Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,845 members, 7,828,076 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

14 Year Old Sahara Migrant Survivor Tells Her Tale. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 14 Year Old Sahara Migrant Survivor Tells Her Tale. (673 Views)

He “real” Cause Of The Sudden Syrian Migrant Refugee Crisis Into Europe. The Rol / Zimbabweans Thank Nigerians And Sahara Reporters For Thrashing President Mugabe / EU agrees to take military action against migrant boats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Year Old Sahara Migrant Survivor Tells Her Tale. by elfico(m): 8:22am On Nov 02, 2013
The bodies of 87 people, thought to be migrants,
were discovered in the Sahara desert in the
north of Niger on Wednesday. They died of
thirst when their vehicles broke down en route
to Algeria. Shafa, a 14-year-old girl from Niger,
survived and told the BBC's Newsday programme her story: We were on our way to Algeria to visit family
members. There were more than 100 of us in a
convoy of two vehicles. Our truck broke down and
it took a whole day to fix. In that time we ran out of
water. We managed to find a well but there was very little
water - one of us climbed down into the well and
managed to draw out a tiny amount, but the rest of
us went thirsty. The drivers told us to wait while others went to
fetch water, but a night and a day later they had not
returned. That was when people started dying. Some 15 of us
died on that second day without water. We moved on with the dead bodies in the truck. By
this time the second vehicle had returned with
some water, Alhamdulillah (thanks to God). We came across some Algerian security forces - but
the drivers turned around because they didn't want
to be caught carrying us since this was illegal. They asked us to hide inside a trench, we spent
another night there - so that is three nights in a row
without any water. One woman started complaining and one of the
drivers used a hose to beat us. Many women and children died. The drivers had
some water in jerrycans but kept it for themselves. 'I buried them' From there they took us back into Niger. Our water
ran out again. There we were, hungry and sitting
amidst corpses in the truck. Once we were in Niger, the drivers removed the
bodies from the truck for burial. They laid them out
on the ground - mothers first, then their children on
top of them. Those of us who were still able to move were told
we would be taken back to our village. On the way,
we ran out of petrol and they asked us to give them
money to buy more. They told us to get out of the car while they went to
get the fuel. They never came back. We waited for two days in the desert - no food, no
water - before we decided to start walking. Some vehicles passed by, we tried to stop them but
no-one would stop. One of the passing cars even
knocked down three of our group and killed them. There were eight of us by now, including my mum
and my younger sisters. When we got tired, we sat
under a tree, and that was where one of my sisters
died. We buried her there. Then we continued walking and after a day, my
second sister died. Then on the third day my
mother died. I buried all of them myself. Rescued None of the vehicles that passed by agreed to stop
and pick me up. After a while I found a tree and sat under its shade,
almost giving up at that point... then a car came by. I took off my blouse and started waving it wildly.
He stopped and asked me what happened and I
told him. They gave me some milk, then water and
rice cake. I ate a little bit but I couldn't continue, then they
made me some tea. It was only then that we carried on travelling
towards Arlit, where I was reunited with my
grandfather. So here I am - my father died long ago, now my
mother is dead, I have no sisters, no brothers. I am living with my aunt. I heard that only myself
and a little girl and 18 men survived the journey out
of more than 100 of us.

Source: m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24768560
Re: 14 Year Old Sahara Migrant Survivor Tells Her Tale. by johnwizey: 8:33am On Nov 02, 2013
Shebi na wetin una dey find una see nw
Re: 14 Year Old Sahara Migrant Survivor Tells Her Tale. by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 02, 2013
which kain family member u (14yrs) go pass sahara desert illegally go visit? u dey go visit family member na im u see security force go hide for trench the whole nite? Ole!!
i no go pity this people again,

1 Like

Re: 14 Year Old Sahara Migrant Survivor Tells Her Tale. by Nobody: 10:05am On Nov 02, 2013
grin Family members my as5. Serves you guys right.

Some people's lies can resurrect a dead person.
Re: 14 Year Old Sahara Migrant Survivor Tells Her Tale. by Psylas(m): 8:56am On Nov 04, 2013
Dr. Joe:
which kind family member u (14yrs) go pass sahara desert illegally go visit? u dey go visit family member na im u see security force go hide for trench the whole nite? Ole!!
i no go pity this people again,
u no read say na the drivers force them to hide? To the extent of beating them

(1) (Reply)

Failed Asylum Seeker Kills Three On Bus in Norway / Greetings From Italy And Some Questions / Woman Dies While Using Cheap USB Charger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.