Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

17 Die At Prayer Session - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 17 Die At Prayer Session (1024 Views)

Finally! The Pope Agrees With Muslims “Jesus Did Not Die At The Cross” / 14-days Prayer Session For Nigeria : People, We Need To Pray-day 7 / Why Do We Die At An Early Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

17 Die At Prayer Session by smile4kenn(m): 8:03am On Jul 16, 2008
About 17 persons were alleged to have died in mysterious circumstances during a church prayer session in a private home at Umuoluihe in Alaoma community near Omoba in Isialangwa South Local Government Area of Abia State.
THISDAY gathered that the calamity involving members of a Pentecostal church actually occurred on Saturday in a locked house but the unfortunate incident came to light on Monday following the anxiety of a man whose wife attended the prayer session but did not return.
It was further gathered that the prayer session was organised by one of the victims and the zonal coordinator of the church, one Martin Iheukwumere, who had invited his fellow faithful for the family deliverance in his newly built house, said to be haunted by evil spirits.
The prayer session was said to have begun about 11.00 pm on Friday and ended at about 2 am Saturday but tragedy struck as the prayer warriors were waiting for day break before departing for their various homes.
However, an unconfirmed source said immediately after the prayer session, a mighty wind took over the newly built house and sent the people inside crashing on the floor with many losing their lives.
It was further gathered that barely few hours after the mysterious deaths, the remains which were said to have been burnt, had already been infested by maggots, while the whole area oozed with the stench of the dead.

Prayer pass prayer, undecided
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by smile4kenn(m): 8:03am On Jul 16, 2008
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by Rapsody(m): 2:50pm On Jul 16, 2008
shocked lipsrsealed undecided cry
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by Bolarge(m): 3:03pm On Jul 16, 2008
wtf?!
undecided undecided undecided
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by SeanT21(f): 3:33pm On Jul 16, 2008
r.i.p
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by tpia: 9:21pm On Jul 16, 2008
I just read about this. shocked shocked sad

The way the incident was described, sounds more like a bomb blast, in my opinion.

Mighty wind shaking the building, bodies tossed to and fro, etc etc. That happens when a bomb explodes.

I hope people know how to investigate this case. Nothing esoteric there- its just plain murder.

Unless it was a generator explosion.

may they RIP. sad
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by AKO1(m): 9:46pm On Jul 16, 2008
nairaland.:

lier

What a first post. . . . . . and username!!!  grin grin grin
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by tpia: 9:49pm On Jul 16, 2008
abi oh.

I already posted somewhere else as soon as I noticed him, so he can follow me there. undecided

People just like bringing curses on themselves sha.  A thread about 17 people dying at the same time, and this one is here making irrelevant posts.

Those who died are someone's relatives o. undecided

I feel sorry for this nairaland user id, whoever he or she is. undecided
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by huxley(m): 10:50pm On Jul 16, 2008
Nothing fails like prayers smiley smiley
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by lucabrasi(m): 1:40am On Jul 17, 2008
huxley:

Nothing fails like prayers smiley smiley
dude,im really dissappointed in that comment you just made,from your posts on this section of nland im guessing you are a devout muslim,and im sure the islamic religion doesnt teach you to mock people with this kind of sad occurence,there s a limit to religious fanatism sad
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by Queenisha: 1:44am On Jul 17, 2008
tpia:

I just read about this. shocked shocked sad

The way the incident was described, sounds more like a bomb blast, in my opinion.

Mighty wind shaking the building, bodies tossed to and fro, etc etc. That happens when a bomb explodes.

I hope people know how to investigate this case. Nothing esoteric there- its just plain murder.

Unless it was a generator explosion.

may they RIP. sad

and the maggots nko?
the story sounds incredible.
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by debosky(m): 1:52am On Jul 17, 2008
I suspect they died from carbon monoxide poisoning, and were not found till much later. The death from that gas occurs slowly, you think you are sleeping off, and then you never awaken. sad

All that stuff about a heavy wind blowing and all that may be false. If a generator was in use, monoxide poisoning would be my first guess. The story about maggots? Well who knows? Strange things do happen at times.

It may also have been something structurally failing in the building (like a pillar collapsing) that may have caused the feeling of a heavy wind.

It may well have been something occult too. . . I never scoff at that.
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by tpia: 2:12am On Jul 17, 2008
It could also be carbon monoxide poisoning as well, true. I thought of gas lines, then remembered they use gas tanks, in Nigeria, not lines.

When 17 people die mysteriously at the same time, occult/mystery/prayer/esoteric has to be ruled out, even in Africa.

Whatever methods were used by the occult to kill 17 people at once in this manner should be investigated.

This is the 21st century. The age of computers, automobiles, jet propulsion, aeronautics, etc. People travel from London to Japan in a matter of hours, without the occult. We can't continue having the exact same fears and beliefs we had 600 years ago before oyibo even came to cart away most of us.

na my own I dey talk o. undecided

the tropical heat can decompose the bodies if they werent disposed of quickly enough.
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by Queenisha: 2:26am On Jul 17, 2008
tpia:

It could also be carbon monoxide poisoning as well, true. I thought of gas lines, then remembered they use gas tanks, in Nigeria, not lines.

When 17 people die mysteriously at the same time, occult/mystery/prayer/esoteric has to be ruled out, even in Africa.

Whatever methods were used by the occult to kill 17 people at once in this manner should be investigated.

This is the 21st century. The age of computers, automobiles, jet propulsion, aeronautics, etc. People travel from London to Japan in a matter of hours, without the occult. We can't continue having the exact same fears and beliefs we had 600 years ago before oyibo even came to cart away most of us.

na my own I dey talk o. undecided

the tropical heat can decompose the bodies if they werent disposed of quickly enough.

They said maggots descended on the bodies in a couple of hours.The incident happened at night,you need flies to lay eggs after copulation which hatch into maggots
do you see flies flying at midnight?
anything is possible in naija sha
our own flies fit be turboflies wey no dey sleep
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by tpia: 2:55am On Jul 17, 2008
Queenisha:

They said maggots descended on the bodies in a couple of hours.The incident happened at night,you need flies to lay eggs after copulation which hatch into maggots
do you see flies flying at midnight?
anything is possible in naija sha
our own flies fit be turboflies wey no dey sleep

that was what the reporters were told. It wasnt verified independently.

The victims could also have died earlier.

Thats why this thing should be investigated, to make sure murder isnt being covered up under the guise of juju.

The whole story is somehow. undecided

17 people at one go is too much nah. Its not like there was a gas pipeline there.
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by ijebuman(m): 7:38am On Jul 17, 2008
As reported by Reuters
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080716/wl_nm/nigeria_deaths_fumes_dc_1

Generator fumes kill 17 at Nigeria prayer meeting
UMUAHIA, Nigeria (Reuters) - At least 17 people died at a prayer meeting in rural Nigeria after apparently breathing noxious fumes from their power generator while asleep, police and witnesses said on Wednesday.

regarding evil spirits and all that malarkey, will suggest people read this
Carbon monoxide poisoning and "haunted houses" (so called "evil spirits"wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning#Carbon_monoxide_poisoning_and_.22haunted_houses.22
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by MALAMA(f): 9:57am On Jul 17, 2008
ijebuman:

As reported by Reuters
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080716/wl_nm/nigeria_deaths_fumes_dc_1

Generator fumes kill 17 at Nigeria prayer meeting
UMUAHIA, Nigeria (Reuters) - At least 17 people died at a prayer meeting in rural Nigeria after apparently breathing noxious fumes from their power generator while asleep, police and witnesses said on Wednesday.

regarding evil spirits and all that malarkey, will suggest people read this
Carbon monoxide poisoning and "haunted houses" (so called "evil spirits"wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning#Carbon_monoxide_poisoning_and_.22haunted_houses.22

Ijebuman,
God bless u 'repete'tiously for those links jare.God's words re-echo again : 'MY PEOPLE PERISH FOR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE'.
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by Mustay(m): 10:11am On Jul 17, 2008
lucabrasi:

dude,im really dissappointed in that comment you just made,from your posts on this section of nland im guessing you are a devout muslim,and im sure the islamic religion doesnt teach you to mock people with this kind of sad occurence,there s a limit to religious fanatism sad

How do you decipher a person's religion via this comment sad
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by kadijen: 11:06am On Jul 17, 2008
R.I.P sad

its like a blow,i heard it from my cousin dat lives in umuahia

so dis thing happened in my own umuahia

wherever it might have happend sha,may they all R.Itongue sad
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by lucabrasi(m): 11:07am On Jul 17, 2008
Mustay:

mr man,i wasnt addressing my comments to you and as for your question you are either new on the religious section or you dont visit the religious section,go through the islamic thread on this section and that will answer your question angry angry angry
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by huxley(m): 1:05pm On Jul 17, 2008
lucabrasi:

This is a most sad incident and my heart goes out to the families of the deceased. To correct you, I am not mocking the loss of these people. Far from it. I am simply mocking the thought process that cause them to gather together for this occasion. BTW, I am not a m-slim.

You have to remember that the religious (Christians and non-Christians) are usually the first to give credit to their god(s) when the happenstance favours them. In fact, not long ago, someone posted a thread recounting the incident of an explosion in a church that totally destroyed the building. The explosion happened at a time when the church choir would normally the practising their song, but on this fateful evening, the choir had failed to gather in the church. This was seen as the hand of god directing the choir to absent themselves from the church building that evening.

Was it really the hand of god? Why did he not save the building as well? So if god can be given credit for the one act in which no one lost their lives, he should also take credit for the other act in which there was loss of lives. Ironically, these people were gathered together to sing and chant praises to him. Why did he let this happen to them. Hence, the comment, "Nothing fails like prayers".
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by lucabrasi(m): 2:24pm On Jul 17, 2008
huxley:

This is a most sad incident and my heart goes out to the families of the deceased. To correct you, I am not mocking the loss of these people. Far from it. I am simply mocking the thought process that cause them to gather together for this occasion. BTW, I am not a m-slim.

You have to remember that the religious (Christians and non-Christians) are usually the first to give credit to their god(s) when the happenstance favours them. In fact, not long ago, someone posted a thread recounting the incident of an explosion in a church that totally destroyed the building. The explosion happened at a time when the church choir would normally the practising their song, but on this fateful evening, the choir had failed to gather in the church. This was seen as the hand of god directing the choir to absent themselves from the church building that evening.

Was it really the hand of god? Why did he not save the building as well? So if god can be given credit for the one act in which no one lost their lives, he should also take credit for the other act in which there was loss of lives. Ironically, these people were gathered together to sing and chant praises to him. Why did he let this happen to them. Hence, the comment, "Nothing fails like prayers".

oh ok seen.your numerous posts on here and your views on xtianity and what not led me to believe you are muslim,oh well i get what you meant but it would have been helpful to the topic if you explained it like this,people might give GOD the glory for positive stuffs but no matter in which guise or from bad and tragic news come,we just forget about every other thing and grieve for them first and foremost
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by Mustay(m): 2:45pm On Jul 17, 2008
lucabrasi:

mr man,i wasnt addressing my comments to you and as for your question you are either new on the religious section or you don't visit the religious section,go through the islamic thread on this section and that will answer your question angry angry angry

I guess you know not what you are writing about. Not posting here does not mean that I do not view this board regularly.

Moreover, you've not answered the question.
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by gbekumoyan(f): 2:48pm On Jul 17, 2008
hi huxley.

Long time, been away for a while. How are you?

What exactly do you think you can change about your creator, child of perdition? Do give me a list.
It will take you a whole miserable lifetime, if you keep trying. Deep down in you, you feel
that emptiness, but your pride won't let you admit it. Well, like it happened to lucifer, an eternal fall is the outcome
of such arrogance toward God. hope you'll realise it before its too late.

talk 2u later.
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by huxley(m): 10:10pm On Jul 17, 2008
gbekumoyan:

hi huxley.

Long time, been away for a while. How are you?

What exactly do you think you can change about your creator, child of perdition? Do give me a list.
It will take you a whole miserable lifetime, if you keep trying. Deep down in you, you feel
that emptiness, but your pride won't let you admit it. Well, like it happened to lucifer, an eternal fall is the outcome
of such arrogance toward God. hope you'll realise it before its too late.

talk 2u later.

This is utter rubbish and you sadly betray your ignorance by this comment. When you are mature enough intellectually come back and we can talk. Bye!
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by gbekumoyan(f): 9:33am On Jul 18, 2008
huxley:

This is utter rubbish and you sadly betray your ignorance by this comment. When you are mature enough intellectually come back and we can talk. Bye!

Hey Huxley!

It's not likely I crave for the level of maturity that robs me of undestanding basic spiritual principles. Meanwhile, you haven't answered my question, or have you? takia u.
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by huxley(m): 1:19pm On Jul 18, 2008
gbekumoyan:

Hey Huxley!

It's not likely I crave for the level of maturity that robs me of undestanding basic spiritual principles. Meanwhile, you haven't answered my question, or have you? takia u.

Then you are like the sick woman who is attached to her malady . Your malady gives you a delusion to occupy your mind and your time. Unfortunately, this malady is highly contagious and you are seeking to infect others with it.
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by MCUsman(m): 5:54pm On Jul 18, 2008
Mustay:

Stop wasting your time on him. Na mumu
Re: 17 Die At Prayer Session by huxley(m): 9:59am On Jul 19, 2008
BTW, Is this event a tragedy and to whom is it a tragedy? The 17 people who died have had their passage into the "next world" facilitated by the gas leak. The Christian regularly remind us that this world is not for them, so presumably the sooner they get out of this world into the next, the better it is for their soul.

So from a Christian perspective, they should be celebrating this event for ushering in the passage of their friends to their much sought-after world

(1) (Reply)

Ebible Xtra: The Sleekest Talking Bible: A Must Have For Every Christian / Jesus The Same Yesterday, Today And Forever / !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.