Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,454 members, 7,830,245 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! (2193 Views)

The Authority Newspaper: Ifeanyi Ubah Goes Into Publishing / Graphic Pictures Of Children Killed By Fulani In Barkin Ladi, Plateau State / My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by DanOfor: 11:00pm On Nov 02, 2013
Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time!

By Mazi Odera

Remember him? For those too young to know and those with short memories, Alhaji Barkin Zuwo was the Kano State governor during the second Republic of Alhaji Shehu Shagari's era. Zuwo was an honest man, a good-intended leader of his dear state…but amongst many qualities, basic education eluded the successful businessman. He became a 'celebrity', a press delight because of his common ignorance of basic terms and misplacement of English meanings of words, sentences and phrases.

When asked about his running mate…the PRP-installed first citizen of the state quickly referred to his NPP counterpart, ''that boy, Rimi, he has been chasing me all around.'' Asked if his state had any minerals of note as part of natural resources, the governor fired back, ''kai … mineral berekete for Kano…akwoi Fanta, akwoi Coke, akwoi…''

Trust the press…Zuwo became a subject of every day mischievous ridicule! Then Buahri and Idiagbon struck, bringing to an end the comedy of many hilarious moments flowing out of Kano State Govt House … for Zuwo even banked at home…his numerous bedrooms were full of bags of cash – state money!

Today, we have one of the candidates lined out to occupy the Anambra apex table molded in exactly same foil! It's two decades gone and states swapped…but 'Dr' Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah cuts same jib as Zuwo. You may dress immaculately, comport yourself articulately, even add exquisite table manners to make any keen observer conclude you belong , yes. But when you open your mouth to speak…my brother…tenses start their utmost betrayal. Yes, tenses!

Before I go any further, let me make it very clear. I have nothing against 'Capital Oil'. I'm even proud of his exploits in the oil sector. Yes, as an Igbo man, I'm proud he could break into the cabal that is Nigeria's Oil business. With his obvious limited background in education, he must have been a genius to achieve his wealth and fame, whatever methods he employed. As well, I'm not bothered about his problem with Coscharis. They're both from Nnewi and history has it they'll always find a way to settle. Neither is it any skin off my nose whatever amount he owes the banks. If they were crazy enough to lend him such gigantic sums without solvable collateral, then let them stew in their own juice…and about time too.

And, believe me, it is never in my character to mock anyone with some sensitive things like education. While growing up, most of us from Anambra were only privileged to go to school. Including my very self, we became graduates by His special grace. It never really was that those that didn't go to school were not intelligent enough. It's only in this era that people started affording such luxury like sending all your kids to secondary and tertiary institutions. With such experience, I'm therefore very convinced that Ifeanyi Ubah would have excelled academically if he chose that route.

But in the name of God, what is Ifeanyi Ubah looking for in Anambra Govt House? Fame? Money? Control? Oh, yes…POWER! This is the modern era…even Kano State would never stoop so low again to unearth another Zuwo, how then Anambra State of all states?

When international press notice our own governor make statements like…I does not want; Obi and Obiano has no power; Ngige did not came; I eats akpu everyday as an Igbo man bringing up at home; etc, etc…then the CNN, BBC, Aljazeera, etc would be flocking Anambra every day for interviews!

Ndi be anyi…Umu Anambra…anyi a kaligo this level! We should NEVER allow this modern caricature to infiltrate our general well-being.

'Capital Oil' bu dike for having attained his business level and fame. I hear he is a philanthropist too. Great. But he should mind his business. And his business is nowhere near Anambra State Govt House.

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by Onlytruth(m): 11:03pm On Nov 02, 2013
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Nwokem, so, ifurozi ife ozo i ga ekwu maka Ifeanyi kalia ikpo ya Barkin Zuwo?

Arrant nonsense. Funny thread though! cheesy
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by LadyH(f): 11:22pm On Nov 02, 2013
lmao. hw den did 'dr' get attached to his name? ha! and he looks like some scholar!
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by Mynd44: 11:30pm On Nov 02, 2013
We Nigerians are so petty. We bother about things that don't matter. While I think it is wrong for someone who wants to be a governor to be making gbagauns, I don't think it is right for him to use a language he is not comfy with.

What is wrong if a governor of a state choose to speak in his native language instead of English so as to avoid embarrassing himself? We disturb ourselves with grammar to win the votes of the English speaking folks who represent a small amount of the electorate while those that matter are actually those that don't understand English.

That's how our public officers will go on stage to use bad grammar in the name of looking good when he can just speak what he can and have an interpreter.

Same goes to Patience Jonathan

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by bigtt76(f): 11:48pm On Nov 02, 2013
@Mynd_44 exactly my point. A Russian president will never address in English at the UN but rather speak in Russian e no send wether peopo understang or not. grin
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by DanOfor: 11:54pm On Nov 02, 2013
LadyH: lmao. hw den did 'dr' get attached to his name? ha! and he looks like some scholar!
he got an honorary doctorate dgree
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by Nobody: 12:02am On Nov 03, 2013
I does not understand why some peoples are afraiding of DR Patrick E Uba.
He have win the election already.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by Nobody: 12:44am On Nov 03, 2013
Hmm,, how did he get his medical doctorship
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by Nobody: 1:11am On Nov 03, 2013
mobuch:
Hmm,, how did he get his medical doctorship
FUTO awarded him Doctor of Management Technology(honorary). He isnt a medical doc
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by Nobody: 1:18am On Nov 03, 2013
click2cbn: FUTO awarded him Doctor of Management Technology(honorary). He isnt a medical doc

So why would a highly educated man like me go for a Phd, when I know I would be answering Doctor with illiterate peeps and nobodies like ifeanyi ubah, whom am very sure bribed his way to be awarded a honorary Doctorate So sad.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by IGBOSON1: 1:48am On Nov 03, 2013
Who cares about his linguistic dexterity!

As far as i'm concerned, i hope he wins the race; failing which Ngige should win it!

Our political history is replete with smooth talking crooks, so grammar doesn't impress me anymore!

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by kasiem(m): 2:04am On Nov 03, 2013
what a funny post?
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:28am On Nov 03, 2013
My issue with Ifeanyi Uba isn't about his inability to speak fluent English,rather his plans on how to move Anambra to a greater height. So,for those who are saying they prefer Uba to Obiano you mean no good for my state.

Addition:Uba need to know this. You don't need to be a governor before you become the most powerful man in Anambra. Focuse on your business and power will surely come your way.

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by Onlytruth(m): 3:45am On Nov 03, 2013
NRI PRIEST: My issue with Ifeanyi Uba isn't about his inability to speak fluent English,rather his plans on how to move Anambra to a greater height. So,for those who are saying they prefer Uba to Obiano you mean no good for my state.

Addition:Uba need to know this. You don't need to be a governor before you become the most powerful man in Anambra. Focuse on your business and power will surely come your way.

I agree with this bolded part of your post. If I were Uba, that is exactly what I would do.
I had thought he would focus on his business first.
I value business more than politics, though political power is the ultimate power.
He can get that later.

Sir Louis Phillip Odumegwu Ojukwu is my role model in that sense.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by LadyH(f): 6:25am On Nov 03, 2013
Dan Ofor:
he got an honorary doctorate dgree
I figured.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by ik4life: 8:05am On Nov 03, 2013
Before the gist was that he can't speak english,today it has changed to he can speak but doesn't have a vision,all these nonsense thread in nairaland is to get bring him down.most at times I ask myself why are they afraid of him?,but I have news for u people especially the op,ubah will win on nov 16 reply me on nov 17
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by dubem3(m): 8:25am On Nov 03, 2013
While am not a keen supporter of Dr Ubah ( as he is fondly known), I think its an Irony that you would choose Obiano over him. Lettered in all the meanings of the word and more, experienced and travelled, yet with the combinations of all these, he managed not to be able to flaw the likes of Ubah in a debate. Going by the out come of these recent events I can say that you who have been privileged to go to school when not a lot of your peers could afford to, have failed to employ this privilege to good use. You have failed to rise above pettiness. I don't care if Ubah can speak English with well tailored tenses, what I care about is a man honest and patrotic enough to lead my people successfully through the next four years

Not only does it stink to be a stooge but its even more repugnant that he can not raise a sufficient cover in speech without being spoon fed and craddled.

What you, my friend should concern yourself with is the capabilities of a man and not his prowess and dexterity in delivering accurate speech with another man's language.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by IGBOSON1: 11:55am On Nov 03, 2013
dubem3: While am not a keen supporter of Dr Ubah ( as he is fondly known), I think its an Irony that you would choose Obiano over him. Lettered in all the meanings of the word and more, experienced and travelled, yet with the combinations of all these, he managed not to be able to flaw the likes of Ubah in a debate. Going by the out come of these recent events I can say that you who have been privileged to go to school when not a lot of your peers could afford to, have failed to employ this privilege to good use. You have failed to rise above pettiness. I don't care if Ubah can speak English with well tailored tenses, what I care about is a man honest and patrotic enough to lead my people successfully through the next four years

Not only does it stink to be a stooge but its even more repugnant that he can not raise a sufficient cover in speech without being spoon fed and craddled.

What you, my friend should concern yourself with is the capabilities of a man and not his prowess and dexterity in delivering accurate speech with another man's language.

^^^Spot on!
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by abuc: 3:32pm On Nov 03, 2013
In as much I'm not a supporter of Ifeanyi Uba, it should be noted that good administrators don't necessary need to have PHD's in order to Govern very well. We have had people with good qualifications from Universities like Cambridge and Harvard but yet, they could not perform.

I have watch briefly the debate and it look as if Ubah and Ngige are more prepared than other candidates. Intelligence is beyond having a school degree. I have been in contact with graduates that can't write a full essay and they blame the government for their unemployment when they can't add value to wherever they find themselves.

The constitution state that with SSCE, you can contest to become a Governor or President. I won't vote for you because you have a PHD but based on your capacity, antecedent and Vision for the people. Having a PHD is not a Guarantee of Administrative Success.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah, The Barkin Zuwo Of Our Time! by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 03, 2013
If madam still survive with her "dictionary free grammar" in abuja and even overseas, then Ifeanyi Uba own na moi moi case undecided

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Borrows 87 Billion To Buy Lekki Toll Road Plus / Photos Of People Attacked In Akwa Ibom State Today - Viewer Discretion Advised!! / Ten Things We Learnts From Buhari's Media Chat This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.