Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,809 members, 7,820,835 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story (32548 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 5:33am On Oct 31, 2013
This story is set in the US: its genre is complex(or let me say all rounder) because it would cut across many facets of life: love, adventure, religion, magical, political, thriller, tragedies, comedies, fantasy, vendetta, etc. As the name implied, we are going to find many geniuses in the story as we move on. The central character's name is Henry White: he has a destiny ahead of him but was faced with the challenge of going for the direct opposite of his destiny.

No part of this story may be copied without the permission of the author.
Copyright © SammyHoe2013
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 6:00am On Oct 31, 2013
All road leads to WWW.yarn me.com.ng

1 Like

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 6:27am On Oct 31, 2013
Your comments would go a long way to encourage me. Please do...COMMENT.

1 Like

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 6:48am On Oct 31, 2013
“How?” he asked. “Can you let me know how you’ve been doing it?”
“Studying of course!” he spoke abruptly. “Just like anyone else.”
“How?”
Henry said, “How what?” and the man replied, “How many times before the exams do you go through a particular subject?” Henry became cold when he heard the question. He’d never enjoyed revealing the secret, because the aftermath of such revelation in the past had always been unfavorable to him. No one had ever believed it. He kept mute.
“Talk to me,” the man persuaded in a calm voice, but Henry lingered in his muteness, bowing his head and staring vacantly at the floor as if expecting the response to germinate from it.
“I’m a busy man—got no time to waste boy!” cried the gutted man at him, having lost patience. The boy knew he had to talk now, to avoid incurring his wrath. He did that diplomatically, releasing a simulated cough simultaneously with his response. As expected, the sound of the cough drowned out the response Henry gave, making the Professor unable to decipher Henry’s response, so the man demanded a repetition:
“Can’t hear you. You’ve got to repeat.”
“Just once and I don’t repeat,” Henry replied with utmost seriousness. The man, who was already infuriated, misconstrued his speech.
“Hey, you said such to me, your dean? Telling me you can’t repeat yourself?” vociferated the man—the dean of the faculty of science in the university. Henry sensed trouble, so he made his statement clearer.
“You’ve misconstrued me sir. I’ve only said I studied each course once and never have to go back to them again for revision or whatever,” he explained. The dean burst into a loud laughter; Henry’s reply had sounded incredible to him. He spoke amidst the laughter, “What do you take me for—a fool?” he paused and resumed later, “Alright, and how many days do you spend on a subject— to cover it up?”
“Days? I don’t spend days—only few minutes and that’s all with the course for the semester,” he replied, looking embarrassingly at his dean, insinuating the repercussion of his incredible but factual statement. The man’s mouth was wide agape. He soon found his voice.
“So… what you’re trying to say is that you study each subject once, within an hour, and the whole thing gets stuck to your brain just like that, even till the examination days?” Henry nodded in affirmation and the dean continued, “Got a magnet in there?” The dean pointed to Henry’s forehead in a highly puzzled manner. Silence followed!

The boy, not at ease and willing to hasten up the conversation, broke the silence:
“You won’t believe it, just as no one had. Sir, can I go now?” he asked as he rose up.
“You ain’t walking outta here except you tell me the truth, so please have your seat,” the man said ushering Henry back to the rocking chair he was once sitting on. The boy sank into it again.

1 Like

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 31, 2013
Leebliss13 you don run reach here now now. How's life nah?
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 31, 2013
*Grabs a seat* 0ga sammy..i just de 0h..nice writeup.

1 Like

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 31, 2013
“Now listen young man, you needn’t tell lies to someone like me—” he paused abruptly to swallow his spittle. “Long years’ experiences can tell if you’ve lied or not. I’ve been to many universities around the globe, both as student and as lecturer. I studied gynecology in Germany, Mathematics in Mauritius, History in India—even here in the US, California precisely, I studied Physics.” He sighed and resumed few seconds later.
“I read six courses all through it, came out with distinctions in all, but yet not seen anyone with a magnetic brain. Now stop the joke and tell me something factual for God’s sake,” he shouted and banged the table concurrently in annoyance. Henry was gripped with nervousness. He kept mute in apprehension. “What am I going to say?” he thought.
“Ain’t you going to say something?”
“I’ve said it already sir.”
“Stop kidding dude, you’re lying to me?”
“It’s the truth sir.”
“You lie,” whispered the man in a voice almost out of earshot.
“It’s the truth sir.”
“I said you lie,” the man bawled.
“I’m not sir. I—” he was interrupted by the man’s speech in a low tone. “Then I lie.”
“You don’t,” said Henry almost immediately.
“Then I’m right I said you lie,” shouted the dean.
“No sir,” he maintained.
“If I’m not lying and you’re not lying too, then who is?” Henry knew what the man was trying to drive at. He felt that silence was the best thing at that moment, so he sat speechless.
“Gerrout now dude! Can’t bear liars—I hate them.”
“So do I,” Henry professed apprehensively.
“You do?” asked the man in an intrigued manner, though already knowing what to do with the response he was envisaging. Henry replied quickly, “Yes I do.”
“You mean you do!” pestered the professor and he responded, “Of course yes!”
“Then you should hate yourself—you can leave now,” he said with fury, eyes red in anger, just like the eyes of a drunkard who had not recovered yet from inebriation. It was a usual thing for the man to lose his temper. Even over trivial issues, he would go about shouting very loud. But the dean was not the kind of person one would think he was, in term of his oft melancholic display. He was a cool-headed fellow, though sometimes his temper, if tampered with, could go out of hand.
Over one of those fiddles, the Prof. had lost his housewife, Lily, and was now left with a mistress called Rose. It happened just two weeks back.
“A professor of my caliber needn’t worry my head over a lady,” he had once thought, “I’ve got tons of them asking me out.”

1 Like

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Sugarbabekemi(f): 1:45pm On Oct 31, 2013
Nyce, following bumper 2 bumper.

1 Like

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by ritababe(f): 2:31pm On Oct 31, 2013
bring it on
****following right away****
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Mcmooney(m): 3:33pm On Oct 31, 2013
make i catch mysef say i no dey here...... Ride o broda i dey wit u all da way
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 31, 2013
The man was only forty-four but he looked much older than his age. When asked why, he had explained that his days on earth had been full of serious studies, which had made him grow older than his age.
“Then you should rather hate yourself,” he concluded, “Now leave!”
Henry lingered, trying to make a protest, but he stuttered.
“I—I’m telling…”
The dean cut him short:
“I’m a Professor of physics; do you know what that means?” he boasted.
“Yes I think I know,” Henry replied, not sure of what the man was going to do with the response he would give.
“What’s it?” the dean asked looking probingly at his student’s eyes. He got the response promptly.
“Your brain’s as developed as that of Albert Einstein.”
“Far more developed,” added the dean, “Einstein lived in the past but I live in the present, when technology is at its peak. I’m far more civilized—got more formulae than he, because millions of theories emerged even after his existence and I’ve got them all in here,” he prided himself on, clicking his skull, unaware of some flashes of light probably having their source from something somewhere outside the office. Henry noticed the flickers but did not afford his brain enough time to guess what they were, though it had registered into his sub-consciousness.
“Young dude, inside here dwell six disciplines, hot and intact,” the dean spoke on, still clicking his skull with his right hand index finger, but in a more intense manner now, “You try discussing gynecology I’m with you, or you want to tell histories, I’ll sure beat you to it. Astronomy, Psychology, all’s intact here Henry,” he bragged incessantly, pacing about in the office. On resuming he said, “D’you know my point? All through these acquisitions I studied very hard, spending time…and time…and time…”
“Time times time, isn’t it?” intruded Henry tersely, trying to hasten him up with the wit he had just employed. The man got the message. Henry had just summarized the dean’s monotonous words mathematically. He was always at his peak performance when it comes to summarizing voluminous passages of books into a very few words—sometimes with the aid of pneumonic.

1 Like

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by ritababe(f): 7:40pm On Oct 31, 2013
Ride on jare
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 8:08pm On Oct 31, 2013
Sammy am with you on this. Ride on. We are finishing it together.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 31, 2013
your voices are like fuel jare...wetin I go say I chop wey I nor go ride on....?
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 31, 2013
gbam!!!!

glossary: laconism-same as terseness and taciturnity: rudeness of speech because of its brevity; guffaw-to laugh very loud

Henry was staring at the man now, in apprehension, realizing what he had just done. The dean was not vexed at all by Henry’s laconism. He praised him instead:
“Hmm! This boy, you’re good at manipulating words,” said the dean in a manner conspicuously suggesting that had been impressed by Henry’s lexical astuteness. “Just keep it up—uh!”
Seconds after, both remained wordless, gazing coincidentally into one another’s eyes. The man was not shy each time such happened, but Henry was, trying each moment to avoid the eye contacts. When he could not, he lowered his head slightly and stared blankly at the floor, eyes absent-minded, but ears at alert, expecting to hear the man speak again.
“Young chap—” said the man finally, “I’ve got all I’ve got through being hardworking, rigorously hardworking. Are you trying to say that one can achieve success without thorough studies? It’s a blatant lie!”
“Well,” spoke Henry, “It depends on your personal definition of working hard; I define mine as doing what you know best that can give you success,” Henry smiled. He thought he’d just put forward a lexical theory that the man would sure want to adopt, but he was shocked when the professor looked critically at him and guffawed. He said, “Then it means those who cheat in exams are hardworking, Isn’t it?”
“I—I…” Henry stammered, unable to give a claim to back up his argument. He gave up eventually, though the man had not given up his expectation of wanting to hear him concretize his line of reasoning.
“Speak let me hear,” laughed the man quizzically at him.
“I’ve got nothing to say,” he confessed, yet in his mind he had a lot of confusions stumbling over one another. They were the thoughts of anger, wrath, indignations and bitterness.
“It means your definition is wrong, Henry. You can leave now.” The dean gnawed his fingernails. He was waiting patiently for Henry’s departure but it never went that way. The man spoke once more, this time extremely annoyed, “I said leave, since you insist on lying and I loathe liars.”
“So do I,” said Henry with no trace of humor in his tone, “Sir why not put me to test and see what I’m talking ’bout?”

The man showed elation over Henry's statement. He thought he should give it a trial immediately.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 31, 2013
Damex333: Sammy am with you on this. Ride on. We are finishing it together.

I pray o cheesy
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 1:04am On Nov 01, 2013
“Uh—test you isn’t it? Oops! That sounds sensible to me!” he exclaimed, directing his swivel chair swiftly toward the shelf. He rose up immediately from it, scrambling his hands through the top of the shelf in search of something. In a short moment, he was having a handful of books.
“Henry, I’m going to test you as you’ve said. Here are books, different in sizes, shapes and contents—styles—of different disciplines and publishers; Gynecology, Mathematics, Psychology—” Henry interrupted, “library of literatures.”
“You are at it again Henry, trying to summarize it up, huh,” said the dean. “Yes I found it!” he howled almost immediately. Presenting a book to the boy, he said, “Have it.” He made a loud sigh when Henry received it.
“It took me six good days to master what’s in it,” the dean confessed genuinely. “So—you want to prove to me that you can study it once and master all that’s in it, innit?”
“Yeah,” replied Henry, already perusing the front page.
“Just read the first chapter only...” instructed the dean, “for time factor,” he added. Henry read silently to his own hearing alone. In five minutes he was through with the wordy chapter, and he raised his head to indicate that he was done with it.
“So quick!” the man yelled, “Close it.” Henry obeyed, handing it over to him after he had closed it.
“It’s going to be great shock for me—” he drew in breath, “if you could correctly answer these questions.” He began to ask his questions and Henry was warding them off succinctly.

Being startled by Henry’s level of cleverness, the man screamed:
“How come? I’m quite sure you’ve never in your life studied gynecology—how come you could supply the answers as precise as they are in the book?”
“That’s what I’m talking about,” whispered Henry in a shy manner, apprehensively waiting to hear him speak. The man lowered his gaze again to fix it at the book, then he persisted in asking the questions until he was satisfied (when Henry got one of them wrong) that he had achieved his aims.
“Henry d’you know what?”
“What?” he asked, slightly nervous.
“You’re a genius!” commented the man, looking rapturously at him—amazed and horrified. Henry said, “Genius? Even after getting a question wrong?”
“Hey, don’t be fooled young man. The one you missed was not related to gynecology at all—not in the book, let alone the chapter you’ve just read,” divulged the man, chuckling silently. Henry smiled and said “No wonder!” in his mind.
The dean had asked Henry the question he got wrong so as to prevent him from getting all. It was his usual practice to do such a thing whenever he was to put questions forward. No one had ever scored a hundred percent in his courses, because of the ‘out-of-syllabus’ questions he was wont to including in them.
“You belong to the genus of geniuses!” the dean exclaimed.
Henry replied, “Sir, you don’t mean it!”
“I’m serious!” the man responded quickly, digressing, “I was called Wilson G for a specific reason—can you guess what that G signifies?”
“Don’t know,” Henry replied, attempting to avoid being roped into a fresh discussion with him again. He was yearning to get out of his office, at least to feel the natural ambience outside there once again. The man beleaguered Henry to say something but the boy made it clear that he was not good at guessing.
“C’mon—” pestered the professor, “try a guess.”
Henry nodded in disapproval.
“Okay, just say whatever you like.”
“Goat—it stands for goat,” said Henry unscrupulously, having not thought of the gravity of the probable consequence of the statement he had just made.
“Keep shut!” retorted the dean, “What d’you take me for? I ain’t Goat!”
“I’m sorry, that’s what I like. You asked me to say whatever I like.”
“I mean sensible thing,” the man spoke promptly in earnest.
“I like goat, that’s why,” he said politely.
“You like goat?” asked the dean greatly puzzled and amused.
“Yes sir,” said Henry, “Why do you ask?” The man kept silent, looking at Henry as if he was a weirdo.
“Then you must be stubborn—” deduced the man and coughed, “like a goat.”
“Maybe—” responded Henry agreeably, “If you say so.” The dean spoke on:
“Let me be tacit, Henry I’ve got a lot of seminars to deliver within two weeks, on Physics, Gynecology, Astronomy—I’ve got to get prepared for them all.” He faced Henry squarely and said, “That G I’m talking about stands for Genius—you know what?”
“No sir,” said Henry, slightly waving his hands to show that he did not know ‘what was what’.
“I’m transferring that G to you right away because you’re genuinely a genius,” spoke the man with utmost seriousness. Henry disbelieved him, taking his words for flattery. He told the man his mind at once, but the man debunked Henry’s feeling.
“Why should I flatter you Henry? Hear me, I can see in you the mark of a genius—as from now your name’s Henry G— accepted?”
“Provided that G signifies goat,” replied Henry while the man’s words were still in his mouth. Then it dawned on the dean that he was dealing with a kind of obstinate fellow.
“Don’t make fun of the whole thing,” instructed the man in exasperation.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 01, 2013
L0ls...g0at!..hahaha..keep kicking it sammy,the s0n 0f a mammy! grin
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by ritababe(f): 8:53am On Nov 01, 2013
Very Clever Henry.......But out of everywords na goat im mind come choose
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 9:59am On Nov 01, 2013
ritababe: Very Clever Henry.......But out of everywords na goat im mind come choose

e fit get reason sha
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by ritababe(f): 10:01am On Nov 01, 2013
Sammy Hoe:

e fit get reason sha

ok***waiting for next update
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 10:07am On Nov 01, 2013
Glossary: predilection: great liking for something...Insignia-symbol...Reminiscence-the act of remembering the past...

Factually, Henry was not trying to be funny; he had developed predilections for goats since the time he had read the history of Alexander the Great. While reading in those days, he came to know the insignia of Alexander’s power—Goat horn! Thus Henry’s love for goats was developed.
Finally, the professor cleared his phlegmy throat as he was set to say something.
“Henry G—” he called him, “I’ve asked you to come here for a purpose—your result. You’re the best overall in your set, with a single B and the rest A’s so far…You know what?” said the man impatiently, not waiting for a response as he continued, “You’re not alone in this race. You’ve got a rival.” Henry’s countenance changed instantly to a resentful one.
“He’s in the Petroleum Engineering—currently, his CGPA tallies with yours.” Henry was not going to let anyone beat him to it, so he queried gravely, “Professor who’s he? I mean what’s his name?”
“Name?” asked the dean as if traumatized, “Don’t know,” the man lied. “I sent for him just two days ago—told him what I’m about to tell you now.”
‘What’s that?” said Henry showing great concern momentarily.
“Well… It’s nothing,” the dean said and paused, not knowing exactly the best way to present it. “Just this—how will it be if a man like me and you can be so much endowed with knowledge to the extent of knowing what’s going to happen in the future?”
“Future?” said Henry in an impervious approach. “I think that’s no new thing. Doctors can predict the aftermath of some diseases and—” he paused to cough, “periods of childbirth. Meteorologists can tell the weather—psychologists—they read the mind…”
“Hold it!” cried the man uneasily. “Not talking about that here, something else. Henry, I mean the power of the universe, to monitor people and things without the satellite—controlling whosoever’s life you wish; lots more.” It sounded complex to the boy.
“I—I don’t seem to understand!” he exclaimed.
“Okay—take for instance someone’s going to gun you down, but you’ve seen that couple of hours ago, before the act was going to be perpetrated, are you still going to die?” said the dean, stressing his last phrase more than the rest in the complex sentence he had uttered, perhaps to serve as a mean to some ends.
“Not at all sir!” Henry replied at once, “I’ll rather prevent it—if I can.”
“That’s exactly what I’m saying,” the dean deduced, smiling affectionately, “A genius like you with this power I’m telling you about will definitely be invincible in all walks of life.”
Henry yawned—then he spoke:
“Sure?”
“Definitely! That guy isn’t going to be match f’you, because you’ll become an extraordinary genius…after getting the power.”
“Is he a genius too?” asked Henry in a very inquisitive attitude, in a way not usual with him.
“Yeah—,” he replied, then smiled as he added “but not a wise one” shaking his head in a manner that was suggesting that the chap he was talking about was not wise enough for him to have rejected his offer.
“But why?” Henry wanted to know.
“He’s never wanting this power I’ve just told you of. I told him about it, but the fool rebuffed sharply, telling me he wasn’t interested in getting any power.” Henry had deduced something from the man’s assertion just now. If he should reject the offer before him now, he was sure that the dean would talk ill of him to another too. However, Henry never made his fear conspicuous, rather he asked “Why?” and got a reply through the man’s body language—a shrug of the shoulder, meaning that he did not know why the said genius had rejected the offer. Silence followed but the dean turned it around so soon:
“Over to you Henry—” he said and sniffed, “d’you need this power? It’ll help you,” the man enticed, leaving Henry in a state of vacillation.
“Power,” recapitulated Henry in an almost inaudible voice, clicking the table with the longest finger on his right hand.
“Yeah power,” replied the dean, maintaining the tempo, “That guy isn’t going to be match for you.”
A long silence descended into the office as Henry fell into a serious reminiscence…
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hmmm, the dean wan turn something else. Am here prediction no come my head now. Just continue.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 01, 2013
Now am left to reminisce Doctor Faustus.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 01, 2013
Nkpume Iko: Now am left to reminisce Doctor Faustus.
Which 1 be Doctor Faustus nah?
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by ritababe(f): 10:48pm On Nov 01, 2013
waiting for the next update

chewing my gum
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 11:29pm On Nov 01, 2013
CHAPTER TWO
Reminiscing

He saw Ted on the court busy with a game. Although Ted was sweating profusely under the hot sun, yet it seemed he was not going to give up on the demanding task he was performing all alone by himself. When Ted lifted his head and saw his friend walking towards him, he smiled as he waited for him.

“Ted, hope you are not going to spend the whole time here playing games.”
“And you… over there—” replied Ted pointing toward the school library where his friend had just exited, “studying.”
Henry would have him corrected, so he said, “No… reading novels.”
“Hmm,” grumbled Ted in disbelief, “I know that’s what you’ll say—always reading novels and scoring millions of A’s, isn’t it?” Henry ignored him, attempting to digress.
“Ted have you seen her—today?”
“Yeah,” he replied, “She just left the basketball court now, I think with Pete,” said Ted in a way that would upset his friend. Ted never wanted Henry to go after that Chinese girl, Cynthia, but Henry was not ready to give up. He had wanted her by all means, but she had never looked to his side once, preferring Pete instead, because he was a sport person, being one of the key players in the school basketball team.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
ritababe: waiting for the next update

chewing my gum
sori 4 kiping u chewing ur gum for 2 long o.. embarassed
u chew am so tey u forget am 4 mouth sleep abi? grin
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by ritababe(f): 12:40pm On Nov 02, 2013
Sammy Hoe:
sori 4 kiping u chewing ur gum for 2 long o.. embarassed
u chew am so tey u forget am 4 mouth sleep abi? grin

bros that ur last update too short
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by OMA4U(m): 5:46pm On Nov 03, 2013
I'm really enjoying your story line. Abeg, kom pour out more tory o
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 05, 2013
OMA4U: I'm really enjoying your story line. Abeg, kom pour out more tory o
I am sorry o. I nor get GPRS for this area since all dis days o.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 05, 2013
All roads lead to www. . com.ng

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Love Don't Cost A Thing. / My Village Prince And I / Novel: Caught In The Moment (house Of Earl Fashion) Written By: Onyeneke Abel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.