Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees (1783 Views)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by IAH(f): 3:18pm On Aug 29, 2005
Why are Nigerians so crazy about degrees? In Nigeria, if you just decide you don’t want to go to University, you are looked upon as a failure. Most parents would do anything to see that their kids enter Uni, pay huge sums to get their wards’ names on the admissions list, bribe lecturers to give them marks, and the students too struggle their lives out to bag that certificate, etc. Why is it so important? Is it really worth it in today’s Nigeria?

After all, the world’s most successful people don’t have no degrees e.g. Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Paul Allen, Larry Ellison, John Carmack...the list is endless.

My former flatmate dropped out of Uni to go and work, and when I told my Daddy he said “O mase o”(meaning “What a pity”) As if her life has ended because she dropped out of Uni! I think he needs to listen to Kanye West’s Album College Dropout (School Spirit Skit 1&2, Lil Jimmy Skit) and know that “degrees” don't matter. Nigerians need to change that mentality.

Here are some extracts from Kanye West's tracks: "...then you get your Bachelors, then you get your Masters, then you get your Masters' Masters, then you get your doctorate, you go man, when everybody says hey! you are not making any money, you say look at my degrees..."

So now you get your degrees tattooed on your back, your so excited about it. After several interviews, Oh my God, you'll come in at an entry level position and when u do that if u kiss enough ass, you'll move up to the next level, which is being a secretary's secretary . And boy is that great! you get to take messages for the secretary who never went to college..." cheesy
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by kazey(m): 3:21pm On Aug 29, 2005
hmm true, but we shouldnt encourage it smiley. I would finish my degree, because the country I come from, makes it a must for people like me, besides the fact that if you want to marry an educated Nigerian lady, one of the pre-requisite is a university degree.
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by Hndholder(m): 3:34pm On Aug 29, 2005
Not only degree even titles Chief, Dr.Prof, Esq Engr Etc. Mni,mghf. mm Fthis and Fthat

That I owen HND Nigerian almost turn me to something else Haaaa Nigeria I Hail Thee
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by IAH(f): 4:33pm On Aug 29, 2005
kazey:

besides the fact that if you want to marry an educated Nigerian lady, one of the pre-requisite is a university degree.

Lol. Who told you that?
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by obong(m): 4:51pm On Aug 29, 2005
i think its a very healthy obessesion. Bill Gates wouldnt be where he was if his father was a degreed person, i.e. a lawyer. Besides Bill Gates them are the exception, not the rule. his business is built on the knowledge of others that went to uni
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by joftech(m): 8:04pm On Aug 29, 2005
Kanye West said it all in that "College Drop Out", (Lil Jimmy Skit, Family Business, I'll Fly Away and Never Let me down) are my favovorite songs right now. Kanye himself a college drop out has achieve what some PhDs can't achieve.

A degree is good if it was gotten on a knowledge seeking and not a job seeking basis. We mostly miss the meaning of a degree in Nigeria (so much emphasis on paper certification).

I personally will never put myself through the hassle of obtaining a Nigerian degree, it's not worth it; they will never give me what i want anyway.

Some days ago JAMB registrar was lamenting the low number of candidates registering for the Poly JAMB exam, that is sounding the death knell for the nations technical power base.

Now 1st degree holders can hardly get a job. Most are now going for Masters, in 5 years time a 1st degree will have the same value of a School Cert, (Standard 6 >School Cert >Degree) all in that order.

So if you want to get a Degree in order to get a job, make sure you are get your Masters as well in one straight hop.
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by obong(m): 8:34pm On Aug 29, 2005
dont fall that BS. degrees are the best way to go, on average
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by joftech(m): 9:04pm On Aug 29, 2005
don't fall that BS. degrees are the best way to go, on average

What education do Nigerian universities impact. Most of the fresh graduate come out with very low spirit and self-worth.
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by obong(m): 10:00pm On Aug 29, 2005
they have the education, but there isnt anywhere to apply it. Its not th euni's job to create employment, but most of the nigerian graduates i have met are ver very capable
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by kazey(m): 11:26am On Aug 30, 2005
But honestly Univerisities just prepare your mindset and culture of doing what you do?

The job atmosphere is totally different in terms of applying, what you learnt in the University. So what are we saying. Why do we need a degree? To get a Job? or To be Respected? or even To be matured and ready for the real world? I think it really depends.

Yes There should be a continuity of that craze. I am not crazy, but I do encourage Nigerians to be.
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by Hndholder(m): 11:33am On Aug 30, 2005
I love the show the beat must not stop. Degree for all in year 2010, then after degree take a trade in education there are more room if not so I would not have spoken of it. Free your self from all darkness GO for DEREE NOT HND anyway.
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by Nobody: 10:05pm On Oct 25, 2005
That getting a degree is a do-or-die affair in Nigeria today is not the fault of the Nigerian under-graduate,it is the fault of those before us who based everything on getting a degree.
What i am learning right now in school is hardly only bookwork,what most people get is the experience.Staying in the hostel for one year and a half,i learnt how to co-habit with different kind of people,esp. girls.I grew up with brothers and before i came here,i was very rough and scatter-brained and i couldn't really get along with girls but now all that has changed. Staying on my own off-campus has helped me learn responsibility and accountability as i have to be that to my land-lady.
That is just an example of what i gained and im very sure that if asked,many graduates and under-graduates have their different stories to tell.The degree is just there,its the experience that counts in the Nigrian universities.
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by Hndholder(m): 4:18pm On Oct 27, 2005
No longer a meal ticket but part of fun to have a uni degree
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by Hndholder(m): 4:19pm On Oct 27, 2005
Parental pride that they have achild in university.
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by DEKING3(m): 8:25pm On Nov 05, 2005
I think the craze for the degrees is due to the fact that so many people have the wrong perception about having a degree. I f you ask the average Nigerian undergraduate why he/she chose the university, he/she would answer thus, well, the discrimination in the labour market is too much and I don't want that. Others might say, if I have a degree, it might give me the chance to rise where I would work and that means more money. They might not mention the more money part if it, but I tell you, that's one of the reasons.

All for wrong reasons.

What's the essence of the degree when after you have it, you're not guaranteed a bright future. So many believe the degree would take them where they want to get. Judge for youself.
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by joftech(m): 11:03am On Nov 09, 2005
A degree is seen as a status symbol by some gullible Nigerians, they consider anyone without one an illitrate. But in actual fact education is not about a degree or a university education, it's all about what you know and your capabilities.
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by Swish(m): 2:34am On Dec 09, 2005
let the truth be told. joftech..respect. It's really sad. just as one man said, "it doesn't matter to me whether a man is from singh singh or harvard, all that matters is what he can do" or something like that,
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by uc: 11:29pm On Dec 23, 2005
I have read all that have me written by every one and i believe everyone is right in there very own perspective.... me i no be OND or HND holder i never even enter uni but I’ll love to and am working towards it. As i be igbo boy i suppose face business if no be spare part i go fall into or continue with the family bus. Yes we nigrians are degree craze but believe me its not the student who are the craze its the parents.
If una know papa or mama wey know whats up when you see them runsing for their ward in school then u'll know what i mean...In nigeria now at least with my little understanding we do everything we do cos we want to make money and ppl now student o, mama, papa, brother, sister every they look for money even the students that are meant to be in school often leave the place of education(school-university)in search of a greener pasture---where to make money.
Forget respect nobody really goes to school to attain a degree cos he/she wants to be respected but wants to have that certificate that will enable get a job where he can earn a honest BIG money. Certificate forgery has been adopted by our politicians just because it is said that you must go to school or have a degree of some sorts who really needs a degree when you can make your money or go into politics without them asking of your school cert.
Yes it is true that some youths tend to be a brainy the love books, they love to read n e thing books and they love education they can be craze too which may not be because of the parents or thereabout. Me i go go school o! cos i no fit shout and i go make my MONEY no shaking... EDUCATION leads to more knowledge which is the ULTIMATE and MONEY is a NECESSITY
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 28, 2010
Revealing
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by tck2000(m): 2:16pm On Jun 28, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Nigerians and Their 'Craze' for Degrees by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 28, 2019
This madness is still going and hasn't changed till date.
cc:lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Rsust Post Ume Announced! / Unilag Post Jamb / [URGENT] Help!!!.. Jamb Palava, Am So So Lost..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.