Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,414 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? (17288 Views)

Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations / Which Is Better Mba Marketing Or Finance? / Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by dandollar1: 8:13am On Jul 08, 2014
Yaasir: Marketing is far more stressful than ops. People in Ops always claim there is nothing in marketing, yet many of them will never jump at the opportunity to go to marketing though they are not being promoted. Operation is beyond tellering. They tend to appear like real bankers while marketers cut the image of a beggar. Lets look at it from this angle. As an operation staff no matter how tedious the job is you close when the offices closes (even if it is 10pm) but as a marketer you start the next round of work when the office closes. You think of how to meet your target ; the mental stress is just too much. Have you ever wondered why all the banks puts emphasis on marketing/performance when it comes to promotion? You can spend 6/7years in operation without promotion! Ask many marketer if they will swap role for operations and you will see some of them taking it immediately. Ask Operations staff the same thing and see how majority will chicken out.
this one!
God help you if you are not a performer as a marketer.you will constantly be receiving the bashing of your life during their weekly or monthly performance review.I'm talking of raw verbal abuse from your bosses ,so much that you will wonder if you are still an adult.they will so reduce your self esteem.you will see adults crying on stage because of the bashing.it's that bad.but if you dey perform,na enjoyment you dey.just that they won't look at your performance of yesterday,in the sense that if the bank is down-sizing at a time that your cabal is not doing too well,they might lay you off,even though you were once a performer.

3 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by Beesluv: 8:13am On Jul 08, 2014
osjoshua: make I ask my granny..please wait ........

wetin granny talk, or she never enter bank before?
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by zurine(f): 9:11am On Jul 08, 2014
i think marketing
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by Dreamtouch: 9:37am On Jul 08, 2014
If you are in marketing and you dnt really know people that can help you with deposits...you may develop high bp...because there's always daily meetings,weekly reviews,monthly performance reviews...so the heat is crazy...so if u dnt have that grace to be bringing deposits regularly..that plan your exit strategy well...because no matter the deposits u r bringing u cnt stop customers from taking dia money.....as a marketer you can set-up abusiness be growing and as u doing ur banking work...even ur branch managers has a couple of businesses...because whenever they wnt to sack,the start with non perfoming staff and for marketers the criteria is mainly target on deposits and loans...Operations is scary I thankGod for protecting my live throughout the whole cashmovements,not opening account that was used for fraud,money laundering,fake cheque....in operations you cnt really know where problems will come out from...I knw people that r still debited from their salary for a mistake either over paying or customer etc Issues too much.....most of them are ready to take 50% off their salary to get a job that is fun and less stressful..the job can give High bp,waist pain for operations staff,eye problems..and armed robbers do attack banks @ times too...because of the statues and hw people worship people that work in banks..especially the ladies because they think they hav money..some lads r ready to end dia career dia

1 Like

Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by uzoexcel(m): 10:25am On Jul 08, 2014
and u will blame the bank for that?
Rilwayne001: A friend of mine that happens to be a marketer of a reputable bank in ib, resigned even before they could address a sack letter to him when he could not meet up the target set for him... may God help us sha.

he now run a business center now, atleast he is the target no target set for him.

As for the operating staff...only God dey help those ones, imagine a friend of mine doing industrial training (IT) in FCMB, she made a mistake by crediting a wrong account, the amount of about N34,000 was lost, and she is been paid N20,000 per month due to fact that she is an IT.

that month salary was not paid, and N14k was deducted from her following month salary..
well she still work there.

may God help us jare
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by LuckyLadolce(m): 10:55am On Jul 08, 2014
Jezyfreezman: 0L0riburUku sumb0dy angry
Epe!
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by sunkoye: 11:59am On Jul 08, 2014
both are challenging.

operations staff now has sales target that hit their appraisal directly.

the point is, if you are caught napping in banking sector the light at the end of the tunnel might get blurred suddenly.

1 Like

Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by billyG(m): 12:07pm On Jul 08, 2014
Do banks give sick leave atall or they employ those who never get sick. i mean resistant 2 malaria ,typhoid,cholera,headaches,cold,pnumonae,stomach pain,pms etc

1 Like

Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by horlamummy: 4:51pm On Jul 08, 2014
am a Teller, just 2day a frnd of mine detect 10000 shortage.. and i heard a marketer complaining dat he collected 2000 shortage... in thesame bank
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by Beesluv: 6:40pm On Jul 08, 2014
Caracta: Operations is not all about Tellering.

I find marketing interesting and challenging...but not in the Nigerian setting.

Operations is stressful. With marketing, you can hit your target in 5 minutes. Operations doesn't end.

Is that how it is to convince a customer? I know most ladies would 'use what they have to get what they want'. May God help female bankers
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by eluquenson(m): 6:53pm On Jul 08, 2014
Marketing is a tedious task, I can do marketing if my bank make it mandatory. Now I have spent 7yrs as an operations staff, I will frankly tell you Operation is just to work on majorly ready made customers.
Operation staff doesn't have target yet they sack more of marketing staffs.
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by Beesluv: 6:55pm On Jul 08, 2014
billyG: Do banks give sick leave atall or they employ those who never get sick. i mean resistant 2 malaria ,typhoid,cholera,headaches,cold,pnumonae,stomach pain,pms etc

Thats jst within the branch, if the manager is considerate
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by Caracta(f): 8:59pm On Jul 08, 2014
Beesluv:

Is that how it is to convince a customer? I know most ladies would 'use what they have to get what they want'. May God help female bankers

I am not a marketer.
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by Beesluv: 8:26am On Jul 09, 2014
Caracta:

I am not a marketer.

No wonder you think it's that easy grin
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by iamastar: 12:46pm On Jul 09, 2014
With this cashless policy operation will be less rewarding, challenging and tasking. But marketting will be more challenging and rewarding.

1 Like

Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by abuhson(m): 1:23pm On Jul 13, 2014
[quote author=Cpumping]

Obviously u do not v any banking experience. [/quote
You think so.....well soothe yourself but the fact still remains that marketers are important and yet they receive meagre pay.....
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by Beesluv: 9:10pm On Aug 09, 2014
[quote author=abuhson][/quote]

I thought marketers and tellers are paid equally
Re: Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? by abuhson(m): 6:50am On Aug 27, 2014
Beesluv: @ Rilwayne001, amen, it can be frustrating when you have no take home pay all cos of shortages.

@Abuhson, do you mean that marketers and operation staff (on the same level) earn different pay? That would be unfair as marketers work under the sun or in the rain.

@Mkoabiola, i dont think so. The target is the heart of marketing
kynda cos in most cases it happens....all am trying to say is that marketers are not fairly treated in the banking industry considering their importannce

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The #nairalife Of A Banker Tempted By Her Family Business / Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! / Nigeria Immigration Service Decorates Newly Promoted Officers-photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.