Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,457 members, 7,812,404 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 (9492 Views)

Please Assist: toyota camry i4(EFI,DOHC) LE,1999 model. / Do You Know How Dangerous The Car Exhaust Is To Your Health? / How Does Burst Silencer/exhaust Affect Fuel Consumption? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by universalbets(m): 6:49pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hi Sienna, Nisspart et All,
I urgently need help with a Toyota Sienna Le 1999 my old folks are using in the village. Black smoke presently coming out of the exhaust tail pipe. Consumes fuel like a Camel preparing for a desert trip. Couldnt fix it in Asaba, so drove it to lagos without the Air condition on.
Total fuel consumed was 210 approximate for 230Km. (the ABS light came on and speedometer stopped reading) it was killing.

I REALLY NEED HELP!! as my mechanic here, hasnt been of much help or has exhausted his knowledge base.

I just bought a little scanner because the check engine light is permanently on.

The scenario is as follows:

1. New plugs (All six were changed) installed.
2. Black smoke persists
3. High Fuel consumption
4. It stall and suddenly picks(Did not do this on the highway)
5. The RPM drops
6. If you try using the AC the RPM will plummet unless you rev the engine for a while
7. The speedometer stopped reading just before Agbor en-route Lagos till now
8. ABS light is now on permanently
9. Check Engine Light is on
10. Last mileage excluding current trip from Asaba to Lagos is about 187,300 miles?(Odometer suddenly stopped reading)
11. The following error codes from the little scanner i just got and need help with what to tell my Mechanic/Electrician on what to do:

IGNITION ON;
A - P0100 - Mass or Volume Air Flow"A" Circuit
B - P0110 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit
C - P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor "A"

IN MOTION;
D - P0171 - System too Lean Bank 1
E - Air-Fuel Sensor Circuit Range performance
F - Air-Fuel Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction

Noticed some hissing sound and slight rattle from my center port on arrival from the long trip. (Bumped some potholes driving into Lagos)

Kindly direct me on what to do

Thanks all in Advance.
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by chukel(m): 9:02am On Nov 02, 2013
universalbets: Hi Sienna, Nisspart et All,
I urgently need help with a Toyota Sienna Le 1999 my old folks are using in the village. Black smoke presently coming out of the exhaust tail pipe. Consumes fuel like a Camel preparing for a desert trip. Couldnt fix it in Asaba, so drove it to lagos without the Air condition on.
Total fuel consumed was 210 approximate for 230Km. (the ABS light came on and speedometer stopped reading) it was killing.

I REALLY NEED HELP!! as my mechanic here, hasnt been of much help or has exhausted his knowledge base.

I just bought a little scanner because the check engine light is permanently on.

The scenario is as follows:

1. New plugs (All six were changed) installed.
2. Black smoke persists
3. High Fuel consumption
4. It stall and suddenly picks(Did not do this on the highway)
5. The RPM drops
6. If you try using the AC the RPM will plummet unless you rev the engine for a while
7. The speedometer stopped reading just before Agbor en-route Lagos till now
8. ABS light is now on permanently
9. Check Engine Light is on
10. Last mileage excluding current trip from Asaba to Lagos is about 187,300 miles?(Odometer suddenly stopped reading)
11. The following error codes from the little scanner i just got and need help with what to tell my Mechanic/Electrician on what to do:

IGNITION ON;
A - P0100 - Mass or Volume Air Flow"A" Circuit
B - P0110 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit
C - P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor "A"

IN MOTION;
D - P0171 - System too Lean Bank 1
E - Air-Fuel Sensor Circuit Range performance
F - Air-Fuel Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction

Noticed some hissing sound and slight rattle from my center port on arrival from the long trip. (Bumped some potholes driving into Lagos)

Kindly direct me on what to do

Thanks all in Advance.

Am not perfect but D, E, F are caused by A and B. C is responsible for ur speedometer, odometer malfunction. Check ur mass airflow meter sensor for dirt and clean with ethanol. Check ur airflow meter filter and dust it or change it. Check for leakages in d vacuum system. Ikenna will be helpful in vacuum system. Check d electrical connectors. For P0500 code, d culprit sensor goes bad easily in toyotas nd is easy to replace but difficult to find in our market. P0500 will cause a mafunction in d speedo nd odometers nd can cause erratic nd rough transmission shifts.. Bro, u r on d right trac, having scanned the vehicle. Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by universalbets(m): 3:41pm On Nov 02, 2013
Ok. Thanks will wait for their inputs and compare notes. If all points to the Mass Airflow Meter, then i will get it straight away.
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by elektra80: 7:08pm On Nov 02, 2013
p0100 and p0110 have to do with ur maf or air flow meter. Clean or change it. Air fuel circuit sensor malfunction has to do with ur oxygen sensor just by the exhaust manifold. You didn't state the code though, if its p1150 then u probably need to change the o2 sensor and it should take care of p0171. If after changing p0171 doesn't clear then check ur injector nuzzle .
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by universalbets(m): 7:54pm On Nov 02, 2013
Thanks Electra. Scanned the car this evening and have the following new codes after installing my neighbors MAF in mine:

1. P1130

2. P1150

3. P0171

4. P1130

It is still emitting black smoke. Drove around for 5mins and the black smoke did not clear out. So its probably more than the Mass Air Flow or is 5mins test too small to get results?

Thanks for helping!
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by sultaan(m): 2:01am On Nov 03, 2013
just post several pics of the engine from different views and they will tell you exactly what to look for.

Remember if you look at your car and pics from online you might find things missing
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by elektra80: 2:42am On Nov 03, 2013
universalbets: Thanks Electra. Scanned the car this evening and have the following new codes after installing my neighbors MAF in mine:

1. P1130

2. P1150

3. P0171

4. P1130

It is still emitting black smoke. Drove around for 5mins and the black smoke did not clear out. So its probably more than the Mass Air Flow or is 5mins test too small to get results?

Thanks for helping!

like i said earlier, if u are getting p1150 then u need to check ur o2 sensor just by the exhaust manifold and that is probably what is causing the system too lean code. Also u need clear the codes when parts are replaced
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by aflag: 7:55pm On Nov 03, 2013
as for the thick blak smoke frm the exhaust i would suggest u change the 02 sensor. Experience dat last two mnths in my folks 2000 siena and after the replacement, the smoke was gone.
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by kawkab: 5:08am On Nov 05, 2013
check toyota sienna forums online to see likely answers
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by universalbets(m): 6:34am On Nov 05, 2013
Thanks Aflag and Kawkab for your responses. Will appreciate more ideas.

Update:
The MAF bought by the Mechanic from LADIPO market(Tokunbo) turned out worse than mine with grease in it. I thought the Mass Air Flow meter is supposed to be free of dirt and such?

New Codes came up yesterday:
P0300
P0302
P0303
P0304
P0305
P0306

All pointing to Cylinder Misfire. Pls what is the step by step way of resolving this?
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by universalbets(m): 7:48am On Nov 05, 2013
Aflag are you in Lagos? I am open to trying out another Mechanic. I think my has exhausted all he knows.
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by universalbets(m): 7:57am On Nov 05, 2013
Hello Aflag where you experiencing the same high fuel consumption in your Sienna 2000 prior to replacing your O2 sensor?

If it is the O2 sensor, maybe my MAF may still be Ok?

Where did you buy your O2 sensor. Can i have the sellers contact and your Mech guy if in Lagos area:

Mine is 08186362626

(It was shocking to find out that a supposed Auto-Engr?? who wanted to scan my car for N7K could not interpret his readings; It turns out from my observation he specializes in clearing the Check Engine Light in Tokunbo cars prior to sale. Buyers Beware)

1 Like

Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by oyinbogirl(f): 3:58pm On Nov 05, 2013
Black smoke indicates a rich air/fuel mixture. Have you checked oxygen senser located on the exhaust pipe? Problems with the MAF Sensor and Air Fuel Ratio Sensors can cause a drivability problem, and can cause the Check Engine Light to illuminate. On some vehicles the MAF Sensor can be cleaned, and will not need replacement.
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by universalbets(m): 9:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
@Onyinbogirl, I am yet to change the O2 sensors. I got to the auto shop today and was informed the existing fuel pump failed. This i had to replace after two units the parts seller brought did not perform optimally due to low pressure. The third one eventually did.

Tomorrow i am looking at replacing the sensors. I hope i will get the Denso brand and something if installed will work right away. Tired of the back and forth when it comes to getting the right parts.

Overall not much was achieved today coupled with the rainfall today.

Major lesson learned today is NEVER LET THE FUEL IN YOUR TANK GO BELOW 1/4 LEVEL if you can really help it. Once you lose the originally installed part you may never get the right replacement. The sellers dont care about the users. Its all Bonk!
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by oyinbogirl(f): 6:26am On Nov 06, 2013
universalbets: @Onyinbogirl, I am yet to change the O2 sensors. I got to the auto shop today and was informed the existing fuel pump failed. This i had to replace after two units the parts seller brought did not perform optimally due to low pressure. The third one eventually did.

Tomorrow i am looking at replacing the sensors. I hope i will get the Denso brand and something if installed will work right away. Tired of the back and forth when it comes to getting the right parts.

Overall not much was achieved today coupled with the rainfall today.

Major lesson learned today is NEVER LET THE FUEL IN YOUR TANK GO BELOW 1/4 LEVEL if you can really help it. Once you lose the originally installed part you may never get the right replacement. The sellers dont care about the users. Its all Bonk!

Oh poor you! What a headache cars can be! I Wish you luck & let us all know how you get on.... And yes your spot on about the fuel. Can also bring up dirt etc into the fuel lines & injectors sad
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by cardoctor(m): 7:31am On Nov 06, 2013
Black smoke from the exhaust is usually caused by excessive fuel being dumped into the cylinders prior to combustion. Several reasons may be the cause of this in addition to the fault code list that you pulled from the scan you did.

1. Oxygen sensors pre cat (Catalytic converter) and post cat are well connected and working properly. (The scan should reveal this)
2. Thermostat in engine is present and working properly.
3. Radiator cooling fan has not been wired to work continuously.
4. The Air Flow Meter is working properly. (The scan should reveal this)
5. The injector nozzles are working properly by checking the spray.
6. The correct spark plugs are the ones on the car and are working properly. (I have seen many Sienna cars with the 3 plugs on bank 1 different from the others on bank 2 on the V6 engine)
7. That the catalytic converter has not been removed or hollowed out.
8. Air filter is clean as a dirty filter would restrict air flow into the engine. (Air filters should also be changed at every service interval. I have had really filthy air filters removed from cars and mechanics have advised that they don't really need to be changed and the filter remains in the housing accumulating more dust and debris).

Try checking all of these and I'm sure that one may lead directly to the fault.

Best of luck.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by universalbets(m): 1:09pm On Nov 08, 2013
@Oyinbogirl; Thanks for the encouragement.

@Car-Doctor; Some of the points you raised are part of the scenario i have:

No.1 - After welding the leaks in the center port, most codes cleared. ( I hope to do a test drive on Friday. Currently i a wedged into the workshop by an 03 Infiniti raised on all fours pending when some parts arrive from Ladipo-Market for it) Will see if O2 codes will come up again.

No.2 - The thermostat is removed.( Two school of thought here)

a) Initially it was not removed but two different mechanics pointed out that my radiator was exceptionally hot. This was was only devised from mere touching the hoses. It wasn't convincing but i had to succumb since i was getting ready for frequent trips between Lagos and Asaba.

b) - Now its removed and it seems the radiator is cooler from touch but i notice it takes a while for the temp needle to rise in the mornings.

No.3 - Yes the radiator cooling fan is wired directly.(Bought it this way back in April 2013 - Nigeria Used, yet to get a relay. I thought it was odd then)

N0.4 The New Air flow meter is working better than mine. I will explain: When you unplug mine the engine still runs. The new one installed now when unplugged engine switches off. ( I still have two codes prior to my planned test drive)

a) P0100 - Mass or Volume Air flow 'A' Circuit. (Did not say more)
b) P0110 - Intake Air Temp Sensor 1 Circuit. ( I don't know what or where this refers to except if it is also the MAF)

No.5 - Yes the nozzles are spraying fine

No.6 - I replaced all six spark plugs with NGK single ground tip. ( Shocked to find that prior to now two of the rear plugs have never been replaced also could not find the specified twin ground platinum plugs though i and the mechanic saw a single ground platinum type by G-Power selling for N6k for a pack of six. I was told to use the NGK ones untill the recommended twin platinum type are again in stock).

No.7 - Yes this i noticed truly for the first time. The original catalyst has been removed. In its place their is a small center port and from further inspection the internals seem gone.

No. 8. We intend blowing/replacing the this today too.

I really appreciate your input. Many thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by universalbets(m): 8:46am On Nov 10, 2013
PLEASE ALL;
WHICH IS THE INSTRUMENT AIR SENSOR? My scanner still pulled a code P0500 which i believe refers to my Odometer not reading. This occurred on my way to the mechanic shop. Also driving into Lagos with the car about MFM my ABS light came on and has remained ON.

I am also having P0300 - Multiple cylinder misfire detected. How is this usually resolved?

The black smoke is there but cannot determine the Instrument Air temperature cable in my Mass Air Flow? Any help here will be appreciated.
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by universalbets(m): 2:51pm On Nov 12, 2013
Solved the P0500 code today. Had to Order a brand new MAF. I believe that will solve the last leg of the problem.
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by chukel(m): 4:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
how did u solve d p0500 issue
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by firebobo: 7:48am On Dec 16, 2013
Hi,
My Sienna is consuming lots of fuel and also given of black smoke. Can some please point me in the right direction as my mechanic isn't sure what to do. Below is the reading from my scanner. help me. Thanks....
ECU Fault Log
Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: Not present
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: 10804001
￿￿®￿

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0171: System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0141: O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
C33<grin: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
B2TAE: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
ROR: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P0003: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
U3F01: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P03<grin: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P0773: Shift Solenoid "E" Electrical
P1130: [Chrysler] HO2S Circuit Low Variance Bank 1 Sensor 1
[Ford] Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Adaptive Fuel Limit - Bank No. 1
[Toyota] Air/Fuel Sensor Circuit Range/Performance. (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
[Nissan] Swirl Control Valve Control Solenoid Valve
[Lexus] Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
[Mazda] HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1 Not Switching (Fuel Control Limit Reached)
[Dodge] HO2S Circuit Low Variance Bank 1 Sensor 1
[Jeep] HO2S Circuit Low Variance Bank 1 Sensor 1
[Seat/Audi/Volkswagen] Long Term Fuel Trim mult.,Bank2 System too Lean

P1135: [BMW] O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
[Chrysler] HO2S Lean Mean Bank 1 Sensor 1
[Ford] Ignition Switch Signal Missing or Improper
[Toyota] Air/Fuel Sensor Heater Circuit Response. (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
[Lexus] Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
[Mazda] HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1 Heater Circuit Low Input
[Dodge] HO2S Lean Mean Bank 1 Sensor 1
[Jeep] HO2S Lean Mean Bank 1 Sensor 1
[Seat/Audi/Volkswagen] O2 Sensor Heating Circ.,Ban
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by christianmarks: 11:40pm On Jul 10, 2015
Hello house My sienna was emitting black smoke from the exhaust so i took it for scanning. this were the results:

P0171: Generic system too lean back1

P0325: Knock sensor 1 circuit bank 1 or single sensor

P1130: Toyota air fuel sensor performance (bank1)

Please can some 1 interpret the meaning of this codes. and the check light is on. thanks
Re: Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 by nurey(m): 6:17am On Jul 11, 2015
christianmarks:
Hello house My sienna was emitting black smoke from the exhaust so i took it for scanning. this were the results:

P0171: Generic system too lean back1

P0325: Knock sensor 1 circuit bank 1 or single sensor

P1130: Toyota air fuel sensor performance (bank1)

Please can some 1 interpret the meaning of this codes. and the check light is on. thanks

start your thread fresh and people will help you out.

(1) (Reply)

What To Do When You Have A Tyre Blowout / Toyota Corolla 1999 Fuse Box / Let's Talk About Car Problems And Instant Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.