Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,060 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike (3420 Views)

Latest On ASUU Strike: FG In Talks With ASUU On Strike – Maku / FG In Talks With ASUU On Strike - Maku / ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by jhidey08(m): 12:55pm On Nov 05, 2013
ASUU considers calling off strike after 13-hour meeting with Jonathan

on November 05, 2013 at 12:06 pm in News

Abuja – President Goodluck Jonathan on Monday led a negotiation meeting with the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to end the protracted strike embarked upon by the union since July 1.

The13-hour meeting started at about 2.30 p.m. on Monday at the Presidential Villa and ended at 3.30 a.m. on Tuesday.

The meeting had in attendance the leadership of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) led by their respective Chairmen Abduwaheed Omar and Bobbo Kaigama.

The ASUU team was led by the union’s President, Dr. Nasir Fagge, three former presidents of the union, professors Dipo Fashina, Abdullahi Sule-Kano and Festus Iyayi as well as professors Biodun Osiyemi, Victor Osodeke, Suleiman Abdullahi and Dr. Victor Igbum.

On the government negotiation team were, Vice President Namadi Sambo; Minister of Labour, Chukwuemeka Wogu; Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and the Minister of State for Education, Mr Nyesom Wike.

Also on the government side were the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim, the Chief of Staff to the President, Mr Mike Oghiadome, and the Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission, Prof. Julius Okojie.

Emerging from the meeting, Fagge told State House correspondents that the president had given the delegation a message to its members which would enable the union to call off the strike.

President Goodluck Jonathan (left); ASUU Vice President, Mr. Biodun Ogunyemi Onabanjo (2nd right); Vice President Namadi Sambo (2nd left) and ASUU President, Nasir Faggae (right) during the meeting.

“We have had a lengthy meeting with Mr President, rubbing minds on the ways to address the problems of university education in this country.

“We now have a message from Mr President that we are going to take to our members and we are expecting that our members will respond appropriately to the message of Mr President,” he said

Asked whether union would call off the strike and return to work based on the message from the meeting, Fagge said “that is up to our members.”

Wogu, who spoke for the government, said that the meeting ended positively and the message of the President to ASUU “is full of hope and high expectations.

“The message is full of hope and expectations and our prayer is that they come back with positive response.

“They might not even come back to meet us; they might even take decisions there that will meet your expectations.”

Wogu noted that the offer made by the president was in line with the 2009 agreement reached with the union.

“The offer is within the issues that led to the strike; the issues contained in the 2009 agreement and we did not go beyond the agreement,” he said.

He appealed to Nigerians to be patient with ASUU and gave an assurance that the outcome of the meeting would be positive.

The president appeared to be in high spirits when he entered the venue of the meeting.

While shaking hands with the ASUU president, he exclaimed: “My president! All the problems will be over today; our children must go back to school.”

The president proceeded to shake hands with everyone in attendance at the meeting.

Also, while shaking hands with Omar and Kaigama, Jonathan said: “My presidents, with you here, I am assured everything will go on well, it is signed and sealed.”

The meeting went into a 30-minute break at 6.20 p.m.

During the period, the ASUU delegation went out of the venue of the meeting to the road where the bus that conveyed them was packed and held consultations inside the bus for about 25 minutes.

Prior to the arrival of the ASUU and labour team for the meeting, the president held a closed-door consultation with members of his team.

The discussion, which lasted for about 40 minutes, was attended by the Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Mr Mohammed Adoke (SAN).

It will be recalled that ASUU embarked on strike on July 1 over the government failure to implement an agreement reached with the union in 2009 for improved funding for infrastructure development in the universities and payment of lecturers’ Earned Allowances.

Government had set up two committees to address the issues to resolve the crisis but the inability of the committees to reach agreements with ASUU led to the vice-president taking over the negotiation.

On Sept. 19, the vice-president held a special negotiation meeting with the leadership of ASUU and offered an improved government position on the matter but the union rejected the offer.

Many Nigerians have appealed to ASUU to call off the strike. (NAN
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by francafrank(f): 1:32pm On Nov 05, 2013
we are waiting patiently
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by andy24(m): 1:57pm On Nov 05, 2013
I just finished ironing my clothes and packing my bags after reading this.

1 Like

Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by christyhoney: 1:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
Assu members plzz oh.u guys hv got no choice than to call d strike off or u have ur self to blame
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by Richiez(m): 2:05pm On Nov 05, 2013
good news..atleast!
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by jhidey08(m): 2:09pm On Nov 05, 2013
andy24: I just finished ironing my clothes and packing my bags after reading this.
me I dey luk 4 my materials and textbooks, I no knw where I keep dem again.

1 Like

Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 05, 2013
hiannnn
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by jhidey08(m): 2:11pm On Nov 05, 2013
Richiez: good news..atleast!
goodest news instead, d most encouraging one since july 1st
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by jhidey08(m): 2:14pm On Nov 05, 2013
christyhoney: Assu members plzz oh.u guys hv got no choice than to call d strike off or u have ur self to blame
who tld u dey av no choice? Dey av so many choices, jst pray dat dey cum out wit sumtin positive.
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by walad4yhu(m): 2:18pm On Nov 05, 2013
francafrank: we are waiting patiently

Desperately waiting, ma dear!
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by Michelyr3(m): 2:37pm On Nov 05, 2013
Dats gud to hear
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by lirusehn(m): 2:38pm On Nov 05, 2013
This is deeper dan RAP. All fankz 2 Prophet TB Joshua. I love u sir. *oya leggo* #critiques.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by realsuigeneris: 2:56pm On Nov 05, 2013
na wao!! so na all these students full nairaland for the past 4 months........no wonder the standard of discuss and deliberation has really become so low...vis--viz posting of irrelevant topics, pictures and also unnecessary tribal wars......Pls ASUU pls call of this strike......so that NL can go back to its good old days.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by lirusehn(m): 2:58pm On Nov 05, 2013
realsui-generis:
na wao!! so na all these students full nairaland for the past 4 months........no wonder the standard of discuss and deliberation has really become so low...vis--viz posting of irrelevant topics, pictures and also unnecessary tribal wars......Pls ASUU pls call of this strike......so that NL can go back to its good old days.
what is ur point? Must u reason wiv ur a55?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by jhidey08(m): 3:39pm On Nov 05, 2013
lirusehn: what is ur point? Must u reason wiv ur a55?
must u giv him a finishing? Don't mind d busy body guy
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by topsonkay(m): 3:47pm On Nov 05, 2013
realsui-generis:
Who is this?
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by slimfit2(m): 4:02pm On Nov 05, 2013
well it remains to b seen if ASUU will chop ebure...chai na me and exam go dey roll when we resume(shakes head)..[color=#006600][/color]
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by b3llo(m): 4:23pm On Nov 05, 2013
Good to know
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by Macdashwa(m): 4:35pm On Nov 05, 2013
jhidey08: me I dey luk 4 my materials and textbooks, I no knw where I keep dem again.
lolz u na crioz student nau.mayb u shud ask d man selin acara by ur houz 4 d remainin paperz.
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by sparkleRed(f): 4:44pm On Nov 05, 2013
christyhoney: Assu members plzz oh.u guys hv got no choice than to call d strike off or u have ur self to blame
Sweerie its ASUU nt assu smiley

1 Like

Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by Greekbreed(m): 5:08pm On Nov 05, 2013
abi
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 05, 2013
And finally I can comment on the education's forum after 24hours ban.
Long live finestboi
Long live mods
Long live Nlanders!
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by RINE1: 5:46pm On Nov 05, 2013
PATRIOTIC & TRUE LEADER Where
ar Alhaji Tafawa Balewa.Sir
Nnamdi Azikwe ,Chief Obafemi
Awolowo ,Gen .Murtala
Muhammad e.t.c The patriotic nd
true leaders who genuinely
fought for independence for this
our dear father land only used
Peugeot 404, 405 and 505 as
official cars. These cars were not
automatic, never BULLET PROOF
and the purchasing prices of the
said Peugeot cars were never
inflated . Now in the era of
leaders who were probably in
Primary school as the that time
now used our hard earned taxes
to buy cars they can't be in two
at same time. They build
mansions in every nooks and
crannies of the world yet they
can't sleep in 2 rooms at same
time. They must never foget that
the same death that will take
away the poor will also take away
the rich. Millions of Nigerian ar
jobless nd roamin d street
hopelessly .Nigerian Universities
have been on strike for
approximately four months now,
but our leaders have pretended
as if everything is fine. God is
watching our leaders in HD Smart
TV in heaven. Olorun lo ma da ejo
afi eyin pin eran to ni eran o kan
ohun lenu. (God will judge the
person who shares meat with
his/her teeth and yet claiming his
mouth did touch d meat).
Whatever we do,we shall be
judged accordingly .

1 Like

Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 05, 2013
After this, ASUU should be dissolved by any means possible... They cannot be playing with my education ....Nonsense

1 Like

Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by spenca: 7:20pm On Nov 05, 2013
@op Dipo fashina is a DR of philosophy not a professor ,May Allah bless you as you make that correction
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by Jeetkool(m): 7:33pm On Nov 05, 2013
what about Asup now
Oga oooo
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by LadyCaty(f): 9:20pm On Nov 05, 2013
Dey shld jst kal t off make peson hear word..Nawa oo..Mst it be on d verge,knt dey jst say it has bin kald off..mtcheeeew 4 dem
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by jhidey08(m): 11:29pm On Nov 05, 2013
Macdashwa: lolz u na crioz student nau.mayb u shud ask d man selin acara by ur houz 4 d remainin paperz.
d man don die
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by jhidey08(m): 11:33pm On Nov 05, 2013
Jeetkool: what about Asup now
Oga oooo
go and sit down first, dey're attending 2 ur bro(ses) nw, afta dey'll call u. U hear?
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by jhidey08(m): 11:35pm On Nov 05, 2013
Lady Caty: Dey shld jst kal t off make peson hear word..Nawa oo..Mst it be on d verge,knt dey jst say it has bin kald off..mtcheeeew 4 dem
y ur blood dey hot na, no go get HBP cos of ASUU o.
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by LadyCaty(f): 5:50am On Nov 06, 2013
jhidey08: y ur blood dey hot na, no go get HBP cos of ASUU o.

z nt lyk mi blood z hot bt dy ve bin delayin..either z soon or anoda tyn..dey re jst sumhw abeg.. undecided
Re: ASUU On The Verge Of Calling Off The Strike by Macdashwa(m): 8:00am On Nov 06, 2013
jhidey08: d man don die
wah abt hs children?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jigawa State Polytechnic, Dutse 2015/2016 POST UTME FORM..O7O39293182 / Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed / Edius Pro 9 Full Version With Crack 64 Bit Free Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.