Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,484 members, 7,812,507 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

My Journey To A Healthy Hair - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / My Journey To A Healthy Hair (2206 Views)

How To Grow A Long And Healthy Hair Fast / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey / 10 Tips To Keep A Healthy Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Journey To A Healthy Hair by caramel13: 9:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
INTRO TO MY NATURAL HAIR JOURNEY
This is a story about me and my hair revamp journey. It all began on one faithful day in my second year in the University when I was chilling in my cosy crib during the weekend, looking through some old photos in my photo album (the usual student heap of pictures, winks), admiring myself back in the days when I was still a fresher. Suddenly, my eyes hit one of the pictures in which I was rocking my natural hair with its strands glistening under the hot Port-Harcourt sun (Nigeria).
I smiled and said within me “Ahh na me get this kind hair, I too much”. Unconsciously, my fingers inched closer towards my head, moving through a once luscious mane of hair but which had now lost its glory to become ashen-looking,straw-like and lifeless. Immediately, that former pleasant feeling was bulldozed aside by a depressing thought “I get am before, nor be property”.
I started panicking, blaming myself for the frequent visits to amateur hair stylists (snipers), for the times when I should have sounded the alarm while trying to achieve the latest styles, but instead sat back , enduring the application of the turtuous heat emenating from stretchers, curling rods and dryers, enduring neat tight (hair loss trigger) braids which only days after will be followed by boils erupting at my hair line.
That rock bottom feeling persisted until a day when I remembered a bible passage “ Behold old things have passed away, and all things have become new”. I jumped up, dusted myself (mentally) and started following hair blogs. I started seeing things in the light (I had to get some shades because it was blinding, lol) and began loving my hair all over again. Mehnn, I started getting appreciative stares from both guys and chics because I stood out with my natural healthy hair, unlike some ladies drowning in a sea of Brazilian and Peruvian waves gotten from a total stranger ( maybe a rottening corpse).
I began to realize the insanity of how so many ladies have sleepless nights just to gather money to purchase these fake hair; whereas, the living tresses beneath these hairs suffocates in heat, pleading silently to be loved. It is also absurd, how these hairs are judiciously maintained with love. They are oiled romantically, combed gently, weaved cutely, and even bagged with sheer pride and admiration in nice mini bags when not in use (what a hair affair but never done on the natural hair).
The height of the absurdity are the orders given to madam hair stylist when in salons fixing their (fake)hairs. Madam use special oil for my hair, madam don’t use heat on my hair, madam brush the tangles gently and with care (hope u noticed “my hair” ringing from all corners).
Ladies please love your hair and it’ll love you back. Guys are even better, they don’t even run helter skelter looking for wigs to cover up their hair issues,instead they seek for help to rejuvenate their own natural hair or better still style it bald.
NEXT EPISODE: WAYS I GOT STARTED ON THE HAIR REVAMP ROAD
Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by dynamicbuzz(f): 12:50am On Nov 01, 2013
Nice one, maybe u should show pictures of what your hair looks like now and what it looked like then, also processes you took that got you good results.
Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by caramel13: 7:33am On Nov 01, 2013
dynamicbuzz Nice one, maybe u should show pictures of what your hair looks like now and what it looked like then, also processes you took that got you good results.

Tanks @ dynamic buzz. I'll put some pictures later in the day and for the processes, I am working on that too,that'll be the next episode
Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by fumz081: 1:48pm On Nov 01, 2013
really cool...abt doin doin d same too...pages lik fs do encourage me...tnx
Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by demelza: 2:50pm On Nov 01, 2013
I am liking this.
*following*
Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by mspee(f): 3:36pm On Nov 01, 2013
Me likey! kiss

**following, with my bags**
Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by caramel13: 5:27pm On Nov 01, 2013
D first is the freshers hair, the second is the straw-like hair ,third is the revamped hair
Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by caramel13: 7:28am On Nov 02, 2013
Freshers pix

Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by caramel13: 7:31am On Nov 02, 2013
Straw-like hair pix

Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by caramel13: 7:57am On Nov 02, 2013
Revamped hair

Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by caramel13: 8:48pm On Nov 04, 2013
WAYS I GOT STARTED ON THE HAIR REVAMP ROAD
After I arming myself with the necessary information from hair blogs and praying to God almighty for strength and success, my hair journey commenced proper. I began in August by texlaxing (applying relaxer to the roots for a few minutes)my new hair roots to stretch my hair in order to properly trim the old and weak relaxed tips. I have managed to stretch my texlaxing till date with these tips and routine below:
-HAIR WASHING- I normally wash my hair weekly and begin by spritzing my bamboo tea concoction on my hair, then I detangle to remove shed hairs, pre-poo overnight or for two hours (prefer overnight because of my hair’s low porousity nature) with my hair trigger concoction on my scalp and my coconut oil and peppermint oil down my hair length, then I wash my hair with grinded paracetamol(to eliminate dandruff) mixed in Crème of Nature Shampoo (Sulphate-free shampoo), after that I condition my hair with a moisturizing/hydrating conditioner ( I don’t use the volumizing ones because its best for whites and people with limp flat hair), rinse it off then do my bamboo/rosemary/green tea rinse, then I deep condition for 30mins with my caramel mixture (moisturizing conditioner)or organics hair mayonnaise(protein conditioner) depending on what my hair needs at that moment, finally, I rinse off and apply my gentle touch leave-in , a little serum and coconut oil, detangle hair with fingers and style.
-I co-wash once a week also, then deep-condition, apply my leave-ins, then style.
-I always go out with my head covered with a scarf or umbrella to avoid its exposure to direct sun-rays. This has adverse effects on the hair like bleaching (browning), drying of hair cuticles, and scalp burning.
-I use serum because it is very necessary as it acts as a sunscreen for my hair in order to prevent heat related damage.
-I use a wide-toothed comb only on hair wash days and comb from tip to root and never from root to tip, then I finger detangle on other days.
-I trim my hair myself, once in two months.
I sleep with a satin scarf tied on my hair.
I stretch my hair using local thread or by wet bunning (using multiple tiny ruffles) down my hair length. It is a better alternative to using hair stretchers.
I bought a hair length check shirt (contact me if you need), which I use monthly to monitor my hair growth progress.
P.S ! For any answers to your questions, you can send me a personal message.
Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by caramel13: 9:03pm On Nov 04, 2013
My saturday wash day result. Hair felt soft and slick

Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 04, 2013
Plz wats 'wet bunning'?
Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by caramel13: 10:27pm On Nov 04, 2013
You remember those tiny colourful baby hair packers? U can use so many to pack u hair, down to the tip. You use one leave a little space,use another,keep going till you get to the tip. Prevents ur wet hair from coiling back
Re: My Journey To A Healthy Hair by daybydaywebsite(f): 12:47pm On Sep 19, 2018
Top 30 Best and Worst Foods for Healthy Hair

Now, we rid on this discussion of the day on Healthy Hair Production,

https://www.daybyday.website/top-30-best-and-worst-foods-for-healthy-hair-production/

Instead of using processed products, nourish your hair from the inside out by eating these healthy foods. There are some major factors that influence your hair—genetics, age, hormones, nutrient deficiencies, and more—but what you eat is one of the few things you can do to control your hair’s behavior.

https://www.daybyday.website/top-30-best-and-worst-foods-for-healthy-hair-production/

After all, if you are predisposed to thin, so-so hair, you wouldn’t want to make it worse by consuming the wrong foods, would you? And even if you belong in a hair commercial, you’d like to protect that look, right?By eating nutrient-rich foods that are scientifically proven to help your hair—and avoiding those that only do harm—you can influence your hair’s thickness, its growth or shedding, how shiny it is, and even its likelihood of greying.

Compare the list below with what you usually have in your pantry, and then find out the Hormones That Shut Off Your Hunger!⇐⇑⇒

First, The Best Foods for Healthy Hair 1. Almond Butter

Almond butter contains a wide variety of nutrients—including protein, healthy fats, and certain vitamins—that have all been linked to hair health. It’s the vitamin E content in the nuts that researchers say is particularly good for keeping your locks thick and lustrous. One eight-month trial found men who supplemented daily with vitamin E saw an increase in hair growth by as much as 42 percent. Just a tablespoon of almonds provides nearly two-thirds of your RDA for fat-soluble vitamin E.

2. Tangerines

The benefits of tangerines⇔ affect your hair in two big ways: 1.) Its vitamin C content makes it easier for your body to absorb iron, such as from spinach; 2.) The vitamin B12 in tangerines promotes hair growth, reduces hair loss, and slows down the graying process.

3. Amla Berries

Also known as Indian gooseberry, amla is a sour fruit native to India. High in antioxidants, it is prescribed by Ayurvedic doctors for glowing skin and hair. It’s easiest to purchase frozen amla berries online.

4. Spinach

In some cases (particularly in women), a mineral deficiency is the cause of hair loss. “It’s important to make sure you don’t have a lack of something in your diet that could be leading to hair loss,” says dermatologist Dr. Carolyn Jacob ⇐⇑⇒. “We check protein levels, iron, iron storage, vitamin D and a number of other labs to make sure you don’t have deficiencies.” Spinach is iron rich and it contains sebum, which acts as a natural conditioner for hair. The leafy green also provides omega-3 acids, magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron. All help keep hair lustrous, shiny and, most importantly, out of the drain. Spinach is only one of the 8 Superfoods You Should Eat Every Day!⇐⇑⇒

5. Greek Yogurt ....

Read More >>> https://www.daybyday.website/top-30-best-and-worst-foods-for-healthy-hair-production/

(1) (Reply)

Don't Laugh Alone: What Is Going On In This Picture? / Ankara Styles For The Fashion Babes / Electronic Spa Facial Polishing/exfoliating Brush On Sale!at N2500!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.