Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? (1261 Views)

Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides-the Nation / Ben Brice Reacts To #8.4billion Naira Wardrobe Allowance / "President Jonathan Is Chairman Of Boko Haram" - Maiduguri Truck Drivers To BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by Jekanmo: 5:44pm On Nov 11, 2013
The Lagos State Government says it would begin enforcement of a section of the road traffic law which restricts commuter bus drivers from driving for more than eight hours at a stretch daily.

Commissioner for Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa disclosed this at the weekend at a news conference heralding the National Council on Transportation conference which kicked off today and would end on Friday at the Lagos City Hall, Lagos, southwest Nigeria.

According to Opeifa, section 44 of the Road Traffic Law bars commuter bus drivers from driving  for eight hours at a stretch, saying that government would begin enforcement of the new law in January 2014.
He said many commuter bus drivers did not know that such a pprovision exists in the traffic law, saying that the next phase is to register all commuter bus drivers, conductors and owners of such vehicles so that through the registration, the drivers could be monitored effectively to ensure compliance with the 8 hours work rule and other aspects of the traffic law.

•A commuter bus, popularly known as Danfo, along Agidingbi road this morning

Opeifa warned that by January next year, government would not have mercy on any bus driver who failed to register, as his vehicle would be impounded for breaching the traffic law.

“With the development, no driver would be allowed to drive beyond 8 hours at a stretch, while owners of the commercial vehicles would be made to get insurance that >>>> http://www.gistjoint.com/2013/11/breaking-news-govt-restricts-danfo.html?m=1

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by Mynd44: 7:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
Okay calm down....this is a good idea cos when fatigue sets in, they turn to stimulants and alcohol but how will they implement it?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by Boss13: 7:16pm On Nov 11, 2013
Anything to curb the menace of bus drivers is a welcome development
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by mekaboy(m): 7:22pm On Nov 11, 2013
no be Nigeria again? how will dey know who drove 8 hrs straight?

if I have a bus and have 2 drivers and conductors. one team works for 8hrs and hands over to the next for the next shift. will they arrest those working the second shift?

I know the main aim behind this is the money they will get from registration.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by ba7man(m): 7:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
mekaboy: no be Nigeria again? how will dey know who drove 8 hrs straight?

if I have a bus and have 2 drivers and conductors. one team works for 8hrs and hands over to the next for the next shift. will they arrest those working the second shift?

You don't know sh*t.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 11, 2013
mekaboy:

Of course, and that is why their so-called "Mega City" illusion is a sad joke. Every initiative is driven by pecuniary motives rather than by genuine public interest.

I heard they've now stopped registering taxis unless you buy brand new cars from their accredited agents (at grossly inflated prices) - the so-called metro cabs that charge ridiculous fares for short-haul journeys. Yet, this is the same government that claims it is serious about solving the transportation crisis in the state. Bunch of greedy, exploitative cows.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by mekaboy(m): 8:30pm On Nov 11, 2013
just like they said pple should stop building houses on weekends. its houses built on weekends that collapse.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by taharqa: 8:35pm On Nov 11, 2013
mekaboy: no be Nigeria again? how will dey know who drove 8 hrs straight?

lol....grin
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by Rad1cal: 8:38pm On Nov 11, 2013
mekaboy: just like they said pple should stop building houses on weekends. its houses built on weekends that collapse.

Yeepa !! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by geeez: 8:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
The ubiquitous danfo buses are very obnoxious and they are mostly an eyesore and epitomize recklessness

Government should let bus owners form cooperatives and invest in BRT buses

LAMATA should thereafter be responsible for ensuring only buses that meet a minimum requirement in terms of functionality and aesthetics are allowed to ply the roads

By now, Lagos, Ogun or Oyo State should have partnered with the bus manufacturers and invested in the construction of assembly plants and source some parts locally
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by mekaboy(m): 8:51pm On Nov 11, 2013
geeez: The ubiquitous danfo buses are very obnoxious and they are mostly an eyesore and epitomize recklessness

Government should let bus owners form cooperatives and invest in BRT buses

LAMATA should thereafter be responsible for ensuring only buses that meet a minimum requirement in terms of functionality and aesthetics are allowed to ply the roads

By now, Lagos, Ogun or Oyo State should have partnered with the bus manufacturers and invested in the construction of assembly plants and source some parts locally

Why wont they patronize innoson?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by geeez: 8:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
mekaboy:

What is Innoson?

Assembled Chinese cars rebranded

If Enugu government isn't patronizing them, why should Yoruba governments

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by naptu2: 8:58pm On Nov 11, 2013
Mynd_44: Okay calm down....this is a good idea cos when fatigue sets in, they turn to stimulants and alcohol but how will they implement it?

It's possible, through registration. Each driver and conductor will be registered, right? (I also hear that they'll wear uniforms). So their shift will be indicated on their registration card. Anybody working outside their shift will be prosecuted.

It'll work if they use the method above, but it'll also raise questions like, what happens on "unusual days" when the driver has to vary his schedule because he has to tend to someone who is ill, or other such unusual circumstances.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by Mynd44: 9:15pm On Nov 11, 2013
naptu2:

It's possible, through registration. Each driver and conductor will be registered, right? (I also hear that they'll wear uniforms). So their shift will be indicated on their registration card. Anybody working outside their shift will be prosecuted.

It'll work if they use the method above, but it'll also raise questions like, what happens on "unusual days" when the driver has to vary his schedule because he has to tend to someone who is ill, or other such unusual circumstances.
You just raised my fears. I think I will sit and wait until more information is passed
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by mekaboy(m): 9:20pm On Nov 11, 2013
naptu2:

so how do they know when the 8hrs is due? assuming the driver starts by 1 then 8 is due time. what if he starts work late that day around 5?

then u will see drivers having multiple uniforms. someone will wear uniform with another persons id and the other person will be caught.

you will even see latsma taking bribe to allow pple with fake uniforms to work.

its just all about money, the cant maintain the policy. since they cant ban danfor, let them make money from them.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by CyberG: 9:26pm On Nov 11, 2013
mekaboy:

so how do they know when the 8hrs is due? assuming the driver starts by 1 then 8 is due time. what if he starts work late that day around 5?

then u will see drivers having multiple uniforms. someone will wear uniform with another persons id and the other person will be caught.

you will even see latsma taking bribe to allow pple with fake uniforms to work.

its just all about money, the cant maintain the policy. since they cant ban danfor, let them make money from them.

Well, no need to be pessimistic because you worry that order can not be introduced into any system! It can, the whiteman introduced order, Nigeria had some form of order in Buhari's time and there surely was a lot of orderliness in the days of Chief Awolowo as Premier of the Western Region. Poverty and lack of good example has created in your mind and most Nigerians that things can not work in an orderly fashion in Nigeria but it will and in the South West, there will be order at any price! In the worst case scenario, people who cannot live within laws and order can move to any of the other states outside the South West.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by CyberG: 9:31pm On Nov 11, 2013
mekaboy:

They will patronize whoever brings the biggest value to their states and people! The US (and other progressive states) did not just patronize companies in the US (their own country) when there were more competitive options in China and other countries. If Innoson is so competitive and provides the best bang for the buck, any state even foreign countries will patronize it. If the government of the state in which it pays taxes, hires people and in which it sited its operations do not buy its products exclusively, then it means something is not competitive or not right with it. You cannot shift any requirements to the Yoruba South West by any means because last time I checked, there are far bigger conglomerates in automobile sales, service and manufacturing in the SW than in the SE: CFAO (Molade Okoya Thomas), Elizade, Leyland, etc (all owned and in the South West).
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by theoctopus: 9:35pm On Nov 11, 2013
CyberG:

They will patronize whoever brings the biggest value to their states and people! The US (and other progressive states) did not just patronize companies in the US (their own country) when there were more competitive options in China and other countries. If Innoson is so competitive and provides the best bang for the buck, any state even foreign countries will patronize it. If the government of the state in which it pays taxes, hires people and in which it sited its operations do not buy its products exclusively, then it means something is not competitive or not right with it. You cannot shift any requirements to the Yoruba South West by any means because last time I checked, there are far bigger conglomerates in automobile sales, service and manufacturing in the SW than in the SE: CFAO (Molade Okoya Thomas), Elizade, Leyland, etc (all owned and in the South West).

Non of the companies you mentioned assemble or manufacture cars like innosson. They are just importers
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by mekaboy(m): 9:39pm On Nov 11, 2013
CyberG:

Well, no need to be pessimistic because you worry that order can not be introduced into any system! It can, the whiteman introduced order, Nigeria had some form of order in Buhari's time and there surely was a lot of orderliness in the days of Chief Awolowo as Premier of the Western Region. Poverty and lack of good example has created in your mind and most Nigerians that things can not work in an orderly fashion in Nigeria but it will and in the South West, there will be order at any price! In the worst case scenario, people who cannot live within laws and order can move to any of the other states outside the South West.

order can not be introduced when those meant to enforce the order r currupt and orderless themselves.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by CyberG: 9:42pm On Nov 11, 2013
theoctopus:

Non of the companies you mentioned assemble or manufacture cars like innosson. They are just importers

Leyland is assembling like Innoson but the are more interested in big trucks and buses, not cars. I know their headquarters in Ibadan, Oyo State. Also, I know that Innoson is also an importer of knocked-down parts which it assembles - NOT manufacturing - let us get the difference clear and one is not better than the order from a business standpoint: they are doing what is most profitable for their businesses. Toyota (which Elizade I think is their representative in Nigeria) thinks its most profitable for them to sell fully assembled Toyotas from South Africa or wherever, that is their business decision and the only thing that could change that are either: a significant change in the economics of local manufacturing (market forces) that is such that they are able to make more profit if they shift their assembly plant to Nigeria or government policy - which the new Segun Aganga initiated reform program (under the current Jonathan government) has now done.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by CyberG: 9:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
mekaboy:

order can not be introduced when those meant to enforce the order r currupt and orderless themselves.

Who are the corrupt in this case? Maybe at the FG level, there can be no order because GEJ is currently harbouring corrupt persons like Oduah, Maduekwe, Iweala, etc in his government or some of the PDP states where there is nothing on ground that the people can even see as any evidence of an existing government. While the Lagos and SW states still have a long way to go, there is no part of the country doing as well as any of those states and it is very possible that there is corruption among some of their officials. However, how can anyone blame them since they don't even have the powers to prosecute and fight corruption: EFCC and Police are controlled by GEJ under whom corruption is now a runaway phenomenon!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by mekaboy(m): 9:57pm On Nov 11, 2013
CyberG:

Who are the corrupt in this case? Maybe at the FG level, there can be no order because GEJ is currently harbouring corrupt persons like Oduah, Maduekwe, Iweala, etc in his government or some of the PDP states where there is nothing on ground that the people can even see as any evidence of an existing government. While the Lagos and SW states still have a long way to go, there is no part of the country doing as well as any of those states and it is very possible that there is corruption among some of their officials. However, how can anyone blame them since they don't even have the powers to prosecute and fight corruption: EFCC and Police are controlled by GEJ under whom corruption is now a runaway phenomenon!

LASTMA, Omonile etc. All the agboro groups.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by CyberG: 10:09pm On Nov 11, 2013
mekaboy:

LASTMA, Omonile etc. All the agboro groups.

If the Police (the prime example of order under the FG GEJ) is corrupt, can you blame LASTMA? No system is perfect and I don't think there is need to throw the baby out with the water, I hope LASTMA gets better. Rome was not built in a day. Omonile cannot be corrupt, they own the land on which you walk but are not give 13% derivation like oil producing companies. If you people will support and fight for regionalism, you can be sure that you will never have to worry about Omonile anymore because we can all truly occupy our resources!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by mekaboy(m): 10:22pm On Nov 11, 2013
CyberG:

If the Police (the prime example of order under the FG GEJ) is corrupt, can you blame LASTMA? No system is perfect and I don't think there is need to throw the baby out with the water, I hope LASTMA gets better. Rome was not built in a day. Omonile cannot be corrupt, they own the land on which you walk but are not give 13% derivation like oil producing companies. If you people will support and fight for regionalism, you can be sure that you will never have to worry about Omonile anymore because we can all truly occupy our resources!

The govt which gej is incharge of owns all the land in Nigeria. And if u do anyhow, you will get ur own share of SOE.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? by shaqoloye(m): 10:30pm On Nov 11, 2013
ba7man: You don't know sh*t.

He knows more than shit!!!! He is making sense despite the fact dat I love Fashola n APC

(1) (Reply)

Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division / The Chronicle Of Lamentations According To The Book Of PDP By The e-rats & Birds / VP Namadi Sambo Jittery Over Mass Defection From PDP To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.