Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,596 members, 7,820,136 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off (1402 Views)

A Keke Operator Sleeps Inside His Keke At Night (Photo) / 7 Occasions You Should Never Consider Taking 'selfies' / Why Government Should Ban Bangers this xmas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off by brushparke(m): 8:40am On Nov 21, 2013
Before now, we had the menace of Okada riders and Nigerians, so many of them lost lives, limbs to the recklessness of these riders. It is common knowledge that there was no official preparatory process for them and so everyone who needed a way of making ends meet that could afford to buy a Motorcycle, sets out without the rudimentary knowledge of using the road.
All they needed to do was learn how to manipulate the machine and off they went. They ride like they own the roads, like no one else plies the road at all times and bump into anyone whether he/she has the right of way was never an issue.

Then the government probably to follow the trend in the country at that time, decided to place a ban on the use of Motor bikes only to replace them with tricycles.

Tricycles first became a means of commercial transportation in Nigeria when it was introduced by the then military governor or Lagos state, Gen. Buba Marwa to operate within back-streets and carry only three passengers on very short trips.
http://uyocalyaxis.com/the-keke-marwa-menace-in-uyo-and-why-government-should-consider-taking-them-off-the-roads/

Re: The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off by brushparke(m): 8:42am On Nov 21, 2013
Keke’ is the Yoruba word for bicycle. This was a new one to Lagosians and unlike the regular bicycle and motor bike, it had three tires. In order to distinguish them, they called it ‘keke Marwa’ i.e. Marwa’s Bicycle. Gen. Buba Marwa ensured they never plied the highways and never carried more than three. The front can only carry the rider and so they were not allowed to carry any passenger in front.

Well, all these have since been violated and it has also become a menace just like its predecessor. The menace has spread to the length and breadth of Nigeria and has landed here in Akwa Ibom.

In Akwa Ibom, it is called simply Kękę instead of Kėkė.

The uncommon transformation of the state governor is the major victim or the invasion, as despite the efforts put in place to make the roads better and safer, with keke riders as the major violators of road traffic regulations, the roads remain as unsafe as ever. One day I had to take out time to find out from one of them, why no keke rider ever bordered to look at the side mirrors.

It seems to me they haven’t been told the side mirrors were meant to be used. They are all oblivious of its existence while on the roads as they swerve from right to left at will without considering there could be a vehicle coming from behind.
http://uyocalyaxis.com/the-keke-marwa-menace-in-uyo-and-why-government-should-consider-taking-them-off-the-roads/
Re: The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off by brushparke(m): 8:43am On Nov 21, 2013
Even the rowdy sight of them on our roads, make Uyo look like some peasant farming community in Vietnam as you can see in the photo.

This government has what it takes, and in the past has shown great insight and willingness to make life better for Akwa Ibomites. Let’s move from this chaos to some decency. Taxis or Buses will do better and are safer. If need be, we can adopt the Bus-Rapid-transit. My 2 cents.
Re: The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off by nedu2000(m): 9:34am On Nov 21, 2013
I don't how Uyo is setup because I don't stay there,but in lagos there are small,moderately inhabited areas where buses can't ply,thus keke.....to sieve away bikes & kekes as means of commercial transportation,the city has to be planned(urban planning) with ideal road networks
Re: The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off by ebamma(m): 9:39am On Nov 21, 2013
My friend will u shut up,do u know how many people that depend on keke riding to feed their families?

1 Like

Re: The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off by Kcxee(m): 11:50am On Nov 21, 2013
Are ready to feed d riders n their family 4 d fact dat u r privileged to live okay dose nt make any better than dem so y do want to infringe n impose more poverty on dem b careful.
Re: The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off by Danhumprey: 6:33pm On Nov 21, 2013
ebamma: My friend will u shut up,do u know how many people that depend on keke riding to feed their families?
Abeg,make una help me ask am oooo angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off by BabaTony: 7:20am On Nov 22, 2013
Oh dear! See army of keke. shocked shocked shocked shocked Shi..t, these guys have to be regulated as soon as possible. This is no urban transport. Damn!
Re: The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off by africastar(m): 11:54am On Nov 28, 2013
brushparke: ../..
Then the government probably to follow the trend in the country at that time, decided to place a ban on the use of Motor bikes only to replace them with tricycles.

Tricycles first became a means of commercial transportation in Nigeria when it was introduced by the then military governor or Lagos state, Gen. Buba Marwa to operate within back-streets and carry only three passengers on very short trips.
SO NOW !!! This is IT ! KEKE Professional drivers in NAIRALAND may register on mobile ready directory of KEKE tricycles for FREE so far
on www.KEKE.TEL for early birds !!!
In LAGOS easier to get listed directly to http://KEKEMARWA.TEL to avoid collateral effects on business reduction after recent restrictions from the government, which impact revenues for drivers, and ease of cheaper transportation for Lagosians.

End users will keep calling Professional drivers with modern and confortable up to date KEKE more easily and regularly if listed on such memorable easy to browse mobile directory , accessible even from your feature phone over WAP/GPRS , not only BBY ;+) . Just try , now ....
Re: The Keke Marwa Menace In Uyo And Why Government Should Consider Taking Them Off by africastar(m): 12:07pm On Nov 28, 2013
africastar:
..../.... www.KEKE.TEL and http://KEKEMARWA.TEL in LAGOS
Yu can visit from your mobile phone with following QR code , or enter directly the url on your cell keypad . Enjoy VIDEO on board KEKE !!!

(1) (Reply)

Can You Make Me .....??? / Sermon Jotters: Wonderful Testimony Of Ex-hindu Worshipper / Dan Kunle: How Government Can Fix The Steel Sector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.