Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,342 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar (1690 Views)

Buhari Defies Rain In Cross River, Shuns Helicopter / Photos: Is Gov. Ameachi The Funniest Governor Nigeria Had Ever Had? / CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by gistyinka(m): 8:15pm On Nov 08, 2013
Former US Ambassador to Nigeria, John Campbell has said that there are at least 115 US Dollar billionaires in Nigeria.

He made the revelation in his book titled “Nigeria – Dancing on the brink”. The Ambassador said that he received the information from a top New York investment bank executive with knowledge of offshore accounts and asset records of high profile Nigerians.

Forbes puts the number of dollar billionaires in Nigeria at 2, a gross understatement of the public wealth hidden in private pockets of politically exposed persons. However in their defense, Forbes only measures corporate assets i.e. wealth that can be traced to shareholdings in listed companies.

He stated this while describing the corruption in the Nigeria and the immense poverty plaguing the nation.

John Campbell was the US Ambassador to Nigeria between 2004 and 2007.

Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by iterator25: 8:26pm On Nov 08, 2013
Nigerians know this.. Nothing new
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by slimfit1(m): 8:35pm On Nov 08, 2013
Well thanks ambassador we are enjoying the suffering thank you go and relax in your Manston for now sir thanks.
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 08, 2013
Babangida should be amongst them. It's shocking that Nigeria, with a GDP of $400bn, has almost the same number of $ billionaires as the U.S., a $15tr economy shocked
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by Nobody: 10:33pm On Nov 08, 2013
I hope those are Dangote and Adenuga
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by AZeD1(m): 11:17pm On Nov 08, 2013
CFCfan: Babangida should be amongst them. It's shocking that Nigeria, with a GDP of $400bn, has almost the same number of $ billionaires as the U.S., a $15tr economy shocked
The US has far more than 115 billionaires
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by sopoundz(m): 12:57am On Nov 09, 2013
Wa o! Mk I soon b no 116. Papa bless my hussle
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by UyiIredia(m): 1:20am On Nov 09, 2013
CFCfan: Babangida should be amongst them. It's shocking that Nigeria, with a GDP of $400bn, has almost the same number of $ billionaires as the U.S., a $15tr economy shocked

And I thought you were politically savvy given how active you are hear: I will convebiently forget this occurred.
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by UyiIredia(m): 1:21am On Nov 09, 2013

And I thought you were politically savvy given how active you are hear: I will conveniently forget this occurred.
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by Nobody: 1:25am On Nov 09, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

And I thought you were politically savvy given how active you are hear: I will conveniently forget this occurred.
cheesy cheesy
Maybe I got the number of US billionaires wrong
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by UyiIredia(m): 1:51am On Nov 09, 2013
CFCfan:
cheesy cheesy
Maybe I got the number of US billionaires wrong

SMH. Maybe Your sh*t's worse than I thought.
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by DonHummer(m): 2:01am On Nov 09, 2013
any Nigerian who doesnt knw this deserves a slap..

1 Like

Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by Nobody: 2:40am On Nov 09, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

SMH. Maybe Your sh*t's worse than I thought.
CFC sef nor gree ansa u again.He agreed he made a mistake nd u ad 2 harp abt it again?
@ topic,the man aint writing abt anything we don't already know,nd more.
Godbless Nigeria!
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by Nobody: 3:24am On Nov 09, 2013
You plagiarized and edited my initial post! Copy copy Copyright https://www.nairaland.com/1509047/least-115-dollar-billonaires-nigeria-ambassador
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by musiwa112: 9:59am On Nov 09, 2013
nigeria has over 100 billionaires in usa dollars. that is true, but most stole the money while they were in government.. abacha has 5 billion dollar.

you should be able to find 60 people with $1billion while in govt. they dont pay worker . even since 1999, many stole millions of dollars.

the budget of a governor for 8 years is more than $8 billion. a state like lagos is $24 billion, so as governor, some of them steal billion.

some minister control millions of dollars.
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by musiwa112: 10:05am On Nov 09, 2013
why do you think, people are shouting that they want me to president because they are feed up with all this people.. by 2015 the army will overthrow them because they are not credible...many have stole money... the army will overthrow all of the governors after 2015, they will overthrow jonathan too.. they will overthrow fashola etc.. they will overthrow northern governors too.. even they will overthrow buhari, that why, when the issue of credibility took place, the youth in his home town, went to blow up banks to try to link him to robering a bank.

but the army will not overthrow me.. i have not fund boko haram, i got investigated... because they think i was the one, they dont know that the northern youth are not that stupid, they know the truth.

nigerian army are not that stupid,
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by gboso1ne(m): 10:16am On Nov 09, 2013
We know b4
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by gabriel212: 12:03pm On Nov 09, 2013
musiwa112: why do you think, people are shouting that they want me to president because they are feed up with all this people.. by 2015 the army will overthrow them because they are not credible...many have stole money... the army will overthrow all of the governors after 2015, they will overthrow jonathan too.. they will overthrow fashola etc.. they will overthrow northern governors too.. even they will overthrow buhari, that why, when the issue of credibility took place, the youth in his home town, went to blow up banks to try to link him to robering a bank.

but the army will not overthrow me.. i have not fund boko haram, i got investigated... because they think i was the one, they dont know that the northern youth are not that stupid, they know the truth.

nigerian army are not that stupid, they will not overthrow me.
What are you saying?
Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by IGBOSON1: 1:03pm On Nov 09, 2013
Off the top of my head, i can mention:

Abacha
IBB
Atiku Abubakar
Abdulsalami Abubakar
Mai Deribe
Theo Danjuma
Dangote (and throw in a couple of Dantatas)
All the past Comptroller Generals of Customs
Obasanjo
Tinubu
Adenuga
Chagourys (they're Nigerians innit?)
Orji Kalu

These are just a fraction of the 100s of dollar denominated billionaires! And when you think of all the hangers on, relations, friends and kinsfolk of past leaders (owners of Nigeria) that have been given juicy billion dollar defence, customs and construction contracts......including civil/public servants that were virtual lords of the manor in the ministries and agencies they headed, only then can you begin to appreciate how much this country has lost to these thieving scum!

These are 100s of billions of dollars that could have been channelled into the construction of a super-highway network across the country; construct a bullet train network that could link cities and regions within the country......so much so that you could live in Benin or Enugu yet commute to work in Lagos every weekday; used to build world class hospitals; equip our universities to world standards, fund R&grin schemes, and pay our university lecturers competitive salaries that would serve as a magnet to attract the best minds to the country; develop a thriving tourist industry in places like Bauchi, Adamawa/Taraba, Obudu, Bonny and Badagry; construct mass housing in our major cities; build on the capacity of our power network which would in turn boost production and industry, hence creating jobs for our youth; etc-etc-etc.

Instead of the above, we have these billions of dollars sitting idle in the foreign bank accounts of these materialistic goons (or laundered in property in cities like Lagos and Abuja), waiting to be fought over and wasted by their lazy fat kids when they eventually kick the bucket in a foreign hospital from too much excess in life!

A sad commentary indeed! sad

PS- You can add to the above list of billionaires if you can think of any more!

1 Like

Re: US Ambassador Defies Forbes Lists--nigeria Had About 115 Billionaires In Dollar by BrokenTV: 4:55pm On Nov 09, 2013
musiwa I hope you know that this is not your thread or

(1) (Reply)

A Scary Picture Of Charly Boy / Gen Ojukwu’s Farewell Speech When He Left Biafra Land In January, 1970 / Former Governor Falls Victim To Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.