Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,667 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands (1419 Views)

British Rock Bands Are Wow!!! / Top 5 Best Rock Bands And Three Of Their Songs You Think Best / What Are Your Favorite Contemporary Rock Bands? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 13, 2013
I personally think Coldplay,Paramore ,Linkin Park,Daughtry,Muse,Foo Fighters,Kings Of Leon,30 Seconds To Mars,Radiohead and Nickelback are the best out there, what other bands interest fellow rock affiocionados
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 6:41am On Nov 14, 2013
Nirvana, the beatles, black sabbath, fleetwood mac(?), paramore coz of Hayley, etc
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by RSAMAN(m): 7:09am On Nov 14, 2013
pearl jam, anathema, green day, alter bridge, creed, ac/dc, alice in chains, scorpions, margot and the nuclear so and so's
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 7:47am On Nov 14, 2013
Linkin Park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ehem and Muse, red hot chilli pepper, savage garden, she etc

GREEN DAY
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by alphascorpio(m): 9:21am On Nov 14, 2013
Maroon5, coldplay, linkin park, green day
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by tuagbo: 11:46am On Nov 14, 2013
If you want to listen to rock music at its best,listen to bands like; "The White Stripes," "The Dead Weather" "The Peach kings" "Teddy bears" "Alt-J" "Gardens & villa" "Motopony" "The Black keys" "The Heavy" "Crazy town" "Heartless bastards" & "Alabama shakes."That's enough for now.
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by ghostofsparta(m): 1:11pm On Nov 14, 2013
I still don't understand why many of you both on NL and out here, like mild rock trax?

As for me I listen mostly to H A R D R O C K, cos they fuel my imaginations and fires my creativity.

Mine are:

Nirvana
Smells Like Teen Spirit only, the rest na noise.

Linkin Park
90% of all tracks in Hybrid Theory, Reanimation & Meteora are the best

Adema
Giving In, [The Way You Like It, Planets, Cold and Jaded

Foo Fighter
Pretenders only, the test na noise.

Three Days Grace
Home, Animal I've Become, Pain, Never Too Late, I Hate Every Thing About You

Breaking Benjamin
So Cold is the only track of theirs I like.

A Perfect Circle
Outsider (Apocalypse Remix), Weak and Powerless

Avenged Sevenfold
After life, Brompton Cocktail, Almost Easy, Nightmare, Seize The Day, Scream, Unbound The Wild Ride, A Little Piece of Heaven and Gunslinger.

CrossFade
So Cold, Colors

Rammstein
Ich Will

Cavalera Conspiracy
Killing Inside

Lacuna Coil
Secret, Heaven's A Lie, Swamped

Within Temptation
*can't remember for now*

Evanescence
Most of 'Fallen' and some of 'The Open Doors' album

Disturbed
Down With The Sickness, Forsaken, Inside The Fire,

Static-X
Cold, Not Meant For Me, Destroyer

https://www.nairaland.com/1397333/let-share-hard-rock-tracks

@Logicboy03
Na u I dey find wey I take reach here. You be coward o, I swear. Juju no dey kill na.

@Vanessa
Kai, you fine no be small. Hope say you dey lie for your Christian folks say na only gospel music full your iPod sha o.
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 4:09pm On Nov 14, 2013
Linkin park
Daughtry
Maroon 5
One republic
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by naijanoni(m): 6:03pm On Nov 14, 2013
Daughtry still my favorite atm.
Waiting For Superman.
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
Lol. @ghostofsparta, every1 at home knows I have weird taste in music. And thanks for the compliment, ayam blushing. smiley
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 15, 2013
I forgot to mention queen. Is maroon 5 a rock band?
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 15, 2013
IfeomaVanessa: I forgot to mention queen. Is maroon 5 a rock band?
Yeah, maroon 5 is one of the best bands out there although adam levine is the visible lead singer and Queen is also a awesome band
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by ghostofsparta(m): 2:45pm On Nov 15, 2013
@A L L

Do you think Nigerians would appreciate a genre of heavy rock instrumentals blend with rhythmic local-type percussions laced on top with senaible lyrics.

@Vanessa
Have you heard Vanessa Carlton?
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 15, 2013
ghostofsparta: @A L L

Do you think Nigerians would appreciate a genre of heavy rock instrumentals blend with rhythmic local-type percussions laced on top with senaible lyrics.

@Vanessa
Have you heard Vanessa Carlton?
I doubt rock is a genre most nigerians appreciate talkless of heavy metal rock, doubt it'll be commercially viable
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 15, 2013
Rock is just like baseball, it's not a Nigerian thing.
Yeah, I know Vanessa Carlton
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by ghostofsparta(m): 5:35pm On Nov 15, 2013
emk4lif:
I doubt rock is a genre most nigerians appreciate talkless of heavy metal rock, doubt it'll be commercially viable
I don't really think so. I think it depends on how it is packaged and showing originality. Do you know there are heavy rock bands in Saudi Arabia? Besides, would you agree that majority of music listeners in Nigeria don't know there are mainly three types of Rock music;

Soft rock The likes of Daughtery, Greenday, Coldplay etc whose songs are always mild and sonorous. Too feminine un-manly for my taste.

Hard rock Like most of the tracks from artiste/bands I listed^ who rarely compose soft, melodious strings except for Linkin Park who now do that a lot now.

Heavy/Thrash/Death metal Una know them na. Dem de tok sense o, but d noise 3 much. Mastodon, Childeren of Bodom. Cradle of Filth, Korn etc . This sub-genre of rock is what an average Nigeria thinks of, when the word 'rock music' is mentioned. I've asked females before severally, do you listen to rock music? And it mostly: "ehn! God forbid, I don't listen to all those devilish music, me I like Celine Dion and westlife". Though, that was back then, I wouldn't know about now since I've stopped bothering to ask.

One day I'm going to write a piece about Nigerians mis-reaction to rock music as a chapter within the topic: A Critical Look of the Nigerian Entertainment Industry.

BTW

I like this soft rock track by Kasabian or so, the track is: Processed Beat. You all should check it out, very cool and sweeeeeeet.
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by ghostofsparta(m): 5:38pm On Nov 15, 2013
IfeomaVanessa: Rock is just like baseball, it's not a Nigerian thing.
Yeah, I know Vanessa Carlton

I'm dead sure your favourite must be A Thousand Mile, abi?
What about Kelly Clarkson? My sis made me appreciate her Breakaway track, as I did them Linkin Park's 'Faint'.
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 7:02pm On Nov 15, 2013
ghostofsparta:
I don't really think so. I think it depends on how it is packaged and showing originality. Do you know there are heavy rock bands in Saudi Arabia? Besides, would you agree that majority of music listeners in Nigeria don't know there are mainly three types of Rock music;

Soft rock The likes of Daughtery, Greenday, Coldplay etc whose songs are always mild and sonorous. Too feminine un-manly for my taste.

Hard rock Like most of the tracks from artiste/bands I listed^ who rarely compose soft, melodious strings except for Linkin Park who now do that a lot now.

Heavy/Thrash/Death metal Una know them na. Dem de tok sense o, but d noise 3 much. Mastodon, Childeren of Bodom. Cradle of Filth, Korn etc . This sub-genre of rock is what an average Nigeria thinks of, when the word 'rock music' is mentioned. I've asked females before severally, do you listen to rock music? And it mostly: "ehn! God forbid, I don't listen to all those devilish music, me I like Celine Dion and westlife". Though, that was back then, I wouldn't know about now since I've stopped bothering to ask.

One day I'm going to write a piece about Nigerians mis-reaction to rock music as a chapter within the topic: A Critical Look of the Nigerian Entertainment Industry.

BTW

I like this soft rock track by Kasabian or so, the track is: Processed Beat. You all should check it out, very cool and sweeeeeeet.
U do have a point tho but I still doubt the viability of the genre here in nigeria,won't hurt to try tho
......btw I do listen to some heavy metal tho,mostly stuff from AC/DC and metallica, hate Korn
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 15, 2013
ghostofsparta:

I'm dead sure your favourite must be A Thousand Mile, abi?
What about Kelly Clarkson? My sis made me appreciate her Breakaway track, as I did them Linkin Park's 'Faint'.

Yeah, that's my favourite. My favourite Kelly Clarkson track should be "Mr Know It All"
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by RSAMAN(m): 7:10pm On Nov 15, 2013
emk4lif:
U do have a point tho but I still doubt the viability of the genre here in nigeria,won't hurt to try tho
......btw I do listen to some heavy metal tho,mostly stuff from AC/DC and metallica, hate Korn

yet you like linkin park? Linkin park make kindergaten music compared to korn bro. Korn is the best when it comes to nu metal.

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by RSAMAN(m): 7:26pm On Nov 15, 2013
Top Metal Bands:

Katatonia
Lamb of God
Opeth
Symphony X
Omnium Gatherum
Pain of Salvation
Wintersun
Metallica
Megadeth
Deafheaven
Kamelot
Iron Maiden
Rage Against The Machine
Insomnium
Fozzy; because of chris jericho
Dark Tranquillity
Dream Theater
Ghost Brigade
Fates Warning
Green Carnation
Stratovarius
Summoning
Agalloch
Kalmah
Forefather

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 15, 2013
RSAMAN:

yet you like linkin park? Linkin park make kindergaten music compared to korn bro. Korn is the best when it comes to nu metal.
Cmon,linkin park stirs one up with their powerful lyrics,superb guitar riffs and all plus their distinct rap rock style unlike the very awkward noise that korn makes, 'freak on a leash' is prolly the only korn song I could bear to listen too
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by RSAMAN(m): 9:56pm On Nov 15, 2013
emk4lif:
Cmon,linkin park stirs one up with their powerful lyrics,superb guitar riffs and all plus their distinct rap rock style unlike the very awkward noise that korn makes, 'freak on a leash' is prolly the only korn song I could bear to listen too

if you want real rap-rock listen to cypress hill - ''bones cd'' from ''skull and bones'' double album. They aren't even a rap-rock band, just a rap group that happened to release a double lp album(skull and bones) with disc one containing rap songs and disc two containing rap-rock songs, they named disc 1 skull and disc 2 bones, the best disc of the two is disc two(bones). Another band you might want to check out is, and this one is a rap-metal band that puts every rap-metal band to shame, Rage Against The Machine(RATM). check out RATM's Evil Empire album specifically. You might also want to listen to Korn's ''Follow the leader'' album, classic album, standout track is ''cameltosis''. All that will make you realize linkin park is child's play!

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by RSAMAN(m): 10:17pm On Nov 15, 2013
ghostofsparta:

Heavy/Thrash/Death metal Una know
them na. Dem de tok sense o, but d noise
3 much. Mastodon, Childeren of Bodom.
Cradle of Filth, Korn etc . This sub-genre of
rock
is what an average Nigeria thinks of,
when the word 'rock music' is mentioned.
I've asked females before severally, do you
listen to rock music? And it mostly: "ehn!
God forbid, I don't listen to all those
devilish music, me I like Celine Dion and
westlife". Though, that was back then, I
wouldn't know about now since I've
stopped bothering to ask.

That is not a sub-genre of rock. It's a genre of music and it's called Heavy Metal. Thrash Metal and Death Metal are not synonyms of Heavy Metal as i see you describe it as Heavy/Thrash/Death Metal Thrash and Death Metal are sub-genres to the genre of music called Heavy Metal. Other sub-genres of Heavy Metal include :
Groove Metal
Doom Metal
Power Metal
Black Metal
Unblack Metal
Symphonic Metal
Avant-Garde Metal
Experimental Metal
Folk Metal
Shoegaze Metal
Progressive Metal
Nu metal
Viking Metal
Melodic Death Metal
Technical Death Metal
Christian Metal
Funk Metal
Dark Metal

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 15, 2013
RSAMAN:

if you want real rap-rock listen to cypress hill - ''bones cd'' from ''skull and bones'' double album. They aren't even a rap-rock band, just a rap group that happened to release a double lp album(skull and bones) with disc one containing rap songs and disc two containing rap-rock songs, they named disc 1 skull and disc 2 bones, the best disc of the two is disc two(bones). Another band you might want to check out is, and this one is a rap-metal band that puts every rap-metal band to shame, Rage Against The Machine(RATM). check out RATM's Evil Empire album specifically. You might also want to listen to Korn's ''Follow the leader'' album, classic album, standout track is ''cameltosis''. All that will make you realize linkin park is child's play!
Hmmm, will check out RATM then,you really are quite the avid rock fan
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by RSAMAN(m): 10:26pm On Nov 15, 2013
@emk4lif
What is your favorite rock, metal album of all time?
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by RSAMAN(m): 10:32pm On Nov 15, 2013
mine is ''Katatonia - Dead End Kings''

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 11:23pm On Nov 15, 2013
RSAMAN: @emk4lif
What is your favorite rock, metal album of all time?
Mine is Linkin Park's Meteora
, 'Numb','Faint', 'Somewhere I belong' and 'breaking the habit' are my favorites from that album
Then prolly Evanescence 'fallen' album
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Nobody: 11:32pm On Nov 15, 2013
RSAMAN: mine is ''Katatonia - Dead End Kings''
Katatonia is a tad bit too dark for my liking...I don't fancy the 'doom metal' sub genre
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by ghostofsparta(m): 1:21am On Nov 16, 2013
RSAMAN:

That is not a sub-genre of rock. It's a genre of music and it's called Heavy Metal. Thrash Metal and Death Metal are not synonyms of Heavy Metal as i see you describe it as Heavy/Thrash/Death Metal Thrash and Death Metal are sub-genres to the genre of music called Heavy Metal. Other sub-genres of Heavy Metal include :
Groove Metal
Doom Metal
Power Metal
Black Metal
Unblack Metal
Symphonic Metal
Avant-Garde Metal
Experimental Metal
Folk Metal
Shoegaze Metal
Progressive Metal
Nu metal
Viking Metal
Melodic Death Metal
Technical Death Metal
Christian Metal
Funk Metal
Dark Metal
^Ye kpari-kpa
! Na wetin?

Omo guy, you craze gan o for this metal sheets.....I swear. How can one tell the difference between these ^ sub genres? Are they measured in terms of how ghoulish and noisy? Which one be Viking metal? What about Pirate metal? WTF is the difference between black and dark metal? And where in hell did they get technical death metal? Christian metal ko, Muslliim metal ni. Abegi metal na metal jo, meaning senseless noises generated by repeated banging of kpangolos with iron rod. #AbokiMetalBuyers. Lol!.

Joke aside, I stand corrected. However for a long time I was confused as to which is which. I even bought some rock magz back then, which still got me more confused since they mostly advertise, gisted, review and interview more metal heads than the sort of hard rock bands I like listening to. Up till now I still find it quite hard to relate to metal music in general.

BTW, Cypress Hill, to me lack luster, infact their wacky counterpart Limp Bizkit are a tad better by style and delivery than them, though over punkish. I mean, after buying their bones and skull album, I felt stupid to have been swooned by the glossy artwork of their cover, na growsy tracks full the 2 CDs, original album for that matter. D tin pain me dat time I no fit break am.

Ehem! Back to the Head Bangers, So ma guy, yarn me how una take dey feel those noise and growling for metals? Aside from few of their beautiful application as soundtracks to action movie scenes, car racing games, wrestling jingles and wrestler's intro into the ring, how does one or how do you feel metal music? I bought Metallica DVD, which I still do have, very clean, d tin never scratch cos I no dey hear am. I have tried and tried. E no be like Linky and 3daysGrace or A7X or Adema etc. And also, I know some of these 'mentalo' deliver sensible messages just like my hard rock bands, but how do they expect listener to hear when their instrumentals is so chaotically noisy such that it blots out their lyrics? And come to think of it, don't you think they ought to be Chaos Metal? If not, maybe we should start it.
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Fourcade(m): 4:34am On Nov 16, 2013
RSAMAN:

Groove Metal
Doom Metal
Power Metal
Black Metal
Unblack Metal
Symphonic Metal
Avant-Garde Metal
Experimental Metal
Folk Metal
Shoegaze Metal
Progressive Metal
Nu metal
Viking Metal
Melodic Death Metal
Technical Death Metal
Christian Metal
Funk Metal
Dark Metal

See classification grin

I rather stick with the ones i've got.I will say Linkin park,disturbed,korn and some tracks of A7x and bullet for my Valentine. cheesy

Technical Death Metal grin
Some of these bands have dark lyrics,all about their worship and death.Nah...not for moi!
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Modern Rock Bands by Fkforyou(m): 3:18pm On Nov 16, 2013
emk4lif:
oh boy I think there are many peepz who like rock in nigeria it's just that most peepz play it in their homes,cars or phone(more like privately)...it's not somethin u play on d streets and children would dance to it thats why u feel it's not popular in Naija btw my favourite rocks band are:
Daughtry(the guy is cool),the script,3 doors down,breaking benjamin.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FUJI Boss, "Pasuma Wonder" Drops 1st Single Off Hip-hop Album, "Abo"... / [music] Yemi Sax Vs Yemi Alade – Johnny (remix) / Lyrics + Download Music: Deekay – Alele Feat. Dremo & Mayorkun | Mp3 Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.