Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,440 members, 7,850,544 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:00 AM

Bill Gates:prioritizingworldwide Internet Access Over Malaria Research Is A JOKE - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Bill Gates:prioritizingworldwide Internet Access Over Malaria Research Is A JOKE (488 Views)

Bill Gates Condemns iPad, Says Lots Of Users Are Frustrated" / 60 Million Nigerians To Have Internet Access By 2013 / I Helped Steve Jobs Create The Mac — Bill Gates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bill Gates:prioritizingworldwide Internet Access Over Malaria Research Is A JOKE by Tajsagay(m): 7:56am On Nov 03, 2013

Technology is "amazing," Bill Gates told the Financial Times in a recent interview, but it's not going to save the world.

Speaking with the Times' Richard Waters about what it's going to take the make the planet a better place, the Microsoft co-founder said that though improvements in technology may have their benefits, they won't meet the needs of the world's most desperate.

"I certainly love the IT thing," Gates said. "But when we want to improve lives, you've got to deal with more basic things like child survival, child nutrition."

"PCs are not, in the hierarchy of human needs, in the first five rungs,” he later added.

Gates' comments come just a few months after Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg and a group of other tech moguls -- positioning Internet connectivity as a humanitarian concern -- promised to bring Internet access to the entire world.

"The Internet is an important foundation in improving the world," Zuckerberg told Wired in August of the plan.

When asked by the Financial Times whether Internet connectivity is more important than, say, finding a vaccination for malaria, Gates responded: "As a priority? It's a joke."

"If you think connectivity is the key thing, that’s great. I don’t,” he added.

Read the full thing here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/02/bill-gates-malaria_n_4205130.html

(1) (Reply)

Acer Laptop 4 Sale Contact On 07038343919 Or 08173435313 / How Can I Begin My E-trade Business / Please Help Me!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.