Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,115 members, 7,811,135 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 - Education (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 (202283 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:14am On Nov 23, 2013
Good Morning y'all... I pray for a positive outcome in yesterday's meeting.. Amen... And I wish y'all a happy and fun filled day ahead... #peace
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by mashnino(m): 12:29am On Nov 23, 2013
LogoDWhiz: Good Morning y'all... I pray for a positive outcome in yesterday's meeting.. Amen... And I wish y'all a happy and fun filled day ahead... #peace

Hmmm are you sure they even did the meeting.. There was no concrete news around it... But i jez hope dey did the meeting sha...
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by kommiejewel(f): 12:35am On Nov 23, 2013
[quote
author=otokx]There is a rumor that an autopsy on the dead body revals a
bullet; if that is so then it is a great pity.[/quote]
Dat gives us more reason 2 assume dat dis strike is political, ASUU is jst a puppet nd dat d puppeteer who must've foresaw d outcome of dat mtg tried 2 stop it by any means possible. Nd finally dat they succeeded. . sad
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by odizeey(m): 1:08am On Nov 23, 2013
killemslim: thought u were d odiri I knw in ma class.no p bro u gonna enjoy ur skul lyf if ASUU succeeds in dia struggles if not...
thnks
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by nurmanteasynoni: 1:13am On Nov 23, 2013
If no be say this people na uncomprehendable lazy people,, why will u do a meeting yesterday and announce the outcome today,, it maKes no sense,, how long does it take to say the strike has been called off.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Ayima: 1:28am On Nov 23, 2013
23rd November, 2013

Home
Again, ASUU leaders meet, set to suspend strike

NOVEMBER 23, 2013 BY KAMARUDEEN OGUNDELE
Leave a Comment

National President, ASUU, Nasir Issa-Faggae
There is strong indication that academic activities may resume in the nation’s public universities early next week, Saturday Punch has gathered.

Our correspondent gathered on Friday that members of the National Executive Council of the Academic Staff Union of the Universities again converged on Kano to deliberate on whether to call off their over four months old industrial action or not.

The NEC members, who gathered at the Bayero University, Kano, penultimate week to review the reports of the various university congresses over the strike, suspended the meeting following the death of Dr. Festus Iyayi. Iyayi, a University of Benin lecturer and former ASUU president, who died in an auto accident involving the convoy of the Kogi State Governor, Idris Wada, on his way to Kano to attend the NEC meeting.

There has been no date yet for the interment of his remains.

However, feelers from Kano on Friday indicated that the ASUU members went into hiding for the meeting.

One of our correspondents gathered that the NEC members, who reconvened in BUK, on Thursday, retired to a secret location for the meeting.

Reporters made frantic efforts to trace the venue of the meeting without success.

But many vehicles belonging to the members of the union were seen on campus.

But a member of ASUU NEC, who craved anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the development, confirmed to our correspondent that the union leaders were converging on Kano for the meeting.

According to him, though the union has lost a leading member and an academic, they were mindful of the feelings of the students and the public over the protracted industrial action.

He noted that all the union’s national officers as well as other branch chairmen had arrived at the ancient city for the assembly.

However, attempts by our correspondent on Friday evening to reach out to the University of Lagos chapter ASUU Chairman, Dr. Karo Ogbinaka, to confirm the meeting failed, as he did not pick his calls.

He also did not respond to the text message sent to his telephone.

Ogbinaka had earlier said the academic community was mourning Iyayi and so was not in a hurry to fix a new date for the NEC meeting.

The telephone line of the union’s National President, Dr.Nassir Fagge, also did not go through.

President Goodluck Jonathan had led a Federal Government team that met with the leadership of the union penultimate week.

Following the discussion, the FG reportedly promised to inject N220bn yearly into the public universities for the next five years. The new offer is to begin from 2014.

A majority of the chapters of the union had agreed on the suspension of the strike following the fresh commitment the leadership of ASUU obtained from the FG.

Teachers in the nation’s three but 78 public universities embarked on strike on July 1, 2013 to protest the failure of the FG to implement the agreement they signed with the authorities in 2009.

The pact largely centered on greater funding of the universities, a declaration of a state of emergency in tertiary education, better wages as well as payment of earned allowances to lecturers.

Copyright PUNCH.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

More Stories in News

People with disabilities can contribute to Nigerian economy – USADF

November 23rd, 2013 / Comments Read Full Story
Shoddy prosecution hampers case against UN building bombing suspects

Police quiz chiefs over Osun monarch’s killing

Recommended Stories

Weave it on!
November 23rd, 2013 / Comments

Read Full Story
Awkward moment with musician Chibuzor Dike aka Chibuzee

Read Full Story

Shopaholic With Doris Simeon

Read Full Story
Streelman, Bjorn lead at World Cup

Read Full Story

I contemplated suicide after breakup with Linda –Hulk Hogan

Read Full Story

Living under ‘power lines’ is dangerous but there’s nowhere else to go –Residents

Read Full Story
Related Stories

Read Full Story

Police, SSS helped Chime lock up wife – Falana

Read Full Story

Jonathan recovers, attends HICC meeting in London

Read Full Story

Are examines Ibadan’s contribution to educational development

Read Full Story

Criticism trails Reps’ move over foreign bank accounts

Read Full Story
Sinopec oil pipeline blast kills 35 in China

Read Full Story

Copyright © 2013 Punch Nigeria Limited

Back to tophttp://www.punchng.com/news/again-ASUU-leaders-meet-set-to-suspend-strike/
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Ayima: 1:33am On Nov 23, 2013
Ayima: 23rd November, 2013

Home
Again, ASUU leaders meet, set to suspend strike

NOVEMBER 23, 2013 BY KAMARUDEEN OGUNDELE
Leave a Comment

National President, ASUU, Nasir Issa-Faggae
There is strong indication that academic activities may resume in the nation’s public universities early next week, Saturday Punch has gathered.

Our correspondent gathered on Friday that members of the National Executive Council of the Academic Staff Union of the Universities again converged on Kano to deliberate on whether to call off their over four months old industrial action or not.

The NEC members, who gathered at the Bayero University, Kano, penultimate week to review the reports of the various university congresses over the strike, suspended the meeting following the death of Dr. Festus Iyayi. Iyayi, a University of Benin lecturer and former ASUU president, who died in an auto accident involving the convoy of the Kogi State Governor, Idris Wada, on his way to Kano to attend the NEC meeting.

There has been no date yet for the interment of his remains.

However, feelers from Kano on Friday indicated that the ASUU members went into hiding for the meeting.

One of our correspondents gathered that the NEC members, who reconvened in BUK, on Thursday, retired to a secret location for the meeting.

Reporters made frantic efforts to trace the venue of the meeting without success.

But many vehicles belonging to the members of the union were seen on campus.

But a member of ASUU NEC, who craved anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the development, confirmed to our correspondent that the union leaders were converging on Kano for the meeting.

According to him, though the union has lost a leading member and an academic, they were mindful of the feelings of the students and the public over the protracted industrial action.

He noted that all the union’s national officers as well as other branch chairmen had arrived at the ancient city for the assembly.

However, attempts by our correspondent on Friday evening to reach out to the University of Lagos chapter ASUU Chairman, Dr. Karo Ogbinaka, to confirm the meeting failed, as he did not pick his calls.

He also did not respond to the text message sent to his telephone.

Ogbinaka had earlier said the academic community was mourning Iyayi and so was not in a hurry to fix a new date for the NEC meeting.

The telephone line of the union’s National President, Dr.Nassir Fagge, also did not go through.

President Goodluck Jonathan had led a Federal Government team that met with the leadership of the union penultimate week.

Following the discussion, the FG reportedly promised to inject N220bn yearly into the public universities for the next five years. The new offer is to begin from 2014.

A majority of the chapters of the union had agreed on the suspension of the strike following the fresh commitment the leadership of ASUU obtained from the FG.

Teachers in the nation’s three but 78 public universities embarked on strike on July 1, 2013 to protest the failure of the FG to implement the agreement they signed with the authorities in 2009.

The pact largely centered on greater funding of the universities, a declaration of a state of emergency in tertiary education, better wages as well as payment of earned allowances to lecturers.

Copyright PUNCH.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

More Stories in News

People with disabilities can contribute to Nigerian economy – USADF

Shoddy prosecution hampers case against UN building bombing suspects

Recommended Stories

Weave it on!

Read Full Story
Awkward moment with musician Chibuzor Dike aka Chibuzee

Read Full Story

Shopaholic With Doris Simeon

Read Full Story
Streelman, Bjorn lead at World Cup

Read Full Story

I contemplated suicide after breakup with Linda –Hulk Hogan

Read Full Story

Living under ‘power lines’ is dangerous but there’s nowhere else to go –Residents

Read Full Story
Related Stories

Read Full Story

Police, SSS helped Chime lock up wife – Falana

Read Full Story

Jonathan recovers, attends HICC meeting in London

Read Full Story

Are examines Ibadan’s contribution to educational development

Read Full Story

Criticism trails Reps’ move over foreign bank accounts

Read Full Story
Sinopec oil pipeline blast kills 35 in China

Read Full Story

Copyright © 2013 Punch Nigeria Limited

Back to tophttp://www.punchng.com/news/again-ASUU-leaders-meet-set-to-suspend-strike/
I copied everything so that those people that like only the source will eat it.

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by odizeey(m): 2:44am On Nov 23, 2013
Comfam,whr dat guy wen say him go bayero n d area dry,
No dey lie like dis again.
phykels we blv u nw

2 Likes

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Nobody: 2:54am On Nov 23, 2013
odizeey: Comfam,whr dat guy wen say him go bayero n d area dry,
No dey lie like dis again.
phykels we blv u nw

in a way, d guy no talk lie...he just didnt investigate well. As for phykels, oshe btw welcome to Uniben Odizeey
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by odizeey(m): 2:58am On Nov 23, 2013
mi xpressive:
in a way, d guy no talk lie...he just didnt investigate well. As for phykels, oshe btw welcome to Uniben Odizeey
thnk u ma,.
Y una neva sleep sef,as for me i dey vigil
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by temitope23(m): 3:08am On Nov 23, 2013
odizeey: thnk u ma,.
Y una neva sleep sef,as for me i dey vigil

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Odunharry(m): 3:17am On Nov 23, 2013
any beta news abt d strike?
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by OME1(m): 3:19am On Nov 23, 2013
How far ? How far ?
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by barbstee(m): 3:20am On Nov 23, 2013
But y ar they hiding frm journalists,they should jst call off d strike and let us go bk 2 skul.
I rep EKSU
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Ptoocool(m): 3:26am On Nov 23, 2013
Breaking News: ASUU's NEC Members Spotted in Kano Gathering for a Secret Meeting

The National Executive Council (NEC) of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has probably entered a secret meeting in Kano at an undisclosed location on November 22, 2013, Friday.

According to a source of DailyTrust, the members of the National Executive Council of ASUU parked their cars in Bayero University, Kano's oldsite and entered a PTF coaster bus to an undisclosed location where the NEC meeting should be taking place in these minutes.

If the anonymous source of DailyTrust is not a mischief-maker, there are chances that decision on finishing the four-month-old ASUU strike may be ready by tomorrow.

http://m.naij.com/news/52703.html

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by oyedun82(m): 3:51am On Nov 23, 2013
barbstee: But y ar they hiding frm journalists,they should jst call off d strike and let us go bk 2 skul.
I rep EKSU
eksu?! Chai! Ur skul wey neva finish ist semester?
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by barbstee(m): 5:09am On Nov 23, 2013
oyedun82: eksu?! Chai! Ur skul wey neva finish ist semester?
Abi ooo,dont mind dem jare,dem slow past snail.Some factors ar responsible sha
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Ktwice(m): 5:10am On Nov 23, 2013
Finally, finally, finally, The strike is over, can't wait to go back to school
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by barbstee(m): 5:14am On Nov 23, 2013
Its d dawn of another day,"ASUU finally suspend strike" will arguably be the best headline for 2day.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by barbstee(m): 5:17am On Nov 23, 2013
K-twice:
Finally, finally, finally, The strike is over, can't wait to go back to school
Is that so? Whts ur source pls
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Adex097: 5:23am On Nov 23, 2013
Ptoocool: Breaking News: ASUU's NEC Members Spotted in Kano Gathering for a Secret Meeting

The National Executive Council (NEC) of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has probably entered a secret meeting in Kano at an undisclosed location on November 22, 2013, Friday.

According to a source of DailyTrust, the members of the National Executive Council of ASUU parked their cars in Bayero University, Kano's oldsite and entered a PTF coaster bus to an undisclosed location where the NEC meeting should be taking place in these minutes.

If the anonymous source of DailyTrust is not a mischief-maker, there are chances that decision on finishing the four-month-old ASUU strike may be ready by tomorrow.

http://m.naij.com/news/52703.html
[img]http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1429881_bayero-university-attack_jpgca5979710fe81a5a2dcd683adc267b79[/img]
Lawd hav mercy !! shocked

See school gate shocked

3 Likes

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Nobody: 5:31am On Nov 23, 2013
Lord hear d cry of ur children oh.....
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by paragon40(m): 5:36am On Nov 23, 2013
I pray God should grant them an accident free journey bk to their respective states IJN
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Ktwice(m): 5:45am On Nov 23, 2013
From one of my lecturer
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by lymelyte(m): 5:45am On Nov 23, 2013
If it was actually a rumour that they didn’t reconvene, ASUU by now,would have debunk such rumour .so guys,relax! You guyz are going back to sch nxt week..
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by kcy(m): 5:48am On Nov 23, 2013
why are they hiding for press?when they are still the one to meet....
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by toideve(m): 5:49am On Nov 23, 2013
Adex097:
[img]http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1429881_bayero-university-attack_jpgca5979710fe81a5a2dcd683adc267b79[/img]
Lawd hav mercy !! shocked

See school gate shocked

i just taya for the school gate. I de believe UNIBEN's main gate now
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by donkelz(m): 5:51am On Nov 23, 2013
I don tire for dis useless strike o! I just hope d NEC meeting truly held...Am a TUSKITE!...I REP UNIUYO!!!
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by complete1(m): 6:03am On Nov 23, 2013
O boy!o boy!o boy ye,i don wake up wash face,e yin guys ow far na,my sleep jst dey smell ASUU,wetin dey sup cry
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by complete1(m): 6:05am On Nov 23, 2013
donkelz: I don tire for dis useless strike o! I just hope d NEC meeting truly held...Am a TUSKITE!...I REP UNIUYO!!!
o boy weda d meeting hold no b d talk again,open punch news online u go see am,na d out come we dey wait for
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Hardeshyna(m): 6:12am On Nov 23, 2013
grin BREAKING NEWS!
ASUU STRIKE SUSPENDED
SOURCE: Koko inu iwe iroyin
grin grin
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by barbstee(m): 6:13am On Nov 23, 2013
So how far now?,have they?

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (109) (Reply)

Kogi State University, Anyigba 2012/2013, Admission Update / Nnamdi Azikiwe University Unizik 2015 - 2016 Final And Last Admission List / Unilorin Admission 2010/2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.