Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Wrongly Convicted Man Released After 34 Years - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Wrongly Convicted Man Released After 34 Years (667 Views)

Exposed! The True Life Story Of A 34 Years Old Banker, A Mother Of 2 Kids Who... / Innocent Man Released After 30 Years In Prison In North Carolina / 10 People Who Were Wrongly Convicted Of Nonexistent Crimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wrongly Convicted Man Released After 34 Years by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 19, 2013
A man imprisoned for more than three decades for a murder he always said he didn’t commit walked out of Men’s Central Jail on Friday.
Kash D. Register, 53, who was wrongly convicted of
murder in 1979, was released after his conviction
was overturned. “I’m just at a numb feeling right now. It just hasn’t really set in yet. I know it’s real, but it just hasn’t truly set in yet. It’s a beautiful feeling though,”
Register told reporters as he got out. It’s a moment that his mother, 76-year-old Wilma Register, has been waiting for a long time.
“That was victory. That was what I have prayed for,
for the world to see that this is not the right man.
The system can make mistakes, but nobody
believes that until it happens to them,” she said.
The victory came on Thursday in a Los Angeles Superior Courtroom. A camera captured the
moment Kash Register heard the news he would
soon be a free man, all thanks to the efforts of a
handful of Loyola Law School students who worked
tirelessly for more than a year to win his release.
“This man’s life was at stake and even though we
worked so hard, it didn’t feel like it because we felt
like we were doing something really important,”
said law student Aaron Elster.
The students are part of Loyola Law School’s Project for the Innocent, led by Professor Laurie Levenson.
“The only reason he was convicted was some
witnesses lied and then the prosecution and police
hid some valuable evidence,” said Levenson.
Register was 18 years old when he was sent to
prison. The evidence against him was an
eyewitness who claimed he was the suspect in a
robbery homicide. Fast forward 34 years, and it
was testimony from the sister of the original
witness that set him free.
“I just kept faith. I got acquainted with some nice
people to help me legally. Once that happened, it
took off. It took awhile, but it took off,” said Register.

Register was up for parole 11 times. All he had to
say was he was guilty in this crime, but he always
maintained his innocence. He said he would rather
serve time than say he was guilty for a crime that
he did not commit.

http://www.informationng.com/2013/11/wrongly-convicted-man-released-after-34-years.html
Re: Wrongly Convicted Man Released After 34 Years by adezjamz(m): 11:37am On Nov 19, 2013
This is ___________.

1 Like

Re: Wrongly Convicted Man Released After 34 Years by Annie2gud(f): 11:55am On Nov 19, 2013
I Bet this wont happen in Naija.take it or leave it.
Re: Wrongly Convicted Man Released After 34 Years by Annie2gud(f): 12:01pm On Nov 19, 2013
Was al Hamza mustafa wrongly Accused?
Re: Wrongly Convicted Man Released After 34 Years by Nobody: 1:19pm On Nov 19, 2013
Annie2gud: Was al Hamza mustafa wrongly Accused?
well, he is a freeman now abi? So I guess he was.
Buh its very painful, imagine being locked up for 34 years? Wtf
Re: Wrongly Convicted Man Released After 34 Years by Annie2gud(f): 1:24pm On Nov 19, 2013
34yrs is no joke.I think,He shud be fully compensated.and the Nigga that stood as false witness,shud be sent to jail.many are dyin and rotting away in jail,becus they were wrongly accused.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Belongs To Anyone Who Claims It's Citizenship / 30 Crazy Facts About Africa/ Africans / Rate Of Okada Accidents In Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.