Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) (963 Views)

Geographic Information System / Geographic Information System (GIS) Tutorial - Using QGIS / Remote Sensing And Geographic Information System Experts Should Meet Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by PalmTree(m): 7:37pm On Nov 19, 2013
Hello, this thread will focus on a step by step approach to learning the basics of Geographic Information systems. GIS is a system that collects, analyzes and presents intelligent information to solve problems. That is a most easy definition (considering the fact that most people may be hearing about it for the first time)
Feel free to ask questions on this awesome technology or better still, join us on this thread: www.nairaland.com/1498170/what-geographic-information-systems-gis
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by urchman101(m): 7:43pm On Nov 19, 2013
What platform do u use?
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by PalmTree(m): 7:45pm On Nov 19, 2013
ArcGIS, ILWIS, Erdas Imagine and sometimes AutoCAD land development. Are you a GIS person?
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by urchman101(m): 7:49pm On Nov 19, 2013
Yeah... Environmenta/GIS support
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by Alikaxon(m): 7:52pm On Nov 19, 2013
Pls, wat is the relationship, comparison or differences between geography information system and geography and regional planning?
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by PalmTree(m): 7:55pm On Nov 19, 2013
urchman101: Yeah... Environmenta/GIS support

That's cool! I run a GIS powered Research and Information Consultancy. From my experience, I think GIS is still very vague to most people, what do you think?

1 Like

Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by PalmTree(m): 8:01pm On Nov 19, 2013
Alikaxon: Pls, wat is the relationship, comparison or differences between geography information system and geography and regional planning?

Firstly, its is Geographic and not Geography info system! I highlighted the error because most people feel the word Geographic means GIS is solely for Environmental or Earth sciences but this is untrue. I happen to have my first degree in Geography and Environmental Management so I can relate with you. I have consulted for Business Analysts, surveyors and engineers alike. GIS is a tool that can be used to solve your problems. Since you are a Geographer, bring up a research and I will discuss how GIS can solve the problem. I believe this will help you understand GIS better. Thanks
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by urchman101(m): 8:04pm On Nov 19, 2013
PalmTree:

That's cool! I run a GIS powered Research and Information Consultancy. From my experience, I think GIS is still very vague to most people, what do you think?
I agree with you.. Guess it's because of the diversity in its application.

1 Like

Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by LogoJ(m): 8:09pm On Nov 19, 2013
am in
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by PalmTree(m): 8:13pm On Nov 19, 2013
urchman101:
I agree with you.. Guess it's because of the diversity in its application.

I have made it an integral part of my firm's CSR to bring GIS closer to our students especially those in the Environmental and Earth sciences. I believe with time, I will extend it to Engineering and Business students. Countries in Europe, Asia and North America have been tapping into GIS for years, Nigeria must start tagging along, and if we must, our students need to be empowered.
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by urchman101(m): 8:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
Alikaxon: Pls, wat is the relationship, comparison or differences between geography information system and geography and regional planning?
The relationship is that the three subjects mentioned are all earth based, the comparison is that the GIS is better when compared with the other two because, it houses their problems. Difference is that is manipulates, analyses, stores and produces results or solutions to their problems.
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by urchman101(m): 8:24pm On Nov 19, 2013
PalmTree:

I have made it an integral part of my firm's CSR to bring GIS closer to our students especially those in the Environmental and Earth sciences. I believe with time, I will extend it to Engineering and Business students. Countries in Europe, Asia and North America have been tapping into GIS for years, Nigeria must start tagging along, and if we must, our students need to be empowered.
Sure, the awareness on GIS capability amongst students is very low in the country. But to me one needs to be enlightened and on the other hand equally needs to have the flair.
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by PalmTree(m): 8:32pm On Nov 19, 2013
urchman101:
Sure, the awareness on GIS capability amongst students is very low in the country. But to me one needs to be enlightened and on the other hand equally needs to have the flair.

Valid point! But based on a recent research that I conducted, I realized that most student embraced GIS even with the little theoretical introduction they had usually in their 2nd year. As for the flair, it comes with the prospects of learning something new.
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by PalmTree(m): 8:38pm On Nov 19, 2013
Alikaxon, waiting for you to bring up the research topic so we can set the ball rolling.
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by urchman101(m): 9:16pm On Nov 19, 2013
PalmTree:

Valid point! But based on a recent research that I conducted, I realized that most student embraced GIS even with the little theoretical introduction they had usually in their 2nd year. As for the flair, it comes with the prospects of learning something new.
Yeah.... I agree with u. I am also learning and on the freelancing radar.
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by PalmTree(m): 9:23pm On Nov 19, 2013
urchman101:
Yeah.... I agree with u. I am also learning and on the freelancing radar.

Good! That's the advantage GIS affords you. Keep at it
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by urchman101(m): 9:38pm On Nov 19, 2013
PalmTree:

Good! That's the advantage GIS affords you. Keep at it
Thanks man
Re: Introduction To Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by PalmTree(m): 8:09pm On Nov 25, 2013
Basic GIS training will commence tomorrow, watch out!

(1) (Reply)

A Private Hostel Needed Urgently / Bloody Fight In UNN / '

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.