Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

ASUU Strike; "How Soon Is Soon" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike; "How Soon Is Soon" (1484 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike; "How Soon Is Soon" by Kelvin0(m): 11:44am On Nov 09, 2013
The word “SOON” according to the oxford advanced learners dictionary implies something occurring within a short time or quickly. However in the Nigerian polity it might mean something a bit different.

It is no longer news that university lecturers under the aegis of ASUU, embarked on a nationwide industrial action, since July 01 2013. The outcome of this we cannot over emphasize.

Prior to this time the Presidency in an effort to find a lasting solution to the lingering ASUU strike, had set up a NEEDS assessment committee headed by the governor of Benue state Mr. Gabriel Suswam , in line with the agreement reached between the federal government of Nigeria, Academic staff of Nigerian Universities (ASUU), Non-Academic staff unions and other stakeholders in the Nations Education Sector. To revitalize the Nigerian tertiary institution for a robust and healthy development of Education.

Since the commencement of the strike in July, many Newspaper headlines has carried speculations that the strike would be called off SOON. Even the media has made a full caricature of the situation as bloggers and website owners had taken the opportunity to popularize their trade, whilst writing thought provoking articles on the federal government vs ASUU impasse. Google search query “ASUU STRIKE LATEST” has also become the top search query and the students also; not leaving them behind has also cracked silly jokes as regarding the issue.

As the strike approaches day 132 i can’t help but wonder why a country like Nigeria, termed as the giant of Africa, would treat such matters as education with levity and allow its tertiary education to freeze for as long as 4 months and still politicize the issue. This only goes further to justify the saying that “wherever two elephants meets to fight the grass will always suffer the most loss”.

The federal government and ASUU should please look for a common ground to thread upon and make sure they resolve this issue once and for all and stop dashing the hopes of Nigerian students…….. and they should also remember that Jesus Christ is also coming SOON. I rest my case!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike; "How Soon Is Soon" by Nobody: 2:25pm On Nov 09, 2013
Sooner than soon.
Re: ASUU Strike; "How Soon Is Soon" by kcy(m): 4:35pm On Nov 09, 2013
jesus is cming SOON
Re: ASUU Strike; "How Soon Is Soon" by dammzy: 7:48pm On Nov 09, 2013
Help mi ask dem oh..... person don tire
Re: ASUU Strike; "How Soon Is Soon" by Kelvin0(m): 11:26am On Nov 10, 2013
I love and care about my country, but the question is " does my country love n care about me" ?
Re: ASUU Strike; "How Soon Is Soon" by Dubemkelly(m): 1:46pm On Nov 10, 2013
Like d holy scripture says He's coming soon n here we r still waiting 4 His arrival...in same vein let's wait 4 ASUU,it wud be called off soon,dat am sure about
Re: ASUU Strike; "How Soon Is Soon" by Kelvin0(m): 7:33pm On Nov 11, 2013
Dubemkelly: Like d holy scripture says He's coming soon n here we r still waiting 4 His arrival...in same vein let's wait 4 ASUU,it wud be called off soon,dat am sure about
lets jez hope so o.........am kinda getting tired of hearing that "S" word. I ain't gonna believe any sh*t until I see myself back in school receiving lectures or writing my second semester exams
Re: ASUU Strike; "How Soon Is Soon" by Raphvizzy(m): 3:30pm On Nov 16, 2013
would like soon to bi soon bt this leaders of both fg/ASUU are really mk our life unbearable

(1) (Reply)

5 Ways To Make Money As A Student / Unizik Admission List Out(first Batch) / Sociology Department Produced The First "FIRST CLASS" GRADUATE After 33 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.