Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,373 members, 7,829,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Why Young People Should Invest In Shares - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Why Young People Should Invest In Shares (23309 Views)

Why Is It Hard For Most Young People To Save Money?? / How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? / All You Need To Know About Shares And Investing In Shares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by soulglo: 8:22pm On Nov 19, 2013
rhames:

I knowof one Mutual fund in Nigeria that has a history of high performance. That is ARM Discovery Fund.Check out their website at http://www.arminvestmentcenter.com/.

or try this one

http://www.stanbicibtcassetmanagement.com
Good luck

Thanks a million
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by ehmasjet(m): 8:22pm On Nov 19, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

Can you tell us some of these companies.

gbam.......pls help us by listin dem
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by delpee(f): 8:50pm On Nov 19, 2013
Past substantial gains on GTB, FBN, NESTLE, FLOUR MILLS, CADBURY, UAC, WAPCO etc
Rising recently CONOIL, GLAXO, FORTE OIL, TRANSCORP etc
The key is in knowing when to go in (BUY), watch and wait (HOLD) and step out (SELL).
The point is that i started young and have no regrets even with the meltdown/crash. Its more of a long term investment with its booms and busts.It usually pays off on the aggregate in the long run.
However, balance your portfolio by investing in real estate, life insurance, money market instruments and profitable businesses.
START YOUNG TO BE HAPPIER AND LESS STRESSED IN OLD AGE.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by MAJOLAUTOS: 9:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
emmanuel ewumi: A share is a unit of ownership in a company. In other words, when you buy shares of a company you become part owner of the company and have the rights to share from the fortune of company and contribute to major decisions at the Annual General Meeting of the company.

What are the benefits of investment in shares?
3. BONUS SHARE: This is similar to dividend but it does not involve cash payment. When a company gives bonus shares, it means every shareholder is entitled to additional free shares. N3500 used in buying 1000 units of First Bank shares in 1993 have grown to over 54,000 units valued at almost N900000 in 2013 due to bonus shares and growth of the company.

http://www.jarushub.com/14-benefits-of-shareholding/

Do you have any idea what purchasing power of 3500Naira was in 1993? We are talking about 20 years ago. I advise young people should not delve into buying shares but start business and start learning entrepreneurship skills from there rather than waiting on unrealistic fat ROI. The shares I bought in 2007 is still there, and does not worth as much as one quarter of the principal.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by steric58(m): 10:56pm On Nov 19, 2013
On first bank mutual fund i saw minimum of 5thousand naira like hw many unit can dat buy am also a student nd any idea about the divided dat it wil yield within 91day tank u
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by Kennyfancy(m): 11:16pm On Nov 19, 2013
pls wht is d minimum amount to buy shares,am still a studnt,, and hw cn one buy shares
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by Nobody: 11:18pm On Nov 19, 2013
Nice1...share tinx on my mind cool
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by luckynzo(m): 11:51pm On Nov 19, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

N3500 worth of FBN shares in 1993 is now worth N900k in 2013.

BONUS SHARE: This is similar to dividend but it does not involve cash payment. When a company gives bonus shares, it means every shareholder is entitled to additional free shares. N3500 used in buying 1000 units of First Bank shares in 1993 have grown to over 54,000 units valued at almost N900000 in 2013 due to bonus shares and growth of the company.
That's what i'm saying. 12000 units of UBA owned in 2006 is now over 30000 units cos bonus shares were awarded.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by sboga: 1:22am On Nov 20, 2013
[size=14pt]I would suggest young people to give themselves a trials in the stock market before putting in real money straight away.

Stocks carry risk and the risk is losing your hard earned money. TRY AM FIRST[/size].

On the EASYKOBO FINANCE WEBSITE - you can participate in a STOCK TRIALS competition for free.

I suggest young investors register for this stock trials and you will learn a lot.

I found out about this stock trials during the season 2 of the competition. And I could not be a top player because it is so challenging.

you can read about the winner of season 2 here. https://www.nairaland.com/1401388/stock-market-competition-won-student

I am actually investing with real money but i still plan to take part in the season 3 of this stock trials just to see what I can do.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by Nobody: 3:55am On Nov 20, 2013
I lost over 10milla in shares in 9ja btn 2007-08,for me investment that u don't manage urself in 9ja is a waste of money,9ja is full of crooks.Do not Invest in shares in 9ja,I repeat do not!

2 Likes

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:53am On Nov 20, 2013
soul_glo:

Are you okay? What the hell do you know about my financial education? You think quoting Warren Buffet makes you have a clue? What ever reason has you pissed this afternoon I will suggest you deal with it and leave me out of it. I have been investing in stocks and mutual funds since before you ever learned how to quote warren Buffet. I asked the person I asked to list funds because I have no mutual funds in Nigeria. Not because I need to be educated by you. You really have the nerve to address me when I asked you the same question and you responded with quotes from the Internet. I asked someone else that might know what he is talking about and you decide to crawl out of your hole and attack me. If you can list a fund then list it. I know how funds work and I can do my own research. If you cannot please respect yourself and jump off my balls.

Very sorry, but no reputable fund manager will come to Nairaland to drop his phone number or BB pin. Just advising you to be careful.

2 Likes

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:58am On Nov 20, 2013
MAJOL AUTOS:

Do you have any idea what purchasing power of 3500Naira was in 1993? We are talking about 20 years ago. I advise young people should not delve into buying shares but start business and start learning entrepreneurship skills from there rather than waiting on unrealistic fat ROI. The shares I bought in 2007 is still there, and does not worth as much as one quarter of the principal.

I bough a kombi bus for transport business in 1993 for N33,000. That N33,000 would have bought about 9400 units of FBN shares which would have grown to 509000 units valued at N8.4 million Naira. this does not include the dividend received over the years.

1 Like

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:04am On Nov 20, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

I bough a kombi bus for transport business in 1993 for N33,000. That N33,000 would have bought about 9400 units of FBN shares which would have grown to 509000 units valued at N8.4 million Naira. this does not include the dividend received over the years.

The Kombi bus was Tokunboh, minimum wage was about N500 per month or N6000 per annum in 1993.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:13am On Nov 20, 2013
wrench: I've Been Wanting To Ask This Question; How Does One Go Claim A Deceased Shares?

You will need to get a letter of administration, your lawyer or stockbroker may help you in obtaining the letter of administration. It may take you up to 2 years to obtain this document in Lagos.
That is why, I always advice people to have a will in place. A will, usually fast-track the transfer of assets to your loved ones.

1 Like

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by wrench: 6:30am On Nov 20, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

Thanks.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by Lucasbalo(m): 6:32am On Nov 20, 2013
I am heavily into stocks and treasury bonds and municipal bonds here in US. You have to follow it very closely, hence u will lose a lot of your money. Investing in bonds in Nigeria is very risky because the government is not stable financially. I have so many friends that lost millions of Naira in the name if buying shares especially the so called penny shares. I work in a hedge fund company and I have seen very smart people make mistakes of rushing to buy stocks without doing their proper research. Pls be careful.

1 Like

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:36am On Nov 20, 2013
Lucasbalo: I am heavily into stocks and treasury bonds and municipal bonds here in US. You have to follow it very closely, hence u will lose a lot of your money. Investing in bonds in Nigeria is very risky because the government is not stable financially. I have so many friends that lost millions of Naira in the name if buying shares especially the so called penny shares. I work in a hedge fund company and I have seen very smart people make mistakes of rushing to buy stocks without doing their proper research. Pls be careful.

That is why I recommend starting small, investing regularly, invest in your financial education and monitor your investment.

1 Like

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:39am On Nov 20, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

That is why I recommend starting small, investing regularly, invest in your financial education and monitor your investment.

I know a lot of average people who have built a fortune for themselves via the Nigerian stock Market
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by Lucasbalo(m): 6:39am On Nov 20, 2013
ibrodex: I would rather used my money on business I understand and bear the risk alone that putting it in a legalised 419 shares.
You are spot on. Dont let anyone fool you with all this feel good stories. Stock in Nigeria is very risky because the government and the economy is not stable and then like u said 419 factor too.

1 Like

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:42am On Nov 20, 2013
Lucasbalo: I am heavily into stocks and treasury bonds and municipal bonds here in US. You have to follow it very closely, hence u will lose a lot of your money. Investing in bonds in Nigeria is very risky because the government is not stable financially. I have so many friends that lost millions of Naira in the name if buying shares especially the so called penny shares. I work in a hedge fund company and I have seen very smart people make mistakes of rushing to buy stocks without doing their proper research. Pls be careful.

A lot of foreign investors have invested in our states and national bonds, one of the stockbroking firms which I use is foreign owned so I have a little knowledge of foreign participation in our market.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:45am On Nov 20, 2013
Lucasbalo: You are spot on. Dont let anyone fool you with all this feel good stories. Stock in Nigeria is very risky because the government and [b]the economy is not stable [/b]and then like u said 419 factor too.

The economy is not stable, but informed Nigerians and foreigners are making a kill in the so called unstable economy and foreign trained Nigerian graduates are dying to work in our unstable economy. What an irony?
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:46am On Nov 20, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

The economy is not stable, but informed Nigerians and foreigners are making a kill in the so called unstable economy and foreign trained Nigerian graduates are dying to work in our unstable economy. What an irony?

We have awesome economic opportunities in Nigeria, it requires an inner eye to identify the opportunities.

1 Like

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by Lucasbalo(m): 6:47am On Nov 20, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

I know a lot of average people who have built a fortune for themselves via the Nigerian stock Market
Believe me, I do too.i am not against what you are advocating. I just want person to be careful. I work in a big hedge fund co in Chicago as midlevel manager. I have seen it all. Even here in US with their advanced economy, its still very risky. I personally lost about 70% of my portfolio in late 2008 when the stock market crashed. No offense to you or disrespect. I am saying that because that is my line of work since 15 years ago.

1 Like

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:57am On Nov 20, 2013
Lucasbalo: Believe me, I do too.i am not against what you are advocating. I just want person to be careful. I work in a big hedge fund co in Chicago as midlevel manager. I have seen it all. Even here in US with their advanced economy, its still very risky. I personally lost about 70% of my portfolio in late 2008 when the stock market crashed. No offense to you or disrespect. I am saying that because that is my line of work since 15 years ago.

I also advocate having multiple streams of income, if the price of a good stock comes down well below its intrinsic value what I do is to accumulate more. I remember telling forum members of www.stockmarketnigeria.com to accumulate more shares of UBA when it fell to less than N2.50 in 2010 or 2011. Those who heeded to the advice most have increased there holdings to a substantial level.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:59am On Nov 20, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

I also advocate having multiple streams of income, if the price of a good stock comes down well below its intrinsic value what I do is to accumulate more. I remember telling forum members of www.stockmarketnigeria.com to accumulate more shares of UBA when it fell to less than N2.50 in 2010 or 2011. Those who heeded to the advice most have increased there holdings to a substantial level.

As a matter I pray for the prices of good stocks to fall, because I invest for cash-flow capital appreciation is just an added benefit
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by Lucasbalo(m): 7:05am On Nov 20, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

A lot of foreign investors have invested in our states and national bonds, one of the stockbroking firms which I use is foreign owned so I have a little knowledge of foreign participation in our market.
That's very possible. They ( foreign investors ) can afford to lose money and not be devastated by that. What about an average Nigerian ?. Can he or she afford to lose hundreds of thousands or millions ?. Thats the main point. I can invest in Nigeria and lose millions and I can shake the pain off because I have a backup here . What about the people that don't have that kind of backup. That's where I am coming from. Like I said earlier, I agree with your idea of stock ownership but just for people to be very careful .
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by Lucasbalo(m): 7:11am On Nov 20, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

As a matter I pray for the prices of good stocks to fall, because I invest for cash-flow capital appreciation is just an added benefit
Let me ask u one question. Do u factor the government stability in your investments ?. In business school, thats one of the first thing we were taught. No one will dare invest in Syria now or Iraq, though they have stockmarkets.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by apasico(m): 7:12am On Nov 20, 2013
I am really interested, but how do I go about it?
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by BestmanNnamdi(m): 7:37am On Nov 20, 2013
My people, it will be better for me 2 utilize my money on anything biz instead of going on shares.
Around 2007, I bought stock worth 40,000 via Mega Asset, it waz last year that i called my stock broker, she told me that Mega Asset has folded.
The manager duped all their clients. She even advised me not 2 spend my credit 2 call or money following it it, she is also a victim.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by vincvin(m): 7:37am On Nov 20, 2013
What's up with DAAR communications shares?
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by nodullin(m): 8:06am On Nov 20, 2013
mister josh: I want to buy shares oo, pls ao much is d least amt one shuld expect as dividend for a share of lets say #10,000 in a healthy bank. Pls o am still a student, will d dividen b able to pay my monthly BIS subscription?

Hi, I would be truthful~ dividend. For the above requested bank share subscription won't be able to pay for your monthly BIS.
Reason: let's say price per shre is N20 I.e. You get 500units and dividend is paid at N1 per share. You get a total of N500. Also note that dividends are paid quarterly at a maximum.

Shares are good for longterm investment and on. Short term if you are knowledgeable on the nitty gritty of the market.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by EngrOsax(m): 8:17am On Nov 20, 2013
Op pls advice me...I bought one unit of dangote flour shares in 2007 and I stop receiving dividends since 2011. I really don't understand how it works the dividends were very low and I don't understand how the whole stuff works. Did I really make the right choice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Minimum Opening Balance For Savings Account Zenith Bank / How To Use Sportybet Balance Adder Hack App 2022 / A Good Platform For You To Earn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.