Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,570 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have (6012 Views)

Pls Who Can List The Best Sites To Download Pc Games On Mobile(android Phone) / Who Can List 100 Preventive Or Maintenance Tool Of A System / Linux or Windows Operating System? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by scantee(m): 4:00pm On Jul 19, 2008
PLEASE WHAT ARE THE OPERATING SYSTEMS WE HAVE

WHO CAN NAME THEM FOR ME.
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by uspry1(f): 11:17pm On Jul 19, 2008
There are only three top operating systems (bold text) people use based on their own personal preferences at below:

1. Windows OS:
[list]
[li]Windows XP (after June 30, 2008 no more marketing--work on 512MB RAM and 60-160GB hard disk drive),[/li]

[li] Windows Vista
(must be higher 1-4GB RAM and 160-320GB hard disk drive requirement---will not accept older computer/laptop less than 512MB RAM)[/li]
[/list]

2. Macintosh (from Apple) OS: Mac

3. Linux OS: (10 top)---choose one or two if u want dual boot.
[list]
[li] a. Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron,[/li]
[li] b. openSUSE,[/li]
[li] c. Fedora,[/li]
[li] d. Debian,[/li]
[li] e. Mandriva,[/li]
[li] f. PCLinuxOS, [/li]
[li] g. Mepis,[/li]
[li] h. Knoppix,[/li]
[li] i. slackware,[/li]
[li] j. Gentoo Linux,[/li]
[li] and k. FreeBSD.[/li]

[li]All Linux OS work older computer systems with 512MB RAM and 40GB-80GB hard disk drive as well as newer systems. If you have less than 512MB RAM, please pick "minimal optimization" during Linux OS installation.[/li]
[/list]

Some people use Dual Boot for Windows OS, Mac OS and Linux OS on one computer/laptop system to choose which OS to boot, no problem.

For example some people are dedicated graphic designers, AutoCAD engineer, and video/music producers, web hosting administrators as well as heavy interactive games, then their systems must be between 160GB and 320GB hard disk drive and largest RAM memory chip at least 512MB or 1-4GB, depend on what type of system you use for.

some people are just regular user, no need largest hard disk drive and RAM memory chip for internet, email, and office productivity (word processing, spreadsheet, basic database).

Hope it helps!
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by uspry1(f): 11:26pm On Jul 19, 2008
Best 6 top web browsers are:

[list]
[li]Firefox (Windows/Linux) (Free) [/li]
[li]Opera (Windows) (Free) [/li]
[li]Microsoft Internet Explorer (Free) [/li]
[li]Camino (Free) [/li]
[li]Safari (Mac) (Free) [/li]
[li]Opera Mini (Free) [/li]
[/list]
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by scantee(m): 9:39am On Jul 21, 2008
@uspry

thanks very much
but which one do you think is the best, and why
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by Ejike3: 8:42pm On Jul 28, 2008
There is an OS called WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER.
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by uspry1(f): 8:49pm On Jul 28, 2008
Ejike3:

There is an OS called WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER.

Windows Media Center is not a OS. This is application program (software) designed to serve as a home-entertainment hub under the following OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition and premium editions of Windows Vista (Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate).

See wiki link - What is Windows Media Center? for detail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Center
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by DoubleN(m): 3:50pm On Jul 29, 2008
U forgot to include Redhat Linux! grin
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by uspry1(f): 4:47pm On Jul 29, 2008
Double N:

You forgot to include Redhat Linux! grin

Nope! I did not forget about RedHat Linux. I talk about 10 TOP LINUX that is hottest (hotcake) all over the world where most ppl download all the time. I stick with the linux distro watch site all the time.

If I put 25 TOP LINUX, i am sure RedHat Linux will be there listed. grin grin grin
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:34pm On Jul 29, 2008
uspry1:

Nope! I did not forget about RedHat Linux. I talk about 10 TOP LINUX that is hottest (hotcake) all over the world where most people download all the time. I stick with the linux distro watch site all the time.

If I put 25 TOP LINUX, i am sure RedHat Linux will be there listed. grin grin grin

Thats a good one. Anyway redhat isn't that bad grin grin its just tailored towards industrial use and that why it controls a large share of the server market. My first linux distro was Redhat 9. Remember the days. Awful. Not because it was bad but because it wasn't really user friendly. Then came Ubuntu (God bless fissayo and skima where ever they are). Ubuntu full launched me into the linux world, giving me a balance between power and user friendliness. Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Dapper Drake can't forget it.

PS: To get a complete list of Oses, wikipedia has some great stuff there.
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by Ejike3: 12:18pm On Jul 31, 2008
Yes Moderator, thanks for the correction. Windows XP Media Center is the name. The OS are pre-installed by the system manufacturer.
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by scantee(m): 4:39pm On Jul 31, 2008
@all

thanks for the os you people have listed

please i want know if is the same procedures we are using to load xp (os) and Linux (os)
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by wumi11: 5:27am On Aug 01, 2008
I feel am little late from the real fun here

I think you guys forgot to mention

Novell Netware and Unix

those two are operating Systems too

And man Windows always stand out as the best because its easy to use though Apple is great
For Graphics and Video Editing While linux has always been known to have highly Secure servers.

Thanx

Man as per the installatuins they(the Os) all got their issues, but i must tell you Windows is the easiest
Some linux distributions come with up to 4Cds, you can imagine how long it will take to extract files from those
they have different processes even though you have to run the same cd booting configuration as windows. they are all different;

I got my Question here too,

Who can tell me the Faster Mobile telecommunication Internet service Provider in Nigeria?
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by tobidaflava(m): 8:24am On Aug 01, 2008
Still counting.
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by uspry1(f): 3:33pm On Aug 01, 2008
wumi11:

I feel am little late from the real fun here

I think you guys forgot to mention

Novell Netware and Unix

those two are operating Systems too

And man Windows always stand out as the best because its easy to use though Apple is great
For Graphics and Video Editing While linux has always been known to have highly Secure servers.

@wumi11

Wrong again about Novell Netware.  We talk about HARDWARE OPERATING SYSTEM, not NETWORK OPERATING SYSTEM. Unix is still listed under LINUX and BSD for the same hardware OS procedures/principles.

You don't know the difference between hardware operating system and network operating system.

According to the wikipedia, NOVELL NETWARE is a network operating system developed by Novell, Inc. It initially used cooperative multitasking to run various services on a PC, and the network protocols were based on the archetypal Xerox XNS stack.

NetWare has been superseded by Open Enterprise Server (OES). The latest version of NetWare is v6.5 Support Pack 7, which is identical to OES 2, NetWare Kernel.

For more details about NOVELL NETWARE, >>CLICK HERE<<

Another according to the wikipedia, UNIX (officially trademarked as UNIX, sometimes also written as Unix with small caps) is a computer operating system originally developed in 1969 by a group of AT&T employees at Bell Labs including Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and Douglas McIlroy. Today's Unix systems are split into various branches, developed over time by AT&T as well as various commercial vendors and non-profit organizations.

Today, in addition to certified Unix systems, Unix-like operating systems such as Linux and BSD are commonly encountered. Sometimes, "traditional Unix" may be used to describe a Unix or an operating system that has the characteristics of either Version 7 Unix or UNIX System V.

For more details about UNIX, >>CLICK HERE<<

I hope you understand this clearly about the difference about OS.

Finally, i do not live in Nigeria to answer your question at below:

Who can tell me the Faster Mobile telecommunication Internet service Provider in Nigeria?
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by uspry1(f): 4:14pm On Aug 01, 2008
scantee:

@all

thanks for the os you people have listed

please i want know if is the same procedures we are using to load xp (os) and Linux (os)

@scantee

You ask us to know if there is the same procedures using to load XP OS and Linux OS.

1. Both are same how to install OS, but different format: pre-installed, CD, or download iso file. Both are very largest file size over 450MB.

2. Both XP and Linux are different for unzipped file: XP uses .exe, .winRAR and .zip while Linux uses .tar gz and .deb.

3. Both are same functionality to access system using menu but different names as below:

XP: Start button with sub-menus such as All Programs, My Document, My Pictures, My Music, My Computer, Control Panel, goes on,

Linux: Applications, Places, System. (each menu has multiple sub-menus to select, I can't list all because individual choose Full, minual, or custom Linux installation differently)

4. XP has limited applications you have to buy separately such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Products (Photoshop, Dreamwaver, Flash, Illustrator, Indesign), other. While Linux has over 4,000 free applications via Add/Remove Applications or Synatic Package Manager to select what you want to install---very few commerical applications.

5. Both XP and Linux has different names for Instant Messengers such as Yahoo Messenger, MSN/Windows Live.

6. XP is easy to uninstall OS entirely by formatting, while Linux is difficult to uninstall---use XP OS CD to boot up selecting "R" to repair with the command 'FIXMDR" to wipe off Linux partition off the system. (i provide step-by-step uninstall Linux on different topic somewhere, not here).

7. Both XP and Linux has different system command differently, not the same!!!

8. XP does work on any Windows applications. Linux needs to add WINE emulator software for Windows applications installing on Linux system make them work. Not all of Windows applications work on Linux system, you have to look up WINE site FIRST seeing which Windows Applications work on Linux system before you install them.

For example, Microsoft Office 2008 will not work on Linux system but only Microsoft Office XP does work on Linux system. Adobe Flash CS3 will not work on Linux system but Macromedia Flash MX (version 6, old) does work on Linux system. You see my point! So WINE system programmers still work on fixing bugs on all new version Windows applications to make it work on Linux system. (NOT ONLY LINUX, also other such as BSD, Fedora, and MAC).

9. There are hundred listings comparing XP and Linux procedures---some same and some different.

That is why most PC users prefer DUAL-BOOT for both XP and Linux OS allowing to switch back and forth on needed Windows Application on their system---no problem!!!

You can have installed both OS: XP and Ubuntu on your system. Your system boot prompt asking you which OS you want----wait for your respond within 10-30 seconds. If no respond from you, then your system boot assumes to choose the default OS by order.

I hope you get the bigger picture how OS works!!!
Re: Who Can List Out All The Operating System We Have by tvreporter: 6:55pm On Jul 04, 2015
Operating system is a program that serves as a link or interface between computer and the user. We have Disk Operating System, we also have Windows Operating System

(1) (Reply)

Switching Between Proxy Configuration Made Easy Using Multiproxy / Google To Include People's Gmail In Search Results / Please, I Need Activation Key For Easyworship 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.