Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid (2746 Views)

Celebrations After The End Of Nigerian Civil War 1970(Pictures) / Picture Of Gallant Female Soldiers Who Fought In The Nigerian Civil War / What Really Caused The Nigerian Civil War Of 1967 - 1969? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by obayaya(m): 7:05am On Nov 21, 2013
Specimen A: In the year 1861, civil war broke out in the country we all know today as the United States of America. The war originated from the attempted secession of the Southerners from the Union, a move which the Northerners perceived as a violation of the essence of the American republic and so, rejected. Ergo, war broke out between the Southern states which had formed themselves into the Confederate States of America and the Northern states which were called the Union. By the year 1865 when the war ended, casualties numbered over half a million on both sides.

Fast-forward to the year 1900, thirty-five years later, the United States had established itself as the world’s foremost industrial nation. Overall, the nation experienced a stunning explosion in the scale of industry and in the pace of production.[1]

Specimen B: May 30, 1967, civil war broke out in the country we all know today as Nigeria. The war was fueled by the attempt of the South-easterners to secede from the country Nigeria. The move was condemned by the Nigerian government as injurious to the country’s oneness and a catalyst for an extensive disintegration of the nascent republic. Ergo, war broke out between the South-easterners who called themselves the Republic of Biafra and the Nigerian government. By 1970 when the war ended, casualties numbered well over two million on both sides.

Fast-forward to the year 2013, forty-three years later, Nigeria is 40th on the list of 79 countries which have been marked as ‘hungry’.[2] On a daily basis, 29.6% of the over 150 million Nigerian population lives on less than N190 and 83.9% on less than a miserly N300.[3] Outside the shores, the nation maintains its 7th position on the list of oil-producing countries but also is one of the highest importers of refined petroleum.[4] Nigeria is also notorious for crime, corruption, nepotism and terrorism.

In analyzing specimens A and B illustrated above, similarities abound but a singular (major) difference exists viz one country built a bridge over all of the post-war debris, blood and craters while the other did not. While the United States, spurred on by memories of pain and loss from the war, promptly commenced an effective reconstruction agenda, Nigeria evolved a selective memory, a porous reverse-filter which retained the chaff and let all the seeds fall through.

Many people today, urged on by contemporary schools of thought, will preach a total annihilation of past experiences in favor of the present and hence, future - “throw away the burdens of the past so that you may herald the treasures of the now and future!” But the wisdom in that approach is yet to be seen. The past influences the present just as much, if not more, than the future does. Albert Einstein noted,

“The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion”.

With every passing second, the future becomes the present and the present, the past all within such short intervals of time that George Calin further posited thus,

“There’s no present. There’s only the immediate future and the recent past”.

Therein lies the secret of the richness of the American culture today. In the United States, children are taught about the civil war as early as the third grade, the Nigerian equivalent of Primary 3. They are taught to understand the institution of slavery prior to the Civil war and its principal role in the breakout of the war, explain the reason(s) for the states’ secession, and outline the course of the war among many other requirements. In an article published by Education news,

“(teachers) uses props like milk-cartons for boats and blue marbles for cannonballs to illustrate battles…” and field trips are taken to any of the Civil war sites which have all been preserved.

In Yale university, History 119 – The Civil war and Reconstruction Era, 1845 – 1877 is a course taught to freshmen twice a week for fifty minutes; it is also made available as an ‘Open Yale course’ on the internet for downloads by whoever is interested. It would be needless recounting the series of books, movies, documentaries, etc that are available with war accounts from both sides of the conflict. The US government went a step further by taking pains to preserve sites where some of the most eventful battles were fought and today, those sites are unique walk-through museums which also earn the country revenue.

This publication is not an effusive idolization of the US; if at this point you think it is then unfortunately but not for the first time, you have missed the point. Late Prof. Chinua Achebe’s There was a country is a book that was trailed by perhaps just as many harsh criticisms as it was by acclamations. One subject of one too many heated debates is the role played by the late Obafemi Awolowo in the starving of Biafrans, as alleged by Achebe. In arguing either side of this issue, Nigerians missed the point again. Achebe understood the relevance of written history in the building of any nation. As he noted in his introduction to the novel, “it is for the sake of the future of Nigeria, for our children and grand-children, that I feel it is important to tell Nigeria’s story, Biafra story, our story, my story”. Over time since the end of the war, the same has been done by others who played parts in this momentous conflict. Nigerians like Olusegun Obasanjo, Joe Achuzia, Wole Soyinka, Alexander Madiebo, David Ejoor, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu and even foreigners such as Frederick Forsyth, Holger Ehling, Laurie Wiseberg among others belong to this class. Unfortunately though, these men and women will have wasted their energies if the Nigerians for whom these books have been written continue to approach them with the sole aim of finding ammunition for inter-ethnic attacks.

The point right now should not be who was most wronged or which group of people must apologize to the other. The point right now should be about learning the truth exactly as it happened because with the objective learning of this truth comes acceptance, then reconciliation and eventually, a reconstruction agenda. Regrettably, the possibility of acquiring this undiluted truth has progressively dimmed as the currents of time have swept away many artifacts, landmarks and symbols. But late is not the end and nearly is a word that is yet to kill a bird. The government needs to stop banning movies and books about the war just because they ‘threaten national unity and integration’. We must realize that the real threat to national unity and integration is a student writing his West African Secondary School Certificate Examinations (WASSCE) whose response to a question regarding the extent of his knowledge of the Nigerian Civil war is “ummm…I don’t really know much shaa but it was a very bad war”. The real threat to national unity and integration is the absence of ANY landmark in honor of the brave soldiers (Biafran and Nigerian) who fought gallantly and died in Uzuakoli, Calabar, Abagana and Owerri. The war museum that was barely scrapped together at Umuahia deteriorates everyday fiber by fiber and the ‘Old soldiers’ day’ celebrated yearly on the 15th of January has about as much influence on the Nigerian populace as does the ant on the hide of the elephant. These are the real threats to national unity and integration.

This reconstruction project is an all-encompassing one which must either be taken on wholeheartedly or not at all. The pervading bugs of white-elephant projects and ghost organizations must not be allowed near this sacred task. Historians worth their salt need to be engaged by the government in a fact-finding mission; every document or artifact belonging to those thirty months of conflict must be collected and preserved. The ‘Biafran pound’ frames, Nigerian army uniforms and Ogbunigwe at the National war museum in Umuahia need to be dusted off, shined and showcased in glass with renewed pride. Gen. Yakubu Gowon continuously appears in recent news pleading for the attainment of a peaceful Nigeria but he is yet to publish a documentation of his personal memories of the war, as principal an actor as he was in the affair! And every day, so many neglected old men and women die, enriching the soil of the graveyard with the precious stories that are our history. The documentation of such memories is not a nicety to be engaged in at one’s leisure, we must understand; such a task is a mandatory assignment placed upon the actor by the gnarled hands of history. It is a task of so much importance that I envisage the Creator stopping whoever fails at it from proceeding beyond heaven’s gates. Because separated from their history, a people cease to exist.

The climax of this reconstruction agenda would be attained when all of this knowledge and wealth of experiences have been collected together and are then fed to every Nigerian child. From as early as primary education, the Nigerian child should be fed information and facts about the war that played no less than a crucial role in the molding of the country he or she has been born into. The NYSC (which was indeed created as a healing balm for post-war Nigeria in 1973) could be employed as the culmination of these lessons. The information taught would include the facts of events leading up to the war starting with pre-colonial Nigeria to the coup and pogroms of 1966; the reason(s) for the break-out of the war; the primary and secondary actors of the conflict, the various roles they played and the significances thereof; a timeline chronicling all significant events that occurred during the war; post-war attempts at reconstruction, why and how such attempts failed and the relevance thereof to the country’s present situation.

As Rick Warren aptly notes in his book, The Purpose-driven Life,

“pain is the fuel of passion – it energizes us with an intensity to change that we don’t normally possess”

So far, the pain of the Nigerian Civil war, excruciating as it was, has been lost to us all. It is our responsibility therefore, as a nation of people hungry for growth, to resurrect that pain or more aptly, the memories of that pain so that we can fully cash into the strength of its passion.

“…we fall.

All casualties of the war,
Because we cannot hear each other speak…
Because whether we know or
Do not know the extent of wrong on all sides
We are characters now other than before…”

- J.P. Clark, The Casualties

Bibliography

[1] – Microsoft Encarta Premium 2009;
[2] – cumulative Global Hunger Index rankings for 1990, 1996, 2001 and 2012;
[3] – World Bank Reports 2010;
[4] – Petroleum Insights: OPEC’s Top Crude Oil Producers, 2011 – January, 2012 by David Rachovich;
[5] – The Purpose-Driven Life, by Rick Warren.

http://www.inspirenaija.com/2013/11/a-debt-that-must-be-paid-by-chisom.html
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by asha80(m): 7:13am On Nov 21, 2013
op..off topic...you stay in onitsha what is the feeling of the average person on the street over the election imbroglio?
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by ThankGodEdeh(m): 7:14am On Nov 21, 2013
Inspiring & educative.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by obayaya(m): 7:20am On Nov 21, 2013
asha 80: op..off topic...you stay in onitsha what is the feeling of the average person on the street over the election imbroglio?

Bros... there are so many threads on anambra elections all over nairaland.. when we meet there we talk about anambra elections
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by asha80(m): 7:24am On Nov 21, 2013
obayaya:

Bros... there are so many threads on anambra elections all over nairaland.. when we meet there we talk about anambra elections
ok no problems.....as for this topic the people that were at the helm of affairs immediately after the bungled whatever positives that could have been extracted from the war.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by Ngwakwe: 7:26am On Nov 21, 2013

GOVERNOR GODSWILL AKPABIO SPEAKS ON BIAFRA AND GOWON

THEWILL: You have been very vocal lately in dismissing and trashing the then federal military government’s post-civil war efforts at the 3 Rs: Reconstruction, Reconciliation and Rehabilitation. What don’t you agree with?

AKPABIO: As a young man, you definitely will not understand me. But I was a victim of the Civil War. I was one of those who suffered the pains of the war. I was born sometime in 1962; the civil war came really into our area in 1967. So, I was probably five or six years old during the war; and if I had been around nine years, I would probably have been conscripted.

I saw parents throw their children into pit toilets because they did not want their positions to be made known to the enemy. I saw devastation; I saw kwashiorkor; I saw hunger; I was thousands of people and bodies littered everywhere and smelling while vultures had a field day every day. I saw houses destroyed; I saw families scattered such that till the end of the world, they can never gather themselves together again. There were children who were shipped away to Gabon, and they can never come back to Nigeria again because they were small. How would two-year-olds and three-year-olds ever know where they came from? They are proud Gabonese and I don’t think Nigerians are even asking questions.

So, during the Silverbird Man of the Year Award, there were pictures that were shown of the Civil War. Somebody, sitting by me, who is from the West, was asking if those things were acted: the Kwashiorkor-ridden children with their swollen tummies, ugly shapes and bony structures because of hunger and starvation.

The then Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon attempted to explain that he tried everything to avoid the scenes that were being shown on the screen, that he did not want the war. The other person who could have answered him, unfortunately, that is Emeka Ojukwu, is dead. He said he tried everything to stop the war from breaking out but it’s only Ojukwu who could have answered whether he equally did his part in avoiding the war.

But something struck me: it was said that Gowon should be commended for initiating the three Rs: reconciliation, rehabilitation and reconstruction. And I asked a very simple question, that I came with a written text but I wasn’t going to read it. I thanked Silverbird for the award; and I said I did not want to criticise my leaders because I am also now a leader. But I asked to be allowed to ask a question: how come reconstruction started in the West when the war was actually fought in the East? They started the Third Mainland Bridge, the National Theatre, the international airport, and so on, in the West, while the war was fought in the eastern region. And if we really wanted to ensure total reconciliation, how come every account holder in the eastern region was given only £20? It did not matter whether your father had £10,000,000 or £50,000,000 before the war; you were given just £20. It was a take it or leave it situation. If your family survived and there was an account holder alive, he/she went to the bank, and collected just £20.

Could £20 pounds solve the Kwashiorkor that we were seeing? Could it reconstruct the houses that were burnt? Could it produce food? A lot of other things happened that I did not mention on that occasion. Don’t forget that it was shortly after the war in 1971 that the policy of indigenisation started, where most of the foreign industries and companies were sold to Nigerians, and the war-ravaged eastern regions, which include the entire South-South and the rest of them, could not buy, because no one who did not have money to even feed or clothe himself would have had money to buy any industry. So, I was just wondering, as a young man, if that was true reconciliation, because one would have thought that the government would have gone to any extent to give them more money so that they could truly rehabilitate themselves.

They needed money from reconstruction, and I would have thought that reconstruction would have also started from the East. I just asked because we were lucky to have the persona dramatis of the war right in front of us: General T. Y. Danjuma, General Yakubu Gowon, General Buhari and others. It is very rare to see three former heads of state in just one place, so I had to ask.

I said also that it is important, even for the current-day leaders, that we continue to take actions that will unite Nigeria. And we should purge ourselves of actions that tend to cause pains to Nigerians. For me, I believe that because of certain policies of the federal government after the war, the war did not cease in the eastern region until about 30 years after the war.

4 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by eluquenson(m): 7:45am On Nov 21, 2013
Hmm...articles
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by obayaya(m): 8:46am On Nov 21, 2013
asha 80: ok no problems.....as for this topic the people that were at the helm of affairs immediately after the bungled whatever positives that could have been extracted from the war.

exactly.. the war was literally a power tussle.. a scramble for positions after the war is the reason why gowon's 3Rs never succeeded
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by obayaya(m): 8:58am On Nov 21, 2013
[quote author=Ngwakwe][/quote]

Akpabio raised valid points in that statement. but as usual the Nigerian system will neglect such important questions and turn it into a tribal war.

I remember growing up in the east and the wisdom is that Yoruba hates ibos and so do the Hausas. that they are all evil we must avoid.. these statement always come right after my dad talks about the war..

in high school, I was Lucky to have gone to a secondary school that had virtually all the Nigerian tribe.. I developed personal friendships with the Hausas and Yoruba that I was meant to avoid..

I read a lot of books on the war because I wanted to really understand.

the truth is that for us to accept One another in this country, the war history needs to be clarified and taught in our schools.. so that the younger generation will learn from them

else, we are going to pass the prejudicial stories our fathers told us down to our children and the cycle continues
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by Fkforyou(m): 9:43am On Nov 21, 2013
Nice article OP but I don't think we offer history lessons in most of our sec.skul dis days talk more or less to even write in WASSCE......I think that should be the starting point. undecided
Nice article...keep it up.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by obayaya(m): 10:07am On Nov 21, 2013
Fkforyou: Nice article OP but I don't think we offer history lessons in most of our sec.skul dis days talk more or less to even write in WASSCE......I think that should be the starting point. undecided
Nice article...keep it up.

thanks bro.. even from primary school
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by bloggernaija: 4:39pm On Nov 21, 2013
Prof. Chinua Achebe got it all wrong from the title of his latest infamous book “There Was A Country”, right down to the contents. This has expectedly generated a lot of controversies capable of dividing us more than it will unite us. If the foundation is crooked, what should we expect of the structure put atop it? Papa Achebe apparently is still getting carried away by his dream of Biafra so much that he forgot that Biafra is a country that never was.

There was an attempt by the Eastern Region of Nigeria to secede, that attempt did not materialize, the leaders of the rebellious region surrendered, so there was never a country. If a celebrated scholar like Prof. Chinua Achebe believes in his heart that Biafra ever was, then it is easy for us to deduce the quality of the remaining content of the book. It is apparent that it is going to be nothing but Biafra-centric. Like many other writers that have weighed in on the Nigerian Civil War, we know that people will write from their own perspective and their opinion would be colored in most cases by wherever their hearts lie.

Let us examine certain areas from the book that have generated much furor in the polity.

When it comes to how Ojukwu starved his own people to death, by admission of Achebe himself, this is how Rudolf Okonkwo one of the reviewers of the book puts it “Achebe argues that some questions will be debated for generations. One of such questions has to do with the security reasons behind Ojukwu’s rejection of Nigeria’s federal government’s proposal for a road corridor for food and the federal government’s rejection of Ojukwu’s alternative”

When it comes to rejection of Ojukwu’s alternative by the Federal Government of Nigeria, Prof. Achebe was quoted as follows:

”It is my impression that Awolowo was driven by an overriding ambition for power, for himself and for his Yoruba people. There is, on the surface at least, nothing wrong with those aspirations.

“However, Awolowo saw the dominant Igbos at the time as the obstacles to that goal, and when the opportunity arose–the Nigeria-Biafra war–his ambition drove him into a frenzy to go to every length to achieve his dreams. In the Biafran case it meant hatching up a diabolical policy to reduce the numbers of his enemies significantly through starvation — eliminating over two million people, mainly members of future generations.”

This is a wonderful peek into the Biafra centric frame of mind of a man that wrote that attack. So the federal government of Nigeria actually made a proposal for a road corridor for food to the starving women and children of Biafra and Ojukwu rejected it for “security reasons”? That does not really sound like a people with genocidal intentions to me, ask Rwandans if you care to know more on genocidal intentions. Was the Nigerian government not entitled to its own security by making sure that arms were not imported as food supplies? When it comes to Chief Obafemi Awolowo and General Gowon and their security reasons, Achebe quickly concluded that it was “genocidal” and when it comes to Ojukwu, it will only “be debated for generations.” By the way, do beggars really have a choice? You started a war and you are dictating to your opponent on how he can supply you food to sustain the war against him? Did Prof. Achebe know that economic blockade is actually a legitimate weapon of war? It is even used in peace time.

Note that this came from Achebe himself in the same book that he has accused Chief Awolowo of genocide, how more ridiculous could the accusation get? I have deliberately decided not to even look outside of the book to shoot down the deliberate and wicked lies of Prof. Achebe. Of course, there is a ton of information out there to make a lie from this assertion. The two sides according to him disagreed on how food should be supplied to the hungry children of war, but Awolowo ‘a bloody civilian’ in the midst of the Army Generals is the Grinch that stole Christmas, he must be blamed for genocide. Good try Professor, but teacher don’t teach me nonsense!

I am seriously not bothered by the latest outburst of Prof. Achebe against Chief Awolowo. Antagonizing the Yoruba and anything not Igbo has been his past time. He is one of the same persons that lent their false intellectual support to the phantom carpet crossing in the old Western Region house. He expressed dissatisfaction with Wole Soyinka’s winning the Nobel Prize and has always had contempt for anything not originating from the east side of the Niger river. I know that for a man who has been writing fiction books for over 50 years of his life, and has milked one fiction book for the better part of his life, it may have become difficult for him to differentiate between fact and fiction. But I am concerned with how his latest work would affect the already very fragile nation both in content and timing. One would have thought that a man of 81 would have grown beyond the prejudices he has carried in his heart for over 40 years.

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by bloggernaija: 4:39pm On Nov 21, 2013
[/b][/size]THE IGBOS MADE A PLAY FOR SUPREME POWER AND WHEN IT BACKFIRED,THEY TURNED AROUND TO BLAME EVERYBODY BUT THEMSELVES.
TWO COUPS IN A ROW
NZEGWU COUP
IRONSI COUP[size=8pt]
[b]

One would have thought that such a man would also work to foster unity, bridge the gap, use the opportunity presented by writing his war memoirs more to heal the wounds, preach forgiveness and brotherhood rather than making a futile attempt at re-establishing the phantom Igbo dominance and superiority over others and further driving a wedge between Igbo people and other Nigerians. Prof. Achebe according to the review by Rudolf squarely blamed all the problems of Nigeria at the doorsteps of fear of “Igbo domination.” Rudolf may have used the words “domination” and “dominance” more than ten times in the short piece, I say really?

I am one of the people that believe that we have not told the story of the Nigerian Civil War enough, I believe there are many questions that are still left unanswered, this is why it pained me that Chief Dim Ojukwu, the number one hero of that war, failed to write his memoir, but then again, people will be more interested in a dispassionate analysis of the war, the one that told the story robustly as it was, rendering negative opinion where necessary and give positive review to the deserving. I really do not have to wait for the book to have a fair understanding of the content as is being advocated by some sympathizers of Prof. Achebe. I have read a few reviews of the book with some disturbing quotes and jejune conclusion from the Professor, especially the review done by my friend Rudolf Okonkwo, a man whose writing I follow religiously and it is always a delight to read.

I am more concerned with what Prof. Achebe did not write, or maybe it was the reviewers of the book that failed him by not doing proper justice to the content, but I doubt it as Prof. Achebe has a pattern. The wicked lies that have been told against the Yoruba people under the mango trees of the East have persisted for ages, even when many Igbo have come and seen how they have thrived unmolested everywhere in Yoruba land. The lies persist because people like Achebe, an icon of Igbo people, are always there to lend their intellectual falsehood to the tales by the moonlight. I think it is about time to fight back and set the records straight.

The name Awolowo represents one of the brightest spots in the history of theYoruba people. This latest attack on him is an attack on Yoruba history and its people and it has raised this pertinent question for Yoruba people, ‘What do they really want from us?’

It is on record that a party, later known as Zik’s party, the NCNC, was actually led at inception by a Yoruba man Sir Herbert Macaulay and Dr. Azikiwe served as his secretary. It is on record that many Yoruba people were members and moved out en masse when Zik made an infamous statement to his fellow Ibo Union that God has sent Igbo race to liberate Nigeria and he started using his West African Pilot newspaper to drive the Igbo agenda. It was Zik that turned NCNC from national party to Igbo party. That despite the insultive utterances, the party was still popular in the West until Zik insisted on ruling the Western Region against common sense and Ibadan People’s Party gave their votes to Action Group to form the government. People like Achebe came up with the tribalism theory against Awolowo, and in their selective ignorance, they forgot that Azikiwe went back to the East to drive away Eyo Ita who was the Prime Minister because he was from the minority tribe. But nobody talks about that, so what do they really want from us?

It is on record that Chief Awolowo approached Dr. Azikiwe during the 1959 elections when no clear leader emerged to give Action Group votes to him so that Azikiwe can become the Prime Minister and he, Awolowo, the Finance Minister, but Zik turned him down and traded the Prime Ministership for a ceremonial presidency with Tafawa Balewa. Thereby relegated himself to commissioning federal toilets and primary schools.

It is on record that NPC/NCNC alliance was used for maximum effect to oppress the Yoruba and other minorities of the South with Igbo people taking about 97% of whatever is due to the South in a country that understood only North/South dichotomy. The so called Igbo dominance (at the federal level) is traceable to this evil and oppressive alliance, which with federal might, they installed Igbo Vice-Chancellors in Universities in Yorubaland, which was and is still not practicable in their own clime. We did not bulge neither did the Yoruba people complain, so what do they really want from us?

It is on record that Dr. Azikiwe’s alliance with Northern People Congress railroaded Chief Awolowo to prison and he never lifted a finger to support him. Also, Tafawa Balewa offered Chief Obafemi Awolowo Deputy Prime Ministership, while he was in prison, if he would support him but great Awo turned it down. When Aguiyi-Ironsi seized power, he freed all political prisoners and that despite Chief Awolowo passionate plea for his case to be considered, Aguiyi-Ironsi ignored him.

The coup carried out by mostly Igbo soldiers in 1966 killed most of the leadership of the North and West, we do not know if Awolowo would have survived if he was not in prison, no matter what some revisionists are writing about wanting to hand over to Awolowo, they killed almost all the most senior Yoruba military officers and even callously murdered Brigadier Ademulegun and his pregnant wife, and Col Ralph Shodeinde for no apparent reason in a coup supposedly directed at corrupt civilians. The only high ranking member of NCNC that was killed, Chief Okotie-Eboh was not Igbo and had problem with Mbadiwe on the finance portfolio that he held. The latter wanted the ‘juicy’ portfolio but Tafa Balewa rebuffed him, yet we did not start pogrom against Igbo residing in the West.

It is on record that Adekunle Fajuyi a Yorubaman chose to die with Aguiyi-Ironsi; it is on record that Prof. Wole Soyinka and Dr. Tai Solarin went to jail for the Biafran cause, so what do they really want from us?

It is on record that, in despite of everything, Chief Obafemi Awolowo went to Enugu in company of Prof. Sam Aluko and Mariere to persuade Ojukwu not to start the war yet, that he should give him the opportunity to mediate. Ojukwu gave him his words to tarry, but declared a war immediately Awo stepped out of Enugu.

It is on record that many of Awolowo’s Yoruba community shielded their Igbo guests during the war, that there was not a single incident of abandoned property, rather instead the ever accommodating and generous Yoruba people collected and saved rents for Igbo landlords and the money was handed over to them after the war, yet they keep blaming Yoruba people as traitors, so what do they really want from us?

I am not surprised, Prof. Achebe did not disappoint in his latest work, I believe therefore that Prof. Achebe is entitled to his selective senility and convenient amnesia. It is only left for us people of good will to put the record straight for posterity’s sake. Igbo intellectuals of good conscience should help to re-orientate their youths that have been grossly educated, mislead and misinformed by people like Achebe, it is in their interest to do so.

4 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by bloggernaija: 4:40pm On Nov 21, 2013
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by UyiIredia(m): 4:49pm On Nov 21, 2013
Good thinking. Unfortunately, Team Fresh air somehow thinks that teaching the war and forgetting about it will preserve the unionnof this country. Kudos to fallen and living hereos who wrote about the war, I have been honored to meet them and read from some of them, I wish younger ones could learn, in their schools.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by gtrust: 7:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search For the American musician, see Jello Biafra. For the West African bight known as Bight of Biafra, see Bight of Bonny.
Republic of Biafra

1967–1970 →

Flag

Motto
"Peace, Unity, Freedom"
Anthem
Land of the Rising Sun
Green: Republic of Biafra.
Republic of Biafra in May 1967
Capital Enugu
Languages English (official)
Igbo / Ibo (predominant)
Efik · Annang · Ibibio · Ekoi
Government Republic
President C. Odumegwu Ojukwu
Historical era Cold War
- Established 30 May 1967
- Rejoins Federal Nigeria 15 January 1970
Area
- 1967 77,306 km² (29,848 sq mi)
Population
- 1967 est. 13,500,000
Density 174.6 /km² (452.3 /sq mi)
Currency Biafran pound
Minahan, James (2002). Encyclopedia of the Stateless Nations: S-Z. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 762. ISBN 0-313-32384-4.

Biafra, officially the Republic of Biafra, was a secessionist state in south-eastern Nigeria that existed from 30 May 1967 to 15 January 1970, taking its name from the Bight of Biafra (the Atlantic bay to its south).[1]

bloggernaija: Prof. Chinua Achebe got it all wrong from the title of his latest infamous book “There Was A Country”, right down to the contents. This has expectedly generated a lot of controversies capable of dividing us more than it will unite us. If the foundation is crooked, what should we expect of the structure put atop it? Papa Achebe apparently is still getting carried away by his dream of Biafra so much that he forgot that Biafra is a country that never was.

There was an attempt by the Eastern Region of Nigeria to secede, that attempt did not materialize, the leaders of the rebellious region surrendered, so there was never a country. If a celebrated scholar like Prof. Chinua Achebe believes in his heart that Biafra ever was, then it is easy for us to deduce the quality of the remaining content of the book. It is apparent that it is going to be nothing but Biafra-centric. Like many other writers that have weighed in on the Nigerian Civil War, we know that people will write from their own perspective and their opinion would be colored in most cases by wherever their hearts lie.

Let us examine certain areas from the book that have generated much furor in the polity.

When it comes to how Ojukwu starved his own people to death, by admission of Achebe himself, this is how Rudolf Okonkwo one of the reviewers of the book puts it “Achebe argues that some questions will be debated for generations. One of such questions has to do with the security reasons behind Ojukwu’s rejection of Nigeria’s federal government’s proposal for a road corridor for food and the federal government’s rejection of Ojukwu’s alternative”

When it comes to rejection of Ojukwu’s alternative by the Federal Government of Nigeria, Prof. Achebe was quoted as follows:

”It is my impression that Awolowo was driven by an overriding ambition for power, for himself and for his Yoruba people. There is, on the surface at least, nothing wrong with those aspirations.

“However, Awolowo saw the dominant Igbos at the time as the obstacles to that goal, and when the opportunity arose–the Nigeria-Biafra war–his ambition drove him into a frenzy to go to every length to achieve his dreams. In the Biafran case it meant hatching up a diabolical policy to reduce the numbers of his enemies significantly through starvation — eliminating over two million people, mainly members of future generations.”

This is a wonderful peek into the Biafra centric frame of mind of a man that wrote that attack. So the federal government of Nigeria actually made a proposal for a road corridor for food to the starving women and children of Biafra and Ojukwu rejected it for “security reasons”? That does not really sound like a people with genocidal intentions to me, ask Rwandans if you care to know more on genocidal intentions. Was the Nigerian government not entitled to its own security by making sure that arms were not imported as food supplies? When it comes to Chief Obafemi Awolowo and General Gowon and their security reasons, Achebe quickly concluded that it was “genocidal” and when it comes to Ojukwu, it will only “be debated for generations.” By the way, do beggars really have a choice? You started a war and you are dictating to your opponent on how he can supply you food to sustain the war against him? Did Prof. Achebe know that economic blockade is actually a legitimate weapon of war? It is even used in peace time.

Note that this came from Achebe himself in the same book that he has accused Chief Awolowo of genocide, how more ridiculous could the accusation get? I have deliberately decided not to even look outside of the book to shoot down the deliberate and wicked lies of Prof. Achebe. Of course, there is a ton of information out there to make a lie from this assertion. The two sides according to him disagreed on how food should be supplied to the hungry children of war, but Awolowo ‘a bloody civilian’ in the midst of the Army Generals is the Grinch that stole Christmas, he must be blamed for genocide. Good try Professor, but teacher don’t teach me nonsense!

I am seriously not bothered by the latest outburst of Prof. Achebe against Chief Awolowo. Antagonizing the Yoruba and anything not Igbo has been his past time. He is one of the same persons that lent their false intellectual support to the phantom carpet crossing in the old Western Region house. He expressed dissatisfaction with Wole Soyinka’s winning the Nobel Prize and has always had contempt for anything not originating from the east side of the Niger river. I know that for a man who has been writing fiction books for over 50 years of his life, and has milked one fiction book for the better part of his life, it may have become difficult for him to differentiate between fact and fiction. But I am concerned with how his latest work would affect the already very fragile nation both in content and timing. One would have thought that a man of 81 would have grown beyond the prejudices he has carried in his heart for over 40 years.

Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by Fkforyou(m): 8:27pm On Nov 21, 2013
@blogger naija pls how do you know all this stuffs...i really want to know....tanx..keep it up.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by DerideGull(m): 8:46pm On Nov 21, 2013
Fkforyou: @blogger naija pls how do you know all this stuffs...i really want to know....tanx..keep it up.

Do you not know the bloggernaija ancestral lineage? How do you remotely insinuate a lapper such as bloggernaija has average intellect to formulate such thoughtful lines? The jackass is a tender of “copy and paste” which is evidently displayed when he/she removed the source and author of the piece.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by SamIkenna: 9:32pm On Nov 21, 2013
bloggernaija: Prof. Chinua Achebe got it all wrong from the title of his latest infamous book “There Was A Country”, right down to the contents. This has expectedly generated a lot of controversies capable of dividing us more than it will unite us. If the foundation is crooked, what should we expect of the structure put atop it? Papa Achebe apparently is still getting carried away by his dream of Biafra so much that he forgot that Biafra is a country that never was.

After looking at the emboldened above please do us a favor and tell us where your own heart lie as you take us to "school." Its not enough to lampoon Achebe and belittle his body of work because he took a shot at your 'beloved.' Every human belongs to a 'side' no matter how objective and saintly he claims. So, since its ok to dismiss Achebe's war account because he was a 'Biafran,' we would like to know your own side of the divide - Nigeria or Biafra? And when you're done, tell us why we should believe your story given the side you belong to.

Most of the war players said their piece before they went six feet under so what is it that Achebe said about Awo that Awo didnt implicitly or explicitly corroborate when he was alive. Did Awo not say all is fair in warfare? Starvation is a weapon of warfare? Did he deny the 20 pounds policy?

I remember one documentary on Sadam and the Iraqi Kurds in which Iraqis were praising and exonerating Sadam on the chemical attack on the Kurds. They praised their leader and blamed the attack on Iranians. However, when the camera beams on the Kurdish side you get a feeling of their real belief, ie - they know who's responsible for the chemical attack.

So I wonder, isn't it puzzling that same way someone in Bagdad knows "accurately" what happened in Kurdistan is the same way some fellas who've never seen 'our falling' Niger Bridge know "everything" about Biafran war account, effort, plight, and story. Hmm! Interesting!

Simply put - we know the truth so we don't need anyone, let alone our wartime enemies, to tell us our story. We love you guys though. However, what is sacrosanct is that no matter how good and quick a lie is, truth will eventually catch up and justice will be done.

4 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by DerideGull(m): 9:53pm On Nov 21, 2013
@bloggernaija

When I got to the point that reads “It is on record that Adekunle Fajuyi a Yorubaman chose to die with Aguiyi-Ironsi”, I concluded the entire balderdash was attempt on idiotic stunt.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:13pm On Nov 21, 2013
The US civil war and that of Nigeria are different. There was no way the FG led by Yakubu Gowon could have let the defunct Eastern Region to secede, because it was an integral part of the larger Nigeria.
The southern states ie the Confederate State was different. Based on what late came to be known as "compact theory", they argued that the original 13 colonies that formed the US did so without being forced. They joined it voluntarily, and as such could decide to leave at any time.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by Onlytruth(m): 10:19pm On Nov 21, 2013
Orlando Owoh: The US civil war and that of Nigeria are different. There was no way the FG led by Yakubu Gowon could have let the defunct Eastern Region to secede, because it was an integral part of the larger Nigeria.
The southern states ie the Confederate State was different. Based on what late came to be known as "compact theory", they argued that the original 13 colonies that formed the US did so without being forced. They joined it voluntarily, and as such could decide to leave at any time.

I believe that the theory applies more to Nigeria because the regions that formed Nigeria could have gained independence separately in 1957.
Those who failed to cease that opportunity are the greatests killers of black man's future.

Nothing stopped them from gaining independence then, and maybe later re-uniting under a better deal negotiated by FREE Africans.
The deal they got was basically manipulated - a trojan horse, and we've been saddled with the bloodshed and destruction in its wake ever since.
Quite sad.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by docsholz(m): 10:33pm On Nov 21, 2013
@bloggernaija well said, I'm truly impressed
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:35pm On Nov 21, 2013
Onlytruth:

I believe that the theory applies more to Nigeria because the regions that formed Nigeria could have gained independence separately in 1957.
Those who failed to cease that opportunity are the greatests killers of black man's future.

Nothing stopped them from gaining independence then, and maybe later re-uniting under a better deal negotiated by FREE Africans.
The deal they got was basically manipulated - a trojan horse, and we've been saddled with the bloodshed and destruction in its wake ever since.
Quite sad.
1957 was different from 1960: In 1957, if I'm not making a mistake, had the Lyttleton Constitution in operation. In 1960, it was the Independent Constitution. But in the United States it is the same constitution, though with some amendments, that has been in use.
In the United States, states are not created; rather existing territories through acquisition, wars or request are admitted into the Union. In the late 1950s Hawaii, Obama's state requested and was accepted as the 50th state.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by Dibiachukwu: 11:08pm On Nov 21, 2013
Their is no reconciliation of the nations in Nigeria. It is not going to ever happen. How many times would you have to be killed to realise that these other Nigerian nations are just plain evil. All you efulefu Igbos. When the next war starts. You must look up to your heathen friends. I choose my own people and my own God. To hell with efulefu (one Nigeria) Igbos, and their heathen friends. We should be talking about building our own nation according to the precepts of our eternal King Yawanachiai. But no, we have to listen demented one Nigeria Igbo fools. How many times have you been proven wrong. May God punish any Igbo fool that opens his/her putrid mouth to say one Nigeria again. There is no mixing of devils and angels. They were created to be different. One to be an eternal enemy to the other. This is a fact of creation.

Let me tell you the truth

Genesis 2

9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant
to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the
garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of
it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

We are the sons of the soil. They are not. We are the sons of the promise, they are not

We were called, They were not

The tree of the Knowledge of good and evil is not an apple. It is the doctrine from evil people/devils that dwelt in Eden. These are the same non-Israelite spirits that make up the earth now.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by Dibiachukwu: 11:14pm On Nov 21, 2013
Doubt me?
Here is the Apostle Pawali (Paul) explaining part of it.

[b]Romans 9

1 I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness
in the Holy Ghost,
2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my
kinsmen according to the flesh:
4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the
covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the
promises;
5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who
is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all
Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but,
In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the
children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sarah shall
have a son.
10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our
father Isaac;
11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or
evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works,
but of him that callethwink
12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I
will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God
that sheweth mercy.
17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I
raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be
declared throughout all the earth.
18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he
hardeneth.
19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath
resisted his will?
20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing
formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one
vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
[/b]
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by DerideGull(m): 3:19am On Nov 22, 2013
doc sholz: @bloggernaija well said, I'm truly impressed

The article was not the handiwork of moronic dingbat called bloggernaija. It was an article written by a Yoruba plagiarist who claimed to be a staff of PWC during the fiery debate about “There was a Country”.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by debetmx(m): 8:48am On Nov 22, 2013
DerideGull: @bloggernaija

When I got to the point that reads “It is on record that Adekunle Fajuyi a Yorubaman chose to die with Aguiyi-Ironsi”, I concluded the entire balderdash was attempt on idiotic stunt.

Demented and Deluded Old Fool, Maj. Gen Aguiyi Ironsi, Lt. Colonels Adekunle Fajuyi and Hilary Njoku all slept and woke up in the Government Lodge on July 29, 1966.

Where was the ibo Lt. Colonel (Hilary Njoku) when Ironsi and Fajuyi were arrested?
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by debetmx(m): 9:11am On Nov 22, 2013
DerideGull:

The article was not the handiwork of moronic dingbat called bloggernaija. It was an article written by a Yoruba plagiarist who claimed to be a staff of PWC during the fiery debate about “There was a Country”.

@ Deluded gull,

You are a pathetic loudmouthed amnesia patient who makes wild and spurious allegations you cannot back up.

Kindly present your proof or facts that Damola Awoyokun is plagiarist or you forever shut that "IGBO" infested mouth of yours. Also I am waiting for the list of platoon sergeants you said were awarded the Military Cross with Lt. Colonel Adekunle Fajuyi in Congo too?
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by obayaya(m): 3:47pm On Nov 24, 2013
the different accounts of the war from the different section of the country is the reason why I believe we need to research into war and get the real facts (not truncated Accounts to justify the actions of a particular region or people) and teach it in schools

The details of the war isn't clear to grown up Nigerians not to talk of children..
Re: The Nigerian Civil War: A Debt That Must Be Paid by Raustin(m): 9:22pm On Jun 01, 2020
Is there any where i can download pdf books on the civil war?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soldiers Dug Hole To Enter Boko Haram Kingpin’s Home In Kaduna / Unveiling Governor Ayo Fayose’s 5 Children / See What Some Nigerians Thinks About Radio Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.