Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,519 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! (40356 Views)

Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? / If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors / Photos : Accident Leads To Fight Between BRT Staff And Car Owner In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by cardoctor(m): 10:49am On Nov 19, 2013
I have noticed a particular trend in the removal and stealing of Catalytic Converters from motor vehicles that are being repaired or parked on display for sale at the car dealers. I have also noticed that this trend has also gone as far as the entry ports like Tin Can Island as well as Cotonou ports.

Being a mechanical engineer and auto technician with training from the UK, it’s hard to believe that unscrupulous elements are removing a vital component that ensures the smooth running of a car engine as well as helping in keeping our environment safe from the Global Warming and saving the planet from an impending disaster.

Since the beginning of this year I have observed that several cars that have come into my workshop here in Abuja have either had the catalytic converter stolen here in Nigeria or removed at the ports. Three of the cars had come directly from Cotonou and have never been to the workshop for any repairs as testified by their owners. One of them, an Acura RL 2008 model had all the catalysts removed and stuffed with burnt out tyre wires. The engine knocked completely as the car was being driven to Abuja.

A catalytic converter is a vehicle emissions control device which converts toxic byproducts of combustion in the exhaust of an internal combustion engine to less toxic substances by way of catalyzed chemical reactions. The specific reactions vary with the type of catalyst installed. Most present-day vehicles that run on petrol are fitted with a “three-way” catalytic converter, so named because it converts the three main pollutants in automobile exhaust fumes: Carbon monoxide, Unburned hydrocarbon and Oxides of nitrogen. The first two undergo catalytic combustion and the last is reduced back to nitrogen.

Many vehicles have a close-coupled catalytic converter located near the engine's exhaust manifold and a secondary converter on the down stream exhaust pipe usually located underneath the car. The unit close to the exhaust manifold heats up quickly and helps in reducing cold-engine emissions by burning off hydrocarbons from the extra-rich mixture used to start a cold engine.

The most plausible reason why your car’s catalytic converter is constantly being targeted by thieves is because the catalyst is made up of a mix of precious metals.

Platinum is the most active catalyst and is widely used in the manufacture of the catalytic converter including Palladium and Rhodium. Copper, Cerium, Manganese and Nickel are also used.

These are very expensive precious metals and are very highly sought in the metal black markets around the world. The average price for the content of a catalytic converter in the metal black market ranges from N2k to N10k. Replacing them could cost between N10k to N150k depending on your car model.

These thieves cleverly remove the converter and completely gut out the honeycomb catalyst element and then replace the emptied shell on the car. This would normally cause a noticeable droning sound as the exhaust blows through the hollowed out catalytic converter which also serves as muffler. Their solution to this problem is to plug up the exhaust pipe with wire nettings from burnt out tyres or simply leave it as it is. It’s possible that you may be driving around in your car without noticing this.

If a catalytic converter is removed, the consequences could possibly lead to: Poor engine performance, Higher fuel consumption MPG, Higher toxic exhaust emissions, Check engine light staying on due to P0420 code and other related codes being detected by the on-board computer.

If your car needs to spend more than a day at the workshop, ensure that your catalytic converter is there before you leave. If you are set to buy a tokunbo car, also check to see if the cat is there.

You can start by checking if yours has been removed by listening to the hollow sound of the exhaust when you rev the car engine. Have the cars put on a lube service pit or raised and examine if there are weldings on the catalytic converter housing. Also gently tap to hear out for hollow sounds. Better still; have it removed for a more thorough physical examination.

Below are pictures that I took.

Car-Doctor.

081-22711058/ 081-62907680

20 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by cardoctor(m): 11:01am On Nov 19, 2013
This ones came of the 2008 Acura RL that I mentioned.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by cardoctor(m): 11:02am On Nov 19, 2013
Saving space for more pics.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by ziccoit: 1:15pm On Nov 19, 2013
Why oh why. Why are people causing serious damages, both immediate and remote, because of peanuts. Damage to the cars and making holes into those cars' owner pockets are not as grievous as poisons they are releasing into atmosphere through their nefarious activity. Nigerians should start asking questions about what they are paying for. Imagine an illiterate taking you for a ride. These people don't even know what catalytic converter is called. They refer to it as "indomine". Lol. Stewpid clown goats!

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 19, 2013
I heard that they use the metal contents of the catalytic converter to make local gunshot pellets. So, protect your catalytic converter well because those pellets may end up being used on those you know.

Most of our mechanics and panel beaters don't know the usefulness of the catalytic converter. A panel beater once suggested to me that if a catalytic converter is old, they open it up and stuff it with debris including wires. He also told me that the debris may eventually clog the catalytic converter and cause issues in the engine.

The cat of my car got stolen at Cotonou and had to be replaced by the Panel beater. The car makes a drone-like noise always. I wish I could get the OEM silencer including the Cat at a reasonable cost.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by RockMaxi: 5:03pm On Nov 19, 2013
Nice one Doc, but how can I locate your workshop?
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by rmaubsiau(m): 5:03pm On Nov 19, 2013
lwkmd
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 19, 2013
I sold one this afternoon, its good business grin grin

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by dgitrader(m): 5:10pm On Nov 19, 2013
Senseless thieves.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by uceee(m): 5:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the heads up.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by caesaraba(m): 5:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
Was in Lagos in April to buy a car and was told in confidence by a dealer friend that they usually remove the catalyst (indomie pot) at the border and sell them for 12,000 naira. The money money is then used to 'touch up' the cars before bringing them to the stands. He then advised I buy directly from an importer if I wanted everything in the car intact. Haven't regretted that decision since.

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by itsIYKE(m): 5:18pm On Nov 19, 2013
some pple intentionally remove the converter cos they love the droning sound there cars make wen throttled.they say it sounds majestic.
I guess its just sheer ignorance.they think the converter is just there for nothing
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by nrdgeek: 5:23pm On Nov 19, 2013
johnwizey: Check well, dose mechanics are ibo grin grin

Now that's uncalled for undecided

11 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by everyday: 5:28pm On Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the info
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 19, 2013
Good observation, very good, i was wondering Y this useless mechanics removes car catalyst from cars, the best thing to do wen ever 1 visit a mechanic is to stay with dem while working on the car, if not many things would be removed from car.
i stay with my mechanics while working on my car always

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Lightening: 5:37pm On Nov 19, 2013
dsunmade: I heard that they use the metal contents of the catalytic converter to make local gunshot pellets. So, protect your catalytic converter well because those pellets may end up being used on those you know.

Most of our mechanics and panel beaters don't know the usefulness of the catalytic converter. A panel beater once suggested to me that if a catalytic converter is old, they open it up and stuff it with debris including wires. He also told me that the debris may eventually clog the catalytic converter and cause issues in the engine.

The cat of my car got stolen at Cotonou and had to be replaced by the Panel beater. The car makes a drone-like noise always. I wish I could get the OEM silencer including the Cat at a reasonable cost.

The first thing I tell a panel beater on entering his workshop for anything is not to tamper with my catalyst.
Some usually pick offence but the torpedo earlier fired always keep.them from mischief even if intended.

Fell victim once in Cotonou. Can't immagine my Camry 09 messed up by one lunatic

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by koolpapa(m): 5:37pm On Nov 19, 2013
Is Catalytic converter found in all model/year of cars?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Afrocatalyst: 5:42pm On Nov 19, 2013
ziccoit: Why oh why. Why are people causing serious damages, both immediate and remote, because of peanuts. Damage to the cars and making holes into those cars' owner pockets are not as grievous as poisons they are releasing into atmosphere through their nefarious activity. Nigerians should start asking questions about what they are paying for. Imagine an illiterate taking you for a ride. These people don't even know what catalytic converter is called. They refer to it as "indomine". Lol. Stewpid clown goats!
they're making money frm it o. Nt peanuts. I have a friend who does it. I've talkd and talkd and talkd,all to no avail. The worst part is they now have policemen working with them.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Abee79(m): 5:48pm On Nov 19, 2013
"Catalytic converter" - is this the thing they call Indomie?
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by kobikwelu(m): 5:52pm On Nov 19, 2013
Wow!! really sad....
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by yomalex(m): 5:56pm On Nov 19, 2013
This is really sad
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Ninilowo(m): 6:04pm On Nov 19, 2013
Abee79: "Catalytic converter" - is this the thing they call Indomie?
Yes.......they may even call it AKARA. Those terms irritate me meen! Mine was also removed from the port.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by CircleOfWilis: 6:10pm On Nov 19, 2013
funny i hv bn drivin my golf 3 without it, and i dey feel like one don oo, tnk God the engine no knock yet

pls op tell stella odua to check her new bullet proof cars for the catalyst

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by princeparis(m): 6:21pm On Nov 19, 2013
All this are all symptoms of poverty. Why should a sane person remove anything at all from a car that is not is. I have been a victim. The catalyst was removed by the foolish panel beater in the mazda. I noticed a change in the sound once I started the engine. The guy denied that he touched it. I told him he is cursed if he indeed removed it. But I learnt a big that day. Never take you car to just any workshop. Always stay there while the repair is going on. Before going know the status of your car.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by tols4gorgeous(f): 6:35pm On Nov 19, 2013
Happened 2 my CR-V, i just got tired of T̅ђє̲̣̥ noise it makes...i suspect dat idiotic Mukaila, na only God fit catch am
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by sexyglow(f): 6:36pm On Nov 19, 2013
ziccoit: Why oh why. Why are people causing serious damages, both immediate and remote, because of peanuts. Damage to the cars and making holes into those cars' owner pockets are not as grievous as poisons they are releasing into atmosphere through their nefarious activity. Nigerians should start asking questions about what they are paying for. Imagine an illiterate taking you for a ride. These people don't even know what catalytic converter is called. They refer to it as "indomine". Lol. Stewpid clown goats!
wait a minute o..na the "indomie" wey my mechanic tell me say my car no get?? Wonders shall never end!
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Nokio1: 6:43pm On Nov 19, 2013
i am a victim ...ha ignorance!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2014 Toyota Land Cruiser Armoured : A Review of Gov. Obiano's Offical Car / The Moment A Guy Surprised His Male Best Friend With A Car Gift (Video) / Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.