Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,154 members, 7,815,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih (48999 Views)

Funke Akindele And Ini Edo Battle It Out In New Selfies / Picture Of Funke Akindele And Her Fiance -alhaji Kehinde Oloyede Almaroof / Funke Akindele And Femi Adebayo’s Traditional Wedding: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by favouryemmy: 5:29pm On Nov 01, 2013
The entertainment industry is dulling our inteligence
The Nigerian entertainment industry, as well as the Nigerian government and society, is greatly contributing to the falling standard of education in Nigeria.
Children, just like adults, over the years, believe in the printed and electronic media and they copy, or hold so dear, whatever they see or hear on TV and read in newspapers.
Before now, entertainers like Zebrudaya Okeke alias 4:30,
Jaguar, etc enlivened the industry and provoked laughter, while infesting the learning environment with wrong grammatical expressions, sounds and idioms.
For example, “More grease to your elbow” is a bastardised version of “More power to your elbow”; “Cut your coat according to your size” instead of “Cut your coat according to your cloth”; “Action speak louder than voice” instead of “Actions speak louder than words”; “The devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know” instead of “Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t”; and “Half bread is better than none” instead of “Half a loaf is better than no bread.”
These are a few examples of English expressions that have been bastardised as a result of our contact with the
entertainment industry.
From the music industry, entertainers such as Olamide,
Whizkid have changed the mindset of many young Nigerians, infusing slangs – which students remember quicker than a teacher’s teaching or formals – into their songs. Such spirit kills the quality of teaching and learning.
The worst of these people in this century is Funke Akindele. She rose to stardom by her clownish behaviour and expressions. Such expressions and utterances are, in fact, killing the quality of education in Nigeria. In her movie, The Hero, Funke’s grammar was so bad that it made watching the movie very tiresome for the learned and highly lettered ones.
No one in their sane mind would sit and watch Funke’s recent movies and feel that they are watching a good movie – except if they are of the same background as Funke.
She says: “Who is you?” instead of Who are you?; “I am
deading” rather than I am dying; “This womens” – These
women; “Let me told you” – Let me tell you; “Foice” – Voice; “Shindren” – Children; “Sow” – Show, etc.
Such comic but deadly statements are condemnable.
Such laughter provoking but academically killing grammar should be extirpated completely if Funke must make sense to million of people like me. Funke can still make her millions while speaking normal. This melodramatic and bastardised grammar is only killing our youth who watch a lot of home videos. It does not build them. And woe is he who pleases
himself while giving a painless death to other people.
Every lover of success for tomorrow’s leaders should stand up and speak against the grammar abuse by our entertainers.
Although one may not blame them completely, for they are speaking to the best of their knowledge, it is expedient for them to know that a million people rely on their spoken grammar.
Entertainers such as Genevieve Nnaji, Pete Edochie and Ini Edo, made a name for themselves without abusing the rules of grammar usage.
Such grammar abuse, in my view, is a naked sign of half
education.

Daniel Odih writes from Lokoja, Kogi State.

premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/147662-funke-akindele-bastardisation-english-language-daniel-odih.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=funke-akindele-bastardisation-english-language-daniel-odih

71 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
Nice write-up op...even wizkid "20 man shall fall that day if u cross my lane"

6 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 01, 2013
Well there is a standard British English,as well as there is Nigerian English which in my opinion is also a variety of languages(interferences from our mother tongue plays a major role in this case) Even the Standard English has so many borrowed words from other languages...A language that has undergone a lot of transformation both in pronunciations and spellings...
"Get the hell out of here fast fast"is my Nigerian English and Ofcourse the recipient of the message wud"leave the place sharp sharp" cool

30 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by olatomiwa(f): 5:50pm On Nov 01, 2013
mess off joo. That was just comedy and she did not rise to stardom with that. If you must know, she started with a very educative unicef sponsored program - I need to know. So just shut your holier than thou trap

280 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by nerodenero: 6:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
“Foice” – Voice; “Shindren” – Children; “Sow” – Show
You can't rule out the mother-tongue effect as it comes out unconsciously. It is something that is very difficult to control. Having said that, I think it is a nice write-up and very educative too.

2 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by segunjowo(m): 6:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
Funke is out there to entertain according to her script. And why can't you write to her directly expressing your opinion?
Telling us Funke is half educated is not a na'k'ed truth my brother. We know better than you that she's got a first degree.
I don't know her personally and I am not her friend or a fan or anything. I am just letting you know she's acting out a script to make her money...while you rant about poor grammar.
Dey there..lol

91 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Chybeno(f): 6:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
dats jst a movie

4 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by free2ryhme: 6:54pm On Nov 01, 2013
This is a good indication our home video never positively adds to your IQ ..

15 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
I found it funny the first time she did it in a movie. But subsequent times?? ..it started getting sort of stale, tho i still like her acting in general. But seriously tho, this daniel odih is a chronic bad belle and a hater, he should understand its just a movie, a comic one at that for pete's sake! and its only a dunce and a dullard dat cannot be able to differentiate btw these actings and reality. Infact such a person cannot get better even if he's made to watch CNN or BBC all his life. Oh yes of course, many of us make use of slangs heard from the entertainment industry, but a SENSIBLE person knows not to use it in a formal setting, e.g a job interview. If he, Daniel odih-mr ITK, is having problem speaking these informal slangs at the wrong time, then he should go check himself. So whats his beef all about?? Make im park well abeg.

43 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by IleIfe2(m): 6:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
If you want to learn English, speak to your English teacher. As for producers, look for eloquent script writers and the problem is solved. If not , it will be a continued Omaletisation of Daniel Diboh's beloved english language. grin grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
favouryemmy: The entertainment industry is dulling our inteligence
The Nigerian entertainment industry, as well as the Nigerian government and society, is greatly contributing to the falling standard of education in Nigeria.
Children, just like adults, over the years, believe in the printed and electronic media and they copy, or hold so dear, whatever they see or hear on TV and read in newspapers.
Before now, entertainers like Zebrudaya Okeke alias 4:30,
Jaguar, etc enlivened the industry and provoked laughter, while infesting the learning environment with wrong grammatical expressions, sounds and idioms.
For example, “More grease to your elbow” is a bastardised version of “More power to your elbow”; “Cut your coat according to your size” instead of “Cut your coat according to your cloth”; “Action speak louder than voice” instead of “Actions speak louder than words”; “The devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know” instead of “Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t”; and “Half bread is better than none” instead of “Half a loaf is better than no bread.”
These are a few examples of English expressions that have been bastardised as a result of our contact with the
entertainment industry.
From the music industry, entertainers such as Olamide,
Whizkid have changed the mindset of many young Nigerians, infusing slangs – which students remember quicker than a teacher’s teaching or formals – into their songs. Such spirit kills the quality of teaching and learning.
The worst of these people in this century is Funke Akindele. She rose to stardom by her clownish behaviour and expressions. Such expressions and utterances are, in fact, killing the quality of education in Nigeria. In her movie, The Hero, Funke’s grammar was so bad that it made watching the movie very tiresome for the learned and highly lettered ones.
No one in their sane mind would sit and watch Funke’s recent movies and feel that they are watching a good movie – except if they are of the same background as Funke.
She says: “Who is you?” instead of Who are you?; “I am
deading” rather than I am dying; “This womens” – These
women; “Let me told you” – Let me tell you; “Foice” – Voice; “Shindren” – Children; “Sow” – Show, etc.
Such comic but deadly statements are condemnable.
Such laughter provoking but academically killing grammar should be extirpated completely if Funke must make sense to million of people like me. Funke can still make her millions while speaking normal. This melodramatic and bastardised grammar is only killing our youth who watch a lot of home videos. It does not build them. And woe is he who pleases
himself while giving a painless death to other people.
Every lover of success for tomorrow’s leaders should stand up and speak against the grammar abuse by our entertainers.
Although one may not blame them completely, for they are speaking to the best of their knowledge, it is expedient for them to know that a million people rely on their spoken grammar.
Entertainers such as Genevieve Nnaji, Pete Edochie and Ini Edo, made a name for themselves without abusing the rules of grammar usage.
Such grammar abuse, in my view, is a naked sign of half
education.

Daniel Odih writes from Lokoja, Kogi State.

premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/147662-funke-akindele-bastardisation-english-language-daniel-odih.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=funke-akindele-bastardisation-english-language-daniel-odih

Anyone else was too lazy to read t all?? undecided undecided undecided

19 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 01, 2013
Doesn't bother me neither does it have any noticeable effect on me. Its just for comic relief.

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by rhames(m): 6:58pm On Nov 01, 2013
free2ryhme: This is a good indication our home video never positively adds to your IQ ..

I wonder how some kids will pass English Language O levels by watching our local home video.

4 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by vicoloni(m): 6:58pm On Nov 01, 2013
NL is quite boring today

2 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Mayor21(m): 6:58pm On Nov 01, 2013
Na film na, u sef

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by ebamma(m): 6:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
Some nigerians sha
The claim that the are more moslem than the arabs
More catholic than the pope
Now sef dem don the claim more english than the english.

24 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by slimyem: 6:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
Daniel Odih left Princess out of it. She also rides on bastardizing english language.
I agree with him completely though but he can only talk. Nothing more!!
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by seedord247(m): 6:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
Yoruba nollywood is full of gbagauns....

Fathia balogun to her husband... Bye bye babes

Husband... See you honeys. grin

8 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
I have always shunned nollywood comedy for this reason. comedy doesn't have to be moronic for it to be funny. I won't let my kids watch such either .
olatomiwa: mess off joo. That was just comedy and she did not rise to stardom with that. If you must know, she started with a very educative unicef sponsored program - I need to know. So just shut your holier than thou trap
if you know the meaning of " rising to stardom", you would not have posted the above. The OP is expressing his opinion, stop being insultive.
@OP, I have always shunned nollywood comedy for this reason. comedy doesn't have to be moronic for it to be funny. I won't let my kids watch such either .

12 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by hardbody: 7:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
olatomiwa: mess off joo. That was just comedy and she did not rise to stardom with that. If you must know, she started with a very educative unicef sponsored program - I need to know. So just shut your holier than thou trap

Completely correct. I watched that her programme and i think that was what shot her into limelighht. Did some of us not grow up viewing those programmes (Zebrudaya, etc) with our parents? Have we started writing and speaking twisted grammar? This OP is simply stuupid and to think this made front page. I am so infuriated.

25 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by AKMoney1(m): 7:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
@op Are you a shildren? grin grin grin

25 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by IleIfe2(m): 7:01pm On Nov 01, 2013
seedord247: Yoruba nollywood is full of gbagauns....

grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 7:02pm On Nov 01, 2013
So it is Funke Akindele's english in movies that have bastardized english language in Nigeria? That won't stop me from watching her movies. Lubbish!! angry

22 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Aizebioje(m): 7:02pm On Nov 01, 2013
It's comedy, it's funny! Even some American movies have bad grammars in them! I love Funke and it's only an unserious person who'd speak funke's grammar in a formal occassion!

6 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by slimyem: 7:02pm On Nov 01, 2013
seedord247: Yoruba nollywood is full of gbagauns....

See who dey talk...undecided

Your own gbagauns on this platform sef na die!!

7 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by InvertedHammer: 7:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
/
There is a huge difference between English as used in verbal communication and the English you write for an official presentation.

If you hear English people or Americans talk, you will be amazed at their colloquial expressions.

So, don't be more English than the English.

Personally, I enjoy our version of broken English because when most Nigerians try to imitate oyibo in grammar and accent,
it feels like a punch to the gut....so awkward and embarrassing to say the least.

Shey you understand, abi?

//

4 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Justicemy: 7:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
@op this thread sucks !!!
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by drumma(m): 7:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
Dope-ernino:
Nice write-up op...even wizkid "20 man shall fall that day if u cross my lane"

Before u judge please look up what poetic license means on google#ITK#

2 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by peacelife(m): 7:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
.some pplez sense of humor don die o... oversabi de wory us too much... heh..smh

dos examples u gave clearly shws dat d movie must be a comedy movie jst 2 evoke laghta... without dt, d aim(makin pple laugh) of makin dat movie myt nt be achieved...

2 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 7:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
AK Money: @op Are you a shildren? grin grin grin
No, him is a mumudeen! grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 7:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
How's it half education? They felt their own concept will accrue fame and fortune for them and they've been successful in that department

Funke keeps breaking box office records and churning awards
Wizkid has gone international
Olamide's slangs are the voice of the street

How does that make them illiterates? They could fly you to Harvard and pay for your education for the next 10 years

Anybody that with half a brain will know how to speak good English without influence from these celebs

P.S: Is Patience Jonathan performing too? undecided

41 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by IleIfe2(m): 7:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
Op!! He Sa Sin. Are you.... ma jen tabon bi o.... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You'd have to love her.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lil Kesh And Young John Fell Twice While Performing On Stage / "Bring Out My Aguba", Lady Screams At OPM Church Over Nollywood Actor Aguba / Wizkid Wears Face Mask To Perform At The O2 Arena (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.