Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,101 members, 7,835,713 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Agent Demands 2 Yrs Commission And Agency Fee On A 1 Year Rent. Please Clarify - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Agent Demands 2 Yrs Commission And Agency Fee On A 1 Year Rent. Please Clarify (1089 Views)

3 Bedroom Flat En-suite At Okota For Rent N400,000 (including Agency Fee) / Serviced Office Space In The Heart Of Ikeja-no Agency Fee,no Legal Fee / 2 Plots Of Land For Sale @ Trans Nkisi Gra Onitsha For 1.5 Million Each No Agency Fee! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agent Demands 2 Yrs Commission And Agency Fee On A 1 Year Rent. Please Clarify by sirgigs: 4:16am On Nov 08, 2013
Dear Nairalanders,

Please I need clarifications. I was shown a house I liked over the weekend somewhere in Iyana Oworo where the Landlord asked for just 1 YEAR RENT of =N=500K.

But to my surprise the Agent in charge told me His commission & Agency charges are calculated on 2 years rent even though I actually am to pay for 1 year!

That means he wants 500K * 2yrs * 10% = 100k as Agency

And another 500k *2yrs * 10% = 100k as Commission

That's 200k together. I am confused and surprised because I thought if at all it should be based on the number years rent I am paying for which is 1 year and not 2 years.

Guys please help clarify if this is the practice!
Re: Agent Demands 2 Yrs Commission And Agency Fee On A 1 Year Rent. Please Clarify by RoyalRoy(m): 4:38am On Nov 08, 2013
There is nothing to clarify.
He is simply dubious.

Get another agent and find another house.

If you however love the particular house and you can't let go, then report him to their association thats if he belongs to one anyway.
Re: Agent Demands 2 Yrs Commission And Agency Fee On A 1 Year Rent. Please Clarify by azpekuliar: 8:37am On Nov 08, 2013
It's not an unusual practice among quacks. You can negotiate the fees. If he still wouldn't bulge, find something you can afford to close.
Re: Agent Demands 2 Yrs Commission And Agency Fee On A 1 Year Rent. Please Clarify by josite: 8:47am On Nov 08, 2013
to be honest with you .im a lawyer and I didn't want to pay the 2years agency or legal as you are been asking to pay but when you discover that almost every agents is asking for same and you are tired of the house hunting project and you really like what you are offered ,you may wish to just end it and pay the so called illegal fees so you can rest. I paid it .Paying it really has an advantage if you decides to spend another year in the premises because you can show the court that the lease is for 2 years an therefore all you are expected to pay is the 2nd year rent. If the house is perfect for you ,please pay and insist on getting the receipt which they might be reluctant to give you.my landlord and his agent connived not to give me the receipt for the 2 year agency/commission they took from me and had to confront both of them before I was issued one.

(1) (Reply)

A Plot Of Land That Is Fenced Click To See Details. / A Plot Of Land For Sale At Aiyeteju Ajah Lagos For 700k / Lamudi Leads The Online REAL ESTATE Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.