Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,429 members, 7,954,675 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:56 AM

Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? (12794 Views)

8 avoidable excuses people use as reasons for divorce. / Man Buries His One-Day-Old Baby, Shares Pics Of Her Burial On Facebook / Excessive Exposure Of Children To Uncontrolled Affluence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by biafrakwenu(m): 12:20am On Nov 05, 2013
Let's celebrate the lives of our loved ones while they are still living and quit using burial ceremonies to show affluence. If you cannot celebrate when there is life, why bother when there is death? The dead should be mourned and not celebrated as it amounts to mockery because they cannot celebrate with you. Eating and drinking during burial ceremonies is definitely unchristian, but because of our wickedness we chose to continue with this heathen practice! The bereaved is crying not because of the loss but for what we so called "Christians" will eat and drink on the burial day. The church now sees an opportunity to recover all monies being owed by the dead and family members otherwise no church burial. When the church cannot forgive even the dead, then it is not a christian church because forgiveness leads to Christ. If the church be the judge, no poor man will go to Heaven. The dependents of the dead - God save them.

26 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Osama10(m): 12:36am On Nov 05, 2013
Its plain foolishness and stupidity.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 8:04am On Nov 05, 2013
tell them, thats what they do!! Someone will come and say, i'll tke care of the burial, anoda pson will say, live the food and music part for me, and when the dead pson was still alive, this was the same pple he/she went to meet for help, but they told him/her that they don't have money. After they will say they're christian, they are wicked....
Qus= What does a Christain mean
Ans= Christ Like

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by DEGREE2466(m): 8:14am On Nov 05, 2013
biafra kwenu: Let's celebrate the lives of our loved ones while they are still living and quit using burial ceremonies to show affluence. If you cannot celebrate when there is life, why bother when there is death? The dead should be mourned and not celebrated as it amounts to mockery because they cannot celebrate with you. Eating and drinking during burial ceremonies is definitely unchristian, but because of our wickedness we chose to continue with this heathen practice! The bereaved is crying not because of the loss but for what we so called "Christians" will eat and drink on the burial day. The church now sees an opportunity to recover all monies being owed by the dead and family members otherwise no church burial. When the church cannot forgive even the dead, then it is not a christian church because forgiveness leads to Christ. If the church be the judge, no poor man will go to Heaven. The dependents of the dead - God save them.

ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTION:

1. The dead cannot rise even if there is no burial at all

2. You dont expect people to leave their works and come from far and wide to spend hours with you just to go home on empty stomach.

3. The church you are accusing of extorting money from the bereaved or taking advandage of the dead also contribute money for the burial and if they did not collect their money then when will they collect it?

7 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by rodeo0070(m): 9:02am On Nov 05, 2013
People tend to overdo things when it comes to burial ceremonies...
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by DEGREE2466(m): 9:18am On Nov 05, 2013
There is nothing like overdoing of anything here.

I can see the Ops is reasoning from pover*y. If you get small change now you will see reason to celebrate even the death of your goat.

If someone faints because of hunger in a burial ceremony what will happen then?

Will we follow the dead person to the grave

Please lets celebrate our dead ones because we are not their killer

Even the bible admonish us not to mourn like unbelievers so why do you want the living to suffer because someone dies?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by MCKULQ(m): 10:40am On Nov 05, 2013
I get confused sometimes when i go for burials, some people celebrate burials as if it is 25th of december
but isn't like this in the olden days. People do not longer cry anymore for their loved one.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 05, 2013
DEGREE2466:

2. You dont expect people to leave their works and come from far and wide to spend hours with you just to go home on empty stomach.

3. The church you are accusing of extorting money from the bereaved or taking advandage of the dead also contribute money for the burial and if they did not collect their money then when will they collect it?
This one na church financial secretary. Na poverty you go die put.

14 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by gidzbobby: 12:44pm On Nov 05, 2013
seems like you've not seen where they even pay people to just come and cry for them........ anything i know am going for, i dey chop for house before i comot. whether burial, bufday or anyfin..... i don't want a situatin whereby ushers will keep me on is-coming grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Lilimax(f): 12:44pm On Nov 05, 2013
MCKULQ: I get confused sometimes when i go for burials, some people celebrate burials as if it is 25th of december
but isn't like this in the olden days. People do not longer cry anymore for their loved one.
Likewise me.

Burial should not be accompanied with pomp and pageantry. It is meaningless!

Often times the family of the dead are always apprehensive of where to get the
money for the burial of there loved one which ought not to.

I still prefer the Muslim's way of burial- devoid of all the celebrations.

Afterall, vanity upon vanity...

12 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Fazhy: 12:45pm On Nov 05, 2013
OP is on point but I disagree with some aspects.

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Hackerjay(m): 12:45pm On Nov 05, 2013
I had seen a woman who died of hunger...

bt her Burial ceremony is one in town.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 05, 2013
DEGREE2466: There is nothing like overdoing of anything here.

I can see the Ops is reasoning from pover*y. If you get small change now you will see reason to celebrate even the death of your goat.

If someone faints because of hunger in a burial ceremony what will happen then?

Will we follow the dead person to the grave

Please lets celebrate our dead ones because we are not their killer

Even the bible admonish us not to mourn like unbelievers so why do you want the living to suffer because someone dies?
mumu, the bible said mourning should not last more than a day, I do not see where it said money the dead didn't see while alive should be spent in burying them.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by dridowu: 12:46pm On Nov 05, 2013
DEGREE2466:

+100000000likes

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 05, 2013
Especially the yo...... grin grin
But that's so wrong angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 05, 2013
Fazhy: OP is on point but I disagree with some aspects.
Please state them.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by ikekings1: 12:48pm On Nov 05, 2013
I enjoy burials!!! Free food, free drinks.. What else can I ask for? A time for jollification!!! grin grin grin..

Watch them attack me!!! undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by adtiezy1(m): 12:48pm On Nov 05, 2013
lets see whuz sharp

65 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Nov 05, 2013
dridowu:
+100000000likes
I know say na burial rice dem take feed you big and you get same plans for your children.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 05, 2013
I love the way muslims bury their dead; bury the corpse, say some few prayers then go home.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by homesteady(m): 12:53pm On Nov 05, 2013
They are celebrating the person's life! And that's the last respect a child can give to his parent
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by lifestyle1(m): 12:53pm On Nov 05, 2013
kolawaxxy: I love the way muslims bury their dead; bury the corpse, say some few prayers then go home.

They also celebrate after a month or so.....
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 05, 2013
It is really really appalling! When the dead was alife most will not even gv the person 1kobo but wen death comes dey will even go an extra length of borrowing huge amounts of money that dey cannot pay. All in d name of I must impress n gv a befitting burial. Mtcheew. angry angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 05, 2013
kolawaxxy: I love the way muslims bury their dead; bury the corpse, say some few prayers then go home.
Exactly and that is the sort of burial I wish to get when I eventually die. There are people who just avoid you under the pretense of working and hope to see your lifeless body in a box before interment and eat all sorts of food for free to justify their attendance.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by raytony: 12:56pm On Nov 05, 2013
More like celebrating their lifetime.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Ediss(m): 12:56pm On Nov 05, 2013
How do you want people to bury their love ones? Or how do u intend us to bury u just tell us please. Just abandon your body? Hmmm sad
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by nerodenero: 12:57pm On Nov 05, 2013
To say that some people even celebrate the death of children or adolescents is disheartening.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by raytony: 12:58pm On Nov 05, 2013
blink182: Exactly and that is the sort of burial I wish to get when I eventually die. There are people who just avoid you under the pretense of working and hope to see your lifeless body in a box before interment and eat all sorts of food for free to justify their attendance.
Its easy now. Just inform your immediate family. Abi dem tell you say I go come drag your burial ceremony with them?
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by cashkidisback1(m): 12:58pm On Nov 05, 2013

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by nickz(m): 12:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
Using a dead mans casket for acrobatics was the one that pissed me off.........if I die and my children do that to me I swear na thunder I go use strike dem

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Dannylux: 12:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
It's pathetic
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by nickz(m): 1:01pm On Nov 05, 2013
adtiezy1: lets see whuz sharp
lol, the trees 'make_up' the second deer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Housewife or Working Woman? / Should Married Women Drink Alcohol? / What Tactics Do Parents Employ To Stop Their Kids From Bedwetting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.