Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,591 members, 7,820,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? (1735 Views)

KUNUN ZAKI (millet Drink Recipe) / How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé / Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by specialguest(f): 10:43pm On Nov 07, 2013
This evening i was rushing home from work when i stopped by the market to buy some fresh tomatoes and pepper and as usual i looked around for one of those boys who operate those commercial grinding machines.

He collected my stuff, emptied it into a semi clean bowl and began washing them with semi clean water. On seeing this, I got furious, packed my tomatoes and pepper back to the nylon bag ungrounded and left. And All the boy kept saying was " aunty na so we dey do am" imagine!

We all know how very dirty and untidy commercial grinding machines can be, so why do we keep using them? And if we must use them what steps can one take to ensure our tomatoes,beans, millet etc are grounded without extra germs and bacteria added to them while grinding in the market?
Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by braine(m): 10:46pm On Nov 07, 2013
Its been like that for years and we're probably used to this already• I guess cooking kills the germs• As a guy I jes supervise the person doing it making sure they wash their machine and stuff•

1 Like

Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by Infomizer(m): 12:13am On Nov 08, 2013
braine: Its been like that for years and we're probably used to this already• I guess cooking kills the germs• As a guy I jes supervise the person doing it making sure they wash their machine and stuff•

GBAM!
Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by Queendo(f): 1:45am On Nov 08, 2013
well its not been lik dt from ages i think its laziness, till date my old mother buys her tomatoes from d market and comes home to grind it. at times when we get mad at her for nor grinding it in d market she tells u she wants to wash it clean and take her time to remove any dirty. so recently i have decided to adopt her method after eating one terrible stew not properly washed. what i do now is to get a smallm bucket where i put my grains or tomatoes and ensure i wash it wel before going to grind them. we shouldn't be carefree with what we wil eat.

1 Like

Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by cynhamscakes(f): 3:42am On Nov 08, 2013
Even the air we breath is not safe at all as there are always millions of microscopic bacteria and fungi floating at every point in time.

All you need do is ensure they wash your goodies with clean water, if they are attempting to use dirty water, let them know how you feel about that and also insist they flush the engine with clean water first before grinding your stuff.

The cooking/heating process takes care of any bacteria in the raw food.

1 Like

Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by Chomzy19(f): 11:14am On Nov 08, 2013
Hmmm, Nooo, dt dia grinding machine n d dirty water they wash it with self can add germs to d alredy existing ones in d tomatoes. I buy my tomatoes n properly wash n blend it at home. As for beans i just buy bean flour n save myself d stress

d truth is pple dont rilly see it as anything afterall dirty no dey kill black man n pple blive d germs will generally b killd at boiling point; dis might b d case but i just cant eat sth dt its preparation ws so unhygienic n i saw d entire thing

1 Like

Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by marriedbtlonely: 11:57am On Nov 08, 2013
You can instruct them to use clean water to wash yours. Better still, when I'm rushing and I have to grind my stuff in the market, I take the pains to pick and wash by myself and they have never objected. You sure have a choice
Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by specialguest(f): 12:33pm On Nov 08, 2013
marriedbtlonely: You can instruct them to use clean water to wash yours. Better still, when I'm rushing and I have to grind my stuff in the market, I take the pains to pick and wash by myself and they have never objected. You sure have a choice

I agree i can wash them myself but do i carry clean water from my house? I have resolved to buy the tomatoes, take it home and wash properly then use a blender to grind it. Secondly have you closely looked at the grinding mills/ machines? It is almost as if they have permanent black stains.
Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by marriedbtlonely: 2:16pm On Nov 08, 2013
winkThey always have clean water which they stint on but if you insist they'll give you (even if they grumble inside of them). The black stain on the market grinding machines is also noticeable on grinding machines at home. Sometimes I use their spoon to scoop out dirty oil dripping into my pepper/beans as it's being ground shocked.
Ive also recently resolved to using blender myself for the singlular reason of oil drippings - I no wan die young embarassed
Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by tpia5: 2:48am On Nov 09, 2013
specialguest:

I have resolved to buy the tomatoes, take it home and wash properly then use a blender to grind it. .

so whats the point of the thread?

you just felt like opening one?
Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by specialguest(f): 7:49am On Nov 09, 2013
tpia@:

so whats the point of the thread?

you just felt like opening one?

Yea I felt like opening one so people like me and you would share their opinion on grinding stuff in the market. So let"s hear yours if you have any.

By the way did you read up there that my decision to start blending at home came from a suggestion by marriedbtlonely? No I guess you didn"t instead you were in a hurry trying to type anything so you would be the 9th to comment. Well congrats you got the slot smiley
Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by tpia5: 6:27pm On Dec 21, 2013
For your mind you opened thread.

agbero feeling funky.
Re: Ladies How Hygienic Is Grinding Tomatoes,beans,millet, Etc In The Market? by specialguest(f): 6:56pm On Dec 21, 2013
tpia@:
For your mind you opened thread.

Obviously I did since stalkers like you followed me here. Tsheeeeeew for your mind you have mouth? Go borrow a bigger one woman I ain't one of those people who condone your excesses on Nairaland.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

We Supply Frozen Food In Bulk / Exportation Of Sweet Delicious Smoked Dried CAT FISH Available!!! (Video) / How To Make Peanut Burger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.