Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,000 members, 7,825,100 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" (1109 Views)

COZA Introduces Online Payment Of Tithes, Offerings, Seeds & Pledges / In Defence Of Tithes / Of Tithes And Offerings And Rich Preachers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by MarkMiwerds(m): 11:04pm On Nov 08, 2013
This is taken from a book written in 1657 A.D., by Anthony Pearson. The book is titled, "A Case of Tithes".
It clearly reveals, using the writings of historical characters, that the Early Church did not teach a monetary tithe, but encouraged free will offerings.
A View of the Doctrines, Decrees and Prac-
tices of Tything, from the Infancy of
the Christian Church until this Day.

But in the Fulness of Time, God raised up another Priest, Christ Jesus, who was not of the Tribe of Levi, nor consecrated after the Order of Aaron; for He pertained to another Tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the Altar, who (having obtained a more excellent Ministry, of a greater and more perfect Tabernacle, not of the former Building, being the Sum and Substance of all the Patterns of Things under the first Covenant) put an End to the first Priesthood, with all its Shadows, Figures and carnal Ordinances, and changing the Priesthood, which had a Command to take Tythes of their Brethren, there was made of Necessity also a Change of the Law, and a Disannulling of the Commandment going before, which was but imposed until the Time of Reformation.

And the Apostles and Ministers of Christ Jesus, when He had finished His Office upon Earth, by offering up Himself through the Eternal Spirit, a Sacrifice without Spot unto God, did not look back to the Ordinances of the former Priesthood, but testified an End was put unto them; and witnessed against the Temple, wherein the Priests ministered, for which Stephen was stoned to death; against Circumcision, saying, It was not that of the flesh; against the Passover, Priests, etc., and preached up Christ Jesus and His Doctrine, the new and living Way, which was not made manifest while as the first Tabernacle was standing. Nor did they go about to establish the Law by which Tythes were given in the former Priesthood, but freely they preached the Gospel which they had received, and did not require any settled Maintenance, but lived of the free Offerings and Contributions of the Saints, who by their Ministry were turned to Christ Jesus.

At Jerusalem and thereabouts, such was the Unity of Heart amongst the Saints in the Apostles Time, that all Things were in common, and none wanted; and as many as were Possessors of Lands or Houses, sold them, and brought the Price and laid it down at the Apostles Feet, and it was distributed unto every Man according as he had Need.

So the Church gathered by *Mark at Alexandrea in Egypt, followed the same Rule as the Saints did at Jerusalem, having all things in common; And Philo Judaeus a famous Author of that Time reporteth, that not only there, but in many other Provinces, the Christians lived together in Societies.

In the Churches at Antioch, the Saints possessed every Man hos own Estate; so likewise in Galatia and Corinth, where the Apostles ordained, that Weekly-Offerings for the Saints should be made by every one as God had blessed him; and by these Offerings (which were put into the hands of the Deacons of the Churches) were all the Services and Needs of the Church Supplied.

By example of these, the Course of Monthly Offerings succeeded in the next Ages, not exacted, but freely given at the Bounty of every Man, as appears plainly by Tertullian in Apologet. ch. 39. where, upbraiding the Gentiles with the Piety and Devotion of Christians, he saith, “Whatsoever we have in the Treasury of our Churches, is not raised by Taxation, as though we put Men to ransom their Religion, but every Man once a Month, or when it pleaseth himself, bestoweth what he thinks good, and not without he lusteth; for no man is compelled, but left free to his own Discretion: and that which is given is not bestowed in Vanity, but in relieving the Poor, and upon Children destitute of Parents, and Maintenance of Aged and Feeble Persons, Men wrecked by Sea, and such as are condemned to the MetalMines, banished into Islands, or cast into Prison, professing the true God and the Christian Faith.”

And this Way of Contribution continued in the Church, till the great Persecution under Maximinian and Dioclesian, about the Year 304, as Eusebius testifieth, which also appears by the Writings of Tertullian, Origen, Cyprian, and others.

About this time also, some Lands began to be given to the Church, and the Revenue of them was brought into the Treasury of the Church, and belonged to the Church in common, and was distributed as other Offerings, by the Deacons and Elders; but the Bishops or Ministers meddled not therewith: for *Origen saith, “It is not lawful for any Minister of the Church to possess Lands (given to the Church) to his own Use.” And called to the Ministers, “Let us depart from the Priests of Pharaoh, who enjoy earthly Possessions, to the Priests of the Lord, who have no Portion in the Earth.” And in another place he saith, “It behoveth us to be faithful in disposing the Rents of the Church, that we our selves devour not those Things that belong to the Widows and the Poor, and let us be content with simple Diet and necessary Apparel.” And Urban Bishop of Rome, Anno 227, did declare, “That the Church might receive Lands and Possessions offered by the Faithful, but not to any particular Man’s Benefit, but that the Revenues thereof, should be distributed as other Offerings, as Need required.”

Cyprian Bishop of Carthage, about the Year 250, also testifieth the same, and sheweth, that the Church maintained many Poor, and that her own Diet was sparing and plain, and all her Expenses full of Frugality.

**Prosper also saith, that a Minister able to live of himself, ought not to participate of the Goods of the Church; for saith he, “They that have of their own, and yet desire to have somewhat given them, do not receive it without great Sin.

The Council at Antioch, Anno 340, (finding that much Fault had been among the Deacons, to whom it properly belonged) did ordain, that the Bishops might distribute the Goods of the Church, but required that they took not any Part to themselves, or to the Use of the Priests and Brethren that lived with them, unless that Necessity did justly require it, using the Words of the Apostle, “Having Food and Raiment, be therewith content.”

In these Times, in many Places, the Christian Converts joined themselves in Societies, and chose a separate Life, selling what they had, and living together in common, after the Example of the former Saints about Jerusalem, as Chrysostom notes, who lived about the year 400, by whole Writings it also appears, that there was not the least Use or Practice of the Payment of Tythes in those former Ages.

The Church now living altogether by Free Offerings of Lands, Money and Goods, the People were much pressed to bountiful Contributions for holy Uses, as may be seen by the Writings of Hieron and Chrysostom, who brought the Jewish Liberality in their Payments of Tenths, for an Example, beneath which they would not have Christians determine their Charity; where Chrysostom says, he speaks these things not as commanding or forbidding that they should give more, yet as thinking it fit that they should not give less than the tenth Part

1 Like

Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by Furious2(m): 11:22pm On Nov 08, 2013
Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by ichuka(m): 1:07am On Nov 09, 2013
@op
great post!!but those that will argue will always do so.i really don't knw why some brethren cant see/undrstand that tithe was never part of the Gospel of Christ which is Grace!!
cheers bro!

2 Likes

Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by MarkMiwerds(m): 1:11am On Nov 09, 2013
i.chuka:
@op
great post!!but those that will argue will always do so.i really don't knw why some brethren cant see/undrstand that tithe was never part of the Gospel of Christ which is Grace!!
cheers bro!
thank you!

I really did not need this book to prove to me that we sre not required to tithe, the Bible proves that fact on its own.

But, the book confirms he fact that tithes are not required.
Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by PastorKun(m): 6:57am On Nov 09, 2013
Very interesting reading, it also exposes how low majority of our church leadership have descended compared the life of service to humanity the early church fathers lived. sad

2 Likes

Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by MarkMiwerds(m): 7:16am On Nov 09, 2013
Pastor Kun: Very interesting reading, it also exposes how low majority of our church leadership have descended compared the life of service to humanity the early church fathers lived. sad
You are absolutely right, Pastor Kun.

I have several old books that reveal the fact that the early Church never taught or collected monetary tithes.

One such book, written by John Gratton in 1703, reveals much the same as Pearson's book did in 1657 and Selden's did in 1618.

Selden did, however, teach tithes. But what He revealed was that the State had the legal right to demand tithes but not the Divine right. In other words, there was no Biblical authority for monetary tithes. His book, A Historie of Tythes, enraged the State Church and the king of England.
Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jan 20, 2015
sir I just read your article on FP and I would like to ask if you own a blog? if yes, can you share the link? many thanks sir!
Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by vooks: 1:10pm On Jan 20, 2015
The historicity of a doctrine is no proof of its accuracy but it is a good start. One should be very skeptical of NEW revelations
Many doctrines, teachings and practices fail this test; tithing,Christmas and so forth
Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by MarkMiwerds(m): 5:35pm On Jan 20, 2015
Preciousjoz:
sir I just read your article on FP and I would like to ask if you own a blog? if yes, can you share the link? many thanks sir!
whose article? You just said "Sir". There are many men on the thread.
Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jan 20, 2015
MarkMiwerds:
whose article? You just said "Sir". There are many men on the thread.
the one about tithing on TB Joshua's thread.
Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by MarkMiwerds(m): 4:22pm On Jan 21, 2015
Preciousjoz:
the one about tithing on TB Joshua's thread.
again, whose article? Not what article, but whose article?

If you are meaning me when you said Sir, yes, I do have a blog.

It is at boldproclaimer . wordpress . com
Remove the spaces
Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jan 21, 2015
MarkMiwerds:
again, whose article? Not what article, but whose article?

If you are meaning me when you said Sir, yes, I do have a blog.

It is at boldproclaimer . wordpress . com
Remove the spaces
"Ronald W Robey"

thanks for the blog site sir, I really appreciate it!
Re: Excerpt From "A Case Of Tithes" by MarkMiwerds(m): 2:49am On Jan 22, 2015
Preciousjoz:

"Ronald W Robey"

thanks for the blog site sir, I really appreciate it!
you are most certainly welcome!

(1) (Reply)

Redeemed Camp Belongs To Papa Adeboye, Not RCCG / Why Is It That The People That Testified Didn't See The SAME Heaven Or Hell / He Caught His Pastor Playing Baba Ijebu Lotto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.