Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? (27894 Views)

A Ghastly Motor Accident Along Akure - Ilesha Expressway / Car Mileage And Engine Performance / Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by kenzspunpy(m): 12:23pm On Jul 10, 2008
Please Auto Gurus I need your enlightenment. How does changing the oil for servicing a motor car affect the car engine performance?

My auto mechanic erroneously changed the oil I used in servicing my Honda car (1995 Model) from Total oil to AP (Visco 2000) and days after, the engine started making some funny noises and i was told that it was due to the change.

fotodaddy, nkc, viperman, inspired, and others kindly respond.

1 Like

Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by fotodaddy: 2:08pm On Jul 10, 2008
You need to specify the type of oil not only the brand.

If you look on the can you will find the API clasification. If they are similar, then changing brands really doesnt amount to much.

However, I have observed that a lot of Oil dealers adultrate the oils. If you notice, some mechanics do not break the seals of the oil can when they open it. They then sell the kegs for as much as 700 bucks. The buyers of such kegs refill with ordinary oil or even other oil types, and sell it for the price of the original.

I lost the engine of my Mitsubishi Eclipse about 8 year ago like this. And this was after an oil change at Mobil Maryland. That was the last time I was there.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by obitobe: 3:59pm On Jul 10, 2008
every engine has it specification and the rating(octane rating) of oil which you are to use for servicing the car.now check the manual of your car for the specify oil ratings to be used,if you derivate sharply from that it might affect your car but if the ratings is in the same range you do not have to worry.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by triaophant: 4:55pm On Jul 10, 2008
To the poster, I do not think that the change of oil is the problem except perharps you fell into the hands of dubious auto mechanics who use refilled engine oil if you are not too observant to service customers cars. These refilled engine oil are mostly expired and they purchase such engine oil and refill it with smaller cans and containers which they sell to unsuspecting members of the public. As for your change of engine oil, though not all that advisable, it cannot radically alter the performance of your engine. I changed over from Oando to AP VISCO 2000 for over a year now on my Benz car and I can attest that the engine performance has been excellent. As a matter of fact, that engine oil is designed for cars such as Rover, BMW, Ford, Mercedes Benz, Peugeot, Jaguar, Volvo, Volkswagen, Fiat, SAAB, All JAPANESE and KOREAN cars. So you can see that your Honda falls within the cars that the AP VISCO 2000 is designed for. It has the following SPECIFICATIONS:SAE 20W 50 SJ/CH4, ACEA A3-98, E-96, MB228.1, 229.1, JASO DX-1. It is a low friction premium quality Motor oil formulated to handle all stress levels in modern petrol and diesel engines. It provides superb control over deposits, wear, oxidation, rust and corrosion. It has an ultimate engine protection, improves engine cleanliness, stop-start and extreme driving conditions, increases power output, reduces fuel consumption and enhances easy cold start. BUT MY ADVICE IS THAT NEXT TIME YOU WANT TO SERVICE YOUR CAR, DRIVE TO ANY AP STATION AND BUY JUST TWO 4 LITRES CANS OF THE ENGINE OIL BY YOURSELF AND TAKE IT TO YOUR MECHANIC. Check also whether your engine seatings are ok, check your motor fan and fan belt and see if it is wobbling, finally have a look at your wheel alignment.

2 Likes

Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by fotodaddy: 5:08pm On Jul 10, 2008
obitobe:

every engine has it specification and the rating(octane rating) of oil which you are to use for servicing the car.now check the manual of your car for the specify oil ratings to be used,if you derivate sharply from that it might affect your car but if the ratings is in the same range you do not have to worry.

Ol boy, octane rating has nothing whatsoever to do with Motor Engine oil

triaophant:

To the poster, I do not think that the change of oil is the problem except perharps you fell into the hands of dubious auto mechanics who use refilled engine oil if you are not too observant to service customers cars. These refilled engine oil are mostly expired and they purchase such engine oil and refill it with smaller cans and containers which they sell to unsuspecting members of the public. As for your change of engine oil, though not all that advisable, it cannot radically alter the performance of your engine. I changed over from Oando to AP VISCO 2000 for over a year now on my Benz car and I can attest that the engine performance has been excellent. As a matter of fact, that engine oil is designed for cars such as Rover, BMW, Ford, Mercedes Benz, Peugeot, Jaguar, Volvo, Volkswagen, Fiat, SAAB, All JAPANESE and KOREAN cars. So you can see that your Honda falls within the cars that the AP VISCO 2000 is designed for. It has the following SPECIFICATIONS:SAE 20W 50 SJ/CH4, ACEA A3-98, E-96, MB228.1, 229.1, JASO DX-1. It is a low friction premium quality Motor oil formulated to handle all stress levels in modern petrol and diesel engines. It provides superb control over deposits, wear, oxidation, rust and corrosion. It has an ultimate engine protection, improves engine cleanliness, stop-start and extreme driving conditions, increases power output, reduces fuel consumption and enhances easy cold start. BUT MY ADVICE IS THAT NEXT TIME YOU WANT TO SERVICE YOUR CAR, DRIVE TO ANY AP STATION AND BUY JUST TWO 4 LITRES CANS OF THE ENGINE OIL BY YOURSELF AND TAKE IT TO YOUR MECHANIC. Check also whether your engine seatings are ok, check your motor fan and fan belt and see if it is wobbling, finally have a look at your wheel alignment.

Ol boy!!! You dey funny o!! You dey work with AP!!! Ah ha take am easy na!!! grin grin grin
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Carlosein(m): 5:52pm On Jul 10, 2008
triaophant:

i may have to agree with triaophant for the reason that last year november i serviced my car (mitsubishi gallant) and used AP VISCO 2000 oil which i bought myself from a reputable dealer in isolo. everytime i check the oil, it surprises me that the colour hasn't changed much unlike previous ones i used and the engine runs better. i have decided to stick with V-2000 and to always buy myself. am even changing the oil soon and may probably do it myself.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Ivvie: 5:56pm On Jul 10, 2008
`
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by adesolar(m): 6:42pm On Jul 10, 2008
So what's the koko for a 2007 Accord?
What is the recommended oil that I can get here in Naija?
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Carlosein(m): 7:07pm On Jul 10, 2008
Ivvie:

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This isn't real. If you put 20W50 in a Honda (whatever year) you will do serious damage to the engine. 20W 50 is thicker and densed. It's kinematic velocity is different and weight loss as well. It wouldn't lubricate the entire engine and you will damage your oil pump and clog the screen. Before the damage to the oil pump, the car rides hard and pulls sluggishly. Remember, oil in a vehicle in terms of combustion is a controlled burn. The oil 20W 50 is for heavy duty trucks (biased towards diesel). That is the grade you put in a Ford F250/F350 or race cars.

Whatever Visco 2000 is, I cannot tell you but oil is classified as Multi Grade. Honda uses SAE 5W -30 in the Fall/Spring (Winter) and SAE 10W - 30 in the Summer and have to be energy conserving API II (I think). Same as Toyota and 6 cylinder Lexus models. If Visco 2000 is used for heavy truck and vehicle, then I must submit to you that the practice is done in ignorance.

Using European vehicles (Jag, Volvo, BMW) as a yard stick to the Honda is simply off. Those vehicles use European formula which is SAE 0W - 40 all year and mostly use synthetic because they run hotter. In some cases, SAE 5W-40. This grade is heavier to the manufacturers recommendations for the Honda. For newer BMW's, it uses the BMW oil (which is a proprietory Mobil1 Adv SuperSyn).

Keep in mind, you can mix 5w-30 with 0w-30 but not 5w-30 with 5w-40. They act different at different engine temperatures and engine motion and lubricate differently. One is denser than the other and both don't mix. You get hap-hazard lubrication. Some people go the extra mile of putting additives.

Caution: Never use oil without the "SAE" logo or ID on it. It is just not certified.

so what's your point

1 Like

Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Ivvie: 7:28pm On Jul 10, 2008
`
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Carlosein(m): 8:05pm On Jul 10, 2008
Ivvie:

What you've said is inconsistent with the properties of the recommended engine oil. The bronze colour you see is more like a die sort of like an activator. Royal Purple Oil is purple in colour. Heat in energy causes it to turn deep brown or tan brown and black when completely burnt. The purpose of engine oil is to lubricate, reduce wear, cool and clean. It is impossible for your engine after operation not to get dirty. If your oil still looks as unused when replacement is due, it means you either never used the vehicle or a solution other than engine oil designed for a higher heat index was used.

I can see where you are coming from.

Go through Fotodaddy's comment.

Carlosein:

i may have to agree with triaophant for the reason that last year november i serviced my car (mitsubishi gallant) and used AP VISCO 2000 oil which i bought myself from a reputable dealer in isolo. everytime i check the oil, it surprises me that the colour hasn't changed much unlike previous ones i used and the engine runs better. i have decided to stick with V-2000 and to always buy myself. am even changing the oil soon and may probably do it myself.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by fotodaddy: 8:36pm On Jul 10, 2008
Ivvie:

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This isn't real. If you put 20W50 in a Honda (whatever year) you will do serious damage to the engine. 20W 50 is thicker and densed. It's kinematic velocity is different and weight loss as well. It wouldn't lubricate the entire engine and you will damage your oil pump and clog the screen. Before the damage to the oil pump, the car rides hard and pulls sluggishly. Remember, oil in a vehicle in terms of combustion is a controlled burn. The oil 20W 50 is for heavy duty trucks (biased towards diesel). That is the grade you put in a Ford F250/F350 or race cars.

Whatever Visco 2000 is, I cannot tell you but oil is classified as Multi Grade. Honda uses SAE 5W -30 in the Fall/Spring (Winter) and SAE 10W - 30 in the Summer and have to be energy conserving API II (I think). Same as Toyota and 6 cylinder Lexus models. If Visco 2000 is used for heavy truck and vehicle, then I must submit to you that the practice is done in ignorance.

Using European vehicles (Jag, Volvo, BMW) as a yard stick to the Honda is simply off. Those vehicles use European formula which is SAE 0W - 40 all year and mostly use synthetic because they run hotter. In some cases, SAE 5W-40. This grade is heavier to the manufacturers recommendations for the Honda. For newer BMW's, it uses the BMW oil (which is a proprietory Mobil1 Adv SuperSyn).

Keep in mind, you can mix 5w-30 with 0w-30 but not 5w-30 with 5w-40. They act different at different engine temperatures and engine motion and lubricate differently. One is denser than the other and both don't mix. You get hap-hazard lubrication. Some people go the extra mile of putting additives.

Caution: Never use oil without the "SAE" logo or ID on it. It is just not certified.

Ol boy I wonder what weight is used in Saudi. Cos for sure you will need heavier oil in hotter countries than in colder. Here in Naija, I am sure you can
t get a locally blended oil with a weight lower than 20. Meanwhile thats not to mention all the people that add "oil treatment" and increase the weight to like 60 or 70.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 10, 2008
dang! Enough mechanics on this forum, right on!
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Tats(m): 12:04am On Jul 11, 2008
@Ivvie has provided enough points, but just to add more,

Engine Oils are typically a blend of Base oil and additives. The additives are special chemicals that are added to the base oil (sort of ordinary oil) to enable it function properly at different temperatures, with the right viscosity (fluid movement) and also protect the engine. After each blending in the plant, the different mixtures formulated are usually carefully tested in the lab to meet the requirements of different vehicle engines (including motorcycles), hence you have different types of engine oil for different engine types.

Usually, most of the oil people buy off the streets (I mean those that are not sealed and usually measured in cans) in Nigeria have very minimal additives added to it and hence not good for your engine. That's why they are cheap, as additives are very expensive and will make the lubricant price high. You need to get the right oil for your engine and you shoud be able to get that advice from a good mechanic or filling station store or from the manual of your car.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Nobody: 12:09am On Jul 11, 2008
Ivvie may have made some points

But using 5w/30 in Nigeria? I disagree

and saying 20w/50 is biased towards diesel- nna bros abeg be careful o

We may have to start backing up our facts with confirmed additive manufacturer literature
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Tats(m): 12:15am On Jul 11, 2008
salsera:

Ivvie may have made some points

But using 5w/30 in Nigeria? I disagree

and saying 20w/50 is biased towards diesel- nna bros abeg be careful o

We may have to start backing up our facts with confirmed additive manufacturer literature

Its quite a long time ago I found myself in the lubricants sector so I can't remember the different formulae anymore grin  grin. I leave it to the current experts  cheesy
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Ivvie: 6:27am On Jul 11, 2008
`
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by nkc(m): 6:41am On Jul 11, 2008
sorry poster

for late reply, been busy,

from d many posts on here, go with fotodaddy and ivvie, theres are less technical, so u can understand, easily unlike d others,

but simply put, look for d oda oil gallon, go and check d api specs on it, just compare d specs on d gallon body to that of d new oil gallon u r using , if they r d same, then ur car has a different issue, other than d oil, it maybe that d filter may not be original( wo knows dis days) but run a check, tru everything and pls drive less until ur research is over, it may just be sumtin else tat needs yur attention. have a nice day
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 11, 2008
20W-50 is not just for heavy trucks.

It is also recommended by many manufacturers, where the engine has covered a lot of miles, and the use of thinner oils will result in excessive blow-by.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by sinaoye(m): 12:30pm On Jul 11, 2008
pls i notice that my toyota carina 2 runs short of oil after every trip i take. is it that i need to change the engine. also there is a grinding noise when i try to climb a hill on the highway even when i am using a lower gear. the car has put in a lot of miles but what can i do make it put in more miles.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by pssword: 2:33pm On Jul 11, 2008

1 Like

Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by sultaan(m): 3:58pm On Jul 11, 2008
5-30w, and 10-30w is good enough for Nigerian climate. It takes about 4.7l of oil to do oil change for most cars.Remember to do it regularly(3-5 months), and change the filter with each oil change. The API rating of the oil should also be considered API SJ for cars up to 2001, SG -> 2004 and SM after the rating you need will be on your oil cap.

@ poster, go buy a keg(5 quart) of 10-30w oil from a reputable Mobil and genuine oil filter and have some him change it again while you watch. Do this ASAP/ immediately or you might need another engine
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by moyinmc: 12:49am On Jul 12, 2008
I have similar xperience when i was using honda hala last year -
All you need do is to be sure U are consistent in the type of oil u are using and the oil is ORIGINAL- buy it at the filling station yourself. Infact buy your oil filter,engine oil youself and be sure you stand by your car when d mechanic is changing the oil and the filter. Very important ooo.
Buy original oil filter not paper sealed one.

Finally urgently service your engine again to avoid the engine knock.

1 Like

Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Ivvie: 7:41am On Jul 12, 2008
`
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by promise72(m): 6:56am On Jul 13, 2008
@ Poster,

I wonder why people decide to go into waaaaayyyyy too much technical mumbo jumbo for very simple issue. If you care about your car, the rule of thumb is simple.

THINNER OIL FOR NEW CARS (OR LOW MILEAGE). THICKER OIL FOR OLDER CARS (OR HIGH MILEAGE).

Hence, if you have somewhat like a 2007 car you will use something like a 5-30 weight oil. Move on to 10-40, then 20-50 as you rack up more miles etc.

The biggest problem you can run into as mentioned by other poster is getting a fake oil. Then all bets are off. So if you make a mistake of using lets say a 20-50 oil for a new car you don't have to worry too much.

However a fake oil will ruin your engine no matter what. or a fake oil filter. Some mechanic may not know how to spot the fake oil. so  BUY YOUR OIL AND FILTER YOURSELF !!! from a reputable station.  You can let the mechanic change it at your house if possible. If something goes wrong its coming out of your pocket!!!

Unfortunately, the Nigerian culture permits all kinds of things unimaginable. Fake petrol, Fake "pure water", Fake Palm oil, Fake Honey etc.

It kind of beats me why people cannot sell the goos stuff which will give them repeat customers and keep them in business much longer. The customer is already paying full price anyway.

And who says 20-50 oil is just for trucks? undecided Wonders shall never end

2 Likes

Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Ivvie: 5:02am On Jul 14, 2008
`
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by icemann(m): 5:36pm On Jul 16, 2008
nice thread
i think ivvie is making sense
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Midas02(m): 9:31pm On Jul 16, 2008
oh boy, this thing is not as complex as some will have you believe. You do not need a degree in mechatronics and electromechanical engineering, nor do you need an Einstein to propound the theory of kinematic velocity and all kinds of useless gibberish!.

It is tooo much work to write, I am feeling lazy, however my advice:
Listen to Sultaan, listen to Siena, listen to Promise72 and the guys who concur with them and you will be fine.
Most new cars and cars after 2000 use the thinner grade of oil which is 5W-30 or 0W-40 (depending on recommendation)
However cars before this mainly used 10W-30 (recommended)
When the car gets to be over 100K - 120k miles you may move to 10W-40
If your car is really advanced in use and age and has started to exhibit signs of wear/loss of compression/smoke, then you should use 20W/50 to reduce its inevitable decline in performance and blow-by.
The most important thing is to change your oil regularly (every 3 months or use mileage) and make sure you change your oil filter too, otherwise the purpose is defeated!

I believe either the mechanics messed your engine up by forgetting to do something vital or they used adulterated oil and not the original. Cos even if you use oil that is not recommended, it shouldn't mess your engine up (especially over such a short term), it usually only affects the performance, response and long term durability of an engine. As long as your engine has some oil lubrication (whether recommended or not) it should not knock. Period!
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by initiate: 8:48pm On Jul 17, 2008
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by FACE(m): 11:55am On Jul 26, 2008
The most important thing is to change your oil regularly (every 3 months or use mileage) and make sure you change your oil filter too, otherwise the purpose is defeated!

@ Midas 02.

Try once a year or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. That's the instruction on my car manual and that is what the garages say as well following each service.

My car even tells you when service is due based on those two criteria and will also let you know whether it is the "A" service or "B" service that you need. The manual also spells out the meaning of A and B services.

As written by others, oil specs are written in the user manuals and should be followed. However, people need to be wary of adultrated products.

@ poster, someone suggested that you service your car again to avoid wahala. I will agree with that person, but make sure you buy the oil and filter you witness the service if possible.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by TheMaster: 10:35pm On Jul 26, 2008
Ivie

is 0W 40 fine for a new Toyota 2.4 engine or should another oil change be done immediately to 0W 20?

Cheers

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet The 1,000 HP Mercedes Hypercar. / Alex Ephraims & His Locally Made Combatant Vehicle Spotted In Imo / It Will Cost You ₦7.3m To Rent Bugatti Veyron For A Day,Price Of Honda Civic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.