Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,497 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? (22962 Views)

Career Women Battle Housemaids’ Sexcapades, Randy Husbands / Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools More Dangerous Than You Can Imagine. / Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by birdman(m): 2:46am On Nov 09, 2013
soul_glo:
These are all definitions of slavery. Where did you get yours? It is obvious that your mindset is that it is only slavery when a white person does it to a black person. Just for the record there were also white slaves

Did you read the definitions you pasted? Apparently not. So that you cant hide in the paragraphs you posted trying to divert from the issue (I can see you trying to pick the senteces that suit you, eg she was no slave to fashion tongue), here are some concrete examples for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_United_States

Again, please tell me how you managed to deduce that a Nigerian househelp is also in slavery. Please dont beat about the bush cutting and pasting two page definitions that you will debate for another day. Show me, clearly, please, how the two are equal. Or even close to equal.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by soulglo: 3:11am On Nov 09, 2013
I gave you multiple definitions of slavery. Pick one. Those are both from Merriam Webster and Oxford. Instead you post links from Wikipedia. Yes. Wikipedia. Would you use Wikipedia in a dissertation? You know damn well you can't. Can you use the definition of anything taken out of The Oxford or Merriam Webster dictionaries. YES. So yes a slave as far as the English language is concerned can be defined as

a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.
a person who works very hard without proper remuneration or appreciation

You are only willing to accept the first part as slavery but the other definition we should throw out and instead read from Wikipedia about the transatlantic slave trade. I have high lighted the definition you should be looking at. Just in case you purposely want to ignore it again. I feel silly highlighting it because I know you saw it the first time. I am still still not sure why you are posting links to the Atlantic slave trade, Arab slave trader and slavery in the United States. Why? That makes no sense
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by birdman(m): 4:22am On Nov 09, 2013
soul_glo: I gave you multiple definitions of slavery. Pick one. Those are both from Merriam Webster and Oxford. Instead you post links from Wikipedia. Yes. Wikipedia. Would you use Wikipedia in a dissertation? You know damn well you can't. Can you use the definition of anything taken out of The Oxford or Merriam Webster dictionaries. YES. So yes a slave as far as the English language is concerned can be defined as

a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.
a person who works very hard without proper remuneration or appreciation

You are only willing to accept the first part as slavery but the other definition we should throw out and instead read from Wikipedia about the transatlantic slave trade. I have high lighted the definition you should be looking at. Just in case you purposely want to ignore it again. I feel silly highlighting it because I know you saw it the first time. I am still still not sure why you are posting links to the Atlantic slave trade, Arab slave trader and slavery in the United States. Why? That makes no sense

Dude you are full of it. And you know it. So if I work really hard and am not "properly" appreciated by my boss, that is slavery? Are you really that dense? Arent you ashamed, quoting the purveyors of the biggest slave industry the world has ever seen? It is in their interest to water down the term, make it look not as bad. I don't see how any self respecting African can allow himself be bamboozled like this.

Again, I gave you concrete examples for a reason. Please, for the love of God, show me how you managed to equate househelps to slavery. Quit dodging the issue..,.next thing I know you will be pulling out Strong's concordance angry

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by elektra(f): 5:31pm On Nov 09, 2013
My mum was one of four househelps in one of her relative's house. She started after primary school. They were the first to wake up and the last to sleep. They worked their asses off in that house and the madam was very strict.

But they were all sent to school, up till university level.

Today my mother is the only one of her 5 siblings with a job, all the others live in the village doing nothing but consume alcohol. She is single handedly responsible for her siblings and their children

My mother is always grateful for the 'Opportunity' she had to be someone else's housegirl because she knows that her story would have been different if she had stayed with her parents.

We also had two helps growing up, they were sent to school and today have jobs and are on their own.

See, many of you shouting 'child slavery' do not know the kind of house these househelps come from. If at least they are being sent to school they are working towards a better future

4 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by soulglo: 6:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
birdman:

Dude you are full of it. And you know it. So if I work really hard and am not "properly" appreciated by my boss, that is slavery? Are you really that dense? Arent you ashamed, quoting the purveyors of the biggest slave industry the world has ever seen? It is in their interest to water down the term, make it look not as bad. I don't see how any self respecting African can allow himself be bamboozled like this.

Again, I gave you concrete examples for a reason. Please, for the love of God, show me how you managed to equate househelps to slavery. Quit dodging the issue..,.next thing I know you will be pulling out Strong's concordance angry

Mr "white man had done me wrong". Get over it. It is Africans that sold other Africans into slavery. You're telling me to be ashamed of quoting the dictionary because it is written by English speaking people? You have the nerve to call anybody dense after saying something like that. You have issues. You just pulled a definition out of you 4rse. You made it up and want to force it down my throat. You're ridiculous. Typical mentality of the "I am victim" black person. You are accusing white people of slavery yet you are condoning on your own land something they have made a criminal offense in their land. Who is the idiot now.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by MrAboki: 8:35am On Nov 13, 2013
elektra: My mum was one of four househelps in one of her relative's house. She started after primary school. They were the first to wake up and the last to sleep. They worked their asses off in that house and the madam was very strict.

But they were all sent to school, up till university level.

Today my mother is the only one of her 5 siblings with a job, all the others live in the village doing nothing but consume alcohol. She is single handedly responsible for her siblings and their children

My mother is always grateful for the 'Opportunity' she had to be someone else's housegirl because she knows that her story would have been different if she had stayed with her parents.

We also had two helps growing up, they were sent to school and today have jobs and are on their own.

See, many of you shouting 'child slavery' do not know the kind of house these househelps come from. If at least they are being sent to school they are working towards a better future

Cool Story..

Just because your mother was lucky to have had apositive experience out of 'CHILD SLAVERY', does not mean that everybody is as lucky as her.

One of our househelps is today a Landlady in Port-harcourt with tenants. Good abi?

But what percentage of househelps end up having a happily ever after story?!
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by fidatt(f): 12:01pm On Nov 13, 2013
A housemaid in a house is not bad but pls take care of her like you own child.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by birdman(m): 6:37am On Nov 14, 2013
Mr Aboki:

Cool Story..

Just because your mother was lucky to have had apositive experience out of 'CHILD SLAVERY', does not mean that everybody is as lucky as her.

One of our househelps is today a Landlady in Port-harcourt with tenants. Good abi?

But what percentage of househelps end up having a happily ever after story?!

Why dont you supply us the percentages you know of, since you are so sure that majority of these stories end badly. Or are just pulling assumptions out of thin air and presenting them as fact.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by somegirl1: 4:01pm On Nov 19, 2013
As long as people continue to irresponsibly birth more children than they can take care of, there will always be the issue of child labour.
I personally see nothing wrong with fostering someone else's child in order to provide the child with a standard of living their parents aren't able to provide them with. I also see nothing wrong with designating age appropriate tasks to a child I choose to foster, tasks I'm able to designate to my own children.
I won't ask my 12 yr old to cook, take care of a baby, go shopping, clean the entire house, bathe another child, do laundry (even theirs) etc....so I wouldn't expect another person's 12 yr old to those.
I would however, expect my 16yr old to ASSIST with preparing meals, watch a baby for a short period, do some light cleaning, go to the shops, begin to do their own laundry...etc so I would have no issues designating such tasks to someone around that age.

Whether or not they are sent to school, it's unfair to give them more chores than you'd have your own children do.
If you need a house keeper or nanny, employ an adult!

What breaks my heart is seeing people sending their house helps to hawk on the streets. They could do that from their parents' homes if their parents wanted that for them.

One needs to remember that it is hard on these helps to have been forced to leave their parents' homes to live with, in most cases, an absolute stranger. If we put ourselves in their shoes, we'd be more sympathetic or at least empathetic to their plight.

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by specialguest(f): 4:04pm On Nov 24, 2013
some-girl:
As long as people continue to irresponsibly birth more children than they can take care of, there will always be the issue of child labour.
I personally see nothing wrong with fostering someone else's child in order to provide the child with a standard of living their parents aren't able to provide them with. I also see nothing wrong with designating age appropriate tasks to a child I choose to foster, tasks I'm able to designate to my own children.
I won't ask my 12 yr old to cook, take care of a baby, go shopping, clean the entire house, bathe another child, do laundry (even theirs) etc....so I wouldn't expect another person's 12 yr old to those.
I would however, expect my 16yr old to ASSIST with preparing meals, watch a baby for a short period, do some light cleaning, go to the shops, begin to do their own laundry...etc so I would have no issues designating such tasks to someone around that age.

Whether or not they are sent to school, it's unfair to give them more chores than you'd have your own children do.
If you need a house keeper or nanny, employ an adult!

What breaks my heart is seeing people sending their house helps to hawk on the streets. They could do that from their parents' homes if their parents wanted that for them.

One needs to remember that it is hard on these helps to have been forced to leave their parents' homes to live with, in most cases, an absolute stranger. If we put ourselves in their shoes, we'd be more sympathetic or at least empathetic to their plight.

God bless you some girl. It couldn't have been said any better.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Shinatu: 5:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
I wonder how much 'help' people get from these underaged house helps, Once you are deemed comfortable in this country, many peoople especially those who are close enough to know how decent you are will,want to force one girl or the other on you and like all that has been said on this thread, in a minor/madam case the madam is always the evil witch so why bother? one is free to punish one's child in public in Nigeria and no one raises an eyebrow, once it is a house girl, you see people trying to explain what was done wrong, why do you want to go though that?

I have always insisted on grown ups (above 18) that can collect the money they work with themselves, most of them end up wasting the money no matter how much I try but na dem sabi.

A girl was sent to me and I sent her back in 2 weeks despite having paid a substantial amont of money as school fees, books etc in a private school), she was younger than they claimed, all the documents she came with had different DOBs, I was told the father died and she could not be regular in school, so i thought let me see what I can do.

The girls had an attitude, she felt any instruction I gave was just for talk and not for her to follow, how will I handle that without being called a witch and not grow old before my time?

I have a 27year old housekeeper who comes daily, (and understands that he who must eat must work, a child does not understand that and is not expected to at that age) ) except on Sundays, so the girl had far far more to gain from being in my house than whatever little little chores that might have come her way.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 9:52am On Jan 10, 2014
Yesterday, I spoke to Mary, the housemaid of a landlady in Lagos. She also takes care of the 2 year old adopted baby girl of the woman.
I told her that she must not forget to go to school and she nodded in agreement.
I cannot force her employer to send her to school, but telling Mary that she must go to school is enough message of hope for her.

Join the Youth Education Crisis Committee Google Hangout this January 15 to learn more about how to create @aworldatschool for #childrenofsyria: http:///KFCYeN
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 10:26am On Jan 10, 2014
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 7:37pm On Jun 27, 2014
Controversial Nollywood actress Tonto Dikeh is one of the good guardians sending their housemaids to school and her maid made good grades.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by ireneidiva(f): 1:39am On Jun 28, 2014
[quote author=Orikinla]Controversial Nollywood actress Tonto Dikeh is one of the good guardians sending their housemaids to school and her maid made good grades.
[/quote
Allow this thread to rest in peace!
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by troy20(m): 3:27pm On Jun 28, 2014
[quote author=ireneidiva][/quote]
you want it to rest in peace.well slave masters like you wont have peace.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by ireneidiva(f): 5:13pm On Jun 28, 2014
troy20:
you want it to rest in peace.well slave masters like you wont have peace.
Slave master? Hmmm. Who did you say you were again?
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by STENON(f): 9:11pm On Jun 28, 2014
Why Wont I?? If I shld have any Housemaid, I will treat them Equally as My Chidren..... Snc they are also human beings, they deserves better treatmnt frm me.

And Btw...... I dislike Maltreatment
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 12:09pm On Dec 06, 2014
Majority of the elites in Nigeria don't want all girls to go to school.

If we must rescue the millions of girls out of school in Nigeria, we have to stop the child labor of domestic staff of housemaids and nannies and help their poor parents to send them to school and it must start by giving them compulsory free education from the primary to secondary school levels and provide scholarships for their college education to the university to guaranty the end to their poverty and save them from slavery at the mercy of the elites of their Nigerian ruling class.

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by SapphirePRINCEX(f): 1:40pm On Apr 15, 2023
MAYSAMUEL:
Yes, i do have a sister (cos i hate referring to her as a maid) that lives with me and i send her to school. She was brought to me in 2011, feb to be precise and she had stopped schooling for more than a year bf then cos of fee, she passes her pry schl leaving exam and u will know from the way she behaves that she wants to be educated. i paid my way( cos it's already 2nd term) to enrolled her in a govt schl close to the house, i tried my best to be nice to her cos she is most of the time alone with my 2kids, do u know what i got in return, a fed govt employment in the month of june, without applying, no test, no interview, just a call to come pick up my employment letter, after more than 10yrs of graduation. the following year we moved to our own house, we are now landlord. She maybe the reason for all the goods things am enjoying and maybe she is not, but 1 thing i know is that ever since she came into my house, everything has change for the better, I want to encourage us all to be nice, not only to people who God has place in our care but to everybody, you may not know when you will entertain the angel that will bring your good tidings.
I tap into this grace.. Amen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Cogent Qualities To Instill In Your Little Children / Maurice Sam Biography: Wife, Parents, Father, Mother / Missing Younger Brother - Kelechi Victor Agomuo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.