Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship (1030 Views)

Michel Platini Has Withdrawn From FIFA Presidential Race / Nigeria Vs Mali. African U23 Championship (3 - 2) On 29th November 2015 / FIFA Bans Blatter, Platini (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by davidif: 4:40pm On Jul 19, 2008
the man has passed a bill to increase the number of teams participating in the Euros from 16 to 24. That means that unfortunately, we would be seeing the likes of San Marino, Andorra and Cyprus which would really dilute the competition. Chai, what a shame. cry cry
http://www.inthenews.co.uk/sports/football/euro08/uefa-expand-euro-championships-in-2016-$1229428.htm
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by A40(m): 6:23pm On Jul 19, 2008
@davidif
You and the sensational headlines sef? I wonder why you are suprised how do you think he got there in the first place? he got there by promising to fight for the rights of those minnows in European football thats the only way one can explain the crazy moves he has been making since becoming Uefa President
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by Cristalz(f): 6:51pm On Jul 19, 2008
16 to 24? shocked

Is this still a Championship event? undecided
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by Pataki: 7:04pm On Jul 19, 2008
Can someone please tell me what is wrong with what Michel has said? 16 - 24, what is wrong with that? In the early 80's how many teams took part in the championship?
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by mukina2: 7:09pm On Jul 19, 2008
I am really not surprised, Platini is crazy. he might as well rename the competition.
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by A40(m): 7:10pm On Jul 19, 2008
At least England dont have to worry about missing the next Euros

mukina2:

I am really not surprised, Platini is crazy. he might as well rename the competition.

Thats a good one grin grin
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by mukina2: 7:34pm On Jul 19, 2008
Na true na grin

maybe England's hand is in this one grin

you have a point. they want to yell and hype and lose over and over again grin
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by Ibime(m): 7:57pm On Jul 19, 2008
They should cut it down to 12 sef. I got really bored watching teams like Poland and Switzerland in the last one.
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 20, 2008
Ibime:

They should cut it down to 12 sef. I got really bored watching teams like Poland and Switzerland in the last one.

I skipped most of the group games. What's the point watching Austria? They'll never win even if other teams played with one leg.

Maybe they shld just go to a semifinal stage straight - France, Germany, Italy, Spain or Holland.
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by akinalabi(m): 1:25pm On Jul 20, 2008
Na elitism dey worry all of una.
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by A40(m): 6:37pm On Jul 20, 2008
@muki
Those guys are pitiful empty barrels that make the most noise

Sincerely though in a regional or continental tournament 16 teams should do
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by mukina2: 6:43pm On Jul 20, 2008
nor mind Platini , by the time he destroys the tourney like he did Les bleus, Uefa will wake up.

am sure the English fans will applaud this development .noisy people
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by nateevs(m): 10:52pm On Jul 20, 2008
Nobody has actually explained how more teams will kill the championship. . . . good stuff as far as I am concerned. . .
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by DrKitaun(m): 12:47am On Jul 21, 2008
@nateevs

well said !
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by DisGuy: 1:23am On Jul 21, 2008
mukina2:

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/167449/uefa-to-vote-on-proposal-to-rename-the-uefa-cup
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by yommys01(m): 8:20am On Jul 21, 2008
no crime committed , it will only give the small countries an opportunity to compete why do you think FIFA allows 32 teams in the world cup.
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by tkb417(m): 10:43am On Jul 21, 2008
at least, England will qualify for the tourney. thats a good one
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by folahann(m): 6:02pm On Jul 21, 2008
yommys01:

no crime committed , it will only give the small countries an opportunity to compete why do you think FIFA allows 32 teams in the world cup.

What is the difference between Europe and World? undecided
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by davidif: 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2008
@A-40
You and the sensational headlines sef?

My good friend, sobriety in the media doesn't sell just sensationalism, that's why british newspapers like "the sun" sell a lot ha ha.
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by A40(m): 6:40pm On Jul 22, 2008
yommys01:

Because they are about 200 teams in the world and less than 60 in europe its simple logic anything above 16 is too much

@davidif
Are you a media man?
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by dayokanu(m): 10:14am On Jul 23, 2008
@A-40,

The quality in the world is usually provided by Europe and South America. What does Asia, Africa and CONCACAF contribute other than to make the competition goal record look ridiculous.

Check the cricket scoreline in world cup history.

Yugoslavia 9 Zaire 0

Germany 8 Saudi Arabia 0

Hungary 9 Korea 0

Hungary 11 El Salvador 1
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by A40(m): 2:23pm On Jul 23, 2008
@dayokanu
Yeah obviously everyone knows its between Europe and South America infact as for South America i can only include Brazil and Argentina
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by dayokanu(m): 2:42pm On Jul 23, 2008
Because they are about 200 teams in the world and less than 60 in europe its simple logic anything above 16 is too much

Meaning we can have 16 quality teams from Europe while we would struggle to get 2 quality teams from Africa, Asia and CONCACAF.

E.g in France 98, South Anerica had 5 representatives just like Africa 4 of South America got to the Second round. Chile, paraguay, Brazil, Argentina

While in Africa just one country made it to the Second round Nigeria. Cameroun got bashed 3-0, Nigeria got bashed 4-1, South Africa got bashed 3-0 and Morroco too got bashed 3-0. Tunisia lost all their games I think .
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by davidif: 1:53pm On Jul 26, 2008
I thought blatter was the worst administrator in world football, but it seems that monsieur platini is competing with this guy over that position and who gets there name more in the media.
Re: Michel Platini Has Killed The European Championship by davidif: 9:34am On Jul 29, 2008
@A-40
Are you a media man?
No my man. grin

(1) (Reply)

Kobe The Highest Paid In Nba, Where Are Nigerians? / Shame To Jonathan: We Can't Watch AFCON Live On NTA! / Emenike: Keshi Used And Dumped Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.