Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,847 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Planar Vs Nonplanar Driver Side Mirrors? Which Is Better? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Planar Vs Nonplanar Driver Side Mirrors? Which Is Better? (867 Views)

Water Under Driver's Side Footmat. / Cost Of Replacing My Car's Shocks And Front Driver's Side Lower Arm Control (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Planar Vs Nonplanar Driver Side Mirrors? Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 14, 2013
I drove a Corolla 2001 form the US today. All my years of driving, I have driven mostly cars from Europe. I complained to the car technicians that the stock driver side mirror had a narrow angle of view and that he should replace the mirror glass. He ended up buying a bigger size mirror glass and cutting it to size. However, it all looked the same to me- narrow angle of view with huge blind spot.
I was uncomfortable overtaking cars because I couldn't see over my left shoulder, in the region of the huge blind zone(not blind spot).

I then decided to scour the net for some information. Found out that the US requires unit magnification in the driver side mirror, same as Canada. This is achieved using a flat mirror which gives a narrow field of view. Regulations in most other countries permit planar, convex, or aspheric mirrors which improve the field of view while diminishing image size.
I now have to find a way to either cope with the flat mirror or order a planar, convex, or aspheric mirror. I think the rest of the world are thinking with their heads on. Don't know about the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

(1) (Reply)

First Time Buying A Car / What A Nigerian Engineer Turned A 1990 Toyota Camry To...... / Tesla Eats Into Ferrari And Lamborghini Territory!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.