Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,675 members, 7,865,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 12:50 AM

Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta (979 Views)

Buhari Meets With Julius Berger Board Of Directors (Photos) / WIKE Flags Off Operation Zero Potholes With Julius Berger In Port Harcourt. / Akpabio Opens The Abak River Bridge Constructed By Julius Berger Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 1:44pm On Jul 14, 2008
http://www.tribune.com.ng/14072008/news/news4.html

JULIUS Berger Plc. is pulling out of Niger Delta because of the deteriorating security situation there, a senior company executive said on Saturday.

Gunmen kidnapped two Germans working for the firm, the Nigerian unit of German builder, Bilfinger Berger, on Friday, blowing their armoured vehicle off the road with dynamite and killing a soldier in their convoy.

The ambush by around 15 gunmen on three senior employees, who were travelling in armoured jeeps accompanied by 28 soldiers, had been so brutal that there was no alternative but to suspend operations, the company official said.

"The current security environment makes it impossible for us to continue our operations in the Niger Delta and to protect our employees," he told Reuters, asking not to be named for security reasons while staff were being pulled out.

"Since yesterday, we have already stopped at our three major sites.”

Friday's attack was the latest on expatriates working in the Niger Delta, which has become notorious for kidnappings and raids on oil sites since militants launched a campaign of sabotage two years ago.

The decision by Julius Berger which is listed in Nigeria and 49 per cent owned by Bilfinger Berger is seen by observers as an embarrassment for the government of President Umaru Yar'Adua, who is under international pressure to end insecurity in the delta.

It will also hamper the much-needed development in the region, which Yar'Adua has made one of the cornerstones of his efforts to address the causes of the unrest.

Among other projects, Julius Berger is rebuilding the main east-west road across the Niger Delta and is one of Nigeria's biggest private sector employers, with more than 16,000 staff.

The company executive said operations in the Delta area would be suspended "indefinitely." Around 50 expatriates and hundreds of local employees would be affected.

"This is not just for the safety of expatriate staff. It is for everyone, black and white. One of our drivers was shot recently," he said.

The bombing of oil pipelines by militants has cut the country's oil output by around a fifth since early 2006, helping to drive global crude prices to record highs.

Oil firms including Royal Dutch Shell and Exxon Mobil, have relocated non-essential staff from the region to Lagos in recent years for security resources.

President Yar'Adua has pledged a two-pronged approach, saying he would not tolerate the presence of armed groups but also saying he wanted to address the frustrations of impoverished communities by developing local infrastructure.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 1:46pm On Jul 14, 2008
In many cases, the big losers here are the indigenous workers who will find themselves out of a job.

As far as i know, MEND has made no move to compensate the hundreds of Niger Delta workers laid off when Wilbros pulled out.

For those crusaders here, can anyone tell me anything MEND has done for the people of Niger Delta. I mean, we all know that Hezbollah in Lebanon builds schools and hospitals and houses, provides loans and security, etc.

What has MEND done?
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 14, 2008
I think the Niger Delta folks are telling us something, its about time we reverted to a true fiscal federalism . . . this crisis has exposed a huge shame . . . the entire country from kontangora to Epe relies on 100% oil!
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by ono(m): 2:24pm On Jul 14, 2008
I gathered some hoodlums from neighbouring Abia, Edo and Imo States often come to the core delta states to perpetrate heinous crimes.

Aside from the fact that there are genuine agitators whose activities are in line with the general views and wishes of well meaning Niger Delta people, there is no gainsaying the fact that a large population of miscreants from other states have effectively hijacked the struggle.

The other day, a 22 year-old boy from somewhere in Aba, Abia state was arrested for kidnapping a 5 year old kid in Portharcourt! Also, I read in some papers that there are indeed criminal elements ''breeding'' seriously in the creeks of the delta - Mixed Multitudes!

I suggest a crack unit of the Police force be drafted to the Delta to fish out hoodlums from elsewhere who are doing all they can to rubbish the real struggles of our people.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by buchio7(m): 6:56pm On Jul 14, 2008
the main culprits are the niger-delta politicians who fund such crooks to perpetuate there own selfish whims, even if other criminals frm other states are causing havoc, i remember in ibo land there is an adage that says " it is the house cat that told the street cat that there is a fish in the house"

dont go trying to involve other ppl in a problem that has metamorphosed to a larger cancer by the indigenes
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by bibiking1(m): 7:17pm On Jul 14, 2008
I have said it over and over again that the various militant groups in the Niger-Delta should be approached with violence and force that they understand. They have become just rogues and bandits, profiting from a cause that was promoted by serious people seeking genuine salvation.
MEND or whatever they call themselves have become a threat to the peace and security of the country. They are internal aggressors, and the Job of the Army is to protect the country against external and internal aggression. the full force of the ever-reliable Nigerian Army should be unleashed on those sick and greedy things, that call themselves militants!
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by jokeapart: 9:33pm On Jul 14, 2008
davidylan:

I think the Niger Delta folks are telling us something, its about time we reverted to a true fiscal federalism . . . this crisis has exposed a huge shame . . . the entire country from kontangora to Epe relies on 100% oil!
I agree with you totally.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by debosky(m): 9:39pm On Jul 14, 2008
davidylan:

Is it fiscal federalism that led to them attacking Julius Berger workers building a highway for their use? undecided

I don't buy Ono's claim of it being miscreants from other states - if its kidnapping, I can believe that, but who else knows the movements of people in remote locations in the Niger Delta except for indigenes themselves? Your post seems to imply that the miscreants are from other states, not from the 'core delta states' which is a bold faced lie - this kind of criminality against the general good is what should be roundly condemned by ND people, instead you excuse it as the work of outsiders.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by McKren(m): 10:46pm On Jul 14, 2008
Ono stop hating!!!!!!!!!!

You can do better than that.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by naijaway(m): 10:51pm On Jul 14, 2008
This is and many more of their actions proves that these people are very ignorant and need to be evacuated to the nearest schools. Instead of them to have their own construction companies inorder to bite in the big deals coming their way, they(with the blessings of their chiefs) have decided to be ignorant and arrogant.  
 When travelling to the east by road we go through delta, so I am not in support of them having the state and all in it just to them. Eventhough, there are lots of igbos in delta state way before the oil discoveries especially from Asaba down to onitsha. They should relax, work, and supervise the communities while holding the government's feet to the fire based on their promises.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by Queenisha: 12:55am On Jul 15, 2008
ono:

I gathered some hoodlums from neighbouring Abia, Edo and Imo States often come to the core delta states to perpetrate heinous crimes.

Aside from the fact that there are genuine agitators whose activities are in line with the general views and wishes of well meaning Niger Delta people, there is no gainsaying the fact that a large population of miscreants from other states have effectively hijacked the struggle.

The other day, a 22 year-old boy from somewhere in Aba, Abia state was arrested for kidnapping a 5 year old kid in Portharcourt! Also, I read in some papers that there are indeed criminal elements ''breeding'' seriously in the creeks of the delta - Mixed Multitudes!

I suggest a crack unit of the Police force be drafted to the Delta to fish out hoodlums from elsewhere who are doing all they can to rubbish the real struggles of our people.

Keep pointing fingers at everyone else but your own brethren and keep "hearing"
very soon you'll tell us about the men from neighbouring Akwa Ibom ,Enugu and Ebonyi states that are impregnating your women.
nkita!
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by RichyBlacK(m): 2:00am On Jul 15, 2008
ono:

ono,

I'm sure you know that this your proposal doesn't make much sense.

Are you saying that the police should only "fish out hoodlums from elsewhere" but allow hoodlums from the "core delta states" to continue their mayhem?

OR

Are you implying that all hoodlums in the Niger Delta are from "elsewhere"?
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by ono(m): 8:30am On Jul 15, 2008
empty.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by ono(m): 8:41am On Jul 15, 2008
I had a discussion around this Julius Berger matter with my Ijaw friend from Oporoma yesterday. We find it difficult to comprehend why indigenes of an area, whose means of livelihood companies are trying to enhance, will suddenly pounce on a company and destroy their equipment without any form of provocation. Its sheer devilment! And I do not think our people are that cruel. I suspect foul play. The way and manner the kidnapping was done, the killing of security personnel and blowing up of armoured vehicles with dynamites beats me.

Someone is trying to force Julius Berger out so that the contract can be awarded to his own company!

I still insist that we have mixed multitudes fomenting trouble in the Niger Delta, and they are from the outside.
But, why should I bother much. The State security apparatus cannot even cater for the needs of people in the country. How do they plan to effectively curb the criminal trends in the Niger Delta?! The army guys drafted to the delta to protect oil facilities are themselves into bunkering of the highest order. They even offer protection for bunkerers. The whole place is littered with all manner of persons with one form of interest or another. I am waiting for a ray of light at the end of the tunnel.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by buchio7(m): 9:56am On Jul 15, 2008
@ ono

does matching ground,bush entry , youth settlement sound familiar to you? dese are avenues most communities in the niger delta use to frustrate ppl frm working , so dont be pointing fingers at other places, it is hellish working in the region, i am nt surprised by julius bergers action because the ppl can really be troublesome,

so dont start looking for conspiracy thoeries to back ur argument
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by ono(m): 11:33am On Jul 15, 2008
All you have up there aren't exclusive to the Niger Delta alone. It's all over the place. . . . . .David indeed hit the nail on the head with a loud thud when he said we aren't practising true federalism in this country. That's the main issue on ground.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by McKren(m): 12:28pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ono

its amazing that it took you 4 posts to attempt to discuss issues rather than point fingers.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by otokx(m): 1:23pm On Jul 15, 2008
How many niger delta people did julius berger or any other foreign company employ. Take a statistic of the people then you will understand that their leaving will not really put the indigenes into more misery. For those advocating for a violent solution, you should note that those 3 expatriates had about 30 soldiers allocated to them yet, about 15 people were able to neutralize them. Have you even stopped to ask who foots the bills of soldiers allocated to these various foreign firms?
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by diggler(m): 2:04pm On Jul 15, 2008
ono:

LMFAO

Crack ke, Sure, All doped up on Crack you mean.

I aint from d Niger delta but, The blood of d ppl of Odi is still cryin
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 3:15pm On Jul 15, 2008
otokx:

How many niger delta people did julius berger or any other foreign company employ. Take a statistic of the people then you will understand that their leaving will not really put the indigenes into more misery. For those advocating for a violent solution, you should note that those 3 expatriates had about 30 soldiers allocated to them yet, about 15 people were able to neutralize them. Have you even stopped to ask who foots the bills of soldiers allocated to these various foreign firms?

is that what you think?
There's no foreign company in the ND that does not employ a sizeable number of indigenes, whether in casual jobs or in sensitive positions. And in a country where teachers can be paid N8000 monthly, even a security guard in julius Berger will not thank you for taking his job away.
By all means, provide statistics to back up your claims.

otokx:

For those advocating for a violent solution, you should note that those 3 expatriates had about 30 soldiers allocated to them yet, about 15 people were able to neutralize them.
There's a reason why the word 'ambush' is in the english dictionary. ditto 'element of surprise'.

otokx:

Have you even stopped to ask who foots the bills of soldiers allocated to these various foreign firms?
The companies request the service of security agencies. Why would anyone question who pays the bills, when your Government is holding seminars overseas appealing for foreign investment in Nigeria, and promising security for any such investors. It smacks of mischief to even bring up this point.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 3:21pm On Jul 15, 2008
We've heard enough of MEND drawing attention to the plight of the ND people.

1) We've also heard people here saying that the ijaw oil is being stolen from them by the federal govt. Considering the fact that these same millitant groups bunker hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil daily, how much have they contributed to development of their own people?
If MEND themselves are involved in bunkering the oil, aren't they stealing from the ND too, since the fruits of the bunkering are not manifesting in their people?

2) Since MEND claims to be lords of the waterways and masters of their terrain, why are so many rogue groups operating with impunity? Can they claim to have no knowledge or responsibility for the attacks in the region

3) Is it fair to continually throw up Saro-Wiwa et all as Martyrs of the 'cause', while ignoring the innocent civillians that have been killed by MEND and Ateke Tom's activities? Do the 5 people killed by Ateke's boys on New year day not have mothers too? Or is there a yardstick for human life?

Someone please answer these question, especially to point out ANYTHING MEND have done for the people of the ND. Shebi i don give example of Hezbollah since?
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by buchio7(m): 3:45pm On Jul 15, 2008
texazzpete:

We've heard enough of MEND drawing attention to the plight of the ND people.

1) We've also heard people here saying that the ijaw oil is being stolen from them by the federal govt. Considering the fact that these same millitant groups bunker hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil daily, how much have they contributed to development of their own people?
If MEND themselves are involved in bunkering the oil, aren't they stealing from the ND too, since the fruits of the bunkering are not manifesting in their people?

2) Since MEND claims to be lords of the waterways and masters of their terrain, why are so many rogue groups operating with impunity? Can they claim to have no knowledge or responsibility for the attacks in the region

3) Is it fair to continually throw up Saro-Wiwa et all as Martyrs of the 'cause', while ignoring the innocent civillians that have been killed by MEND and Ateke Tom's activities? Do the 5 people killed by Ateke's boys on New year day not have mothers too? Or is there a yardstick for human life?

Someone please answer these question, especially to point out ANYTHING MEND have done for the people of the ND. Shebi i don give example of Hezbollah since?

Good points all the way.

the poster started by initially pointing fingers at every other state as sources of criminals causing havoc rather than start frm the immediate militias who have grown wealthy by milking the same resource they are crying wolf abt to d detriment of there ppl,

bunkerers are the immediate cause of the insecurity within the region but they nw masquerade as freedom fighters to give themselves a "corporate" look,

how can u be fighting to "free" ur ppl while on the other hand chasing away the companies as well as development that could come to the land to better d lot of the same ppl , ?
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by ono(m): 4:02pm On Jul 15, 2008
There's no reason for one to go emotional here. Good things dont come easy. That's why the struggles continue until such a time that we get what we want.

I have stated earlier on that the main problem here is the ''ojoro'' system of government we are practicing. And when we bring this up, some of you guys say ''allowing'' the Delta people have what's due them will make them exterminate each other and other bla bla bla talks.

Practice true Federalism, and lets see if there won't be calm in the delta. Lets see if MEND will not dissapear into thin air. Lets see if there will be any Ateke Tom anywhere. Practice true fiscal federalism, and lets take it up from there.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by buchio7(m): 4:12pm On Jul 15, 2008
Niger delta ppl shd first of all start holding there leaders accountable for there actions or inactions in government, because even if there is true federalism and u have the wrong set of leaders in power the same cycle will still play out i.e. under development,funding militias,looting of tresuries e.t.c.

why is it that d best estates in abj now are owned by past niger-delta governors? when dat money was meant to develope there states

ur leaders are a problem
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by ono(m): 4:16pm On Jul 15, 2008
McKren:

Ono

its amazing that it took you 4 posts to attempt to discuss issues rather than point fingers.

And what are you insinuating here? What meaningful contributions have you made to the discussion so far?
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by ono(m): 4:23pm On Jul 15, 2008
Leadership problem is a general problem in Nigeria. It's not exclusive to the Niger Delta alone. OBJ (in the SouthWest) just finished ''commissioning'' the Hiltop Mansion at Abeokuta. He has several hundreds of plots of land at Abuja Maitama districts. Alao Akala is a thug. What is the name of the one in Ekiti? Thesame goes for the governors in the S/East. Egwu of Ebonyi I understand used all the money allocated to his state to fund Presidential Election runs.

The bearded sharia enforcer in the North was recently accused of mass-looting Zamfara state treasury. What about the pastor-governor at Taraba?

Don't bring leadership problems to the fore as if it's exclusive to us in the Delta. It's all over Nigeria.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by McKren(m): 4:25pm On Jul 15, 2008
And what are you insinuating here? What meaningful contributions have you made to the discussion so far?

My point is the group of people you are so quick to abuse and hate will be the first set of people to vote for true fedralism if we are lucky to have a referendum on true fedralism.

So stop hating, think broadly and wider.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by ono(m): 4:28pm On Jul 15, 2008
@McKren,
No wahala. One love.
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 4:39pm On Jul 15, 2008
ono:

Leadership problem is a general problem in Nigeria. It's not exclusive to the Niger Delta alone. OBJ (in the SouthWest) just finished ''commissioning'' the Hiltop Mansion at Abeokuta. He has several hundreds of plots of land at Abuja Maitama districts. Alao Akala is a thug. What is the name of the one in Ekiti? Thesame goes for the governors in the S/East. Egwu of Ebonyi I understand used all the money allocated to his state to fund Presidential Election runs.

The bearded sharia enforcer in the North was recently accused of mass-looting Zamfara state treasury. What about the pastor-governor at Taraba?

Don't bring leadership problems to the fore as if it's exclusive to us in the Delta. It's all over Nigeria.
Excellent!
So leadership problem is not exclusive to ND states. fair enough. but what is exclusive is the violence and unrest arising from the aforementioned failed leadership.
People are holding the federal government to task for the excesses of the state government. Is that fair? Are the people of Ebonyi or Zamfara holding the federal govt responsible?

My home state of Edo is in a serious state of neglect and disrepair thanks to the inaction of Lucky Igbinedion (Curses be Upon Him!). Do you see people lamenting and blaming the federal government? at least we know enough to lay the blame on Lucky (Curses be Upon Him!)

Hold the right people to task. it's shocking that in this day and age people expect foreign companies in the ND to carry out duties reserved for local governments
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by otokx(m): 5:20pm On Jul 15, 2008
there is violence everyday in lagos state even kidnapping so what is that guy saying? All these multinationals will employ other people in top management and then give one or two indigenes gate man plus cleaner abeg make we hear word. Enough is enough make them waka. Those soldiers you may wish to know are now on the payroll of them oil companies and they are the ones making sure that this insecurity continues abi is our governor that when to buy arms for the militants all the way from kaduna?
Re: Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta by buchio7(m): 6:18pm On Jul 15, 2008
@texazzpette

bros thank you jare,

d less emphasis dese guys pay in holding dere leaders to task is very sad, dis issue dat "give me d resource and dont bother urself how it is spent" is just reeking stupidity.

if d state govt in bayelsa had provided a road frm oporoma to yenagoa or frm sangana to brass and yenagoa would d problems facing d ppl not have been less,

wat will it cost a rivers state govt to provide health care in ngo or in ka? but dey wld rather spend it buying private jets for d state or buying 8 range rover jeeps dat will cater for d gov,his wife,speaker e.t.c.

and d best excuse someone can say on dis thread is dat it is happening every where else, undecided undecided

if ur leaders cant handle d much given so far how can dey handle d gamut of total fund to be released when ur federalism u r postulating for comes in to effect?

u guys need to clean up ur act rather dan looking for fall guys.

(1) (Reply)

Is The Supposed Governor Of Cross River State, Liyel Imoke On Leave? / Ghost Worker Phenomenon As Bastion Of Treasury Looting / Police Brutalty In G20 Meeting Kills Man - Ian Tomlison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.