on an SDMM, EDI consultant

There are several ways SAP consultants joined this trade, some used the certification route, some worked their way up the ladder like myself, these certifications, though good to have is no guarantee for employment, experience more than anything else, i.e worked with multiple life cycle implementations is what get consultants the next big contract

I am not certified, but i can safely assume that i have over 10 years experience, having worked with in different projects, used all SAP versions from 3.1 to ECC6, understand business process and how to apply this to diffrent clients, quite familiar with new ERP processes , worked for major FTSE or bluechip companies, SAP has taken me round the world as far as places like China, as far as SAP rates are concerned, it becomes a little factor once you start earning high rates, i feel more fufilled if i perform a good job for my clients, can get contract extensions of up to 1 year and above

I hear SAP are making inroads into the Nigerian market and its about time, over 50 companies use SAP in Nigeria, this is a rather small figure but still encouraging, i can imagine due to lack of experienced of Nigeria based SAP consultants, these companies will have to hire expatriates from europe and the US and possiby India to work in Nigeria for high fees, probably in the range of £600-1500 pounds a day plus free accomodation, flights and expenses, In europe an SAP consultant gets a daily all inclusive rate but i guess in Nigeria, they certainly get a premium rate for their services

SAP is a good career if you choose your progression path carefully, as they say, dont chase the dollar, chase the skill and the dollar will certainly chase you!!!

I have helped a few friends with limited SAP knowledge to jump on the bandwagon and today, they are earning very high rates, your CV needs to be on point as well, your networking skills must be great, you must always keep up with the new processes in ERP, the internet is a great tool for keeping up with SAP

anyone can check this website http://www.jonerp.com/content/blogcategory/38/46/ that is SAP website started by Jon Reed a US based experienced SAP consultant, you get so many tips, you can send him questions, he certainly will reply

Right now, my contract is coming to an end and i have updated my CV and ready for the next role, who Nigeria?? maybe

2 Likes

Re: About Sap? by Puvguy: 5:31pm On Feb 20, 2009
Kiwi,

Thanx u plenty I don receive am but somhow los as na material I need now authe material from source . I don already order for SAP on ebay my mistake sha. I go try follow the forum and enjoy wetin im offer. Anyhow I than u for ur patience and love for my annoying type.

Markos

I am in Finland . I hope u're enjoying urself in Sweden?
Re: About Sap? by nnaiah: 12:05pm On Feb 21, 2009
KIWI

I am almost through with my TERP 10 TRAINING.Everything you have said about SAP training is very much correct.

I have been having HANDS ON training on mySAP ERP 6.0 IDES.

With your invitation,i will be progressing speedily now.

You have given hope and direction to me

In fact i hereby confer on you ,Grand officer Commanding Federal Republic of n,

I FOEREVER REMAIN GRATEFUL TO YOU,YOU TOO MUCH

MARKOS

I have always looked forward to your posts.

pls keep posting,all you posted has been very very helpful.

Thanks alot,

DO YOU HAVE A BLOG?
Re: About Sap? by Luchitec(m): 2:50pm On Feb 21, 2009
Kiwi,
Thanks a lot, i received the link. Regards.
Re: About Sap? by Raheemoho: 9:38pm On Feb 22, 2009
Oga Kiwi and others I salute ohhhhh.

Bros you have been so so helpful to us and as many of us that have gotten any material at all, i feel the only thing we can do to show appreciation is to go and READ BOOK AND PRACTICE and like you challenged, come the second half of the year, at least we have Consultants in the house!!

From my observation on the site, permit me to say most of us are not studying, we just checking out to be spoon fed, which i feel is not necessary. SAP is so demanding that is why there are few Consultants, I have since realized it is not MCSE or CCNA. Just come to the site, get information and trends, go back and read read read. (those of you who have gotten any material at all on SAP, would agree with me that the work load is really really much).

So Bros Kiwi, i dey hia like shadow oh, i dey read book and practice, seriously, seriously, I want to be the first to tell you (like I did with the Code), Bros I don be Consultant ohhhhhhhhhhh. That I know would make you know you have really done a good job.

I decided to go into SAP HR because of my management experience and training over the last 3 years, and also because i feel it is invaluable to any establishment, it has much global demand, the recession is making demand for SAP HR Consultants much and a host of other reasons (everyone this is my decision, it is not open for discussions or debate, oya u make up your mind and get yah own).

I must tell you all the information Kiwi gave was valuable to my decisions and is HELPFUL to my studies.

Cheers guy/girls and all the best.
Re: About Sap? by markos: 1:41pm On Feb 23, 2009
yep SAP is very demanding, maybe thats why most people dont choose this as a career, it is quite different from the likes of MCSE, CCNA, SAP is very hands on, eventhough there is SAP standard installation, many companies implement a company specific or customised installation

For the experienced consultants in here will know exactly what i am on about, you can read loads of training guides and once you get a foot in, you  realise these guides dont  help  that much, what it does, it  helps to navigate round SAP easier, understand the SAP database, how to create reports, some companies i have worked with have different interfaces with SAP, with those that use EDI ( electronic data interchange) thats a different ball game, some companies have up to 20 systems linked with SAP

you also have Industry specific solutions as Kiwi ponted out, like IS oil, SAP for retail, SAP for defence, SAP for manufacturing, they even have a SAP installation for small business

having read some threads, it seems some people want to jump in because of the high rates, i will rather be honest here, of course everyone will choose a career where the potential earnings are high, nothing wrong with that

Within SAP, you have the ''whats hot'' skill set and whats not, so far in the last 5-10 years, it seems SAP FI has been the number skill set favoured by clients ( i got this information from a reputable IT website) SAP SD is also an ''in demand module to know, these days ''SAP business process expert is a highly sought skill, SAP project management is a top skill as well

back in the days, to have configuration skills will get you a foot in, these days having config skills is no longer a guarantee for placement, like i said in an earier post, you have to chase the skill and not the money, you have to choose where your skills fits inside SAP and nt simply chase whats hot because the rates are so high

So many people made this error in the early 90s during the IT boom, i know many Nigerians that were earning between 1000-1500 pounds weekly by taking courses, passing MCSE, MCP, CISCO online exams or getting certification, when the IT bubble burst in the early 2000s, many found out their skills were no longer applicable to todays needs!!

so far SAP has managed to be the top player in the ERP field, outsmarting the likes of oracle, the demand for SAP consultants has continued to see growth

The ECC6 seems to be skill to have, those working on 4.6 or 4.7 better upgrade or look for new roles where ECC5 or ECC6 is the norm, SAP help or what used to be called OSS ( online SAP support ) will cease supporting versions 4.6

Like i have pointed out, it has taken me 10 years to achieve what i earn today, some are far more luckier and earn top rates within a few years but i can safely say i understand the ''ins and outs'' of SAP, worked with every version of SAP right from earlier versions 3.1 to ECC6

any questions, please feel free to ask, i have acess to over 20 to 30 SAP websites for the beginners and even experienced consultants like myself
Re: About Sap? by padmarao: 1:53pm On Feb 23, 2009
You can do SAP certification in Hyderabad, India
Re: About Sap? by nnaiah: 4:18pm On Feb 23, 2009
Raheemoho

< i have acess to over 20 to 30 SAP websites for the beginners and even experienced consultants like myself/>

pls can you send me links,i will appreciate it alot, //xxxxxxxxxx@yaho.com//

I MUST TELL YOU SO MANY NIGERIANS ON NOW IN HOT PURSIUT OF S A P SKILLS
Re: About Sap? by markos: 4:33pm On Feb 23, 2009
www.sapsuperusers.com
www.erpgenie.com
www.sapbrain.com
www.simplysap.com
 http://www.sapdb.info/ probably the best of the lot, so much Elearning downloads, access to training guides, certification guides, you cant go wrong with this site

well i believe Nigerians with the right skill set should develop a career in SAP, you dont ''so called foreign experts exploiting you in your country, they will come and milk your country dry, they will certainly earn over 1000 US dollars daily rate plus expenses and accomodation

any other questions, send a PM
Re: About Sap? by padmarao: 6:27am On Feb 24, 2009
You can try out www.genovate.com or mail your requirement at sales.hyderabad@genovate.com
Re: About Sap? by kiwi992(m): 2:27pm On Feb 24, 2009
Hi All,

PUV

You're alright. 

The link gives you the various material from source.  If you wanted, you could also become a paid-up member and you wouldn't have the need to look elsewhere, e-Bay included.

Actually, I think you should become a paid-up member and avail yourself of all the extra goodies there, being that you live in Finland and so could use PayPal.  Sadly, our brothers and sisters in Nigeria couldn't because their credit cards are not accepted by the payment system in that link, neither can they use PayPal - thanks to the low life Nigerian 419 scammers.  If I were you, I certainly wouldn't trust anybody with my credit card.  Phew! that would be feasting them. 

At this stage, it's most important for you guys to remain focussed by using the academy training material.  Anything else wouldn't do - take it from me.  If you don't, then you'd be wasting your time reading stuff that's not going to help you pass the Consultancy exams.

Yeah, you could always do general reading but the focus should be on training with the academy material.     

All the best.

NNAIAH

Many thanks for your thoughts.  I'm flatttered. 

Glad to know that you are having the crucially important hands-on skills.  Never rush the training, just take your time to perform all the practical exercises in the academy training material.  Please do NOT cut corners.  Practise, practise and practise until the hands-on skills become second nature to you.      

If you train as you are doing at the moment, I can not see as to why you wouldn't succeed.

Good luck.

RAHEEM

You're most welcome.

That said, I feel a bit concerned about the way you are conducting your training.  I say this because you've mentioned 'reading' in a few of your postings, without mentioning 'hands-on' training.

As I've always maintained, it is crucially important to have the hands-on practise using the IDES ECC 6.0.  It would be nigh impossible to pass the exams and perform on the job without the practical skills.

Please ensure that you are getting the hands-on skills.  I can not stress this enough.  If you aren't, PLEASE forget about using the Nigerian 'sense of imagination' in place of the hands-on practise because this wouldn't work with SAP being that it is an entirely practically-oriented training.  I wouldn't even advice anybody to use sims (simulators) becuase you need to feel the real thing.  Know what I mean?

I say this because I've tried all forms of SAP training and nothing works except having the IDES on the one's PC at home (or at the training organisation), and practising the hands-on skills on a daily basis. 

You've got access to the source material - especially the academy training material.  Please use them and remain focussed at all times.  Don't be distracted!

All the best to you.       

LUCHI

You're most welcome.  Good luck to you.

kiwi992.
Re: About Sap? by Raheemoho: 4:19pm On Feb 25, 2009
Oga Kiwi,

Sorry for not been explicit in my messages, i kind of just rush through my statements and I also want to over emphasize the need for us to study.

I am currently having access to the IDES R/3 4.7 and ECC6.0, along with the countless materials I have gotten, all I do is eat, drink and sleep SAP.

I wont let you down, be rest assured.

Thanks alot for the concern.
Re: About Sap? by mrlizo: 2:56am On Feb 26, 2009
Re: About Sap? by cola: 4:22pm On Feb 26, 2009
@ kiwi999

egbon kiwi, I beg as you dey try to dash butter  for bread for all obodo naija pipu, God go dey helepu you sef.
wafi pipu no dey carry last, we sef no go carry last. naija pipu no be olodo na.

i beg helepu me sef carry 'that thing' put for my doormootu for internet

e-mail mi ni yi:   for4tunate@yahoo.com

mo nreti esi yin laipe.

mo dupe pupo.
Re: About Sap? by Moves: 4:47pm On Feb 26, 2009
Thanks Kiwi 99, Got your gift, Will be joining the paid membership, Also am conversant with Telecoms, been searching for SAP units for telecoms, cant seem to find anything yet, any pointers, Morever have a firnd who is looking into SAP but more conversant with Testing as in software testing any pointers on what units he should consider, Once Again thanks for your help.
Re: About Sap? by aiijay: 5:14pm On Feb 27, 2009
Raheemoho,

pls i do need the software like u did for practice, pls how can u be of help.
Re: About Sap? by kiwi992(m): 2:06pm On Feb 28, 2009
Hi All,

SCORPIO

You're alright man.  You're alright, no worries.

RAHEEM

Glad to know that you are getting the crucially important hands-on skills.

Please work extremely hard 'cos it would pay off in the end, when you qualify.  Do see what help you could render to Aiijay.  She does need to get started as well.

COLA

Mo ti shey fu en.  Sho ogbo?  Yuu fo dey luuk inside yua domot fo Internet.

MOVES

I think SAP AG does offer an INDUSTRY SOLUTION for the Telecoms industry. Please look into it.   

Maybe your mate could come in here to tell us precisely what he wants.  In saying that, I'm not quite sure as to where his skills in Software Testing would fit in with SAP.  Still, it would be much better if he comes here to talk to us.

AIIJAY

Please don't worry.  You'll get there in the end.

What you need is the IDES ECC 6.0 on your PC.  Maybe you should get someone to install it for you more than anything else.  All the better if you could implement it yourself.

I'm sure Raheem would be more than happy to liaise with you on that front, so are the others who have already started.  Just keep badgering them but in a nice way.

Whatever happens, please don't despair even though you are very keen to get started.

kiwi992.
Re: About Sap? by aiijay: 5:34pm On Mar 01, 2009
thanks Kiwi!

pls does anyone know where i can get the software to install or can assist in installing for me?

would truly appreciate.

or better still where i can get the software y install on my pc,
Re: About Sap? by scorpio1(m): 6:45pm On Mar 01, 2009
Pray for me, My Terp10 Certification is on Tuesday(03/02/2009),

Got to go and study,

Cheers Mates!
Re: About Sap? by aiijay: 8:15pm On Mar 01, 2009
no worries scorpi,
u would definately pass!

just make sure u read hard, bolu is good, did onodugo teach u guys as well?

tell me all bout it after the exams!

good luck!
Re: About Sap? by cola: 6:44pm On Mar 02, 2009
@ kiwi992

thanks bro! you're the man!

I'll try and make it useful and worth your while.

thanks again, good bro!
Re: About Sap? by Felixv: 4:52am On Mar 03, 2009
Guys,just came across this SAP post by accident,for those guys living in naija,CWG is the main SAP partner in Lagos,they have just finished a couple of implementations and I  had the opportunity to
actually visit a couple of them.,They actually recruited their consultants from Zimbabwe.
As per SAP as a career,well,it is still hot,I work for SAP in the US <AGSA>,

Goodluck

CWG, Computer warehouse group,
F
Re: About Sap? by Felixv: 5:48am On Mar 03, 2009
I need to correct a couple of misconceptions I have read about here,

Enterprise portal is NOT SAP BASIS, actually we now  call SAP BASIS , SAP NETWEAVER.This is a dual stack system,i.e JAVA AND ABAP.
Enterprise portal is pure Java,managing this software is through our  java tools, or the solution manager diagnostics which has the wiley tool

Oracle and SAP are very much together,most of the implementations of SAP is on Oracle and we at SAP actually have an Oracle competence center,yes,it is true that you can
use SAPDB, WHICH IS NOW CALLED MaxDB,or MSSQL.ORACLE is still the preferred database,

The role of a modern day basis administrator is alot deeper than my friend described.First you need to know Unix and Windows,at least one database management system,Java---at least know how the
garbage collector works,know what a Java instance is made up.Know software logistics,RFCs,ABAP DEBUGGING.And performance tuning.

I also read someone mention APO, this is now called SCM and that comprises of a couple of modules,i.e

Demand planning --this uses infocubes so it's  used with BW/BI
SNP  -supply network planning, planning across a whole network
PP/DS -production planning, planning for each plant
SPP -spare parts planning, this is a new module,
etc

actually one of the best modules to learn is BI/BW,there is always work in this area and i know SHELL in Nigeria uses this
module.

the database used with SCM is called LiveCache this is a variant of MaxDB,and this is owned by SAP AG.

and yes,experience matters,there are just too many transaction codes to remember and I  dont see how any training can teach you abap debugging and performance tunning,these are skills
you learn on the job.as a database administrator you need to know alot about EXPENSIVE SQL statements and how to tune them.

But again,nothing is impossible,

I am an SAP CERTIFIED SCM BASIS CONSULTANT,and SAP CERTIFIED OS/DB MIGRATION CONSULTANT,

currently working as a solution consultant for sap ags,in the US,where i specialize in performance tunning and service delievery

as per training,am not sure india is the best place,yes it is alot cheaper,but the language and quality of the training is questionable,for those guys in naija i will
recommend the sap training center in SA.Abuja also offers some modules.sap is actually trying to work hard in the naija marketplace,UNN has been chosen has a preferred education
partner for naija,so that might be a good place to get your certification.

http://www.unn.edu.ng/images/announce/sapterp10.pdf

also sap is also trying to emulate the SA success story in Nigeria as well,so there might be alot more sap jobs in the future.after the oceanic bank,dangote,and a couple of
implementations that occured last year i see the other naija banks seriously considering implementing SAP.The banks in naija know that for them to be considered among the big
boys in the world they need to start using a world class software to manage their business,finacle which dominates the naija marketplace has its days numbered.So to take advantage of the
coming boom,you need to get the skills, enough said!!!!!!

http://allafrica.com/stories/200902160881.html

thanks

F

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (48) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Salary Structure? / Welcome To My Office / Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.